GT i-drive 2.0 Build

that little vid was completely juvenile and totally tasteless of me... i'm shocked and surprised at myself.

still, i wish i took the gopro to the pool yesterday. oh my freaking god. :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:

i finally disconnected that wood-block derailleur-mount this morning. (i've still got all of last week's footage to edit up, and nothing terribly sensational.) anyway, i heard some weird jangling/grinding sounds on the way in at various points and couldn't figure out what it was - i thought it might have been a loose wiretie or something. i noticed i heard it a bit more when i braked...

when i parked, i figured out what it was, or rather had been... :shock: :
IMG_20110718_073426.jpg

that site looks fun, btw i completely agree with John re: the 5 footer Greg, too much for your bike, don't do it.

D

yickes run away disc! im just putting a caliper on my dd rear right now,im going to be sure of them not,backing out.

GCinDC said:
chroot said:
Don't let this lady see your video or you will ending up lawsuit violated her privacy rights. hehe :lol:
Most of my vids, certainly this one and all the ones I'm doing stupid stuff on my bike will not be made public. I keep them 'unlisted' and post them here for (on average) 35-45 of you loyal followers to watch... :wink:
Nahhh, if the person is in public & not wearing the appropriate attire, then it's fair game if caught on video. It's not as if you are directing the camera in a specific action with purpose to spy on "something" specific. :lol:

Though publishing "privates" with facial identification is going to violate privacy laws w/o permission on some "broadcast" platform. Don't match the face with the "exposure" online too! :p

You need to jump & land on ramp declines to be safe w/your bike... otherwise, you need a DJ hardtail...

Check it out...

[youtube]Cj6ho1-G6tw[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
threads on remaining holes were stripped. couldn't tighten them.

im curious, how did the screws get stripped? user error or weathering?

do you think you can salvage the brake mount by rethreading the screw section?

I guess you can always use some of that crazy strong epoxy that doctobass has used for his torque arm mounts... although this would make changing the disc brake rotor impossible...

...interested to know how you fix this if you do..

doc007 said:
how did the screws get stripped? user error or weathering?
i'm pretty sure it was caused by the crappy single piston caliper, pressing the rotor out of true.

i could never get the rotor perfectly centered. at first it was too far one way and after a tire change, the rotor rubbed a bit. so a couple months ago i added a washer to re-center it, but it just moved to the other extreme edge. and while it didn't rub, the braking action, and the shrinking pads, causing further pressure, just pushed the loosest screw out. i've just been listening to the sound of it on my vids from last week. a sound i couldn't identify at the time. after that, i was just a matter of time before the rest followed. it's a dang shame.

i gotta get vbrakes on there until i can figure out the next move.

Highlights from last week. The first guy was a freak. I felt bad I scared him. But his reaction was so strong, it worked for the song...
[youtube]UTTDn5U71Ac[/youtube]
i've become fond of my outside > inside > outside route on that circle at 0:30 and a couple other times in this vid. the building there is the Australian Embassy. cheers mates... :wink:

deVries said:
You need to jump & land on ramp declines to be safe w/your bike... otherwise, you need a DJ hardtail...Check it out...
yo, that's one of my favorite vids. i posted it in this thread in fact about 50 pages back. amazing.

jump and land on ramp, huh? maybe i'll bring the shovel with me next time and work on proper jump somewhere on the way to work... :lol:

GCinDC said:
Get well soon, Hyena!
[youtube]ed6GID6yCh0[/youtube]
hehehe I think you may have trumped me there my friend. Nicely captured, I love the slow mo fluttering of the skirt in the breeze too, so... cinematic :lol:

thats some bad slop Greg, is there enough meat to rotate the disk and drill and tap new holes halfway between the originals? or maybe drill and tap the existing holes to maybe 8mm or so and use cut dwon bolts?
We need to see a pic of the holes with the disk off.
i also wondering what that girl would do if she dropped something? :lol:

D

deecanio said:
...bad slop...is there enough meat to...that girl would do if she dropped something?
mmmm, sloppy... lol. what can i say, it's summer time... :mrgreen:

was too hot last night, well over 100F in the garage, so waited till this morning; spent 1/2 hr removing the rotor and cannibalizing another bike to install Vbrakes. and wow, there's no more of that white noise coming from the rear wheel. it even felt like i was going faster!

and i like the feel of the vbrakes! (or just the absence of grinding?) anyway, it's a relief, and frankly i thought i'd go w/o rear brakes this week...

going in later also meant more traffic... :twisted:

to answer your question tho, i'd be tempted to retap the wheel to replace the rotor, but i don't see a point until i get better calipers, and at ~$240, i'm not enthusiastic...

hey greg,

sounds like you're going to need some N2000 stuff as well, if you buy a pack i'll split it w/u.

i've got avid bb5's as a rear one of my bikes and i personally find they are more than enough. cheapest ive found here @ $30.00

also found pinkbike.com a great place to pick up second hand deals

good luck w/ the repair

newb said:
i've got avid bb5's as a rear one of my bikes and i personally find they are more than enough. cheapest ive found here @ $30.00
so those calipers fit ok? yeah, mechanical oughta be fine... so you haven't fixed the side cover yet? you're in CA? TX?

re bikes and gopro (and DIY medical treatments), this is amusing... :lol: :
[youtube]TAk70_WkIVo[/youtube]
i think some guidance for the kid on the head angle might have made it easier... ahhh, fatherhood. cute kid. here was the first pull...

GCinDC said:
so those calipers fit ok? yeah, mechanical oughta be fine... so you haven't fixed the side cover yet? you're in CA? TX?

actually mines not on a 9c so i cant say but if 160 doesnt 185 certainly should. but if u dont have a 185 the jump up to the bb7 for $46 w/ a 185

actually just found this thread w/ bb7's and a 9x7

seattle - but havent made it back stateside yet, still another month before i can get started

johnrobholmes said:
5 feet aint no joke. The frame and suspension aren't made for that kind of drop from concrete to concrete with no transition. You may blow a seal trying that drop unless you do it smooth.
deecanio said:
btw i completely agree with John re: the 5 footer Greg, too much for your bike, don't do it.
deVries said:
You need to jump & land on ramp declines to be safe w/your bike... otherwise, you need a DJ hardtail...

full-throttle said:
Definitely downhill slope landing - much easier on the bike and the rider.

I'm starting to get the impression that you don't think I should try this drop... :idea:

So what do I need to do it? I've just been searching rear shock specs, but not getting very far. The Stealth Bomber has 250mm of travel (fighter:200mm). So that should be a guide of sorts for a heavy bike...

My fox float looks pretty puny in comparison... with either 1-2" (25-50mm) of travel? is that right? (or does the bomber travel refer to the wheel travel?

Reality check time! Time to look in the mirror and see who you really are. I've got a Cross Country (XC) bike, that just happens to have front DH forks (w/ ~170mm travel)... I sort of knew that but didn't really know it until studying the differences, and rear travel is a big one...

OK. So would a bigger better rear shock would do the trick...? :mrgreen: I mean, if it does it's job, the stress on top bolt should be less than that say the 3.5' drop w/ existing 50mm travel shock...

Len, how did you decide to go w/ your rear shock? What kind of drops do you expect it can take?

This should all be easy physics, no? :oops:

Obviously, this frame wasn't designed for it. No problem. So what frame is?

This is the kind of bike I would BEGIN considering a 5 footer to flat. Even then, you gotta really have some skills launching off of big drops. I would never do it on any kind of ebike. But I can't afford any more high impacts with terra firma. The older you get, the less you bounce when you hit the ground, and the more you SMACK.

imagesCAZNNV6X.jpg

About a decade ago, when I was riding pedal bikes quite abit, I was preparing for a solo coast to coast bike trip and became good friends with the then art director for Dirt Rag magazine. Tom was a park rider and owned a BMW race link, as well as a BMW park bike. After a visit to brooklyn at their shop, and a group ride through the park, it was very clear that HUGE moves, 8 feet drops to flat, hucking themselves off 7'-8' footers at 30 mph and landing them clean, requires a degree of planning and exucation that I just was unable to get with. While working with Tom the summer I left for my cross country trip, he found and then talked about a particular obstacle for about 2 months, and then rehearsed what he had to do in his mind over and over again for weeks before he finally approached it. Most folks see a guy on a bike launching off some humongous ledge and assume they just rode up and went for it! rarely that is ever the case.

Anyway, the shock is just a small part of the machine - the rear suspension design on the BMW race link is esentially honda's patented pro link system, but incorporating a jackshaft and a few other bicycle specific alterations to reduce pedal bob and chain growth..

For MY bike, I have compromised. I have a 25 pound rear wheel wagging around on a swingarm, anticipating being connected to a ~100 pound ebike, with a 170 pound rider, traveling at speeds up to 40+ mph. The force generated by this rolling circus on my anticipated terrain - (70% paved pittsburgh roads (some potholes, buckled pavement,etc) and 30% logging roads, dirt roads and groomed singletrack) given my less than optimal suspension design, is what led me to go with a moto cross weight shock. NOT for big-hit, long stroke travel. Relative to the build level of the rest of the bike, a mountain bike shock simply would bottom out over just about anything at speed.

I have no intentions of leaving the ground and heading upwards toward the skies again until I go to heaven....

Len

Perfectly summarised Lenk.
I run similair when on a hub,i have 5" fox vanilla rear travel, 6" on the bomber t's up front but i dont expect miracles, it's more to soak up the rough on the trail and give me plushness for 2 footers if im feeling brave :oops: lol
Greg i reckon for that sort of drop/jump you'd need a good quality freeride/dh bike and even then all im saying is that you could do it with a non e version, i still would be very wary of dropping a hub off 5 foot to concrete unless it had scaffolding for spokes and a top notch dual wall rim, and even then i'd be worried about the casings and bearings damage :lol:
The main problem with freeride/dh bikes that are built for these kind of hits is the closed frame design means a lack of mounting space, mind you it was designed to take beats, not ferry lipo and controllers around.
If i could pick and choose for a new build right now i'd be looking at timmas frame design/cyclone in a top end dh'er or some such, now that really would have a chance, especially as there would be no hub to consider.

D

+2
Don't go fiddling with your current bike the way it is now Greg, the xc set up is perfect for your fast commutes and skipping off gutters and the odd trail. Trying to land really big jumps will break one or more components and then you'll be up for a new bike to get to work and tow around the kids. Plus the more you bash it around now loosening and slightly cracking things the more likely it could let go at high speed one day out of the blue. Ive had a frame fold in half on me when landing off a gutter at 30 mph and it aint fun!
As i think I've suggested before, i'd hunt around for a bmx for jumping like this, and even then still be ready for it to end in tears :lol: but hey as long as the gopro is rolling ... :p

heheheheh, bang on the money Jay :lol:
keep the gt as is, think next bike ;)

D

G,
if you really want to get into some bicycle arial stuff I recomend you grab a 26" dirt jumper & have a ball learning some basic stuff. Has to be a BMX club near by for some giggles.
I have a neigbor 2 doors down building a huge jump playground / pump track. looking foward to losing some skin learning some stuff LOL!

best to learn the basice & step up to the bigger stuff when your confident. Even top Pro's have an incident when putting out 100% effort.

Check out Chad Reed at last weekends National in Millville MN. (spring creek moto park)
http://www.allisports.com/motocross/event/spring-creek-2011/video/chad-reed-crash-spring-creek

Thud said:
G,
if you really want to get into some bicycle arial stuff I recomend you grab a 26" dirt jumper & have a ball learning some basic stuff. Has to be a BMX club near by for some giggles.
I have a neigbor 2 doors down building a huge jump playground / pump track. looking foward to losing some skin learning some stuff LOL!

best to lear the basice & step up to the bigger stuff when your confident. Even top Pro's have an incident when putting out 100% effort.

Check out Chad Reed at last weekends National in Millville MN. (spring creek moto park)
http://www.allisports.com/motocross/event/spring-creek-2011/video/chad-reed-crash-spring-creek

thats bloody impressive! lucky he hit the grassy downslope and didnt land on the flat hey?

I'm no expert, but I have been pushing myself further in the last few months than I ever accomplished on my XC bike for 4 years. How, you ask, well confidence, I say. Confidence through repetition and equipment designed for that purpose. I now have an all mountain bike that will take 5 foot drops and keep going, I can land a jump a little sideways on the fork and still have enough travel to correct before I get that bottom out wallowy feeling. Coming off riding only XC bikes, the suspension travel feels way soft, almost wasteful for pedaling, but after hitting 10 foot gaps you start to appreciate such things. It also helps to hit the same jump over and over again. I'll have to mount up my go pro for the next run, but the trail I run has plenty of jumps, or you can bypass them and still have a spirited run through the canyon. I say go out to rock creek, build a kicker off a hill with decent space for landing and stopping and perfect your technique there and call it a day. Go home, and next time you go out, hit it till you get bored then add a little height and repeat until you are sailing overhead. Then stop because you have a family. :wink:

I thought you used to ride BMX? I know you got skills from watching your videos.

It also might help your confidence having the right crash protection on in the first place, even a big puffy shirt filled with pillows will help and it will look even funnier on camera. :lol:

In a couple hours, I'll be piloting the maxi-van on a 16hr drive to Wisconsin for a 3 week vacation. Planning to drive through the night (so the little sleeps as much as possible. :roll: )

Anyway, thanks for all your comments! They were great. I value them all. You guys represent a lot of experience and have helped steer me around some bad ideas in the past, none worse than the baby on the beam rack idea. :shock: (despite my testing of the rack, which you all seemed to like so much).

Here's my reaction to some of your comments:
etard said:
It also might help your confidence having the right crash protection...
How'd this get to be about my confidence?? (Oh, yeah, Thud-buster, lol). I don't lack the confidence to do the five-footer, I lack the confidence that the frame will survive it, so that's what I wanted ideas on. Whether a new shock (adding ?" of travel) would do it, or do I need a new bike? (PS. I'm pysched to hear you're going nuts on the trail! Can't wait for the vids! Might take a minute, but unmount the gopro and prop it on a rock to catch a jump or two too... :twisted: )

Lenk42602 said:
This is the kind of bike I would BEGIN considering a 5 footer to flat.
Dude, that is awesome! I love it. I totally love it. And now I get it... I've been looking for cheap DH bikes, etc... Sometimes you gotta pay... or, do what you're doing: building it yourself! That BMW race link looks like a sweet design too. Is it me, or is that jackshaft begging for an RC motor conversion?

Thud said:
if you really want to get into some bicycle arial stuff I recomend you grab a 26" dirt jumper & have a ball learning some basic stuff. Has to be a BMX club near by for some giggles.... Chad Reed...
The chad spill is fun. I see it made it to DEVOUR yesterday also... I'd love to do more BMX, but the honest truth is that I'm now too out of shape! I used to be super athletic, and swore I'd never look like I do now. funny what happens after age 40. 5lbs a year, someone said. i still keep telling myself i've got to get back into shape, and i believe it but.. blah blah blah. point is, bmx ain't in the cards this year. but yeah, etard, i did used to do it. never flips, but huge jumps and retarded stuff back when i was indestructible...

and while i wish i had more dirt around, the reality is that i'm in a mostly urban environment... so this brings up the Dirt Jumper. built for urban stuff, right (albeit the 'dirt' in the name)? someone explain to me how a DJ can take an 8' drop so much better than a DH bike w/ suspension? nevermind the weight of the electrics. i just don't understand! you're gonna tell me that the DJ's frame and dropouts particularly are built to withstand a scud missile and that a shock is going to puke its guts once beyond it's rating? ok, the last part, i can believe, so the shock dies, maybe a frame bolt too, but i just don't get how a DJ w/o a suspension can take drops double the height of a bike w/ a proper suspension (and the same rider skill - particularly the ability to land level and adjust one's weight to minimize impact - indeed to act as a suspension.... there, i said. phew.

Hyena said:
Don't go fiddling with your current bike the way it is now Greg
I believe you're right. This build has been basically done for a while, but it's now sortof my blog, until I start on a new one. All the components I've got work well together, and aside for little shit, it's been very reliable.

bottom line 1, i'm sorely tempted to do the five footer just to prove i and the bike can do it. but i do believe it will kill the rear shock and/or frame, so i'm not going to do it.

bottom line 2, my next build will likely be full DH frame, and likely RC, maybe using one 5Ah pack (and a spare in a backpack?). and on that i will be doing 5' drops and driving OVER cars on my morning commute. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back