Fat Bike BBSHD Build for Epic Offroad Adventures

rsz_1img_20160501_165000302.jpgHere's a pic of a multi use trail right behind my place, a 1/4 mile away anyway. Horses, dirt bikes, ATV's, it's all good up there. It runs for about 35 or 40 miles clear around the mountain range, with lots of up and down, average altitude about 6800'. Traditional mountain bikers, for some reason, are not seen up here, they hang out in town at the trail system that is more or less groomed, with most obstacles removed.

The Bullet picked its way up to the summit at 8'000, and on the way I was thinking "can these tires handle this (8 lbs)?" So far so good. I was in first gear, standing on the pedals, and going about 4 to 6 mph. a real watt sucker in other words, still, the BBHD never got warm, impressive. My next worry was the bike frame, again, so far so good. This is the trail that was 14 miles total round trip with about 2500' of gain, and I did it easily on my 11.5 AH battery, arriving back home with a bit over 50 v. showing on the meter.

My goal, just to show that these e bikes aren't toys, is to ride the entire trail clear around the range. On a good dirt bike it's a several hour ride, 15 or 20 streams to ford, and lots of vert as the trail follows the undulating ridge canyons. My friends who ride dirt bikes will be impressed, as in blown away :p My friends who ride regular mountain bikes on the regular mountain bike trails will be.....blown away. Hell, I'LL be blown away. I'll be wore out but hopefully in one piece, me and the bike. I'll be taking all three 11.5AH batteries, screw it, better overkill it then underkill it.

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 8.45.07 PM.jpgLooks like some nice riding in your area there Craneplaneguy. I see photos of two fat bikes in this thread sporting the Bluto front shocks, how are these front shocks performing for you guys? Did either of you ride a fat bike that had no front suspension to compare?

My rigid fat bike is working awesome but I am starting to think it may be nice to put some front suspension on my bike. The Bluto's are pricey enough and then I would need to build a new front wheel to boot as I have an old school small axle on my front wheel now so it could be an expensive conversion.

These forks for fat bikes look super nice in the attachment but even pricier. They are made by Lauf.

Wow, that looks like the perfect tool for the job! Look forward to hearing your ride report. :D

I think it was pretty cool that it is your first ebike and that you built the first ebike that you rode.

It's like becoming an addict before the dealer even gives the the first freebie. :D

Hi, guys!
Has anyone tested the maximum distance on fatbike with BBSHD using minimal level of PAS, just to catch up with non-electric cyclists?
Please, don't forget to provide me with your battery details :)

I'm just trying to understand, if I can participate in long distance cycling tours (100-150+ km) after upgrading to BBSHD + 52V 20Ah battery (for example).

Thx!

I would say around 100 watts and a tiny bit of pedal assist you will keep up to the other non electric bikes. This would be climbing single track and just kind of putting around. So if you have a 10ah pack with 52v you may be able to keep this up for 5 hours or so at under 10 mph. For any kind of speed you will need a huge huge pack for the range you are wanting.

Sorry, Ive been away from this thread for a while. Im on my third year with my build and it is still fantastic. Ive reprogrammed all the paramenters on my BBSHD and it rides almost like a torque sensor bike. No surges or obvious power on power off feel, at least in level 1 or 2.

My range has been amazing with both my 11.5AH and 13.6AH 52 volt Panny GA packs. Longest ride was 52 miles, 3500 vertical, ending with 25% battery remaining (on the 13.6AH pack) as determined by cycle satiator charger. I did not use throttle for that ride and was consciously conserving power. My son was with me on that ride and he wound up around 10% on the 11.5AH Panny PF pack.

For my rides, all of which are under 50 miles, range is simply not a consideration anymore. It really doesnt matter how I ride or how much elevation I am gaining (within reason of course). I watch the voltage and it is just never an issue. I love this bike!

Attachments

• IMG_3856web.jpg
    IMG_3856web.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 430
Why not go full suspension fat bike instead of rigid, be more cushy ride for curbs, roots and the pic of the bike on the trail with them huge rocks, must be 2" rocks for the trail.

Full suspension would be great for offroad. Im not sure such a bike will have room for a decent size battery but if you can make one fit, by all means do it. Please post a photo if you do build one

Back