Front wheel motor

soldham

10 W
I am wanting to run a 2000w ASI controller a front wheel on my bike do I have to get a specific Hub motor design for a front wheel or can I use a rear wheel hub motor the dropouts are 135 mm

The front dropout of the fork is smaller then a rear dropout. That is why you see ebike motors or kits for sale that state FRONT or REAR. There are also Fat Bike motors with a much wider dropout for the fat bike frame. I just read up on a little bit of the fat frame info from fatbike.com and it states there are a few different sizes for fat bike in the rear dropout department. Not that it matters to your situation, but heres the link.
https://fat-bike.com/2013/03/fat-bike-101-frame-types/

Also make note:
you'd want to 110% use torque arms, and more preferably a steel fork.
And for high power applications, a front fork motor would be NOT good in so many ways!
Please consider buying a rear motor, and selling the front motor!

For your situation, if you want to learn more, Sheldon Browns website is very informative.
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Some standard spacings:
100 mm Modern front hubs.
130 mm Rear 7-speed (MTB) and 8- 9- and 10-speed (road).
135 mm Rear 7- 8- and 9-speed (MTB)

soldham said:
I am wanting to run a 2000w ASI controller a front wheel on my bike do I have to get a specific Hub motor design for a front wheel or can I use a rear wheel hub motor the dropouts are 135 mm

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=front+rear+motor&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

soldham said:

There are very few applications that can use a 2000W motor in the front wheel. You need a lot of weight on the drive wheel to keep it from slipping. If you slip the front wheel in a turn, you fall down.

This is what I want to put it on I am going to run a 3000 mxus in front with a ASI 2000 and ASI 4000 in the back to my cromotor Screenshot_20190604-053416_Photos-540x960.jpg

soldham said:
This is what I want to put it on I am going to run a 3000 mxus in front with a ASI 2000 and ASI 4000 in the back to my cromotor Screenshot_20190604-053416_Photos-540x960.jpg

Nope. The rearward weight shift will leave you without enough front traction to use the motor's power. You are wasting your time. If you want more power for your ugly little suitcase motorcycle, apply it to the rear wheel. Unless crashing is what you enjoy.

Sorry to yuck your yum. But that thing looks like an early 2000s gaming desktop computer with wheels stuck on it.

Hogwash, a 2000w front wheel is quite controllable by a good rider. You don't start power sliding that front wheel till you get closer to 4000w into it. ( you can always wash out a front wheel just from speed, or dirty pavement of course)

Yeah, honk 2000w onto a front wheel from a stop, it spins. But you aren't turning that much at that time usually. Of course, if you wheelie from the power in that back wheel, your front wheel won't grab pavement till it touches it. But again, no big deal for a good rider.

It is true that you might need to charge the bars when you take off on that thing. (lean forward I mean) Betcha you already have to do that, to keep the wheelies down when you want to turn.

If your front forks are 135 mm, the easy solution will be a rear motor. It might need different dishing, but it will fit the forks. For 2000w, a cheap motor similar to those in 48v 1000w kits will do fine. For more, you then need to go a bigger motor. But since its a front wheel, the 15 pound 28mm wide magnet motors will work best I think.

If your fork is 100mm, then you need a front motor. And chances are, big fat motors don't come in 100mm axles. More medium size ones do, like the crystalytes. Not sure about the big muxus.

Torque arms, you need em… Two. Along with C washers, or whatever it takes to make your TA's install perfect, and flat. I would get the Grin front torque arm, install it, make adjustments, then tighten the bolt.

THEN WELD THAT PIVOT TO MAKE IT A ONE PIECE TA. Then you have a TA setup that will be good to 3000w or more. It won't pivot at the bolt and allow it to change its fit, and rotate.

Make a custom one piece TA will work as well, two of em.

Another thing that might happen, is the forks will bind when you put power on the front wheel. That's more typical of a cheaper fork, like a bottom of the line rockshock. But if that does happen, you will need to coast over the bigger bumps so your forks work.

Chalo said:
Sorry to yuck your yum. But that thing looks like an early 2000s gaming desktop computer with wheels stuck on it.

Hah now that's funny

Back