...druthers...

DamnitMan

100 µW
First-off...please don't flame this post, I have searched this forum a bit and cannot find the information that I think I need...Secondly, I'm not overly technologically proficient, so throwing a bunch of math and conversions at me really won't help...

I have a Trek Transport (not the "+" e-drive), and I would like to instal a mid-mount drive. Why mid-mount? I'm not sure, but I really think that it is the way to go for my application...mostly because of weight and balance, but also because I would like to use a NuVinci N-360 hub in back.

I would like to use my Transport as my main mode of transportation, so the system will need to be robust, durable and dependable.

I would like to be able to do 30 or so mph for extended durations, total range of 20-30 miles (yes, I understand range is a function of battery size/capacity)...mostly flat, a few steep hills. Ambient temps ranging from 0f to 80f...other atmospheric elements: sun, snow, rain, sleet, slush.

If you were to build this bike...if you had your druthers...which mid-drive would you use? Cranks? Controller? Throttle? Other components?

I really appreciate any insight/experiences/recommendations you can provide.

Thx
-MTunley

id use an industrial brushed motor for these extreme requirements , ive used several.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIPd5QY5a4
they will withstand extreme amperage and double to triple voltage , and are often internally fan cooled,but ur bike will be ugly and heavy

Damnitman, look at the Bafang BBS01 / BBS02.
Nice clean integrated system, works with NuVinci hub, reports are it is good on cargo bikes.
If you are in U.S., available from lectriccycles.com.
Pair it with 12-15 Ah NCM battery from em3ev.com.

bafang motor w/ 15ah batt wont go 30miles at 30mph as OP specified..
unless you like to pedal lots..
if im wrong (its possible;) please provide some evidence..

footloose said:
Damnitman, look at the Bafang BBS01 / BBS02.
Nice clean integrated system, works with NuVinci hub, reports are it is good on cargo bikes.
If you are in U.S., available from lectriccycles.com.
Pair it with 12-15 Ah NCM battery from em3ev.com.

You are right.
It will top out above 30 mph.
And it will go 30 miles.
But it won't go 30 miles distance at 30 mph constant.

...sorry...I "misspoke"...I meant that I would like to be able to go up to 30 (or so) mph for extended durations...say 10-20 minutes at a time...not for the full two hours that it would take me to cover 30 miles...

I have looked at the 8Fun (online) and really appreciate it's self-contained, integrated-ness, but truthfully, it looks like it's cheap, plastic junk that might last one season...I fondled at a Stoke Monkey (w/freewheel) that looked very well executed and there are a few others, like the EGo and AFT that look like they may be stout...but I dunno...that's where y'all come in.

Thank you for all of the answers so far.

Not really sure depends on the frame size...not seen mention of Druthers before on this forum so not sure of this style of frame that is..assuming it is a bike and not some other shaped pedal powered vehicle.

Best if you were to post picture of one up here so we can see what it looks like, wheel size etc, load capacity

druth•ers (ˈdrʌð ərz)

n. Informal.
one's own way, choice, or preference: If I had my druthers, I'd dance all night.
[1870–75; pl. of druther, (I, you, etc.) 'd rather (contraction of "would rather")]

:D

The bike is a Trek Transport http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/urban_utility/transport

DamnitMan said:
... it looks like it's cheap, plastic junk that might last one season...I fondled at a Stoke Monkey (w/freewheel) that looked very well executed ...

BBS0n is actually pretty robust and nicely made. I'm hoping for at least two seasons :wink:
If you really want robust reliable daily rider, Stoke Monkey appears hard to beat.
I don't have personal experience w/ Stoke Monkey, but... there isn't much to fail, and really no proprietary bits.
If I were planning cross country ride, it might be my choice. Like an old BMW cruiser, not fancy but right for the job.

"Druther" comes from "I'd Rather" do this than do that. Its a colloquialism from country folk, both of my parents come from farm people (Missouri and New Mexico).

If you have fairly flat land, you may be satisfied with the 36V/25A/500W version of the Bafang-BBS01, as the battery will cost less. If you have significant hills, you will not regret getting the higher voltage 48V/25A/750W, which is the BBS02.

Either voltage can be had in lower amperage controller versions for those who wish to remain completely legal (15A, 18A, 20A, etc) but...both versions are so small, that I doubt anyone will look twice at it to scrutinize whether it is a 250W motor (the power limit in the EU and elsewhere).

There are 9 levels of power assistance, so you can set the controls to provide half the amperage of the max allowable...

Postby efMX Trials Electric Freeride » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 am

bafang motor w/ 15ah batt wont go 30miles at 30mph as OP specified..
unless you like to pedal lots..
if im wrong (its possible;) please provide some evidence

Yeah the Bafang is not powerful enough for the OP's requirements.

.I fondled at a Stoke Monkey (w/freewheel) that looked very well executed and there are a few others, like the EGo and AFT that look like they may be stout..

Here is a type of build that should be strong enough to do what you want.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48110&start=25

Hey Gab... don't rule BBS0n out on power... So far my experience is system has plenty of grunt. With enough Ah, could go good distance at good speed. So far only thing I'm not sold on is "proprietary" nature of system. When a component breaks.. Proprietary = no fun.

+1 on the BBS02.

I installed one on my hardtail, and love it.

I think a better option than the N360 would be the N171b Developer's kit. - More Rugged for the 1200Watts you will be running through the BBS02.

WITHOUT a Nuvinci, I am averaging 13.5 Watts per mile, and a 10Ah battery will take me around 30 miles. I ride slow, though, probably averaging 15 mph.

Sorry I have not had time to respond to everyone's input...I have been checking in here and checking out suggestions, but I've also been busy finishing a degree program and applying for jobs...
Please don't stop with the suggestions, I'll reply with something more meaningful soon.

Thanks again,
MT

...soooo...still trying to sort some things out, including the most elusive element...cash...but I have made progress. I have my N-360 built into a Velocity Dually and have mostly settled on, but not yet purchased, the R-handed Stoke Monkey...which brings me to this question. Has anyone looked at the practicability of integrating a Patterson Metropolis gearbox (http://pattersonbike.com/patterson-transmission-crankset/) with a Stoke Monkey? I was thinking that with their Gates belt adapter I might be able to run 2 chain rings, one inboard and one outboard of the adapter; the inner for the SMonkey and the outer for the drive chain...any thoughts?

You can see the Gates adapter in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gPoR5-7xkR4#t=9

Back