Ebike lighting

I wanted also to add my ebike bright headlight, but that kind of model so it don't blind other cyclist etc. So i bought Lupine SL X, it has automatic drl (daylight running lights), and when there is dark enough it switch to low beam lights automatically on. And i can change to high beam just pressing one button (and back to low beam). There is link for that light https://www.lupine.de/products/e-bike-lights/sl-x/sl-x-(45km-h)

Also i wanted turn signals / blinkers. Front i use those kind of turn signals (they are in handlebar ends) https://www.motogadget.com/shop/en/m-blaze-disc.html

Rear blinkers i use those https://www.kellermann-online.com/en/atto/152.200

I didn't want big and clumsy buttons to operate them. So i think little bit and ended to add buttons to my brake levers. So when i push left brake lever forward it activate left turn signals, and of course right activates right turn signals. When i push them very briefly it actives turn signals to 5 seconds and then they go off automatically. But if i keep them pushed at one second it keeps turn signal on, until i push another side lever. And also then there is little beep to remind me that turn signals are on without timer.

There is little video about those. https://youtube.com/shorts/PwfTpKAAv0M?feature=share

There is a little bit older video about those blinkers in my bike, in that video blinkers are fixed in mudguard. Now they are in rear rack which can see previous video [youtube]tOrhXVyt9mc[/youtube]

And there is picture of my bike when is dark
1_IMG 20220907 212709.jpg

E-HP said:
The Madmadscientist said:
I like the shape and it comes in a red anodized looking finish. 130dB is fricken loud! But needed. My experience in the MC world lots of folks who commute on ther MC install horns like these.

I have about 300K+ miles on motorcycles, and I can honestly say, I've never used a horn. If I ever paused long enough to use it, I wouldn't be alive today.

I've been riding since I was 16, now 53, when I ride in traffic on the freeway (yes, lane splitting it's legal here) I cover my horn which I use often to convince cage drivers to not run me down.
But ymmv

Nixunen said:
I didn't want big and clumsy buttons to operate them. So i think little bit and ended to add buttons to my brake levers. So when i push left brake lever forward it activate left turn signals, and of course right activates right turn signals. When i push them very briefly it actives turn signals to 5 seconds and then they go off automatically. But if i keep them pushed at one second it keeps turn signal on, until i push another side lever. And also then there is little beep to remind me that turn signals are on without timer.

There is little video about those. https://youtube.com/shorts/PwfTpKAAv0M?feature=share

There is a little bit older video about those blinkers in my bike, in that video blinkers are fixed in mudguard. Now they are in rear rack which can see previous video [youtube]tOrhXVyt9mc[/youtube]

Wow, that is a great headlight.
Your , 'push the levers forward for turn signals is ingenious. I've never seen anything like that.
Do you have a build thread here?

Your , 'push the levers forward for turn signals is ingenious. I've never seen anything like that.

Sorry, i don't have build thread.

E-HP said:
I like the shape and it comes in a red anodized looking finish. 130dB is fricken loud! But needed. My experience in the MC world lots of folks who commute on ther MC install horns like these.

I have about 300K+ miles on motorcycles, and I can honestly say, I've never used a horn. If I ever paused long enough to use it, I wouldn't be alive today.

I've been riding since I was 16, now 53, when I ride in traffic on the freeway (yes, lane splitting it's legal here) I cover my horn which I use often to convince cage drivers to not run me down.
But ymmv
Whatever works to keep you from ending up under someone's tires. I just assume the clueless drivers don't know I'm there, can't see or hear me; that's usually a good assumption. Lane sharing has always been legal. It looks the same as lane splitting, but cops would make a big deal about some nuanced distinction, so in 2016, the made lane splitting legal too.

I lane split/shared once with my wife on the back, since she was late for a meeting in SF, and there was a huge accident on the bridge; 22 miles and lots of angry/frustrated drivers. Using a horn probably would have made it more difficult for the other bikes riding by later. I only had one trucker kick their door open when we passed them, but otherwise maintained my cloak of invisibility and got her there on time.

But actually I really like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K37MXT7
Near as I can tell from Q&A is that one requires about 3.5 Amps at 12 Volts (42 watts) ... just something to keep in mind when planning the electrical system.

Check out Rear Fog Light LED X2 (12V Tail Lamp Universal Red Car Trailer Square) on eBay!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144407093643?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Sm7PhKPoTpW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ap3kYD8yRXW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Oh yes. LIGHTS! I commute to work on most days and need more safety features while biking along with traffic.

I use this kit. https://a.co/d/4Ie6bo6 It includes everything you'll need!

It's got the right connections to fit right in. I also is these here... https://a.co/d/88qYvLg These are in the front, on my stanchions (probably not the best place, but my fork never bottoms out).

I hated the control switch that came with the kit. I would leave the turn signals on. So I bought this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804277813711.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d2b5c7aeRRiXG&algo_pvid=31f6eb5c-c656-4c3f-b712-10808b7de35a&algo_exp_id=31f6eb5c-c656-4c3f-b712-10808b7de35a-6&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000029258065998%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%216.77%213.32%21%21%21%21%21%402101d8f416638148416222244e9b22%2112000029258065998%21sea&curPageLogUid=qWUSFfzWR4X4

An indicator for me too!

I tapped in to the 48 volt supply that feeds my display and ran it to a dc-dc converter. The converter feeds the blinker kit that I bought.

FBE6EC06-C19E-4AE2-B743-5FE37D85EDA2.jpegAFC80FEB-FF05-4939-A8D1-D9D3D23E93DA.jpeg

slaphappygamer said:
I hated the control switch that came with the kit. I would leave the turn signals on.
I used to have that problem on a ICE scooter. An EE at work came up with a circuit based on a 555 timer that cut them off after 60 seconds (no I do not have the schematic as that was decades ago).

Nixunen said:

Nice work Nixunen! What are you using for a sensor on the levers when pushed forward?

Zambam said:
Nixunen said:

Nice work Nixunen! What are you using for a sensor on the levers when pushed forward?
I use these microswitchs (they are ip67, so work nicely even when wet)

https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/ksc241glfs/microswitches-tact/c-k/ksc241g-lfs/

Nixunen said:
I wanted also to add my ebike bright headlight, but that kind of model so it don't blind other cyclist etc. So i bought Lupine SL X, it has automatic drl (daylight running lights), and when there is dark enough it switch to low beam lights automatically on. And i can change to high beam just pressing one button (and back to low beam). There is link for that light https://www.lupine.de/products/e-bike-lights/sl-x/sl-x-(45km-h)

Also i wanted turn signals / blinkers. Front i use those kind of turn signals (they are in handlebar ends) https://www.motogadget.com/shop/en/m-blaze-disc.html

Rear blinkers i use those https://www.kellermann-online.com/en/atto/152.200

Pretty impressive system you have there. That headlight is worth more than some ebikes that I see around here.
How did you wire it in?

mumpel said:
Bright headlights e.g. from Busch and Müller (Bumm). https://www.bumm.de/en/products/e-bike-scheinwerfer/parent/169/produkt/169u65ts-01.html?

I've added one of these to my enduro clone build
I'd highly recommend them most of my riding is done at night travelling to and from work along an unlit canal tow path
My previous lights were a Philips bile light that had a high setting of 80 lux I use this for my road bike but found I needed something more for my ebike.
Rather than power the unit from my battery pack voltage was higher than the light could handel so would require stepping down so irobbed the battery out of my daughters unused hoverboard it's 36 volts and on high beam gives me 5 hours of run time also fits nicely in the space left over from my main 🔋

For the back I use a magic shine mj818 been using this on my road bike since they were first available and it puts out a good amount of light I've even been stopped and asked by car drivers where I got it as they could see the bike from a huge distance away

Only thing I'm really like is a good bright brake light but and perhaps a reflective strip down the center of my mud guards but that might be over kill considering the lights I'm using

I use these microswitchs (they are ip67, so work nicely even when wet)

I have a bunch leftover switches from Ebay to fix an electric toothbrush. Have no idea what the IPS or specs are but they look similar in size to yours.

How did you mount and wire them up? Are you running turn signal current through them or via a relay? The easiest spot I think is as shown in my pic w/o having to take the levers apart. Just epoxy it in.

Attachments

• C3D2BB30-8C08-4173-8B79-D432266ECEAF.jpeg
    C3D2BB30-8C08-4173-8B79-D432266ECEAF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20A090DB-59DA-4626-9D19-DDB155A8DB2F.jpeg
    20A090DB-59DA-4626-9D19-DDB155A8DB2F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Also i wanted turn signals / blinkers. Front i use those kind of turn signals (they are in handlebar ends) mo.blaze disc LED Lenkerendenblinker
<snip>

I'm guessing you are using this for the flasher itself?

1681856305161.png

mo.relay+​

€89.00
Incl. 19% Tax , Excl. shipping Delivery Time: 2-3 days
Article No.: 4000009
Details
The PLUS is where it's at!

The mo.relay+ purposefully combines a load independent digital flasher relay and electronic push-button controls.

Depending on how long the respective turn signal push-button is activated, 4 different operating modes are available:

Change of lane: Short tap on push-button - blink 3x and automatic switch-off.

Turn: Pressing push-button shortly - blink 10x and automatic switch-offy.

Continuous flashing: Pressing push-button longer - switching off only after pressing the push-button repeatedly.

Additionally the mo.relay+ is equipped with a hazard flasher function - activated by pressing both push-buttons simultaneously.

The mo.relay+ is load independent (1-100 W) and provides a constant flasher frequency to almost all models of LED, micro or halogen turn signal lights as well as 10 or 21 W light bulbs. Immediate, loss free and brighter illumination results from the effective microelectronic.

The light and compact aluminium casing is anodized black and features a M3 mounting thread. Removable mounting with cable ties is also possible. Ideal for mods and custom bikes with restricted mounting space. The electronics are water-tight, vibration resistant and are equipped with an overload protection.

If you are looking for a flasher relay WITHOUT push-button controls please refer to our mo.flash or mo.wave series.

If you are looking for a flasher relay WITHOUT push-button controls but with automatic deactivation please refer to our mo.stop series

If you are looking for fully featured push-button controls with lots of additional features, please refer to our mo.unit series.

Advantages​

• Very compact, light and easy to mount
  • Ideal for custom bikes and mods with little mounting space - bulky conventional relays or load resistors are a thing of the past
  • No additional push-button control unit necessary
  • Intuitive time control and automatic deactivation
  • Almost load independent (min. 1 Watt)
  • Completely implemented using digital semiconductor technology. microprocessor controlled No mechanical workings, no spools, no electrical contacts
  • Consistantly constant and correct flasher frequency and suited for almost all LED turn signal lights, all micro and halogen turn signal lights as well as all 10-watts and 21-watts turn signal lights
  • e. g. works with 4 turn signal lights or 2 handle bar end turn signal lights
  • Immediate loss free and brighter illumination of all turn signal lights
  • Completely water tight and vibration resistant because of the moulded-in construction
  • Short circuit proof, automatic overload protection, switches power up to 100 W.
  • No heat generation while operating
  • Only 5 - 18 V operating voltage required
  • Quality 'made in Germany' - by motogadget

I don't see anything on the page that indicates they have a flasher built in. If they don't, what flasher setup are you going to use? (I just use a regular automotive type, the Novita EP35 Flasher
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064LQL2
with my LED lighting on SB Cruiser, and the old CrazyBike2, and it works perfectly with any LED or incandescent, or combination, that I have tried so far. (I think I bought my first one at Checker or Autozone, but it's the same thing as the amazon link.)

BTW, the ones that Nearchos is using just use the switches in his brake levers to signal the blink controller to start blinking, so they don't pass any signifcant current. (those tiny switches aren't really able to handle much, just not designed for it).

So if you want to do the same thing, you'll either have to use the same control unit he uses (probalby the one I linked up above) or a similar one, or make your own with an Arduino or similar (which is probably pretty easy if you already do that sort of thing--I bet there's already projects out there on arduino.cc or github, etc., with code that can be used).

Then the buttons just run control inputs to the unit, and the unit controls a relay for passing current to the lights.

I don't see anything on the page that indicates they have a flasher built in. If they don't, what flasher setup are you going to use? (I just use a regular automotive type, the Novita EP35 Flasher
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064LQL2
with my LED lighting on SB Cruiser, and the old CrazyBike2, and it works perfectly with any LED or incandescent, or combination, that I have tried so far. (I think I bought my first one at Checker or Autozone, but it's the same thing as the amazon link.)

BTW, the ones that Nearchos is using just use the switches in his brake levers to signal the blink controller to start blinking, so they don't pass any signifcant current. (those tiny switches aren't really able to handle much, just not designed for it).

So if you want to do the same thing, you'll either have to use the same control unit he uses (probalby the one I linked up above) or a similar one, or make your own with an Arduino or similar (which is probably pretty easy if you already do that sort of thing--I bet there's already projects out there on arduino.cc or github, etc., with code that can be used).

Then the buttons just run control inputs to the unit, and the unit controls a relay for passing current to the lights.
I hope it has the flasher built in but won't know till Saturday.

The ad title does read:

"Motorcycle Turn Signal Light, 1 Pair Motorcycle Handlebar End Light, 12 LEDs Amber Lamp Scooter Blinker Flasher Resistor Front Light for Chopper Sportster Cruiser Cafe Racer Classic Vintage Motorbike"

I interpreted that as: The white light has no flasher but the turn signals has flasher since it says "12 LEDs Amber Lamp Scooter Blinker Flasher". Not sure what the "Resistor" is? Maybe it has something to do with making it no flasher?

OTOH my tail light assembly with turn signals has flasher built in https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...23rbYs8&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

I agree those tiny smd switches can't carry much current. I intend to try it out anyway. If it burns out I have many spare switches and can put a transistor driver in to handle the current.

I have learned over time that in Amazon and Ebay (and aliexpress, etc) the title of an item often does not describe the item actually being sold, but is rather a bunch of keywords to catch searches and your eye.

At least for Amazon, you can report the item taht says something the title that is not included in the specs on the item page or the pics, though how often they fix those I don't know (I haven't rechecked the ones I've reported over the years because I won't go back to buy such an item because if the seller put deliberately wrong info in there they will probably not be trustworthy in other things either).

Ebay you can report things but I don't see them get fixed--the items just disappear.

Aliexpress doesn't give a crap, and usually their report functions won't even let you finish the report and submit it, when you can even start one.

Hopefully your stuff will have the flasher built in (like the strip lights I use on SB Cruiser's top cargo rail, and the handlebar shields, which have sequencing flashers).
front 2x White&Amber 60cm Flexible LED Car Headlight Slim Strip Turn Signal DRL Light | eBay
rear 60CM Red DRL Turn Signal Light Strip Sequential LED Tube Yellow Bar Daytime | eBay

The other stuff on the trike requires that flasher I linked:
Regular DOT front MC turn signals I used (from goodwill)
or the DOT automotive tail and turn signals on the rear

I'm guessing you are using this for the flasher itself?

View attachment 332934

mo.relay+​

€89.00
Incl. 19% Tax , Excl. shipping Delivery Time: 2-3 days
Article No.: 4000009
Details
The PLUS is where it's at!

The mo.relay+ purposefully combines a load independent digital flasher relay and electronic push-button controls.

Depending on how long the respective turn signal push-button is activated, 4 different operating modes are available:

Change of lane: Short tap on push-button - blink 3x and automatic switch-off.

Turn: Pressing push-button shortly - blink 10x and automatic switch-offy.

Continuous flashing: Pressing push-button longer - switching off only after pressing the push-button repeatedly.

Additionally the mo.relay+ is equipped with a hazard flasher function - activated by pressing both push-buttons simultaneously.

The mo.relay+ is load independent (1-100 W) and provides a constant flasher frequency to almost all models of LED, micro or halogen turn signal lights as well as 10 or 21 W light bulbs. Immediate, loss free and brighter illumination results from the effective microelectronic.

The light and compact aluminium casing is anodized black and features a M3 mounting thread. Removable mounting with cable ties is also possible. Ideal for mods and custom bikes with restricted mounting space. The electronics are water-tight, vibration resistant and are equipped with an overload protection.

If you are looking for a flasher relay WITHOUT push-button controls please refer to our mo.flash or mo.wave series.

If you are looking for a flasher relay WITHOUT push-button controls but with automatic deactivation please refer to our mo.stop series

If you are looking for fully featured push-button controls with lots of additional features, please refer to our mo.unit series.

Advantages​

• Very compact, light and easy to mount
  • Ideal for custom bikes and mods with little mounting space - bulky conventional relays or load resistors are a thing of the past
  • No additional push-button control unit necessary
  • Intuitive time control and automatic deactivation
  • Almost load independent (min. 1 Watt)
  • Completely implemented using digital semiconductor technology. microprocessor controlled No mechanical workings, no spools, no electrical contacts
  • Consistantly constant and correct flasher frequency and suited for almost all LED turn signal lights, all micro and halogen turn signal lights as well as all 10-watts and 21-watts turn signal lights
  • e. g. works with 4 turn signal lights or 2 handle bar end turn signal lights
  • Immediate loss free and brighter illumination of all turn signal lights
  • Completely water tight and vibration resistant because of the moulded-in construction
  • Short circuit proof, automatic overload protection, switches power up to 100 W.
  • No heat generation while operating
  • Only 5 - 18 V operating voltage required
  • Quality 'made in Germany' - by motogadget
Actually i use arduino and fets to operate blinkers. And yes those buttons in my brake levers is just connected to arduino input pins. They cannot carry any current. I now realized that i made almost same functions as that flasher unit. Well there is lane switch feature (3 blink) and i have it 5 seconds, but it is made for arduino and easy to change or add that 3x flash feature which seems really nice.

I found these poor boy's version bar end turn signals and ordered a pair. Arriving this Sat.

I first test these (and couple other cheap chinese ones). Because of the price. I was really disappointed, they are not so bright. In dark they are "ok", but not in daytime. Also they are really cheap feeling. Like cheap plastic (lenses) etc. I ended up to give them to my friend :D . I wanted really bright ones and that way i ordered those Motogadget ones. Yes they are expensive, but they work.

Those Motogadget versions show really well at daylight also

Some old video, when i didn't have rear blinkers yet:

And there is rear blinkers installed at fender. Now there is rear rack and light and blinkers is moved to that:

Last edited:
Actually i use arduino and fets to operate blinkers. And yes those buttons in my brake levers is just connected to arduino input pins. They cannot carry any current. I now realized that i made almost same functions as that flasher unit. Well there is lane switch feature (3 blink) and i have it 5 seconds, but it is made for arduino and easy to change or add that 3x flash feature which seems really nice.
Any chance you could post a "build" thread for the device with the code? (schematics would be helpful as well, but that's much easier to figure out how to do).

Any chance you could post a "build" thread for the device with the code? (schematics would be helpful as well, but that's much easier to figure out how to do).
Arduino in my bike does many things, like control alarm (using 3 axis gyro), gps, also it control brake light, horn and blinkers of course. It control also battery heating (at winter), when battery temp goes below +10c (i can change temp using android software, that i built, bt connection to arduino) it start to heat battery. It control heating elements and increase / decrease their power depending how cold there is. It also control grip heaters, and "start" my bike. Either using rf remote or my phone bt. And lot of other things.

So basically i can just take blinker code and paste that part. Whole code i don't want to upload. But it takes some time, but maybe in week or so.

Back