D's RC Drive Kona DC1

Hi D,

If the belt works its a great idea.

How are you going to adjust the tension of the secondary belt?

Are a wide range of pulley sizes and belt lengths available?

I'm still concerned about the belt holding up in your application. Every time the wheel hits the ground if the motor is turning the rear wheel faster than the bike is moving there will be a jolt through the drive line. This sounds good though:
http://www.cycledrive.com/faq.html
Is the belt as strong as a chain?
The Kevlarâ„¢ reinforced CDrive Belt is stronger than any bicycle chain; it will not stretch or break on a bicycle.

But these are concerns:
Does the belt skip?
The CDRIVE system will not jump or skip under any normal pedaling pressure. In some circumstances, a strong and experienced rider 'putting the system to the test' might be able to skip the belt. This is not recommended as it can lead to shortened belt life.

Can the CDrive belt system work on any bike?
The system is not recommended for Mountain bikes or other situations where conditions could be very muddy.

Hi Mitch,

yes its the cdrive belt system we're going to try out, i need to get hold of one of cdrives 80t crank pulleys and also a 14t for the gb output.
stage 1 is 5mm,stage 2 is 8mm belt/pitch, as i understand it the 2nd stage is under more torque so i need a more robust belt? anyway those are the sizes advised by Matt, who we know has run the recumbant hard on the 5mm, and Miles who has the beautiful moulton has the 8mm experience, if it works, and i think it will :mrgreen: it should be sweet, if it doesnt i'll concede and go to chain maybe, but really i want all belt for reduction if poss, then all bog standard from there on to and including the wheel.
adjusting the tensioning isnt something i have completely thought out yet tbh but im hoping to be able to tension it well with the mounting of the drive, maybe an adjustable mount that i can torque up some if the belt gets slack, should be doable,we'll see.
Neither of the 8mm pulley companies returned my naive mail requests for one of each so i dont have either 8mm pulley on the way,im hoping this wont stop me but i definately need to be sneakier with them next time.

the jolt through the drive line is there with a hub too, indeed that scenario of landing the rear with the wheel being faster than the landing speed (throttle on landing) is exactly what killed my puma, however, i totally consider this to be the riders error and whats the worst that can happen? bit of belt skip? snapped belt? i think it'll be fine mate :)
Anyway we'll soon know, parts are arriving!!

Cheers,

D

http://www.astroflight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=h329l5s9oe5ooqcr56qld2bver6h8jli
http://www.astroflight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7832&start=1

I have an 8120 6t and a 3210 12t

Hi Miles,

they both look quite nice, small too - how would both fare with my setup?
i have to keep the kv low and cant work out the rating for one of them, when you say you have them,do you mean you have them for sale? :lol:
what was your take on motor selection for me, the pletty is out i guess at 200kv so it has to be 150ish for my gearing?

Cheers,

D

I could sell you the 8120, but the 3210 is for my next project :) If you want around 150 rpm/volt, though, you'll need to get one custom wound, either 10t, as Gary's (Kv 135) or 8t (Kv 169).

The essential data is here: http://www.astroflight.com/pdfs/3210.pdf

I should think they'll work fine in your set-up. They're inrunners, so they're quite robust and they're also enclosed. The SmCo magnets means you don't have to worry about heat degradation... David managed to blow one up, but at a very high rpm....

how do the inrunners bear the load of the shaft? wasnt that a concern and thats why the norm was an outrunner with good shaft support at each end?
i like the look of the inrunners,nice and compact, muds system is impressive and mines very similair so maybe......
im not sure on continuous power? i was hoping a peak of 4-5kw initially?

D

The shaft is supported by a bearing about as far outboard as is possible, either end - beyond that, it's down to the bearing spec.

What is your target motor rpm and max. continuous power needed?

sorry miles i'm really unsure of what your asking me :roll: , i based all my power figures on using the pletty, but it is possible i dont need as much power as i think i do?
(thumbs vigourously at previous posts for maths check :shock: )

D

say 20% grade, fast as possible :) torque and acceleration from 0- 25/30mph is much more important than top end to me?

D

yup, sure does.
in terms of my puma i would hit that kind of figure under full throttle uphill at that grade.
this time round i'd like to do much better but does it follow that i'd have to double power to double performance now im running rc through gears?

Cheers,
D

ahh yes, understood.
i guess what i meant is i know what 2600w feels like in a fixed gear hub, i dont know what that power feels like over 3 gears so i cant gauge how much i want?
my pack/controller allows 5kw but i dont know if i need all that i would guess i want around 4kw?
By the way how do i limit the current to the motor if my choice of motor is 3kw tops? :? :cry:

D

You have a maximum speed for your motor, in order to be able to gear it down enough - so, how much power you can get out of any particular motor will be determined by that.

What is the voltage of your battery pack?

deecanio said:
By the way how do i limit the current to the motor if my choice of motor is 3kw tops? :? :cry:
You could use the current limiter in fechter's throttle-controller gizmo.

my pack is 50v (49.5).
would the 3220 5 t work for me?...... http://www.astroflight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=123
doing the math on 137rpm/v that would end up giving me 240rpm at the crank so seems good, ouch on price tho.

D

3.2" is easily doable? thats the exact width of my battery box (80mm). :D
i look at matts gb single stage pic inverted as thats how mine is going in, motor at the top - i think it'll fit nicely.the gb will be 4 1/2 " wide at least so whats the total length? let me look.
am i right in thinking this motor would handle all i could throw at it power wise?
6-6800rpm motor speed, my geardown is 28.5-1, anything around the 200rpm mark at the crank should be good.

D

sorry Miles (50+ hours in this week already,brains fried) 3.6" + shaft?
+10mm for the motor bracket? thats getting a smidge too big then 92+10+25= 127mm 4 1/2" is roughly 115mm :(
then i guess my next question is where do i get the specs for the 3215? :mrgreen:
do you make that math right? just rough i know but shame if its just too big.

D

3.6 is excluding shaft but i could cut excess off right and butt up close?
it's close miles, and it would give me a more "balanced" system. i had 5kw in mind as the max the 5mm belt would play with so it does seem to fit nicely?

D

The GB output pulley is within the motor's length, so the motor can be quite close to the RH crank.. Have you got the bike back, yet?

[Time for some sleep, I think...]

Back