Dual sport bike using a Hubmonster motor Video pg3

Throttle is smooth all the time, compared to the greentime it's like having 1000 steps vs just 5 steps of control. The bike has plenty of power still on take off. Just not enough to pop a wheely yet. Next motor I might revisit the fan like I mocked up on the mini-monster, but a alloy on from a 250cc scooter engine.

Why would I want to be conservative? :) I ll sell this one build the next one and see how far it can go before it melts down worst case I find out the max for the motor and have to buy a new one. But seriously I am betting on these high efficacy hubs to get a land speed record in the near future. Now that will be fun :)

Conservative in the same vein as the Tesla Model S...Slaughter everything while maintaining efficiency and reliability.

For wheelies I'll wait for a controller that includes anti-flip and wheelie control. 8)

A real record attempt would be awesome. Let me know if I can help. Do you have a place to run with a paved surface. With electrics I'd try to avoid the salt, since I hear they're wet and salty, a bad combo for electrics. Texas has an event called the Texas Mile...anything comparable down under?

Yeah I ended up way wrong about the Mini and that centrifugal fan blade you were thinking of using would have been perfect. The pieces of angle iron commonly used for gypsum board corners works great for me, and since they can so easily get on and off, getting the rim off for a tire change is no different. The shape of the flattish sides work to make them act like lock washers and never rattle or come loose. Thin but rigid and no rust, and simple and cheap to make.

Bluefang are you running dual kbl96251? could you please post some audio of your <50kph operation, particularly regen when set to 85% on both controllers.

Dyno will be useful.. I have some data to compare.

Thanks

Only using the KEB72801X controllers, so the small ebike controllers that are only meant to do 8kw and are currently peaking at 16kw each. Unfortunately one of the controllers has gone "spark and Bang" on me. Only thing i was doing at the time was removing some crimp connectors and soldering them to increase reliability. No idea why it went so its been sent back for a warranty repairs/replacement.

Really inconvenient time for it to go, A) I am broke and need to sell the bike to move on B) I had someone lined up for viewing the bike the following day to try and convince them to let me build them a bike with better performance then a Zero for cost price(or close enough) $12k+ donor instead of the $30k it is in Australia. Freaking hurt emailing him to say "sorry mate i blew up a controller, want to have a look now or in 4 weeks when i have it back together?" C) Had someone ask about buying the bike.....way to show good reliability. lol :mrgreen:

Gotta drain and short the capacitors while working on controllers.

eidt- using a resistor. My son did it once without a resistor on a 30fet controller, and that bang had our ears ringing for hours.

No idea what happened, all the wiring was complete. Put it on the ground turned it on again after it ran in the air all good to test under load and it went when I pulled the throttle.

Its was only a small spark and a bang. Nothing to see as its all fully sealed. The motor cannot free wheel when connected to the controller so it's somehow shorted between the phases. Pretty sure it comes down to bad luck.

Yeah sorry about the bad luck. Get that bike going and sold, so you can get on to one with better luck, and lighter, and sleeker through the air....maybe a beefier version of your last bike. I loved the rib-like frame shape of the battery area. It always reminded me of a cheetah or jaguar fully extended in mid-stride. How's that one running?...Still on the original controller?

Nahh the Greenmonster is running on the larger 120V kelly now, the greentime controller gave up the ghost when he undid the side covers and lost a screw letting water in over time, needed to be upgraded tho as the cutouts were a pain and the throttle control was lousy. I did not get a chance to play with the controller properly so its still got a bit of potential left in it but atm its buttery smooth acceleration with almost perfect throttle control i am told :). It may be coming back to me with some extra cash thrown in as the owner wants to upgrade to a full suspension bike. He is asking me to fit a mini-monster, >2kwh of batteries, a larger kelly controller all onto a bike that looks more like a push bike then the Greenmonster. Ummmmmm, going to be interesting as i have a few ideas on how to do it. I should find out tomorrow and finally get to start up another proper build. Oh and it has to be able to do over 100km/h preferably in a wheely. :mrgreen: I ll make it happen and video it when he falls off :twisted:

Don't forget to add exterior blades to that MiniMonster and get some real flow through it. I still haven't touched my pair of high voltage greentime 24's in the bread boxes. I think I can tame them enough with a Throttle Tamer, and maybe clip one shunt wire off to lower the current. Then put the pair in a proper size case and run a well blown MidMonster in a mid-drive. Put a 30-32s but gear it to 80kph tops and it should make a hell of an off-roader.

The replacement controller arrived from Kelly yesterday, 2 week turn around including shipping is not bad. Full warranty replacement which is great.

100km of test riding in one day, works pretty well i would say. Some work to be done as the main power connections must be dodgy as the voltage drop is huge when accelerating and cutting out. And a self contained precharge curcuit to be added rather then a switch.

DSC_0426[2].jpg
Single plug charging to be all set for more riding tonight

I haven't seen it in its full glory...The bike looks awesome! Is that neoprene again as a battery cover, because you did something to really dress up your battery box? Did you ever get it on a scale?

Yeah it's a neoprene cover, simple and water proof. The bike is 150kg. It's running well now just have to tighten afew connections, only problem now it the hall signals go abit odd when accelerating, the CA reads 170kmh rather then the 60 or so I am doing. Only on full acceleration of 32kw does this happen tho.

Such a simple bile to use atm, come home plug it in flick on 2 switches and all sorted. Need to mod the charger fan to be quieter tho :(

150kg :shock: No wonder you guys keep wanting to push the current ever higher. Mine weighs 70kg with a 2.3kwh battery pack and I want to trim that by 10-20kg. I've gotta come out with frame for HubMonsters....Monocoque, 4130 steel exoskeleton plus composite panels to form the rigid monocoque structure.

Bluefang said:
...only problem now it the hall signals go abit odd when accelerating, the CA reads 170kmh rather then the 60 or so I am doing. Only on full acceleration of 32kw does this happen tho.

Does it register that high number in the Max Speed on the CA? I take it that you have the controllers tied together at the throttle. If so, then it sounds like a voltage differential feeding through. I've messed up controllers and CA's combining the throttles. The throttle tamer seems to fix that issue, but I'm not entirely happy with that either. I've got some of GWhy's cable throttle to hall adapters on the way with the intention of going to dual hall throttles pulled by one moto throttle cable using a cam to create a smooth start.

Yeah those adapters Gwhy came up with are great, I wont use them on this bike as they are not really needed for now and I cant be bothered reworking the bike to get them onto it.

For now the bike is for sale, $8500 gets you a fully working electric road legal motorbike with 32kw of power and around town range of ~100km :mrgreen:

Its on Ebay, For ES members i will offer $1000 discount or assist with modefying the Kelly controller or replacing with a Sabvoton controller if more start up current is needed. Its quick but not full power electric quick due to current limiting.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electric-Cafe-Motorbike/151380030081?_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211150826%26meid%3Dd0544ed34db644b89ce38ffb1719e596%26pid%3D100103%26prg%3D20140211150826%26rkt%3D4%26clkid%3D9028136152947755894&_qi=RTM1714243

DSC_0553.jpg
View attachment 4
View attachment 3
DSC_0556.jpg
DSC_0557.jpg
DSC_0558.jpg

Back