GT i-drive 2.0 Build

GCinDC said:
my next build will likely be full DH frame, and likely RC, maybe using one 5Ah pack (and a spare in a backpack?):

Brutal.

Have fun on the trip! Maxi van.... :mrgreen:

3 Week Vacation and no electric bike Greg? :p you need to get a BMX an electric BMX, heres me Lycra chasing on mine by the sea side :D tiny little BMX simply fitted in the trunk :) had so much fun :mrgreen: have a great vacation Greg :)

Attachments

• small13.jpg
    small13.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,114
Hey Greg,

Have fun in WI. I hear it is hot there, but then again I hear it is hot every where in the US at the moment.

Clay

flyinmonkie said:
Hey Greg,

Have fun in WI. I hear it is hot there, but then again I hear it is hot every where in the US at the moment.

Clay

Not here in Sunny Southern California, we are having chill (relatively) summer.

Sorry for preaching to the choir earlier Greg, you are one of the best riders on the board after all. I guess I just don't understand why you want to take a 5 foot drop, even without electricity I stay away from flat landings, I prefer turning lateral acceleration into speed. :p Maybe wait until you find a similar frame off ebay or something. I used to have one just like yours that I picked up for $100 because the seat tube had gotten ripped out at the top. It's a GT after all, these things are a dime a dozen these days. I have to agree with you on the whole dirtjumper vs. XC frame strength. They can't be THAT much stronger and the shock has to absorb SOME of the forces.

What a bunch of "wrapped in cotton wool" accident fearing fairies they are grindz ;) don't
be payin' no attention to them that frock motor is plenty strong enough, now roll the camera, and hit that jump you crazy frock jumpin' mofo :p

KiM

P.s I assure you there is no ulterior motive behind my post either grindz, as you

would well know I'm passionate about the well being of all frock motors :p

While Greg is in Wisconsin, I thought I'd post some other riding videos for your entertainment! :shock:

here's Danny McAskill again doing his amazing jumps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

AussieJester said:
What a bunch of "wrapped in cotton wool" accident fearing fairies they are grindz ;) don't
be payin' no attention to them that frock motor is plenty strong enough, now roll the camera, and hit that jump you crazy frock jumpin' mofo :p

KiM

P.s I assure you there is no ulterior motive behind my post either grindz, as you

would well know I'm passionate about the well being of all frock motors :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :!:

Hey Greg,

Just get a bike like Danny has & then you CAN really role over & smack cars on your way to work. :idea: :mrgreen:
ambroseliao said:
While Greg is in Wisconsin, I thought I'd post some other riding videos for your entertainment! :shock:

here's Danny McAskill again doing his amazing jumps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw

Greg, jumps are fun, but I’ve gone through 2 bike frame in 2 years. My jumps aren’t even that big, but I do lots of them and the frames don’t hold up with all the extra weight of an ebike. I wouldn’t push yours too hard. I hear you about the long suspension but it depends more on the style of riding you plan to do.

So on to a bike that is meant to for such abuse.

Here is my dirt jumper, it mostly made out of BMX part. It’s a Kona Cowan. Tough bike, travel on the suspension isn't as much as a DH, but for tricks and stuff you don't want that. It's more designed for BMX parks. But I’m sure it can handle the big jumps, it’s mostly technique. Danny Macaskill style drops, where you legs do most of the work. So the suspension on this bike is fairly stiff. Big DH style bikes are just meant to bomb down mountains. I wanted this bike to be able to play in the dirt parks and bmx bike parks if they let me.

It will also be my fist venture into an RC build, which is long overdue. This is my winter project, or late fall unfortunately. Unless, I get side tracked into building a backup frame for my trail riding. My bikes aren’t holding up to all the trail riding lately.

Cowan Dirt jumper 1.jpg
Motor and gearbox 1.jpg

GCinDC said:
In a couple hours, I'll be piloting the maxi-van on a 16hr drive to Wisconsin for a 3 week vacation. Planning to drive through the night (so the little sleeps as much as possible. :roll: )

Anyway, thanks for all your comments! They were great. I value them all. You guys represent a lot of experience and have helped steer me around some bad ideas in the past, none worse than the baby on the beam rack idea. :shock: (despite my testing of the rack, which you all seemed to like so much).

Here's my reaction to some of your comments:
etard said:
It also might help your confidence having the right crash protection...
How'd this get to be about my confidence?? (Oh, yeah, Thud-buster, lol). I don't lack the confidence to do the five-footer, I lack the confidence that the frame will survive it, so that's what I wanted ideas on. Whether a new shock (adding ?" of travel) would do it, or do I need a new bike? (PS. I'm pysched to hear you're going nuts on the trail! Can't wait for the vids! Might take a minute, but unmount the gopro and prop it on a rock to catch a jump or two too... :twisted: )

Lenk42602 said:
This is the kind of bike I would BEGIN considering a 5 footer to flat.
Dude, that is awesome! I love it. I totally love it. And now I get it... I've been looking for cheap DH bikes, etc... Sometimes you gotta pay... or, do what you're doing: building it yourself! That BMW race link looks like a sweet design too. Is it me, or is that jackshaft begging for an RC motor conversion?

Thud said:
if you really want to get into some bicycle arial stuff I recomend you grab a 26" dirt jumper & have a ball learning some basic stuff. Has to be a BMX club near by for some giggles.... Chad Reed...
The chad spill is fun. I see it made it to DEVOUR yesterday also... I'd love to do more BMX, but the honest truth is that I'm now too out of shape! I used to be super athletic, and swore I'd never look like I do now. funny what happens after age 40. 5lbs a year, someone said. i still keep telling myself i've got to get back into shape, and i believe it but.. blah blah blah. point is, bmx ain't in the cards this year. but yeah, etard, i did used to do it. never flips, but huge jumps and retarded stuff back when i was indestructible...

and while i wish i had more dirt around, the reality is that i'm in a mostly urban environment... so this brings up the Dirt Jumper. built for urban stuff, right (albeit the 'dirt' in the name)? someone explain to me how a DJ can take an 8' drop so much better than a DH bike w/ suspension? nevermind the weight of the electrics. i just don't understand! you're gonna tell me that the DJ's frame and dropouts particularly are built to withstand a scud missile and that a shock is going to puke its guts once beyond it's rating? ok, the last part, i can believe, so the shock dies, maybe a frame bolt too, but i just don't get how a DJ w/o a suspension can take drops double the height of a bike w/ a proper suspension (and the same rider skill - particularly the ability to land level and adjust one's weight to minimize impact - indeed to act as a suspension.... there, i said. phew.

Hyena said:
Don't go fiddling with your current bike the way it is now Greg
I believe you're right. This build has been basically done for a while, but it's now sortof my blog, until I start on a new one. All the components I've got work well together, and aside for little shit, it's been very reliable.

bottom line 1, i'm sorely tempted to do the five footer just to prove i and the bike can do it. but i do believe it will kill the rear shock and/or frame, so i'm not going to do it.

bottom line 2, my next build will likely be full DH frame, and likely RC, maybe using one 5Ah pack (and a spare in a backpack?). and on that i will be doing 5' drops and driving OVER cars on my morning commute. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Neugart PLE 80 8:1, should be strong enough to handle it. I have a PLS 70 25:1, but decided that it's too much gearing for this setup. Might be good for a trail bike though. Burtie has been using the 90 with good success, took me a while to find the right one. Tried other gear boxes but none seemed solid enough to handle the torque. i have the perfect setup for a small 2000w Nue motor commuter but only interested in trail riding for now.

hi GCinDC/greg! i've been reading your thread for a long time(2weeks?) and finally caught up with real life time! impressive time spent on bike! :wink:
I've been wondering how you using your brakes...well by the looks of your handle bar setup you have hydraulic disk brake on the left nd ebrake on right??
or do have different method of activating ebrake?? :roll:

Rui

kfong said:
Neugart PLE 80 8:1, should be strong enough to handle it. I have a PLS 70 25:1, but decided that it's too much gearing for this setup. Might be good for a trail bike though. Burtie has been using the 90 with good success, took me a while to find the right one. Tried other gear boxes but none seemed solid enough to handle the torque. i have the perfect setup for a small 2000w Nue motor commuter but only interested in trail riding for now.

While Greg is away, I thought I would take it massively off topic, so how about that debt ceiling?! :p

Kfong,
Are you actually getting around to a drive using the uber efficient Neu motor? I'm sure you will cause me much consternation for having sold it. A Neu motor on a Nuegart gearbox, a perfect companionship I would think. I have a 60 series Nuegart and for repeated abuse, I would say the 80 series will prove much more reliable. Soon, I will open mine up and see if there are any grindy bits floating around, it feels a little rougher than when I first got it and I only put about 10 hard miles of abuse, but was also going through some stupid chain jumping issues which might have sent some good shock loads through the system.

Actually it's some off brand gearbox I found that fits the shaft of the neu motor. The power setup would be used as an efficient street commuter. I would have to use a current limiter to protect the gearbox since it looks equivalent to a 40 series. It would make a small compact setup. I doubt if I would get around to it any time soon since it really does not fit my current needs. As far a I know it might end up in an RC plane. It's a nice motor, but the bigger ones have more appeal currently. The PLE is going to get the big Turnigy motor. The plan is to put a chain from the gearbox to a sprocket mounted on the left side of the bike next to the diskbrake. The bike is single speed, but seems to be geared ok, so most of that won't change.

etard said:
kfong said:

While Greg is away, I thought I would take it massively off topic, so how about that debt ceiling?! :p

Kfong,
Are you actually getting around to a drive using the uber efficient Neu motor? I'm sure you will cause me much consternation for having sold it. A Neu motor on a Nuegart gearbox, a perfect companionship I would think. I have a 60 series Nuegart and for repeated abuse, I would say the 80 series will prove much more reliable. Soon, I will open mine up and see if there are any grindy bits floating around, it feels a little rougher than when I first got it and I only put about 10 hard miles of abuse, but was also going through some stupid chain jumping issues which might have sent some good shock loads through the system.

hey folks, i'm back. and today's my birthday. 44. wow. still think i'm 24 for some reason... :lol:

i can't tell you how good it felt to hop on the bike after three weeks! i'd had skippic over on sunday and thankfully he noticed that two spokes were broken on my FRONT tire. so i drove easy on my monday commute wondering how many spokes were really needed to prevent a catastrophic event...

got new spokes at the shop and fixed them last night. i also got a new front axle to replace the quick release, to only slightly discourage theft. and the axle came with a seat post bolt too, so i can finally replace the odd fitting thing that was there (i've had the seat a bit too high for me, to accomodate the beam rack, but have wanted to be able to lower it for certain things.... :twisted: )

the batts were way out of balance. i'd left them at 3.85V. after a bulk charge, one cell was about a 1V out. i've left it on the balance charger, and finally after 16 hours that one cell's come back up. i'll check again tonight to see if it's gone out much. if so, might be time for those nanos.

i got word that energyNOW is finally going to run its ebike segment this weekend (8/20). if so, it looks like it will air three times on bloomberg. i don't have cable, so i may have to wait till they put it online. no idea who else they interviewed, but my expectations are VERY low.

finally, i got a new gopro. my old one is at the bottom of loon lake, the sd card full of tubing videos...

Hey Greg

Great to see that you are back!! we have missed your input, you missed some pretty heady stuff for a while, it's great that you can come back to your thread without seeing adverts for life insurance, Gopros and Helmets! ha ha.

So you lost your cam in the lake! darn it! I see Gopro make a little float device for the camera guessing you didn't have one then? I took mine in the sea on holiday it was a real hoot and the footage looks amazing, you can almost smell the sea every time you watch the clip it's that good quality, they really are amazing cameras aren't they.

Hey new batts already then? they haven't lasted long dood? mine are showing their age a bit now as well they still maybe have 6 months left, I will keep an eye on them and get some cash ready for a new set, think I may go down to 5S for the next pack build as I know someone with a few 5S packs laying about! ha ha 63V hot off the charger is a bit more than the BMC motors like but I can handle it.

Looking forward to seeing some more videos from you Greg, you need a scuba buddy to go get your camera back? tricky to find I suppose, how did it happen?

Hey and happy birthday! 44 eh? I thought you were younger than me Greg! its all the British sunshine we get here ;)

Knoxie

knoxie said:
you missed some pretty heady stuff for a while...
i know. i was able to get on by my phone sometimes but couldn't keep up. crazy story, but a heroic ending. thank god. i'd started to save my posts when i heard to leave everything...

...I took mine in the sea on holiday it was a real hoot and the footage looks amazing..
email me links, love to see them, even family, etc, if unlisted. did you ever put the bmx one up?

Hey new batts already then? they haven't lasted long dood?
maybe. too early to tell, but pretty sure one is hosed. seems early, doesn't it. i'll have to go back and look, but i'm sure they've got a fair number of cycles. and unfortunately some hard cycles at that, when i wasn't really watching and they may have dropped way too low.

Looking forward to seeing some more videos from you Greg, you need a scuba buddy to go get your camera back? tricky to find I suppose, how did it happen?
I considered scuba, only 25' down but zero visibility. It was actually a horrific accident. Shocking, sobering and a damn shame.

Welcome back Greg, I encourage for you check group buy in new sale on this ES forum and JR Holmes is going bring beast xlyte 5403 or 5404. I am not talking about 530X and this is about 540x motors freaking MONSTROUS hub motor! (150mm axle) viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30718 :lol:

Lastly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I glad you had good time on vacation

I met Kingfish in SF with bunch of ES members and we had blast good time there. I rode on Green Machine's ebike with HS35 motor. My god, This is so freaking blow 9C motors away, It seems never stop acceleration on merely the 48v pingbattery and I ran like 45mph to catch Eric (Green Machine's trike) unbelievable. I also rode Green Machine's new trike with 2 stage RC setup. OH SMOKE! Even worst, It was rocket motor and hardest acceleration ever I felt! I wish you could try it out ride Green Machine's recumpence custom made trike. It really tiny throttle opening and it surely spin real hard on street and very sensitive steering like F1 Indy race car.

I have pictures and video records. I am working the resize before post on Kingfish's thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28573

Welcome back Greg and Happy 44th birthday!

You may be 44 but you ride like a 24 year old! 8)

Sorry to hear your vacation wasn't as you had hoped. I hope everyone is OK or at least doing better.

Ambrose

Hi G

Yes must get around to doing the video! been a bit lazy on the video front for a while, sorry that the cam was lost but glad nobody was badly hurt though, I am sure there are plenty of gopros floating about in the sea, at the side of the road or at the bottom of lakes :? bit like that video of the seagul taking off with a gopro thinking it was food.

I will try and get the Holiday vid sorted :) might be worth strapping a cellog to your batteries to see if you can weed out the bad pack, I am going to run a cellog test on all my packs to check them now they are only a year old should help me decide what ones are bad and when to change them.

Have fun :)

Yay, Greg's back!

It's amazing how dangerous water can be. In my younger days I was riding on the back of a jetski with my friend blasting across the lake when I decided to test how it feels to fall off at speed. So I just kinda jump straight back in a sort of flying seated position (where were GoPros when you really needed them :wink: ) going about 50 mph. it's just water, right? All I have to say about that is up until that point in my life, I had never experienced an atomic wedgie, nor had I recieved an enema, I don't think I can say that anymore. It was an eye-opening ( amonst other orrifices) experiment. :lol:

On the spoke topic, I have ridden my enduro for days with 4 spokes missing without any noticeable ill effects, in fact there are three broken on it right now. The damn thing keeps killing the drive side spokes for some reason. And you can't just buy one, no you have to buy the whole freakin set! I almost think I should take it up with Yamaha, I've replaced nearly all the drive side spokes, this is a huge safety concern in my book. Especially on a freeway legal machine. Sorry, end of rant....

cool vid.i would like to see first rider perspective from a go pro on his bike.

Wow, can't believe you're that old buddy, just about as old as my father..... ZING! hahaaa

That explains why you didn't know what a hipster was..... :mrgreen:

Back