Help identifying this hub motor

Chalo

100 TW
One of my buddies was out riding when he found this abused hub motor wheel lying on the side of the road:

IMG_20211223_143619774.jpg

It says "8FUN", so we know it's Bafang. It's geared.
It's bigger than all of the 250-500W Bafang/Ebikeling/generic geared hubs I've worked with before, so I'm guessing 750W nominal. It had a janky Chinese "Molex" (not Molex) plug on it, but he replaced it with a 9 pin Higo/Julet plug to match the one on the controller I furnished. It's running, but it doesn't register speed or distance correctly.

Whatever identifying decals it might have had in the past have been covered with spray paint, so they're of no help. I would like to figure out what pole count and motor reduction ratio it has, so as to set up the speedo correctly.

Any guesses?

I thought the 8 fun was a 500w rated geared motor, similar to a Mac. Bigger than a Mac?

dogman dan said:
I thought the 8 fun was a 500w rated geared motor, similar to a Mac. Bigger than a Mac?

It's very similar in size to a MAC or BMC, but I don't have either one of those handy for a direct comparison.

I've checked Bafang's OEM page, and I don't see a motor that looks exactly like this one. Seems like all the hub shell castings say "Bafang" and not "8fun" now.

I'm going to start with the assumption that the pole count x gear ratio is the same as the Jump bike geared hubs I've been using, and adjust from there as necessary.

Back