First-timer getting down to business

Aerospace here...I actually plan on getting my RC stuff up here in the spring and build some really big scratchbuilt foamies. With a123s of course. Perhaps I can race with a friend, one on the ebike, the other with the transmitter...Anyway

Waterproofing! I need some tips, especially with the throttle... Hopefully there's a way that's more elegant than throwing a plastic bag over it.

lazarus2405 said:
Waterproofing! I need some tips, especially with the throttle... Hopefully there's a way that's more elegant than throwing a plastic bag over it.

See above, unless you're intimating that my ideas sucked. :)

xyster said:
See above, unless you're intimating that my ideas sucked. :)

My apologies; I posted without refreshing. I even responded with my major, unwittingly answering the question I had thought no one had asked. :lol:

then wrapped the outer casing in duct tape hooded such that the seam between the body and the handlegrip is protected from rain, but the twisting action remains unconstrained.

Can you please elaborate, with pictures if possible? I can't quite visualize how it can be waterproof and unconstrained.

As for the silicon caulking, how is it applied? Are there any special tools required, such as an applicator or caulk gun?

I'm open to the silicon idea, but I just don't have any experience with it. Either way would require a trip to a hardware store and thus is equally convenient. Really, who brings a hot-melt glue gun to the dorms?

What about enclosing my battery packs? I've seen a lot of people with various bags mounted above the rear wheel, either on a platform connected near the rear axle or on a arm off the seat tube. My frame has threaded holes to accommodate the former, and I see that you use the latter. I know I can pick either up at my LBS. As for the bags themselves, will a LBS carry those too? Or can you refer me to something online? I'd ideally like to be able to hold 9 of the Milwaukee packs and ultimately have some way of carrying some small cargo.

lazarus2405 said:
My apologies; I posted without refreshing. I even responded with my major, unwittingly answering the question I had thought no one had asked. :lol:

That's an interesting coinky-dinky. :D

Can you please elaborate, with pictures if possible? I can't quite visualize how it can be waterproof and unconstrained.

OK, I attached pics. I sealed the throttle with silicon before wrapping it with duct tape. I also smeared silicon onto the top of the duct tape to keep it from peeling after getting wet. The smeared silicon tends to flake off, but thicker beads stay in place nicely.

And just for the heck of it, I included a pic of my pack charging this morning. The main power relay is in the box between the two sides holding the batteries, just below the charging ports. The SPST paddle switch on the front of the box controls the relay.
As for the silicon caulking, how is it applied? Are there any special tools required, such as an applicator or caulk gun?

Just squeeze the tube to shoot the bead where you need it. It's sticky stuff; hard to wash off. Takes about 24-48 hours to dry completely. But just an hour or so to form a skin, so you needn't wait the full time before working with the glued object.

Really, who brings a hot-melt glue gun to the dorms?
In my experience, all kinds of weird stuff ends up in dorms. Pack mules...fully re-assembled automobiles...stolen beer and pizzas, you name it. :) And, of course, cases of duct tape for hazing rituals and stripper bondage parties. I was never a member of a fraternity (hated that idea), but I did camp out for a couple weeks, when I needed a place, underneath the pool table of ATO. They eventually told me I either needed to join, or hit the road. I chose the latter. :D

What about enclosing my battery packs?
That's a very "personal preference" sort of thing. You can find a wealth of waterproof bags from bike stores online. I built wood boxes for mine, with waterproof nylon coverings too, but only because my individual cells didn't already have a fixed enclosure like yours will.

I won't need to do anything to waterproof the Powerpoles, will I? I mean, what will the rain do? Increase contact area? Oh noes!

Also, your charging setup is simply too elaborate for me. Just too much for a dorm room. For simplicity (the fewer wires near my bed, the better), I'm going with one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2rg6g6. Pretty much the same price as three discrete chargers, but only occupying one outlet!

Also, this is my first time seeing your handlebars up close. I really dig the old-school galvanometers.

Waterproofing the batteries should be easy, just like the rest: at case joints and where my wires exit.

I've never looked for bike accessories online, so I have no idea where to start. Got a recommendation for an online store with a huge selection? Like Newegg, but for bikes (Newegg.com is the hands-down best source of any and all computer components on the web, for the uninitiated).[/url]

lazarus2405 said:
I won't need to do anything to waterproof the Powerpoles, will I? I mean, what will the rain do? Increase contact area? Oh noes!

So long as dirty road spray doesn't provide a conductive path where none should exist, water around the connectors shouldn't cause a problem. I squirted some silicon down the connectors, where the wire enters, anyway.

Also, your charging setup is simply too elaborate for me. Just too much for a dorm room. For simplicity (the fewer wires near my bed, the better), I'm going with one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2rg6g6. Pretty much the same price as three discrete chargers, but only occupying one outlet!

Oh I wasn't suggesting you'd be better off with individual chargers or anything else (necessarily) about my system.

Since you're keeping the BMS intact for charging, the stock charger is probably much better. I really like that multi-pack charger you selected.
Also, this is my first time seeing your handlebars up close. I really dig the old-school galvanometers.

Thanks. They were cheaper, and for me, easier to read while riding than fancy digital meters. I still plan to get a CycleAnalyst later, but only for its amp-hour counting and cruise-control like functionality.

I've never looked for bike accessories online, so I have no idea where to start. Got a recommendation for an online store with a huge selection? Like Newegg, but for bikes (Newegg.com is the hands-down best source of any and all computer components on the web, for the uninitiated).

Here's two places I've bought from without problems:
http://www.nashbar.com/
http://www.universalcycles.com/
This place is popular, though I haven't bought there:
http://www.performancebike.com/?PID=1316453

I'm sure other people here could provide many more recommendations. Amazon also carries a good selection of bike accessories.

xyster said:
Oh I wasn't suggesting you'd be better off with individual chargers or anything else (necessarily) about my system.

Mmm, no, but I think that I would be one to tie all those cords together into just two cables, either by wrapping with electrical tape or braiding. The tape route may look cleaner, but a couple dozen wires braided can be worn as a belt when not in use.

xyster said:
In my experience, all kinds of weird stuff ends up in dorms. Pack mules...fully re-assembled automobiles...stolen beer and pizzas, you name it.

That stuff would not be weird in a dorm.

Textbooks would be weird in a dorm.

:p

TylerDurden said:
Textbooks would be weird in a dorm.

:p

Yah. I sure hope lazarus2405 isn't under the impression he'll actually be able to study while he has an ebike. :)

Mmm, not quite. See, I entered with 24 hours of AP credits, and because of that I don't really have classes to take! I need to take their calc series before I can start engineering courses, but until then I'm stuck trying to find hours. This semester, I've only got 9. :shock:

I'll be honest, and many folks I know would strongly disagree, but with so much free time, there is only so much World of Warcraft one can play. :roll:

So I need(ed) a hobby. I decided I wanted to see if I could electrify my bike, found a few projects people had done here and there, and then I found this place. And so far I've learned quite a lot, which should be applicable to when I start making fliers in the spring. Between the two, I should be set.

I FOUND IT!

Xy, your hunch was dead on about the Milwaukee BMS not playing nicely with three in series. I was doing more reading in Maytag's E-moli build thread. Long story short, back in April he borrowed one of Jondoh's packs for some 84v action, put a little power to the ground, and fried not only one of the Milwaukee BMSs but also one phases of his controller. More details and a pic of the fried fet can be found here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=183

Thanks for finding that bit of critical info, lazarus, which as good as clinches the case for a "no more than two V28 packs in series without bypass" rule. If I remember correctly, the Dewalt pack BMS blows up if more than one pack is put in series, and has a 15A fuse which limits current, and is also more generally fragile. So bypass is critical for Dewalt pack systems of more than 36 volts, or more than 15 amps per pack in parallel.

And it's far better to learn this now, as opposed to blowing a BMS I plan on using to charge the packs. It was fortunate that Maytag had the spares laying around.

lazarus2405 said:
Since I will no longer be putting 100lbs of batteries on the bike, I think that braking will be less of an issue, but I still want to have as much braking as I can get.
Small but important point. The heavier the bike is, the HARDER it is to stop. 100 lbs. of batteries means you need better brakes.

Back