Helmets Part 1,489,348 - To Wear Or Not To Wear

I was genuinely shocked to see the topic of wearing helmets even up for debate.

I'm no nanny-stater, and I'm perfectly fine with anyone doing whatever ridiculously dangerous thing he or she wants to do, as long as it doesn't break anything or ruin my commute.

You want to fight a shark with your bare hands? You should be allowed to do that. My money's on the shark.

But to try to make a case that every bike rider is safer without a helmet ...

I can actually imagine a bit of dialog in a couple weeks when my bike is ready and I take it over to my buddy's place. His son, my godson, is twelve.

Me: Hey [my friend], do you mind if I let your 12-year old son have a go on my highly experimental, prototype, unlicensed, uninspected motor-vehicle that does 35mph flat-out?

My buddy, actually, would be okay with that, but he would insist my godson wear a helmet. Which is a good thing because I would insist on it too. I would also wear a helmet, as would my buddy.

Maybe we're just stupid.

Remember back when we didn't have any workplace safety laws? Workers were so much tougher then ...

Despite all of this, I fully expect another one of these exchanges to take place.

Helmet saved my life as well in my last crash, split the bugger in half. I need my brains for my job :)

Personally, I just know I'll crash from time to time. Last time I used up a helmet, it was 5 years ago when I fumbled my bottle into the forks. No concussion, but the helmet was ruined. Most crashes are more like a lay down or a high side dirt riding that I'm ready for. More likely to damage an elbow than the head.

I have no illusions that a tiny scrap of foam will help much if I tangle with a car. So I just don't let that happen. No car passes me I didn't eyeball.

If you just know you will crash, like you are racing or riding like you are on a race track, It's one hell of a lot more comfy to be wearing everything when you go down. Leathers or similar motorcycle pants and coat, gloves, dot full face helmet.

I used to ride a motorcycle in shorts and flip flops, no helmet. See if you can guess what taught me to stop doing that.

Based on personal motorcycle/eBike experience Helmets do work. What else works for us mortals? Gloves, heavy shoes, sturdy jacket, plus good dose of defensive driving/riding study/practice.

I've been wearing a typical vented cycling helmet all summer and now that the colder weather is starting, I realized that those vents are the furthest thing from warm. I tried a fleece/neoprene hat under the helmet but those air vents still funnel too much cold air onto my head. My solution, a warm and cozy snow sports helmet with ear flaps and no vents. Protection probably equal to a cycling helmet since similar speeds are achieved. I even found one that matches my bike:

Attachments

• Helmet.JPG
    Helmet.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,823
A helmet gives me a place to mount my camera. It hurts to stick it directly on the hair.

Rode with my snowboarding helmet for the first time this morning. The pre dawn dog running bike ride just got chilly.

If I ride in a big snowstorm, out comes the full face motorcycle helmet with windshield, no matter how weird it looks. Love snow rides, when I get one.

I like that look spisska. Though not as O-ficial, you might settle for a pair of over-the-glasses goggles like ones I have seen on EBAY. Also noteworthy, you may want to get an oversized helmet to fit over the liner.

The helmet haters will argue that studies looking at bicyclists show that helmet use has no correlation to a decreased risk of death or serious injury. Problem is these studies use population groups of non-ebike cyclists and we are talking about 20 MPH+ motorized bicycles on this forum. Also, none of this changes the simple fact that helmet's protect heads regardless of context. Anytime anyone rides their bike, they must assume they could go down or be involved in a collision at anytime, so why not wear a helmet?

You should always get a new helmet after any substantial impact. Most (99%) of bike helmets and ski helmets are only dot/snell rated for a single-impact. The foam compresses, deforms, and will not work as well for another impact. If its cracked its definitely not worth trusting again.

That being said, I'm a cheap bastard. I had my old ski helmet foam glued together with tooth picks. Its was still better than no helmet :idea:

Yep, replace it for sure. My first old motorcycle helmets could take repeated abuse, but they make them different now. One "use" uses them up.

I question that your repaired one is better than nada. It is nada IMO. I ride with some helmets the decorations have fallen off of, but not a helmet with damaged foam.

Re roadwrinkle's comment. Last helmet I used up, my head struck the corner of the curb at 15 mph. I know for sure it was much more comfortable crushing that helmet than it would have been bare headed. Life saving? , definitely debatable.

More comfortable in that crash? Hell yeah!!! I still broke both collarbones and wrecked my rotator cuffs, but no headache. I really don't give a damn about studies. I just know I crash from time to time. I was really happy to be wearing a (motorcycle) helmet the time I did a headstand at 50 mph. Came up from that one laughing, but you could have planted a 50 foot row of corn in the furrow my head made in the dirt road. Over the bars at 50 mph coulda smarted a lot more.

A friend of mine went over the bars of his road bicycle descending a hill at about 40 mph. Wearing a typical bike helmet, crushed his skull and died on the spot. So no, I have no illusions that a hat makes me superman.

A friend of mine went over the bars of his road bicycle descending a hill at about 40 mph. Wearing a typical bike helmet, crushed his skull and died on the spot. So no, I have no illusions that a hat makes me superman.

Wow. I was riding my ATV at an area on Maui where people do downhilling a few weeks back and saw a teenager have his lower jaw separated from his skull going over the bars. He survived, but what an injury. He was the only person there without a fullface (or any kind) of helmet. Perhaps the reason why I am on this helmet/safety kick lately. I have to admit that when I am reaching for my water bottle, I have thought about your incident a few times after reading about it on electricbikes.com

RoadWrinkle said:
saw a teenager have his lower jaw separated from his skull going over the bars. He survived, but what an injury.

How on earth did that happen? That makes me think about going full face for road commuting. I probably only go 35 km/hour - even on a hill, but I like my head non-crushed. When I was a kid I was riding down a big hill on the way to the swimming pool. I have no idea how fast I was going but it was an old 5 or 10 speed with drop down bars. I had my swim trunks rolled up in a towel in my hand by the drop down, and it got sucked into the front wheel causing instant lock up. I think the bike did 2-3 flips and I went flying off to the side rolling and road rashing. It a miracle I survived. I don't think I hit my head on the ground. It was back in the 70's before anyone wore helmets.

Some motor bike helmets are rated for multiple impacts if they do not crack. I don't know which ones off hand. Its been a while since I looked into it. Or maybe it was ski helmets. I don't know if any cycling helmets are made for multiple impacts. I doubt it but I think I'll check.

Protection depends on how you are riding. My first layer now is I don't get a drink while moving anymore.

I ride dirt less than 25 mph, and still ride in shorts, tee, sneaks, gloves and a bike helmet. I crash, but crash well when I have a half second of warning it's coming. Usually you feel a crash coming with even more notice. You can tell when you are riding, or going for the ride.

Before I disassembled it, my 47mph ebike was ridden with DOT helmet, motorcycle gloves, armored motorcycle coat, and padded bmx pants. But I've ridden motorcycles with less on. Trust the tires more, and not riding practicing for a race. Helmet and gloves, sturdy shoes always on a motorcycle.

Commuting up to 30 mph, I just wore shorts, sneaks, bike helmet and gloves in summer, and long pants, boots, snowboard helmet and gloves in winter. Blind, I always have eye protection if not in bed. Couldn't find the bedroom door without the spectacles.

Guy that died had a front tire blowout, riding a road bike. Possible that it was road debris but never proven. He was very fit, but not young and bouncy anymore. He was nearly 70. But young or old, the helmet was not up to that kind of impact.

Actually a bit rare to crash quite like that at speed. More likely to slide and skip in a laydown or an over the bars than come to that kind of dead stop. My water bottle crash was worse since I was going slow! Over the bars, and straight down at the curb.

When I did that headstand at 50 mph, as soon as some friction developed I started doing the cartwheels and dissipating energy. I don't think that crash would have popped my skull. But it would have hurt being scalped. For those curious, that crash happened when a big rain created a huge hole overnight in a dirt road I was used to riding fast. Motorcycle went into the hole and I kept on going.

I was out for a gentle ride along a local bike path doing less than 15mph when I was struck in the eye by a large blue bottle fly - very painful!

I am now in the market for a new cycle helmet with some kind of visor.

I can't seem to find anything suitable. Full face mtb helmets seem to be over kill for me and I would prefer my ears to be exposed to listen out for traffic and enjoy the sounds of the wildlife as I ride.

A visor on a helmet should help with watering eyes when descending in cold weather?

I have bought a couple of cycling helmets, but I'm not convinced about that perched on top of the skull fitting, and don't like the look of them at all. I never wear either of them, but I know I really should wear a helmet. My bike is more utilitarian looking than racing bike so they even seem out of place.
I think something with chin protection would be best, (not overly motorbike like). I quite like the look of the Met Parachute, not the price of it though. After my fall on ice last year and mega-bruise I think this has been a timely reminder- I'll start looking at what's available just now. That 'Lucky Bums' looks not too bad, I think I'd wear something like that if they've reached us here in the UK.

Lots of very nice eye protection out there, and not expensive in the safety glasses section of the home improvement stores. Best I have was pricy though, some Everest grade mountaineering sunglasses. Perfect for long rides in blinding desert sun.

Tons of stuff has hit my prescription glasses, particularly pebbles thrown from passing cars. Over the glasses safety glasses are available if you would like to keep rocks from damaging expensive spectacles. I wear these when too much pollen is itching and tearing my eyes up too much. The lab glasses have side shields that keep the pollen from ramming into my eyeballs as I ride.

Also an option when it's very cold, is ski goggles. But if it's too cold for just sunglasses, I just go for the full face motorcycle hat with shield and could care less how weird it looks.

My dad gave me my first helmet when I was 25, because his friend fell off a bicycle and became a vegetable after hitting his head. If you don't want or have to wear one that is and should be your choice. Glasses or goggles help me a lot also, as well as heavier gloves and shoes. I don't care to be fashionable, but I have enough pain already from more things than I care to count. Sufficient unto the day is the evil (or in my case, pain) thereof. :roll:

About ten years ago, a guy I work with left his house and took his new bike for a spin around the block. He hit a parked car in front of a nearby trauma center and broke his neck. He was not wearing a helmet, which wouldn't have saved his neck anyway. Go figure. :|

Road safety should not be based on half facts
BY CIAN GINTY · DECEMBER 5, 2013

A cycling crossing of Luas tracks: Can you see the tram traveling at speed?
“Supporters of helmets often tell vivid stories about someone they knew, or heard of, who was apparently saved from severe head injury by a helmet. Risks and benefits may be exaggerated or discounted depending on the emotional response to the idea of a helmet. For others, this is an explicitly political matter, where an emphasis on helmets reflects a seductively individualistic approach to risk management (or even ‘victim blaming’) while the real gains lie elsewhere.”

That’s Ben Goldacre, of Bad Science fame, and David Spiegelhalter, Winton professor for the public understanding of risk, writing in the British Medical Journal about the complex issue of mandatory bicycle helmets.

The article was prompted by research into the effect of Canadian helmet legislation which concludes that on hospital admission for cycling head injuries “seems to have been minimal” (free to access also on the British Medical Journal). It’s based on data from 1994 to 2008, and Goldacre and Spiegelhalter point out how the study has “somewhat superior methodology” compared to the research which has been favourable to cycling helmets.

Yesterday the Road Safety Authority issued a press release stating that the National Neurosurgery Centre at Beaumont Hospital had the following number of head trauma transfers, broken down by road user group: Cyclists 13, motor vehicle users 10, pedestrians 7, and motorcyclists 5.

6195910828_a99c85bf16
Can you see the tram yet?
The press release quotes David O’Brien, consultant neurosurgeon and clinical director at Beaumont Hospital’s National Neurosurgery Centre as saying: ”This year, we have treated 36 patients with head trauma as a result of a road traffic collision. The typical profile of our head trauma patients is young adult males. Of those, 13 were cyclists; none of them were wearing helmets. We also saw 10 drivers, 7 pedestrians and 5 motorbike riders.”

So, cyclists are clearly the worst off? And helmets matter? It’s not that straight forward.

In Ireland, the National Report on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Republic of Ireland 2008 (aka Phillips Report) gives an insight into acquired brain injury hospital admissions in the country. The report is based of data from patients presenting to hospitals in cases where the treating physician deemed sufficiently serious to warrant neurosurgical opinion.

The report has a few notable mentions of cyclists, including: ”Severe Traumatic Brain Injury in pedal cyclists is low (13%) despite having less protection than people in vehicles as they are slower and energy transfer is less” and that while they recorded around half of cyclists not wearing helmets, there was “no statistical difference in injury severity was proven” between cyclists wearing and not wearing a helmet.

The data provided shows that moderate traumatic brain injury is also low among cyclists. Cyclists as a group are unique in having the vast bulk of injuries (76%) in the “Mild” category. And, again out those who sustained a brain injury, cyclists by far had the lowest irreversible injury rate and the lowest mortality rate — in both cases, starkly so. For example, the irreversible injury rate was at just 3% compared to 16% pedestrians and the mortality rate was 7% compared to 17% for pedestrians.

6195918268_8f730c509c
If you have started crossing, spotting the tram now might be too late — it’s less than a second away!
Sadly, the Phillips report is tainted in that it makes recommendation which go well beyond the scope of its finding. The report says:

“There is a perception that some patients were the ‘victim of a tragic accident’. However, many neglected to use precautionary behaviour when choosing to use protective devices; their perception of risk and their attitudes towards protective equipment influences the decision making process or changes in circumstance impairs their judgement.”

This is clearly as case of what Goldacre and Spiegelhalter refer to as a “seductively individualistic approach to risk management (or even ‘victim blaming’).”

There are less individualistic approach to risk management such as dealing with the built environment or dealing with the causes of collisions (usually drivers according to most studies we’ve seen), but in Ireland these approaches seem to be not very seductive at all. Expect in our rail safety regime.

The Railway Safety Commission and its independent Accident Investigation Unit look at the causes of collisions and near hits on the Irish rail network. If there’s a physical problem found on and around the railway, it’s fixed. We’ve only ever encountered one time where dangerous cycling infrastructure was fixed within weeks of reporting it — it was at a blind spot at a cycle path crossing over Luas tracks and thus the issue could be reported to the Railway Safety Commission. The blind spot was fixed quickly.

This is in stark contrast to the road system generally, where lamp posts, bins, and posts have remained on cycle paths for years and where the placement of traffic light posts on narrow cycle path is called standard practice by one local authority. Or where 24km of Dublin City main roads are repaved and painted with narrow, sub-standard cycle lanes apparently just because the new guidelines which were already published were not officially signed.

In the Netherlands, local authorities take a Railway Safety Commission type approach to collisions. As the Boston Globe reports: ”In the Netherlands, accidents like these are followed by intense investigations, street redesign, and criminal prosecution on a level wholly different from Boston, where a slew of bike fatalities in recent years have prompted modest on-street changes and police crackdowns on bicyclists running red lights. But there have been few street design overhauls and no criminal convictions of motorists in those fatal accidents.” We’re clearly closer to Boston here.

6195406411_a0d33fd0ec
…Less than a full second later.
The newspaper goes on to say: “The immense dedication of resources reflects a wider attitude in the Netherlands, experts say, that bike accidents are a preventable public danger.”

The Irish Rail Accident Investigation Unit also looks at the causes of incidents and if, for example, human error is at fault from a train driver or train or track maintenance perspective, they’ll focus fixing the source of those issues which cause the incidents. They won’t dismiss these things and then turn around and suggest that passengers wear protective gear. But this is effectively the main focus of road safety — the potential victims should chance their behaviour.

Looking at the wider picture — as Goldacre and Spiegelhalter do — shows how helmets put people off cycling can result in less people cycling; so the injury rate might look better, but less healthily outcomes are shifted elsewhere. Such as to the wider obesity problem which happens on a larger scale. We have also covered the safety in numbers effect in Dublin — where more cyclists equals less deaths and injury.

Road safety needs the full facts in the right context, not stats out of context or half facts which suit the media campaigns of the RSA. Cycling safety needs more than that “seductively individualistic approach”. We need a population health approach, not doctors from one isolated area looking at their issue in isolation regardless of what affects that has elsewhere.

http://irishcycle.com/2013/12/05/road-safety-focus-should-not-be-based-on-half-facts/

And the actually report: http://irishcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/phillips_report-1.pdf

Back