Good hub motors that are efficient on battery, good torque on hills, can tow, good top speed?

Its more to do with the backing out and tightening action that loosens the bolts of the hub motor to the drop out that is the issue. If you don't cheap out on some flimsy great deal you got on tork arms and not over power too much then everythings kosher.

calab said:
Its more to do with the backing out and tightening action that loosens the bolts of the hub motor to the drop out that is the issue. If you don't cheap out on some flimsy great deal you got on tork arms and not over power too much then everythings kosher.

Regen is pricy, but I'm wasting so much damn time with this dumb Chinese seller. They didn't include my apartment number and UPS guy was lazy and marked delivered I assume after throwing the package out the truck. I think I'm done. What do you recommend?

MarkJohnston said:
Regen breaking would put a bunch of strain on my drop outs, they're already maxed out as is.

If you have correctly-installed appropriately-designed torque arms (or plates) for the motor / frame combination you're using, the dropouts won't see any stress; it would be taken up by the arms/plates.

amberwolf said:
MarkJohnston said:
Regen breaking would put a bunch of strain on my drop outs, they're already maxed out as is.

If you have correctly-installed appropriately-designed torque arms (or plates) for the motor / frame combination you're using, the dropouts won't see any stress; it would be taken up by the arms/plates.

He's right that regen braking will be trouble, though. Most folks probably don't have the technical acumen to prevent torque reversal from backing off the axle nuts. Those who remember to tighten the nuts periodically will eventually forget.

Also, torque retention is a much shakier proposition with a 12x10mm axle than with 14 or 16x10. I don't know which one the OP has, but I definitely wouldn't fool around with regen on a 12mm axle.

I thought Regen was built into your motor? Correct me if wrong of course. All I need is a recommendation for a new motor/ controller/ (LCD) at this point. Maybe even mid drive if the price is right

This looks super pricy.

https://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-48v-52v-1500w-rear-electric-hub-motor-kit-1181.html?VariantsId=10024

MarkJohnston said:
I thought Regen was built into your motor? Correct me if wrong of course.

Only direct drive motors can do regen, but the function is in the controller and not the motor.

Its good you said plural, as in more then one torque arm which is only suitable for low power applications but always recommend plurals.

amberwolf said:
MarkJohnston said:

Chalo said:
MarkJohnston said:

Only direct drive motors can do regen, but the function is in the controller and not the motor.

Oops. What about the Grin MAC!

tomjasz said:
Chalo said:
MarkJohnston said:

Oops. What about the Grin MAC!

That one is a special case because it's specifically broken in order to support regen.

Chalo said:
That one is a special case because it's specifically broken in order to support regen.
LOL. Google should create a translator to convert Chalo-ese to something newbs can understand. Maybe a sticky with key terms and phrases would be enough, if you keep it narrowed to regen and disc brakes. Throw in helmets, and it's leaning toward Google again.

Lol.

I guess "Modified" = "Broken".. and if that is the case.. then " Broken" = "Modified"?

Right?
Imma go outside and break my bike now. HellyeaH ! Easy peasy. Super ebike time. Call me Valentino, cause imma going fast, once I really break it good. Get out that sledgehammer. Sign me up for the races.

Just for the record, " Broken" does not mean " Modified".

"Modified" =/= "Broken".
E-HP said:
Chalo said:
LOL. Google should create a translator to convert Chalo-ese to something newbs can understand. Maybe a sticky with key terms and phrases would be enough, if you keep it narrowed to regen and disc brakes. Throw in helmets, and it's leaning toward Google again.

Brakes for my iron frame freighter trike: To mount brake calipers, took a couple of pieces of 1/4 X 2" 90 degree angle aluminum and cut them into mounts for the calipers. Clamped them to the frame with suitably sized Ubolts. Have a milling machine but the work could have been done with a hacksaw and/or jig saw. Tapped the mounting holes for the caliper & plan on using locktite next time the calipers get taken off.
Took me a while to do, as I thought through the design for a while, then went very slowly on measuring and trial and error fitting. Did install bigger disks on the jump bike wheels as the trike frame did not give enough clearance.
The result is not pretty, as some mistakes were made. Now that we have a little more experience we can go for pretty, if we ever make another pair.
The brakes seem to work fine, one problem was finding a brake lever with a long enough throw to pull both front calipers, hydraulics would have been better.

DogDipstick said:
Lol.

I guess "Modified" = "Broken".. and if that is the case.. then " Broken" = "Modified"?

Right?
Imma go outside and break my bike now. HellyeaH ! Easy peasy. Super ebike time. Call me Valentino, cause imma going fast, once I really break it good. Get out that sledgehammer. Sign me up for the races.

Just for the record, " Broken" does not mean " Modified".

"Modified" =/= "Broken".
E-HP said:
Chalo said:

Well let's just say that if any of the other geared hub motors I've worked with behaved the same way, it would be time to repair them.

Maybe y'all would prefer "disabled" to "broken".

Disappointed to have someone whose skill and advice I respected go off and make no sense. None.

I'll take this moment to observe that fixed gearing in bicycles went away over one hundred years ago for good reasons. Sticking it back in to e-bikes that don't need it is a mistake.

If you want regen despite it not living up to its hype, use a direct drive motor. Don't use an intentionally broken geared motor.

I finally understand why you get time outs…

Back