First-timer getting down to business

lazarus2405

10 kW
Hello folks! About two months ago I posted a feeler topic here to set me on the right path, and everyone who posted was extremely helpful, informative, and respectful. If only the rest if these here interwebs were so.

Well, I preparing to order my parts within the next two weeks, and I'd like to run everything past the folks in these forums. If you spot any potential problems in my understanding or any room for improvement, by all means speak your collective mind. I've got a lot of questions, so please answer any you can. It'd be a great help to know all I can before placing an order.

The basics: I am starting completely from scratch. The only piece of kit I currently own is a basic steel-frame unsuspended mountain bike, with 15 gears, awful brakes, and 26" wheels with offroad tires.

I plan on running a 5304 motor in a 26" rear wheel at 72v off of 6x12v 18Ah SLA batteries through a 72v 40A controller. I'll be ordering everything I can from ebikes.ca (especially the controller, as I like what I've seen of their customized clyte controllers with plugs for their Cycle Analyst), and what I can't get from there I will be buying off of PowerRideStore (primarily the batteries and electrical connectors).

I'll be connecting everything with Anderson Powerpole connectors so that I can easily remove anything I need, especially the batteries. For charging, I plan on disconnecting all the batteries, reconnecting them in parallel, and using a good 4-stage car battery charger.

I am in the hub motor camp because of its simplicity. I can solder but not weld, so chain systems are out of the question. I'm a university freshman, so this will be my primary form of transportation around campus and around town, but just as importantly it needs to be fun to ride. Do note that I am both young and stupid, which will affect my views on rider comfort and speed, respectively.

For legalities, I plan on keeping a printout of the relevant Federal law (pedals, 750w, 20mph) and using the Cycle Analyst to limit my speed to 20mph and amps to 10 if I ever am somewhere where I feel likely to come under scrutiny... but I plan on finding the bike's limits, on... er... ah... private property... right.

Now, for my questions. If I found an answer, or someone posts one, I'll put it in bold directly following the question.

What gauge wire will I need to wire everything so that I'll have enough headroom for any future changes? I don't want to ever have any issues with my cables not being able to carry peak current.

10 AWG should be fine

I have never soldered things to carry anywhere near this current. Are there any special instructions I need to follow, or perhaps a guide somewhere? I want to do all of this myself, but I also want to do it right.

Make a clean, secure connection. Do not use so much solder that connections will have difficulty fitting into the Anderson casings

As far as I know, Anderson Powerpoles are the best way of making disconnectable high-current DC terminations. Are there better options, or is that the way to go?

They will be more than adequate, and ebikes.ca kit even comes with Anderson connectors on its controllers and motors

I can only seem to find Powerpoles rated for 30A. Can I safely use them? As with the cables, I don't want to have any issues when I push things.

The amperage rating on Powerpoles refers not to what the connection is rated to handle but rather what gauge wire the crimps are designed to accept. The 30A connectors will accept 10 gauge wire.

Would I cause damage by running an even higher voltage? The ebikes.ca site says that their 72V controller will be fine up to 100v, but I'd rather not have to deal with blown MOSFETs.

I talked to Justin at ebikes.ca, and although the capacitors and MOSFETS are rated to 100V, a 96V nominal voltage battery comes off the charger at well over 100V. However, as of 10/23/07, they are expecting a shipment from China in a few days which will include new 72V 50A controllers with MOSFETS with significantly lower resistance (I cannot remember how many miliOhms), which should be easily able to withstand a higher voltage setup.

If not, perhaps would I be better off running, say, 8 batteries with fewer Ah each for 96V and a similar number of watt-hours? Aside from the greater torque and top speed, would using smaller batteries at a higher voltage lead to a lower amp drain and thus be better with respect to Peukert's Law? And would it be more fun?

Running more volts on more batteries with fewer amps and thus fewer amphours will change nothing concerning Peukert's Law. Running more batteries of equal amphours would, however.

For charging, what amperage would you recommend (per battery)? And I shouldn't run into any problems charging in parallel as long as I manually check voltages once in a while, correct?

Specific to the battery. The B&B SLAs I'm looking at charge at 6A.

As you may have noticed, I am stuck on SLA because of its cost advantage per Ah and also because of its (perceived) relative ease of charging. I do not feel that the extra weight will bother me, but I welcome any feedback on the subject. Just know that at this point I am definately not ready to start opening up powertool battery packs or wire my own protection circutry.

What measures will I need to take to protect my batteries, and what factors affect battery performance temporarily and permanently, assuming all SLA cells?

Both rate of discharge vary inversely with usable capacity (Peukert's). Battery capacity varies with temperature on a per-charge basis, and that deep discharges negatively affect battery capacity over a battery's lifetime. SLA's need to be stored charged at room temperature or mildly higher, and a floating charge can be wise. With a quality controller, it is safe to leave batteries plugged into the charger nearly indefinitely.

How exactly does the throttle on these kits work?

The throttle itself controls a voltage between 0V and 5V at a low current, which in turn cues the controller to vary the voltage supplied to the motor accordingly. The controller generally limits the current supplied to the motor, though aftermarket tools like Cycle Analyst can make the limit even lower.

I plan on using an immediate-start controller. What is the Hall effect, and what is a Hall effect sensor in this context? Do I need to buy and install a Hall effect sensor in addition to the controller, or will the clyte controller have that function built in?

The Hall effect is used to determine the rotational velocity of the stator relative to the permanent magnets (I think). The motor has a sensor already mounted and has wires for the sensor exiting the hub for the controller. It requires no additional mounting. By sensing the wheel's RPM, it allows the controller to sequence current so that it can provide power at very low speeds. The Hall effect sensor can be used as to provide information to a computer like the Cycle Analyst, which can calculate fun things like RPM, velocity, distance and such from the data.

How should I fix my braking problem? My bike currently has trouble stopping, and at twice speed with 1.5 times the mass, if I don't do something about it, prayer will be more effective. Considering that the Divine in my experience works imperceptibly and with a sadistic sense of humor, that option seems unviable. Can I buy a kit for rear and front disc brakes that will fit with the motor and not require welding to install? If so, can I do it online or will I need to check my LBS?

My LBS can take care of it. It'll take some welding to repair the front brakes, and they can add beefy rear brakes. Discs are out of the question, as my frame is not designed for them.

With the controllers from ebikes.ca, how is braking handled? I've seen clyte gear with cruise controllers and ebrakes in addition to the throttle, and ebikes.ca doesn't seem to have either. I assume I'll need a way to quickly cut out the motor in traffic, and if possible I'd like to use the motor to regeneratively brake. Will the controller I'm looking at do this, and will I need to do any additional wiring to achieve it?

Getting power off of regenerative braking won't happen, period. Also, kits generally will not use the motor to brake. It can be wired by hand, but it isn't really worth it.

Since the motor is always mechanically engaged, how can I minimize its effects if I want to run the bike on pure muscle power? What can I disconnect make the motor as imperceptible in this state? Or, would it be more transparent to run the motor at a very low power setting to just overcome its own resistance and if so, is there a convenient way to set this?

It's a big, heavy motor. That said, it won't be too bad, as long as the batteries' weight is removed. Peddling it in this manner will not damage the motor.

Will I be able to peddle current into batteries if I both want exercise and have low batteries? Is it possible with the controller I'm looking at, and would trying to do such have any meaningful impact?

No. The reason is that to charge the batteries, the wheel would need to spin so fast that the motor generated >72V, which is nigh impossible on muscle motors.

What tires will I want to use? Obviously I want to use something a lot flatter, but I want it to be durable. I plan on staying on pavement, but I don't want to pop an innertube by riding off a curb. On that note, will I need special innertubes, and will I see any benefit from higher tire pressure?

Higher pressure will be needed to an extent because of the extra weight, but lower pressure to an extent will provide better handling. 60+ PSI is recommended. I actually bought a pair of Town+Country (made by Continental) from my LBS, which are very slick on the center, groovy on the outsides, and very, very puncture resistant.

Will I need a torque arm? My gut says yes, considering that it's a basic bike with no really fancy reinforcement. If I do need one, what should I look for, where should I get it, will I need one for each side of the wheel, and how can I make sure it will fit on the bike?

I shouldn't, as long as I make as sure as humanly possible that the motor is bolted into the dropouts as tightly and flushly as humanly possible. Should I need to modify the dropouts to handle more torque, it'll need to be a custom job, as most likely any aftermarket arms will not be suitable.

What sort of helmet will I need? Is there any point to wearing a bike helmet at 30mph, or should I invest in a motorcycle or motocross helmet?

Generally all bike helmets sold are rated to the exact same safety standard. That said, a full helmet, such as one worn by downhill racers or motocross riders is a very good investment.

Should send any of these questions to the folks ebikes.ca? I've read that they're also helpful, and not only would they better know their own kit but also they would have a more vested interest in answering the questions of a potential customer.

Definitely! I called their store, got Justin, and just went down this list. He was very helpful, and if an answer didn't come from these forums, it was from him. When I order my parts, he's getting my business.

I know that that is a lot of questions, but it's better to get them answered sooner than later. And I've learned that in electronics, attention to detail is very important. Thanks in advance for any and all help you folks can provide.

Addendum: I keep thinking of other things to ask, so I'll keep adding them in as readable of a format as I can.

What is forced air cooling for a controller in this context? Do controllers have heat problems, and if so under what circumstances? Do the FETs have heatsinks on them in general, and if not can they be added?

Alrighty... now that's a post !!!!!! :D

Some points :

An X5 at 72v turns your bicycle into a scooter, and then some, pedaling this beast will be less-than-fun to say the least, so plan on riding not pedaling lol... On this note, stick with 1 or 3 to 5 speeds vs 7 speeds as it makes a stronger wheel and easier to install in the frame.

Brakes : You Needs Brakes, and good one's, specially if you plan to run 72v of lead, either an upgrade to what you have now, be it pads or better V-brakes etc.. depends on your bike frame.

Regen : Not worth it, invest in better brakes. ( we can get into a long discussion about this, but generally not worth it unless you need to go down a volcano )

Throttle / Hall : The motor has 3 power wires and 5 " Hall " sensor wires, that conect to the controller, the sensors tell the controller how fast the motor is turning so that i can adjust the pulses accordingly, your throttle will vary a 5v signal to the controller from 0 to 5v telling it how much power to allow the motor to draw from the battery pack.

Tires : High psi like 60 psi + is a good idea, no need for knobies, kevlar belt tires are best if you can find them. but hopping curbs with an X5 and 60 lbs of batteries is no joy.. :shock: This is where Lithium rules !!!

Battery mounting will be the biggest hurdle to overcome ..

Also about the SLA's., they need to be kept fully-charged... at all times. With a quality charger you canot over-charge an SLA battery, leaving it in a discharged or partially discharged state will reduce their life ..

So, that being said, if you commute to college with this bike, i assume it will stay un-charge during the day, = bad thing. :cry:

A 48v pack of DD nimh may be possible, an X5304 at 48v x 40 amps would still giddy up go very well !!!

Thanks for the response. I updated the original post with your insights, plus what I learned from other digging. I need a clarification on the throttle bit, however. When you say that the throttle signal tells the controller how much power it will give the motor, that means that the 0-5v signal cues the controller to feed a specific number of amps to the motor, and that when the motor is energized it is receiving the same voltage from the controller as the controller is from the batteries? Or does the controller vary the voltage the motor receives?

I understand that the primary role of the controller is to time the pulses to the motor and "make it spin". I don't yet understand how it accomplishes the throttling.

My daily commute to class and back really is about a total of .5 miles. With pedestrians, I doubt that I'll be pushing the bike too heavily. The SLAs aren't *that* sensitive, are they?

Other than while I'm out, I can (and should) keep the batteries indoors, in a closet, plugged in and kept topped off at all times?

My understanding of all this , and i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

The motor gets full voltage at all times, but the controller will " Pulse " the power very quickly at low throttle to limit the power output of the motor.

if you gun the throttle the motor gets " Full Duty Cycle " up to the max amperage limit of the controller.

Keeping the batteries plugged in all the time is not always a good idea, * in case of a charger failure.. )but if you use quality chargers like Soneil brand then it's usually ok to do.

A half mile run on 72v 12ah sla's will be a shallow discharge so leaving it in this state should be reasonable... but pushed hard over 20 % DOD you should really try to plug them in asap..

The throttle essentially controls how much voltage the motor gets. The amount of current the motor draws at a given voltage will depend on loading (like uphill or downhill). The current will not exceed a particular value determined by the current limiter, but will typically be less under normal riding conditions. The limiter is usually active during hard acceleration or very steep hills.

I have a circuit that uses the throttle input to determine the current (amps) the motor gets. The voltage will go as high as the motor loading permits at a given current. The difference is a bit subtle, but I prefer the current control scheme.

lazarus2405 said:
What sort of helmet will I need? Is there any point to wearing a bike helmet at 30mph, or should I invest in a motorcycle or motocross helmet?
[/b]

I'm still here to because of this helmet!!! helped me survive a pretty nasty "door prize".
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Helmet/product_123878.shtml

its cheap, light, good ventilation

Very convenient locking it to your bike by threading the cable through the chin guard. I do this so I don't have to lug it into my classes[/img]

Attachments

• Giro_Mad_Max__II.jpg
    Giro_Mad_Max__II.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,399
Thanks Fetcher. On a 40amp clyte controller, do you know how the amp limiter is set? I know that Cycle Analyst has a function to limit amps, and that the controller is rated for 40 amps. Can I have it draw more amps, with relatively low risk say for the first few seconds of acceleration, how many more amps, and how would I set that up?

Also, is there anyone around who has run with both 72 and 96 volts on a 5xxx? Is there a perceptible difference, and is it "worth it" to use the higher voltage at the same wattage to combat Peukert's Law?

Do note that I am both young and stupid, which will affect my views on rider comfort and speed, respectively.

:lol: Duly noted.

I plan on running a 5304 motor in a 26" rear wheel at 72v off of 6x12v 18Ah SLA batteries through a 72v 40A controller.

Good choice of motor/controller combo IMO. However, 6 18ah SLA's I think you will find way too heavy, and likely to break things on the bike. At ~ 14 lbs a piece that's 84lbs. Try riding and moving the bike with 110lbs of dead-weight weightlifting plates (25lbs for the motor and 85lbs for the batteries).
I've tried 4 x 10ah SLAs and found it awkward to say the least. 6 x 10ah SLAs -- about 50lbs -- is the heaviest I can imagine working even if you're otherwise OK with riding and maneuvering a tank.
Keep in mind too that although the upfront price of SLA is very good, cycle life is much less than nickel or lithium batteries. Over 5 years of use 4 times per week or more, cheap-ish lithium is about as expensive as cheap SLA. So I bought and soldered cheap-ish lithium, and after 2200 miles now am very happy I did (I note you state you can solder). My 80v33ah pack weighs about 40lbs -- still on the heavy side.
So my advice as someone hopefully slightly less dumb through experience is to go with 6x10ah or 8ah SLAs, and start thinking about lithium for after the SLAs die.

The 5304 itself is quite pedal-able I've found. The battery weight is what will make it feel the most sluggish to pedal while not under power. As ypedal says, definitely a 3 speed or 1 speed freewheel.

lazarus2405 said:
Thanks Fetcher. On a 40amp clyte controller, do you know how the amp limiter is set? I know that Cycle Analyst has a function to limit amps, and that the controller is rated for 40 amps. Can I have it draw more amps, with relatively low risk say for the first few seconds of acceleration, how many more amps, and how would I set that up?

Also, is there anyone around who has run with both 72 and 96 volts on a 5xxx? Is there a perceptible difference, and is it "worth it" to use the higher voltage at the same wattage to combat Peukert's Law?

The 40 amp controller is supposed to limit at, well, 40 amps. The CA can be used to lower the limit, but you cannot increase it without doing something to the inside of the controller. The motor will see more than that during acceleration, but the battery side will stay below 40.

Running a higher voltage at a lower current (same power), will only help the Peukert problem if your higher voltage battery is the same Ah as the lower voltage one.

Switching to lithium batteries is the best way to deal with Peukert!

The difference between 72v and 96v will be noticeable in terms of acceleration and top speed.

I really don't recomend going above 72v on the bike you describe ( heck.. i suggest looking for a bike with disk brakes standard .. really.. ) 96v might require a spoiler !!! :shock:

It's a bit hard to understand if you have never driven an ebike, but take my word for it.. 72v x 40 amps on a 26" X5304 will blow your mind !!! (* Unless you regularly ride a Kawi Ninja or something.. lmao )

A first post from me - I've been prompted to join and post having read the excellent summary from lazarus2405.

I've also been researching options for the past couple of weeks, in my case looking for something to take the sting out of riding my SWB recumbent on a couple of low gradient, but long haul, hills on my daily commute. Unlike lazarus2405 I'm a grey haired old git, who hasn't got the thigh muscles for sustained hills.

I've ordered a Crystalyte 405 hub motor in a 20" wheel to replace my normal front wheel (the recumbent is a USS TW Bent). The controller is the 35A one and I'm initially going to test the set-up at 48V with some low capacity SLAs that I happen to already have (4 x 12V @ only 4.5 A/Hr). My guess is that these will only be good for a handful of miles, but at least I can play about and see if it's worth investing in either a set of decent NiMH or even Li Ion batteries.

Really impressed with the guys at ebikes.ca. Better service and a better price than anywhere I could find in Europe, even allowing for the air freight, customs and taxes payable on a shipment to the UK.

I'll report back once I have this test setup working.

Jeremy

I had a 405 in a 20" on my Folding bike, at 48v 20 amps and i could easily cruise along with minimal pedal power, it's a nice combo, 4.5ah of SLA will really limit the performance , i expect that they may not even produce 40 amps at all or for more than a few seconds so keep that in mind.

A very different animal than L's 72v X5 !!

Yes, props to Ebikes.ca.. those guys are great ! 8)

Ypedal said:
I really don't recomend going above 72v on the bike you describe ( heck.. i suggest looking for a bike with disk brakes standard .. really.. ) 96v might require a spoiler !!! :shock:

It's a bit hard to understand if you have never driven an ebike, but take my word for it.. 72v x 40 amps on a 26" X5304 will blow your mind !!! (* Unless you regularly ride a Kawi Ninja or something.. lmao )

Well, I have not... and to be honest, you're most likely right about there being no need for more voltage. The more I dig, I find stories of people downsizing their wheel diameter or otherwise changing their configurations because they have no use for speeds above 35mph. It must be a disease of youth to think myself immune. :-D

I think that I'll order 8 batteries anyway, to have two spares, or if I ever want to experiment with the extra batteries (Say a 4s2p config for a lot of Wh at 48v) or use them in a different project. Nothing wrong with a little extra acid in the dorms.

For mounting the batteries, I was planning on (at least initially) carrying them in saddlebags mounted in a basket on either side of the rear wheel. I know that this places almost all the weight, motor, batteries, and rider, over the rear wheel and that that will affect my handling. However, with no experience yet with the dimensions of the batteries, I cannot envision exactly how else to mount them. When I have the parts, I'll fiddle with em...

lazarus2405 said:
My daily commute to class and back really is about a total of .5 miles.
Uhm... this is a detail worth considering as well.

Do you plan on long-range high-speed driving before and after college or is this a " Get me to point A and back " commuter bike ?

Consider a BMX with a front 4 series with a few Dewalt packs in a back-pack,.. 2.3ah would get you to college and back = 2 packs = 200 $ and a 1 hr max charge time

Haha, I'll get working on that and tell you how it goes. In the mean time...

I'm seriously considering leaving the SLA camp. I realized that what I was doing was rather more expensive than what I had imagined when I chose SLAs based on price. Given a $500 battery budget, what is the best that you folks can find?

My first attempt is from Justin at ebike.ca's battery shop, where for ~$430 I could get 2x36v 7Ah (tested, not nominal rated), which while less capacity than I want would give ~20min of joyriding or ~20miles of range... Does that sound right?

xyster,
How much did your 80V 33Ah pack end up costing, and how much work did you have to do (especially to wire for charging)?

Ypedal said:
Do you plan on long-range high-speed driving before and after college or is this a " Get me to point A and back " commuter bike ?

Hm, I do need to be clearer. The bike will be a high-speed joyriding bike (and I'd think that the longer the joyride, the better), a car replacement for 8-15 mile trips 1 roughly once week, and something I incidentally jump on for the quick trip across campus for a few classes.

Also... winter is coming, and it snows in Oklahoma. SLAs definately don't win any points in that category...

lazarus2405 said:
Haha, I'll get working on that and tell you how it goes. In the mean time...

I'm seriously considering leaving the SLA camp. I realized that what I was doing was rather more expensive than what I had imagined when I chose SLAs based on price. Given a $500 battery budget, what is the best that you folks can find?

The best $500 battery, IMO, would be made from $500 of either Dewalt/A123 or Milwaukee/Emoli powertool packs bought on ebay or amazon. For the most range/capacity for that money in a lithium system, the laptop 18650 cells like I use are the best -- but they're, uhm, rather explosive if mishandled, or mis-manufactured, and won't last as long as the powertool pack batts (about 5 years versus probably 10+ years).

My first attempt is from Justin at ebike.ca's battery shop, where for ~$430 I could get 2x36v 7Ah (tested, not nominal rated), which while less capacity than I want would give ~20min of joyriding or ~20miles of range... Does that sound right?

That's 72v X 7ah = 504 watt-hours of energy. 504 watt-hours of energy buys you about 1 hour of steady riding at 20 mph, or 30 minutes at 25mph, or about 15-20 minutes of extreme uphill, or accelerate-your-brains-out riding. Justin's Nicad and NiMH batteries are about as good as nickel batteries get, but have had many problems with cells and chargers dying prematurely. I went straight from lead to lithium, and am glad I did. I think his packs are still a reasonable option for you, though -- certainly much better than SLA in every respect except reliability.

xyster,
How much did your 80V 33Ah pack end up costing, and how much work did you have to do (especially to wire for charging)?

I was able to get the 300 cells for about $3/each, plus another $200 for the 20 single-cell chargers I use. The amount work I've done on the pack has totaled in the hundreds of hours. Not because the pack is flaky, but because I resoldered and rewired the whole thing three times now in order to try different physical configurations in also-homemade boxes, and because it took some experimentation and error to find the right number of cells to wire in parallel (I killed a couple dozen in the process). The mistakes I made wouldn't need to be replicated, as they've been documented here.

Since I bought them just over a year ago, my batteries have since gone up in price by about a $1 each, and the A123 and Emoli cells have broached the market. If I had to do it again starting today, I'd choose the emoli/Milwaukee route instead. My present upgrade plan is to build a 23s4p 92-cell 92 volt 12ah pack of emoli's from 14 7-cell milwaukee V28 packs (about $80 each). Your pack could be smaller. Problem with using the cells I use now is also that it takes a high number in parallel to safely provide the controller's max amperage -- so there is no small pack option if you were to use laptop 18650s (which is not a problem really if you want a super high-capacity pack, but now that I've thought about it, probably would require spending about double your budgeted $500).

Here's the cells I use now:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1643
And the emoli's that I want next (unless something better comes along of course), and that other ebikers here such as Jondoh use:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7p86

Laz,

If you're not in a hurry, keep tabs on the LiFe market. The factories in asia are ramping-up production of this chemistry and I expect a flood of options and competitive pricing to be available in less than six months.

If you are itchy... you could run stock DeWalt packs or emoli packs for a few months, then liquidate them for a shift into LiFe cells. (There will always be a secondary market for powertool batteries.)

TylerDurden said:
If you're not in a hurry, keep tabs on the LiFe market. The factories in asia are ramping-up production of this chemistry and I expect a flood of options and competitive pricing to be available in less than six months.

If you are itchy... you could run stock DeWalt packs or emoli packs for a few months, then liquidate them for a shift into LiFe cells. (There will always be a secondary market for powertool batteries.)

If I built a pack from A123s (LiFePO4 chemistry), or emoli's (LiMn chemistry) I sure as heck wouldn't want to trade down later to lesser quality chinese LiFePO4 ebike packs. The quality of goods coming from China is not going to be up to snuff in the next 6 months -- the backlash/quality improvement process takes longer than that. And the better quality ebike packs out of Taiwan and Japan will remain more expensive than the powertool packs because volume is much less.

Why the Milwaukee over the DeWalt? I thought that a123s were the dog's bollocks and Emoli second-best.

And with the Milwaukee, one pack contains 7 cells with a nominal voltage of 4v, and approx. 3Ah per cell. With $500, that's 6 packs, 42 cells, for 540Wh. How much current can those Emoli discharge continuously? Because if they can handle a lot, I think that a 84V 6Ah 21s2p setup would be optimal as a starting point. I can always add more as future funds allow.

Amazon shows a shipping weight of 2.4lbs for one battery pack. That'd be ~10lbs after it is all packaged, providing 540Wh. For the same $500, I could make a 92v 8s 20Ah 1840Wh pack, weighing in at 112lbs. 1/3rd the capacity, at 1/11th the weight.

How much abuse could such a setup take in terms of deep discharges, and how quickly can they be recharged? And how on earth would I go about modifying the things into a setup like this properly? I assume all that extra little protection circuitry in the pack need to be preserved somehow. If you can explain to me how to take those packs and turn them into an easily-chargeable safe single battery pack, I'm all on board.

Back