Flipsky 75100 sensor detection fail help

simplegreen8

10 µW
Hi,
I have a Flipsky 75100 aluminum PCB version running a Voilmart 1500w hub motor.
The initial setup through the VESC app worked without issue.
https://flipsky.net/products/flipsk...ric-skateboard-scooter-ebike-speed-controller

I then did some cable management before an initial test drive, and nothing was working.
I went through the motor setup again, and it is saying Detection failed. Reason: Sensor detection failed

I assumed this message was talking about the hall sensors and that I managed to pull something out or break a wire with the zipties. However, when I checked the continuity from the hall sensors to the vesc, everything was below 1 Ohm.

I then checked the hall sensors themselves by spinning the motor and measuring the voltage. All hall sensors seem to be in working order, alternating on/off with 3.3v. I updated the firmware and tried several power cycles as well.

I am a bit stumped at this point. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very thankful.

Hope you figure it out and post the solution. That's what I experienced with my hub motor, and finally put it aside for future troubleshooting, since it was getting too frustrating. The only thing I haven't tried is swapping two of the hall sensor wires before running the detection, which I saw on one setup video, but no explanation why (and couldn't think of a logical reason, so never tried it).

I will let you know if a find a solution. Going to take let it sit and take a look at it tomorrow. Definitely frustrating.
Are you also using a Flipsky 75100?

simplegreen8 said:
I will let you know if a find a solution. Going to take let it sit and take a look at it tomorrow. Definitely frustrating.
Are you also using a Flipsky 75100?

Yup. The most I got was a few ticking sounds and a slight movement every once in a while.

simplegreen8 said:
I went through the motor setup again, and it is saying Detection failed. Reason: Sensor detection failed

Maybe not helpful in this scenario, but I was pulling my hair out with motor detection failing.

It was because the "Maximum Voltage" of the system was set to 72v and I had a fully charged (84v) battery plugged in. So it was actually a bogus error. I fixed the max voltage and detection went without a hitch.

I connected the old controller from the hub motor kit, and it worked without issue, further narrowing it down to the Flipsky.

I see a setting for voltage cutoff, but where is there a "Maximum Voltage" I can change?

I also tried every combination of hall sensor connections. All of them resulted in the same error. "Sensor detection failed"

I also tried using the desktop version of the VESC Tool

It's strange, the first time setting it up it worked flawlessly. The only response I get from the motor now is when I first plug it in. There is a quiet noise for a split second then the flashing red light comes up on the controller.

I will have a look inside the controller and see if anything looks burnt out.

simplegreen8 said:
I see a setting for voltage cutoff, but where is there a "Maximum Voltage" I can change?

Motor Settings > General > Advanced (tab) > Maximum Input Voltage

You can also go into the "VESC Dev Tools" > "VESC Terminal" and attempt to run "fault" or "faults" commands for maybe more info.

Thank you! That has got to be the issue since the only thing changed from the previous test is the battery being fully charged.
However, the VESC tool wont let me set max voltage above 72V (screenshot attached). Is there a workaround for this?
I’m running a 20s pack. Was about 71v on the initial setup that worked.
Screenshot 2022-11-04 013149.png

Maybe updating to one of these will help:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/how-to-update-firmware-on-the-flipsky-75100-foc-esc/61819

I can't say for sure, my 75100 came with a firmware version that let me go up to 86v for that setting.

Thank you everyone for the help! Uploading the "vesc_default_no_hw_limits" firmware and increasing the max voltage fixed the issue. Now it's time to get everything buttoned up, and hope no more issues arise.

simplegreen8 said:
Thank you everyone for the help! Uploading the "vesc_default_no_hw_limits" firmware and increasing the max voltage fixed the issue. Now it's time to get everything buttoned up, and hope no more issues arise.

That's great! Now I just need to find some time to hook mine up and try the same thing.

Were you able to get the Flippy 75100 VESC working well with the hub motor?
I'm getting a lot of studdering and noise under load with it (both in sensorless and hall sensor mode)
I thought it might be a bad connection with a phase wire, but I resoldered all of the connections and have zero issues with the old controller.
Does anyone happen to have the detection results or parameters that have worked for them with the Flippy 75100 and a 9c hub motor?

I don't have much experience with this. Attached are my motor wizard detection results.

Attachments

• IMG_7718 4.PNG
    IMG_7718 4.PNG
    74.1 KB · Views: 134
I'll share my post, at the bottom you'll see the FOC settings that are working alright for me. No shuddering but it does struggle at lower RPMs and to get up and go on any kind of incline.
--------------------------------
Anyone with any experience using VESC controllers with DD hub motors please advise!

I am building a custom ebike with a 1500w direct drive hub motor. Before the flipsky 75100 that I am currently using, I had a Kelly KLS-S 48v controller on it. Specs on that were are sinewave FOC, 50amp cont. 120amp burst, 48v.

My issue is that the Kelly controller had way better acceleration and torque from 0 to about 20mph, when compared to the flipsky 75100.

I have done the phase angle calibration several times over and played around with a lot of the different settings in the app but nothing seems to affect the bottom end acceleration. It has a bit higher top speed than the Kelly (with the same 48v battery), my guess there is something to do with flux weaking, but it doesn't get up and go and I'm looking for more acceleration, more punch. (to anyone that says that can't be achieved with a DD hub motor on a 29in wheel I assure you it's not the case. I've had ample acceleration both with the Kelly and the square wave chinese controllers.)

I checked for resistance and heat along all the wires and have eliminated that variable. 8-12g wire wherever possible, shortest phase wires possible. I'm an experienced battery builder so the power source can certainly supply more than the motor can accept which is around 40 amps cont. 80+amps peak. from the battery data I gathered from the smart BMS while running the Kelly Controller it rarely got above 60 amps and was averaging closer to 35 amps. Motor rarely got hot. top speed was around 31 mph. yet it had great acceleration, never studdered, was always smooth off the line.

My guess is that it is something in the VESC app settings. I have cranked the amperage settings up even to 100, for both battery and motor to little effect. When you run the phase angle tuning there's even a selection for DD ebike hub motors that I used that pre sets all the motor and FOC settings...

If it's not the VESC setings, the only other thing I can think of is that the 75100 vesc, being a 72v controller with components rated for 100v isn't all that happy with the lower 48v input voltage. But that's just a wild guess and I think it's probably something in the FOC settings.

Could anyone provide any wisdom on the matter? It would be greatly appreciated.

FOC SETTINGS

zero vector frequency 25 kHz
Openloop ERPM 300
Motor Resistance 66.0 mO
Motor Inductance 74.35
Motor Flux Linkage 24.965 mWh
Current KP 0.0744
Current KI 65.97

I'm not sure exactly what effect it has, but I know the motor R/I/F will change on subsequent detection iterations presumably due to heat.

Do with that what you will.

I'm still trying to tune mine to get rid of cogging and improve range.

Change your APP CFG postive ramp time to 0.1s or even less. And adjust your throttle curve.
Under Hall sensors,
Sensorless erpm - 4000 or above
Hall interpolation Erpm - 300
All these should already provide good improvement.

How do I get this for the mobile platform? I don't see this firmware option...
I haven't tested this, but here is the procedure. Find the correct version of the vesc_default_no_hw_limits .bin firmware file for your controller (by googling it) and download to your phone. Then in vesc tool > Firmware > (scroll screen) > Choose File... > UPLOAD

Back