• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

D's RC Drive Kona DC1

Hi Deec

Glad you had a nice time and you got the fuse ok be interested to hear if it works ok, I kind of built it off centre so it should go in better 1 way than the other, you will see what I mean when you plug it in.

Looking forward to having another go when its all sorted!! cheers for sharing those pictures that scoot looks like a lot of fun!! dont work too hard mate and glad to hear that you are healing up.

Knoxie

guys, having an issue finding extron's in the uk, my usual place is running down stock and doesn't stock the 72t :cry:
Anyone have a link or can ship me one from across the pond for less than $31 shipping????? best price i've found is 15$ or so - damn shame as i got my previous 2 from the uk for £4.99, bugger.
If not i may have to get an ally one off ebay :( bound to be noisier than my beloved composite tho.
btw what was the final outcome on the throttle setup? would i be better off compatability wise using a bec/magura? Matt, what do you use on your monsters???
need to order spares so that im set for when im off work, let the craziness continue!!!

D

Wow, Miles. Do you have a magic link for those sprockets in the US at that price?

should be ok to get them in the US dbaker? it's just the shipping that's a killer.
Moogle - you rock :mrgreen: 1 x extron bought, it's that gold colour which makes me think its the ally one but meh :)

Kim, that breaker you showed me, i can find a 500a one in the uk but the voltage is only 24v? do i need a 50v one? i just want to cut the pack incase of emergency, btw way looking at maguras, waiting on Matt to advise of bec if required, in the meantime i'll turn the box down and go for a ride anyway, tame that beast :twisted:

D

Man, is there a hospital near where D lives, this could get messy. :lol:

Considering your last ride, maybe one of those jetski style tethers that kill the motor wouldn't be such a bad idea, hey?

Oh by the way, anybody wanna buy a Fechter box??? :oops:

Pedal up to speed before hooking in the motor this time, i reckon about 25mph should
do it, kick in the power then, of course make sure its on a long road and there is always clear view
for the person filming this epic feat :p

KiM

p.s alternatively...i would advise nearest skate park for next ride Deec, i think your progressing fast so we need to up the stakes a bit more ... :mrgreen:

lol,

fear not my fellow loons, im not up near the echelons of monsieurs methods and physics yet, im just ordering shin,forearm guards and a spangly new 661 lid :mrgreen: - next tests will be on slightly softer ground with full safety gear on!!!
fech's box is fine, just don't turn the current limiting off!!, i've decided for now just to turn it down and put up with the slight surging, altho i did notice this time before last it wasn't that bad tbh, anyway it works until i sort something else out, need to get a pack kill switch like Kim suggested and get those pesky caps in situ, i may hold off until knoxie comes over then ask him to assist setting up but for sure i'll ride as is again soon.
im on nights at the mo but come thursday i will power up the beast and get some readings from that epic first test ;) - then i'll pop on the caps and turn the box down and try again, whats the worst that could happen? :twisted: - i'll take some vid but it wont be as good as when paul is around, nothing like 3rd person footage imo. I'm inspired by the builds popping up now which are controllable and powerful, hope no one was put off by my stack, it was all stupidity on my part by maxing everything out :oops:
i have a couple of weeks off soon so hopefully i'll be posting vids daily unless i break down, or an arm ;)
by the way i tried to pedal up to speed last time and leaned wayy forward, all to no avail :lol: - i'll do the wheel off the ground test as Ypedal suggested before i make changes, my money is on full throttle at less than full twist - i only touched it i swear :mrgreen:

D

d,

i have a few surplus extrons here i would post out to you gratis, what size do you want?
Nothing happening with my build until next week but i did get a spangly new lid, 661 full face, from £110 down to £42, bargain, chain reaction if anyone wants one, limited sizes only.

D

Thanks, D. Hold on to them. I need to make some time and get my Hall sensored 3220 and controller finished before I can tune my build.

Hi All,

some data i pulled from the bike today, i had forgotten the sequence of data cable then power and couldn't figure out why i had no connection but i got there eventually, interesting reading too :shock:
8kw if im reading correctly?
let me know what you guys think whilst i look at the log in more detail, i tried to post it up for those with cc link but the forum doesnt allow the .csv file?
Anyway hopefully you can see these dumps in the meantime.

D

Attachments

• esc.jpg
    esc.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,880
  • graph2.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,935

Attachments

• wholegraph.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,929
Throttle response needs to be turned right down Deec
no wonder its so twitchy personally would turn the motor startup speed
down too, i have mine ~18v or 20V ...your still ~2700watt
short of my Turnigy Deec c'mon mate let it rip :p

KiM

no shit it does mate :lol:
how does the motor startup speed work?
looking at the figures again how do you read the throttle in/power out figures there? looks like im getting nearly max power for a small increase no?
how are my ripples looking?? :lol:
catch up? :shock: 8kw is more than ill ever need :wink:

D

Some interesting dumps there :lol:

Yes looks like a fairly savage output doesn't it! ha ha, well erm you know that anyway don't you!! how did the fuse resistor plug work? did it help reduce the sparks and if so how long did you leave it in before you plugged the other fuse in or did you just leave it in? or maybe you don't need to power the controller up to read it?

Anyways you should be set to play and get that throttle sorted you can do this in software right? in the meantime you will have to post pictures of your pads and new lid!!

Laters

Knoxie

Hi Paul,Kim,

i couldnt get the fuse in mate, i need to slim it down some and try again, for the readings i have to be powered up so i "manned up" and shoved a 40a in, kerzaaappp and shes in lol.
lid and shins turned up, very good price on the lid too so well happy.
I haven't done a stroke on the bike even though i've had days off, im going to wait and see whats the best config once my throttle and servo turn up, i dont see the point in running prior to that which would mean using Richards box solely as a throttle converter, if there any issues with compatability with the 160 then i dont want to blow mine up finding out more ;)
I want a full pack kill too so im hoping to sneak it in once richards box comes out, once i see the throttle setup i'll be able to cut the wires to match better too, anything else seems a bit halfway house and the weather is a bit shit anyway.
One thing tho, without richards box i have no way to limit how much current the esc draws (not good) - i know the software only goes as low as 160a but we've seen that setting pull over 200a, this isn't a problem as long as the throttle modulation is up to scratch, i should only see full power at max throttle, will that be the case?
Anyway at this rate i'll need to waterproof the box so i can get some autumn riding in :)

D

Attachments

• DSC00238 (Small).JPG
    DSC00238 (Small).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,778
Hi Deec

I thought the fuse would go in on one side of the fuse carriers? from the photo I took of them they are offset so it should go in one of them? so you are getting a throttle and a zervo then? you will still need to run the CA shunt even if you loose fechters throttle box so I am not sure how much space that i will save you?
Pads a lid look good mate, yes the weather has been a load of rubbish hasnt it, it hasnt stopped raining has it??

I need to get out and have a play on the KMX soon so hoping for nicer weather as well, I do about 40 miles a week on my full susser and the rain has completely changed the trails, there were fairly even with mud sand and rocks, the rain has washed the mud out and left just rocks!! quite a different and very bumpy prospect.

When will you get your servo then? you have time off at the end of this month dont you? so no excuse not to get it ready (apart from the big one on your forearm of course ) :lol:

Knoxie

lol, i have no hang ups with the arm, im ready to ride it again but the setup needs to gain a little trust back ;) i dont mind ending up on my arse if i goosed it too much :lol: but last ride didn't end up the way i planned :oops:
I have gone from 5 to 1 (of10) on throttle response so it should be much better next time out, but im a little worried that i can't cap the current using this method, if i can't limit the power to something sensible which it seems i can't? the throttle needs to be bloody good at modulation, Matts had good sucess with the straight up no interference setup ie, servo,magura,esc so i thought i might try that and see if can gain enough room to at least get a pack kill in there, just in case :shock:
I don't know when the throttle will arrive, if Matt looks in maybe he can give me a heads up and im off now mate, due back to work in september :mrgreen:
i think i was a little naive going straight to the 3220 and hv160, i had thought that i could limit the power with Richards box and that the overkill would help to keep everything at usable levels, ie, heat etc ,tbh i only need limited power, with my current setup of single reduction then chain i may even have got away with a hv110 and a 3210 but i didn't try it :roll: i need to find a happy balance that my puma gave me but doesn't fall to pieces if you jump it :lol: we'll know soon enough i guess, i have put on the 72t from 80t which should help also.
If i fit my caps now and run i have to use fech's box, and run it on full to help the esc, it seems a waste to risk blowing either for a ride or two.
funnily enough jozz suggested i lace up my spare rim with a xlyte 4 series, just for a quick ride when the rc was out of commission - i've thought about running one with a lyen at say 75v 50a but i dont have the money spare to setup for that at the mo.
i tried the fuse in the black hole ? i'll look at the other one and see if it goes in, would be nice not to have that crack each time i need to power up ;)
i fear i've missed the season again, forest is soaked with all the rain and my motor phases are right under the bike, at the mo i feel that's there no immediate answer to a controlled setup, although i have my pedals back from crank drive the rc setup doesn't play as well as a hub with assist, but does a damn of fine job of yeehah.

D

Even with my tiny 3210, i crack the throttle like 5% and hold it there for a second or 2, then roll on slowly from there for a smooth take off.. think of the throttle as an RPM setting vs an amp draw. the motor will just get to the rpm amps be damed.... and for god sakes man... weight on the pedals, knees clamped to the bike, shifting your weight forward and go man go....... video.... GO..... !!!!! :D

Hi

Loving y pedals enthusiasm! ha ha he hasn't tried to ride old Kona Bronco though lol! Matt's setup sounds like a very good solution to me Deec, I wouldn't stress about getting a disconnecting contactor in there too much mate? any solenoid that is going to be man enough to do it will be too big, the relay you had in there was fine for the Puma but not the fat amps your RC rig wants.

If it was your everyday ride / commuting vehicle then maybe worry about such things but this is more of an off road plaything or electric crosser that will be ridden at weekends and for fun yes? also you have to take the side cover off to charge as well, main contactor is a nice touch however its not going to stop you falling off the back you would have to have lightning reactions to do that, I would fit Matt's throttle and see how you go with that.

Forest will dry out, we often have a nice September following a wet August plenty of time for riding yet mate, get that thing a bit more splash proof and you are good to go, I think your choice of motor and controller is a good one! time will tell on how reliable it is, again the simplicity of a hub motor is great but wont offer you the same ass kicking performance, it depends what you want I suppose.

I still think a small variant pancake motor like the Lemco mounted in the A frame direct driving the back wheel is a good option, stupid amounts of torque, cheap controller, much lower RPMS and better efficiency, I have one in my loft! I know the motors are heavy but if it was me for a purely off road bike I would ditch the peddles (makes things too complicated) leave them on the bike to make it look legal and then direct drive the back wheel like you have been doing.

When I get a bit more time I may do this just to see how it performs, for off road use I think it would be a blast and pretty bullet proof.

Anyways stick with what you got that's me day dreaming, I reckon we can tame the beast.

Knoxie

Aye thats the plan Knoxie, wait for Matts throttle and give it another go - kona bronco LOL.
i bet once i have the servo in there and everything is smooth i'll be stoked, once i get over my HCP (hard crash pooper) ;)
i only need a couple of hours to be set to ride, hopefully the throttle will arrive with some better weather!! i'll be ready, your welcome to come and ride if you fancy, bring your lid!!!!
Vid soon Y, i promise!!

D

Hi All,

quick post as i need a steer before i rewire the bike, Matt sent me through the Magura and servo setup but i want some advice on a couple of wiring questions i have, im hoping that Gary and Richard might peek in to give some insight with the lvc board but if anyone can guide me with the BASICS on the throttles, that would be great.

The magura, it looks like a good solid unit compared to my chinese thumb, and the action is nice, if a little fierce, however one thing realy annoys me,....Its the grip. It is too short. i got a good deal from Matt (what's new) so im happy as servo and all work is included, but if i'd bought the throttle seperately i wouldn't be too impressed tbh - why the hell dont they just extend the throttle tube and have the user cut to length is beyond me, in its original form i find one of two things happen, either my thumb rubs on the collar, or i move my hand away a bit and my palm overlaps the end of the bar :roll:
Anyway, modding that, now for the real issue, the Magura is a pot throttle corect?, my thumb isn't so i have an issue with the lvc board (one of Garys i think) - Now i spoke to jozz and he explained how it worked to me but that was 3 days ago and i've been to a wedding (hic) sooo, IIRC, the lvc used to work by putting a resistance across the throttle wires, shown in the pics - with the thumb throttle i had ground,steady 5v and varying 1-5v (i think) so it would put resistance between ground and the varying?
My poor understanding illustrated, can i use the lvc to cut throttle with the magura? also, can i connect up my kill switch to it?
I need to understand how the two throttles work differently and what colour wires relate inside the magura?
whilst im finding out i'll put up proposed new wiring, it made sense to tidy up the wiring in the box so i've done the stripping out already and whilst im there i'll schmic up the box some too, new wiring will be nice and tidy, i want to look inside and be able to see all connections clearly and keep the cables to a minimum if possible.

Cheers,
D

Attachments

• DSC00252 (Small).JPG
    DSC00252 (Small).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,082
  • DSC00253 (Small).JPG
    DSC00253 (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,082
  • DSC00254 (Small).JPG
    DSC00254 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,082