Dutch police found a way to test e-bike power on the side of the road

?
If you need to move more than 10 miles an hour OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to pass someone then you don't need to pass them - they are traveling fast enough, and you can stay under the speed limit and travel calmly to your destination.

If you can't keep the promises you made when you signed your driver's license, you can stop driving.
I guess that you have never driven behind someone that made you extremely nervous and scared. I want to be in front of those drivers, but not only in front, but have one or two vehicles between us. I do not want to have that vehicle to cause an accident which includes me. Sometimes as a driver you are required to travel fast for short distances for safety.

Tom

?
If you need to move more than 10 miles an hour OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to pass someone then you don't need to pass them - they are traveling fast enough, and you can stay under the speed limit and travel calmly to your destination.

If you can't keep the promises you made when you signed your driver's license, you can stop driving.
Lol! I am a safe driver and have been for over 40 years. Maybe driving is different down under where there are less people, but situations come up that require fast reflexes to avoid an accident. California is full of bad drivers: aggressive and angry drivers and drivers that don't pay attention to the road because they are busy with their phones. And yes, there are people you need to pass because driving behind them is not the safe option. People that drive slowly and distracted until there is a passing lane and then they speed up, trucks on a mountain road that kick up rocks into your windsheild, people that are all over the lane and the shoulder and seem to be drunk or under the influence of something, etc.

I guess that you have never driven behind someone that made you extremely nervous and scared. I want to be in front of those drivers, but not only in front, but have one or two vehicles between us.

You can slow down and accomplish the same thing without speeding and endangering other road users.

Lol! I am a safe driver and have been for over 40 years.

The mantra of the habitual reckless driver. If your "safe" driving involves passing people who are already speeding, then that's you.

And yes, there are people you need to pass because driving behind them is not the safe option.

If you fall back to a safe distance, then driving behind them is as safe as driving can be. Yes, it requires a little patience and good judgment, which you may not have available.

You can slow down and accomplish the same thing without speeding and endangering other road users.
According to WHO ...... CURRENTLY NOT people that teach safe driving.

I have seen too many times where a bad driver caused an accident, collecting innocent drivers and passengers behind them, usually it is only the innocent people that get hurt.

If a bad driver is in front of you, you are in danger, if they cause an accident, then they could collect many other drivers, including yourself up in that accident. Your safest place is to stop (but you can't do that because you would never be able to get anywhere trying to avoid the dangerous drivers. The next best is to get infront of the bad driver, preferably with more then one vehicle between you and the bad driver as a buffer.

I am not condoning overall speeding, but to pass a dangerous situation, then yes you should have the ability to do that.

If you fall back to a safe distance, then driving behind them is as safe as driving can be. Yes, it requires a little patience and good judgment, which you may not have available
It is not as simple as you are saying. If the danger is in front of you, and you are going in that direction, then you are staying heading into danger unless you actually STOP.

Now what if that driver causes a fire in a wreck, collect a fuel truck up in the accident (possible explosion) , do you actually STILL WANT to be heading into that direction or ahead of it driving away from the accident. Drive with awareness and defensively, sometimes defensively means avoiding trouble by getting ahead of trouble, not behind it, driving into trouble.

Tom

Last edited:
If a bad driver is in front of you, you are in danger, if they cause an accident, then they could collect many other drivers, including yourself up in that accident.

Anybody who is speeding too fast to respond to conditions can be caught in a crash that way. That's why best practice is not to violate the speed limit all the time like most callously indifferent car drivers do.

Anybody who is speeding too fast to respond to conditions can be caught in a crash that way. That's why best practice is not to violate the speed limit all the time like most callously indifferent car drivers do.
You are unbelievable, also ignorant to actual facts in life, not all situations can be safely governed by the all "EXACT" rules. Why do they actually create a "passing lane" ..... according to you, there is no need for a "passing lane" as you should just follow. If there is a driver driving too slow, weaving, just continue to follow, they are braking the law and no matter what you shouldn't, just slow down and follow.

Actually, drivers handbooks and teaching materials instruct drivers to speed up to pass drivers if it is needed then slow back down.

It is irresponsible for any driver to drive recklessly and not according to conditions. Speeding is not necessarily reckless, reckless is the manor in how you speed.

Do you just argue to hear yourself (or to read what you type)

Tom

Do you just argue to hear yourself (or to read what you type)

In this case I'm speaking for not only cyclists and peds, but the motorists who comprise most of the 45,000 dead per year and many more injured and disabled by car driving sociopaths in the USA. Speed kills, and your weak justifications for your own misbehavior don't change that a bit.

In this case I'm speaking for not only cyclists and peds, but the motorists who comprise most of the 45,000 dead per year and many more injured and disabled by car driving sociopaths in the USA. Speed kills, and your weak justifications for your own misbehavior don't change that a bit.
I think that you need to apologize for the FALSE accusation you made of "my own misbehavior ". I never claimed to be a person speeding, only that at times it is needed to avoid trouble on the road. They even teach that in driving instruction classes.

Yes speeding causes deaths, but not as much as impaired. Driving too slow is dangerous and causes deaths as well as driving too fast. I am over 60 years old, no speeding tickets (almost 1 when riding a bicycle lol) and I am a safe driver. I even have to deal with a lot of snow in the winter. For over 15 years my job required me to be in the road delivering products. Our trucks were governed to either the speed limit or just below (highway speeds).

I apologize to the original poster of this thread for allowing it to get so far off topic. I am done here with this part, I do expect an apology but I don't that I will get one for the personal attack and unfounded claim.

Tom

I guess that you have never driven behind someone that made you extremely nervous and scared. I want to be in front of those drivers, but not only in front, but have one or two vehicles between us. I do not want to have that vehicle to cause an accident which includes me. Sometimes as a driver you are required to travel fast for short distances for safety.
In 70+ years behind the wheel i honestly can't remember of such a situation ("extremely nervous and scared"). Yes, [unprovoked] borderline road rage once or twice in 70+ years, but i did nothing to inflame what may have been initiated by a drunk driver (or whatever). So it de-escalated almost as quickly as it had escalated.

Actually agree with your "once in a lifetime example" even if not the best plan of action. Guess we've all resorted to such borderline action. Whether it's defensive driving on our part is debateable; despecially if we have to go over the speed limit to accomplish our common sense objective..

Last edited:
I don't know, but when I drove fast motorcycles I had 2 rules. Nobody behind, and nobody in front of me. It worked for awhile.

situations come up that require fast reflexes to avoid an accident

That does not require vehicle speed beyond what you already pledged you would not exceed. Your "reflexes" (probably you actually mean your speed of response?) aren't connected to your vehicle speed.

If you need to change how you live your life in order to keep the word you have already given, then change it and pay the actual cost of your promise.

Stop making up excuses why you should not keep your own word. No, no one is doing anything to you, and you are not a victim.

Back