Enertionboards.com | 5x1.5 Inch All-Terrain-Wheel

I have been speaking with a tyre factory and can develop my own mold to have any tread pattern / tyre shape we want. its expensive but worth it.

I like the look of the slightly wider 1.5 inch Tyre, maybe is just an aesthetic thing. If we can get high pressure & a slightly rounded surface area & fast tread pattern on the tyre (like the 6inch tyres people have been using) i think the Tyre to ground resistance can be greatly reduced.

Anyway i plan to use the profit made from the initial sale of these products to develop our own custom made all-terrain 5inch tyre.

So please post your ideal tread pattern all ideas will be considered.

i was thinking something like this, but more rounded.
Z-T0013-1.jpg

I see no practical benefit to having the wider tire, but I do see the benefit to the narrower tire (surface contact, range). And same thing applies to any extra tread beyond what is necessary for rough streets/minor bike trail/trail riding.

Something like this for tire shape/tread pattern:
http://shop.mbs.com/accessories-14/mountainboard-wheels/mbs-roadie-tire-purple.html

Or this:
http://www.skike.com/shop.php?l=en&c=US&page=5&cat=3&sub=478&aid=301

EDIT: offer something like those above as the primary tire because I think that will best suit most people needs, but maybe offer something like this for a more off road application; 1 inch wide, rounded style tires but with a little more knobby on it:

http://shop.mbs.com/accessories-14/mountainboard-wheels/mbs-t1-tires-black.html

I actually like these tires...I think if battery range is a concern just use urethane wheels. Or pack extra batteries.
The shape of these tires is alot closer to the shape of a skateboard wheel which is going to make them a standout.
What is the outermost diameter of the hub itself?

torqueboards said:
Are these going to fit on standard longboard trucks? Are these going to be suitable for regular decks currently out there or will we have to cut the deck out?

Onloop is making them for standard longboard trucks. I didn't have to cut my riverbed deck out with 6" wheels.

good article on tyre rolling resistance, when at the same pressure wider tyres have less resistance than narrow tyres.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

furp said:
Have you thought of making them fit bigger bearings or use a outside bearing diameter and thickness that is available for 8 and 10 mm ID alike? You could supply the bearings as well and the wheels could fit for MTB trucks should someone want to use them.

No i haven't really thought about his, it is definitely possible to change the design... However do you think MTB riders would want this size wheel on their trucks? alternatively you can get 22OD bearings with 10ID... so people could swap bearings out if they wanted both options
like this: http://www.icletta.com/shop/wlzlager-id-10-mm-od-22-mm.html?___store=english&___from_store=german

torqueboards said:
Are these going to fit on standard longboard trucks? Are these going to be suitable for regular decks currently out there or will we have to cut the deck out?

YES, direct fit onto 8mmDIA normal skate truck axle, using normal skate bearing,

I'm not sure what you mean by "regular deck" - You will definitely need a deck with cutouts. OR 50mm :shock: deck risers.

psychotiller said:
I actually like these tires...I think if battery range is a concern just use urethane wheels. Or pack extra batteries.
The shape of these tires is alot closer to the shape of a skateboard wheel which is going to make them a standout.
What is the outermost diameter of the hub itself?

I like the wider ones too & after doing further research on the topic it would appear that wider tyres have LESS resistance then narrower tyres when at the same pressure, so wider is better for battery life & range.

The OD of rim is 86mm

I didnt check for bearing sizes before posting, great if there are already fitting 10mm ID ones. I don't know if people will actually use them on MTB trucks, just thought more options more better ;)

Not sure about the wide tho. Will have to read up there. But racing bikes seem to have the narrowest wheels possible.

furp said:
I didnt check for bearing sizes before posting, great if there are already fitting 10mm ID ones. I don't know if people will actually use them on MTB trucks, just thought more options more better ;)

Not sure about the wide tho. Will have to read up there. But racing bikes seem to have the narrowest wheels possible.

from what i can understand road cyclists etc use the most narrow tyre as it is better aerodynamically, even though the wider tyre has less rolling resistance. The advantage of better rolling resistance when using wider tyre is lost due to the worse aerodynamics... & this gets amplified the faster you travel.

FROM WIKI
Dimensions - rolling resistance in tires is related to the flex of sidewalls and the contact area of the tire[47] For example, at the same pressure, wider bicycle tires flex less in sidewalls as they roll and thus have lower rolling resistance (although higher air resistance).[47]

For an eboard aerodynamics of the tyre isn't important.... but rolling resistance & tyre pressure is, so i think having wider tyre that can be high pressure is better for improving range on our eboards.

onloop said:
good article on tyre rolling resistance, when at the same pressure wider tyres have less resistance than narrow tyres.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

yes of course.. think sand dune buggy...big wide tyres and so they don't sink...hmmm. but isn't that about spreading the load..? I wondered why the skate wheel was better at range..
But what threw me was ..on my mountain bike with wide tyres its bloody hard pedaling up hills..yet my road bike with super thin tyre is easy and goes a lot faster..

the rolling resistance is also affected by the amount of flex & warp that is occurring on the surface of the tyre, so if the tyre has big knobbly bits (or thicker rubber) that are warping when in contact with the surface of the ground this is resulting in greater resistance.

so the tyre tread & pressure must be identical when comparing to see what tyre has less resistance. If they are the same the wider tyre has less resistance.

I have to say, it is a bit of a mind blow to me to imagine that a wider, 'flat' tire with more 'off-road' style tread would get better mileage than a narrower, 'rounded' tire with 'road' style tread.. not saying it isn't true; by the looks of the wiki physics it is indeed true.

Like beetbocks though, having personally ridden a mountain bike across Canada (50% knobby mountain bike tire on the front, a more slick 'armadillo' road-mountain high-pressure tire on the back, ~3000km in 42 days) and having also logged thousands of km on a road bike, the road bike rolls MUCH more smoothly and requires far less effort to go the same distance on roads

I think in the case of the eboards though, with such a small wheel assembly, the difference between 1" wide and 1.5" wide will be pretty negligible in terms of mileage provided you go with a tread pattern leaning more toward road style versus knobby off-road

The rule only applies when you are comparing two similar tyres treads but with different widths.

So YES, a narrow tyre can have less rolling resistance then a wider tyre with a high rolling resistance tread.

Other things to consider.
- puncture resistance
- durability / longevity
- weight
- traction

I read somewhere today that to design a tyre to minimize rolling resistance you will also lower puncture resistance & durability.

The big question is does 6 mm of width really matter?

Probably not much.

If range is the most important thing get really hard large diameter wheels. Such as Onda wheels.

Pretty interesting stuff really all of the factors that effect the efficiency. I do see how a high pressure, flat, wide tire could be quite efficient actually so long as, as you say, the sidewalls don't bulge and it maintains it's flat surface.. so a nice high pressure tube.

Just curious, what does it cost to have a custom tire mold made?

onloop said:
Other things to consider.
- puncture resistance
- durability / longevity
- weight
- traction

Very true, the tire you're suggesting is a nice blend of all of those + the range thing clearly isn't a huge deal if any at all

Also its worth noting that the tyre I will be using will not have a completely flat surface once inflated. The 3D render is only an illustration.

The tyre will bulge out a bit when fully inflated.

The cost of developing a new tyre is about $2700 USD.

lone_deranger said:
Looking good.
Look forward to getting news on the K1 setup I won back in June. Can't wait to start the build...

still waiting on stock.... took a lot longer then anticipated to get.... however it due for arrival tomorrow.... so probably send your kit next week.

Back