HESC V1 150v 600Amp VESC based motor controller

Yes huge progress has been made since then i am attaching some renders here after assembling in solid works and this has got complete design makeover. A bit delayed but got a lot better.

Attachments

• iso.JPG
    iso.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,768
  • Side view.JPG
    Side view.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,768
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,768
Nice tidy case. Very slick. How big?

And what kind of electrical solution for you go for in the end?

I'm a big fan of PCB mount screw terminals since I used them a while back.

I am also designing a vesc based controller and am wondering if the external 8MHz crystal is needed for the controller to work? I don't require usb and just use a serial cable with the vesc tool or st link for firmware flashing.

i made some changes to layout now the terminals are all in one line and aluminum pcb is used.

Here is how this looks now. fets are yet to be finalized i received the PCBs for it and maybe parts will arrive in a day or two.

hesc.jpg

here is how power stage looks now. its a big boi now. 235x130mm to be exact.

next revision will have desat and miller clamp i am trying out some drivers including TD350E and will finalize on it.

here is how brain board looks now.

hesc_brain.jpg

here is back side on which you can see i used jumper to connect analog and digital ground at power supply side.

hesc_brain back.jpg

still a lot can be improved let me know if you have any suggestions.

Make sure to have a fast acting fuse in series when you first transition from running it from a current limiting DC power supply to a battery. I'm excited to see how your project goes, good luck and don't lose heart if you have a few PCBA's erupt in plasma in the debug process. :bolt: :bigthumb:

That's a lot of FETs and a lot of heat sinking. Your probably going to push a lot of current but... Why D2PAK? They're basically bent over TO220s. I don't think they offer any substantial advantage over TO220 booked to a heatsink, except more mass production friendly. Why not TOLL or PG-TDSON, power-SO8 etc?

Do you realize your decoupling capacitors are a long loop away from the switching? I don't know how inductances work out on IMS boards with the metal blocking the mag field to some extent but my inclination is that this needs looking at.

On semi have a really nice looking all singing all dancing gate driver with desaturation and gate clamping and massive massive drive ability. Take a look. I've found on semiconductor bits are much more robust than the other big manufacturers. I've actually never blown an on semi part but I've toasted bits from TI, ST, Infineon.

Where are the DC Link caps?
Where does the power feed into the controller?
How are you removing heat?

The power feed order should be:
Battery -> DC Link Cap -> DC bus

Hello guys, i am working on boat conversion to electric. HESC looks exactly what i need for ESC, what is current status of this project? I see last commit here https://github.com/hackeybabel/Hesc-v1 9 months ago.
I would like to start testing HESC, thanks

I saw somebody point out https://3shulmotors.com in another thread but couldn't find anything about them until I got back to here, it seems like he's released several different versions of these controllers. I can't exactly say I would be willing to try any yet seeing as I haven't seen a single person try one and the website doesn't even have actual pictures of the production units but interesting I guess.

@scianiac I am not much active here on endless sphere. first pre-production batch have been sent to few OEM's as well as Retail customers. Here are some pictures of pre-production Unitstop.jpegside.jpegcontroller.jpeg

The production units are under production and no Pictures of the units are available at the moment. Maybe 2 more weeks and we will have it all.

preproduction version is tested for more than 60kw and peaks at around 1000amps phase and 600 battery.

JRP3 said:
Nice progress, anyone test a 3Shul controller with a QS motor yet?

I would like to know this as well. I have a 138 90h liquid cooled that would benefit from more power. I would be willing to test it out if I had a sample :)

New batch under production for Hesc v2 126v ,144v and also of hesc mini 126v. The new casings looks super gorgeous.
21599fe0aa0a3718e49900f0701e8216.jpg
e383178576f5aea25a777372adfb627f.jpg

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Any new developments for this controller or where is the best spot to check for product updates etc...?

Probably the website https://3shulmotors.com The Shop section shows them available for sale.
Also facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/people/3Shulmotors_Official/100086125027527/

(*Edit: This is apparently not the official page, use the link above.
They also have a facebook page but I'm not on facebook and can't view it
https://m.facebook.com/people/3Shulmotors_Official/100086125027527/)

Thanks, I am not logged into Facebook and can see the page. Also, it mentions there is a sale on these controllers.

JRP3 said:
I noticed that but if the product fails when used within design parameters I'd say that's a manufacturing defect.

This clause removing warranty is applied to many controllers that run VESC open source software, since the user is granted absolute freedom to set whatever limits and mess it up in whatever way they like. The software is incredibly powerful, and amazing, and gives you absolute freedom to easily burn your controller. It is essentially impossible to grant limitless warranty to VESC based controllers.

Just try to send a Sabvoton or a Votol back to china to get a warranty claim. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shipping back to china often costs more than a new unit and if you get your warranty, who knows.

Just got mine today. It's small!
It's now rated at 120A battery and 300A Phase.
I got the 30S 126V version with Bluetooth.
380€ with import tax and shipping.
I'll be testing it in the coming days/weeks.

Back