Heinzmann RN111 cargo bike motor

Iippa

10 µW
Has anyone successfully used the Heinzmann RN111 cargo bike motor in their build? I got my hands on one and I'm now trying to make it work with Vesc 6 but I'm having trouble getting the sensors to work. They have fairly good info on their website but unfortunately, it does not state anything about the pinout or type of sensors used.

The plug has three pins for motor phases and 2 + 5 signal pins. I'm assuming the two pins are for a temperature sensor and the remaining five pins are for hall sensors. I tried to measure the pinouts with a multimeter without luck and can't make it reliably work in sensorless mode either.

Your cable is probably called L1019, and the pinout is shown below in the pictures.

L1019.pngl10191.png

Last edited:
For this motor that configuration does not seem to apply but Heinzmann was kind enough to provide me the specs when asked. Here you go if someone else is wondering. Does not seem to be using hall sensors at all.

Attachments

• RN 111 Cargo-Power Motor HR-+-880-00-180-_j.PDF
    295.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Controller Heavy Duty - 880-00-212-.pdf
    302.9 KB · Views: 5
It is using hall sensors, but not the common UVW-corresponding digital type. Instead it's using SIN/COS whcih monitors a separate magnet ring in the rotor; the ring is magnetized with a continuously-varied field so it outputs a series of sinewaves to an analog hall sensor (SIN). Another sensor offset by 90 degrees of that field (not necessarily 90 compass degrees of the rotor) reads the COS.

1705630758207.png

I got this motor through unofficial channels. I believe Heinzmann is only selling B2B.

I got the motor working already before as I found the temperature sensor which was enough to make it work quite well in VSS mode with Vesc 6. I believe Vesc also supports sin/cos encoders so I'll see if I can make it work and perhaps get a bit more torque at startup that way. Not that it's really needed as this motor is used in a kids' bike. It is currently using an analogue throttle though and I think this setup would consume all analogue ports on Vesc so I would need to look for a different setup for the throttle.

20240107_125001 (1).jpg20231004_220429.jpg

Back