HESC V1 150v 600Amp VESC based motor controller

The bus bars still appear to be in the way of the FETs. If you made them wider, they could be thinner (8x2mm copper) and still have less resistance than 6 AWG copper. That way you could place the bus bars under the FETs.

I see significant areas where VDC and GND are next to each other on the same layer - I'd still throw some ceramics in there. 2x100v in series, and as many as will fit in parallel. Cheap and if they aren't needed you can leave some or all of them out in the final version.

Your gate drive traces are still running under a current-carrying trace, but less so. From my experience, inductive turn-on might be an issue. I would use pairs of traces, right on top of one another, running to the gate and source pins. Have the VDD pin of the gate driver connected to the source pin, not directly to ground. Put the capacitor between VDD and GND and place a low-value resistor (2-4 ohm) in between your gate drive supply and VDD. Something like this:View attachment 288105
I'm using twisted pairs for this (total and utter PITA) but you could achieve the same result with traces on adjacent layers.

Other than that it's looking really nice. If you select shorter electrolytic capacitors this controller would be pretty small for the watts it puts out. I'm thinking about putting the FETs horizontally (rather than vertically) on my next design as well. Would save a lot of space.
I know this is old , but I find the figure quiet interesting , the source pin of the mosfets met at 2 point , point 1 switch node where main current is passing and point 2 is at the gate driver leg . doesnot that make a loop / antenna and radiate noise ? doesnot that also welcome the switching node current at least a small part of them to come to your gate driver board ?

I wrote this on my build thread but posting it here too maybe one of you can help me.
Also anybody got firmware for cl700? mine is on firmware 5.03

Today I played with the controller a lot.
I tried sensorless mode and this way I am able to spin the motor to 24000 erpm with no load, but with the bike on the ground it cogs and is not able to move the bike. If I put it in encoder low rpm are fine but as soon as it gets over 5000 to 6000 erpm it cogs. There is a négative current spike that stop the motor then it gets going again. So the encoder is good because it works flawlessly in lower rpm. When the cogs happen the motor is already switched to sensorless( I tried différent settings between 1500 to 4000rpm). I even tried to make it switch a 15000rpm and the cog still happens at around 5000 to 6000rpm

It should work with the newest vesc firmware off the vesc website, but if the controller is one of the earlier versions, I'd doublecheck with Hackey. New firmware might fix the issue on its own

It should work with the newest vesc firmware off the vesc website, but if the controller is one of the earlier versions, I'd doublecheck with Hackey. New firmware might fix the issue on its own
Dont you need a controller specific file too? I dont think Hackey has shared those, so they can be included in the standard vesc package.

Can I use the 26-pin ignition wire as an on-off switch and leave the main leads connected?

did u program the motor with wizard? It didn’t work well for me and was told the wizard is no good for big motors.
I programmed the motor with the wizard and also in the motor categorie but both do the same result. Yes pin 26 in on off swith

Back