its now a e-motorcycle

Nice. Didn't see it listed anywhere, is that about 38MM square tube X about 2.5 mm thick wall ??

sico said:
gwhy! said:
Its one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7870__TGY_AerodriveXp_SK_Series_63_74_170Kv_3250W.html

but it looks like HK will not be selling them anymore :cry:

Leader hobbies sell these and I got one for Christmas.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224161

I think they are a clone of the same motor, but I've never seen the original so can't compare.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Yes I got one those from Leader hobbies , I havent spun it up yet but it looks identical to the hk ones.

Harold in CR said:
Nice. Didn't see it listed anywhere, is that about 38MM square tube X about 2.5 mm thick wall ??

its actually 40mm square x 2.5mm and the smaller stuff is 40mmx20mmx2.5.

gwhy! said:
Me too :lol: Its my first go at welding ( apart from the loads of mistakes I made ), I hope it is solid for what Im going to be doing with it. The frame was built from scratch, the sump guard/bashplate is off of a offroad motorcycle.
That welding is superb. What method/equip are you using cause it looks really good. :D No beginner look, imo. :shock:

How did you do your alignment? Also, for the rear suspension how did you design it? Based on what?

Shoot some vids when you have a chance. 8)

Thanks!

deVries said:
gwhy! said:
Me too :lol: Its my first go at welding ( apart from the loads of mistakes I made ), I hope it is solid for what Im going to be doing with it. The frame was built from scratch, the sump guard/bashplate is off of a offroad motorcycle.
That welding is superb. What method/equip are you using cause it looks really good. :D No beginner look, imo. :shock:

How did you do your alignment? Also, for the rear suspension how did you design it? Based on what?

Shoot some vids when you have a chance. 8)

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words,
The alignment of the main frame was easy, I just clamped the square tube to a flat surface and welded it up, I used a hole saw to cut the the hole in the top tube for the head tube to fit ( the size of the hole saw was just right and left about 1mm each side of the square top tube and the head tube was a nice tight fit into the hole. The welder I have is a very cheap gas-less 90A mig ( around £59 new ). the hardest part was the swing arm but still easy to get straight by clamping to a flat surface. The suspension came out really well and works very well ( it could do with a stiffer ( progressive ) spring ) but it is more than useable . I just modelled it on a normal motorcycle mono shock suspension . I will try and get some vid when the weather get a bit better, because I haven't made no body work for it yet so I dont ride it when its to muddy or to wet :mrgreen: .

gwhy! said:
I used a hole saw to cut the the hole in the top tube for the head tube
wow, great idea.
gwhy! said:
the hardest part was the swing arm but still easy to get straight by clamping to a flat surface.
what's the swingarm made of? how did you make it?
file.php

sa_2.jpg
sa_1.jpg
sa4.jpg

Its made from 40mm x 20mm x2.5mm steel, When I make another ( I have a new wider hub so it will need to be done ) I will do it slightly different to make it easier.

gwhy! said:
Its made from 40mm x 20mm x2.5mm steel
Rectangular_Steel_Tube.jpg

i'm still scratching my head...

so for example on the dropout, you cut out pieces, folded and welded the flap down?

how did you get the bend in the middle of the swingarm? or was that cut and welded there?

cajunjay said:
Awesome build gwhy 8)

Any more pics or videos coming soon.....?

Thanks,
I have been meaning to get some video but I never seem to be prepared enough for when I go out on it . I will try to sort something out and get some vid.

GCinDC said:
gwhy! said:
Its made from 40mm x 20mm x2.5mm steel
Rectangular_Steel_Tube.jpg

i'm still scratching my head...

so for example on the dropout, you cut out pieces, folded and welded the flap down?

Yes.

how did you get the bend in the middle of the swingarm? or was that cut and welded there?

Yes I cut 3 sides of the tube bent and welded it.

WOW! The bikes looking great! you inspired me to build a frame similar to yours and just cover the sides with panels to hide the uglies...

Tha bike is awesome! WE NEED VIDEO!!

Craigh85 said:
Any updates on this one, been dying to see it in action for ages now??

Craig

Sorry Craig, no videos :(
I found that the rear shock is not up to the job to really show what the bike is capable of i.e splats and dropoffs so I didnt feel that it would be worth a video ( I would have to re-make the rear of the bike to accommodate a much better shock ), I have not forgotten about this project and still do ride it occasionally but now I have found the bikes limitations all my attention is now on getting a full size trials bike with proper suspension up and running.

gwhy! said:
all my attention is now on getting a full size trials bike with proper suspension up and running.

I have been dreaming of a full size trials bike myself. Are you planing on a conversion or a all up self-build? Please make a build thread for it!

drewjet said:
gwhy! said:
all my attention is now on getting a full size trials bike with proper suspension up and running.

I have been dreaming of a full size trials bike myself. Are you planing on a conversion or a all up self-build? Please make a build thread for it!

No this will be a conversion from a gas bike. I already have the bike :D
rolling chassis left_small.jpg

Very nice. I would love to see some one remove the crank from the original transmission and fit an astro 3220 or this new 4 inch one that coming soon. What's the plans with this one? I will be watching intently ;)

Craigh85 said:
Very nice. I would love to see some one remove the crank from the original transmission and fit an astro 3220 or this new 4 inch one that coming soon. What's the plans with this one? I will be watching intently ;)

I have had it running before but with a little 3kw turnigy, needless to say it was a bit underpowered :) so now I have a new plan but still running it directly with a different configuration of motor(s). I was also thinking about using the original transmission but this will be a last resort as it will take up a lot of space which means less room for battery's. I will try and post up whats going on with this one in this thread :mrgreen:

Craigh85 said:
What kind of weights in a striped rolling chassi ? It sure looks light.
its around 42kg, when I had it running with the small out runner with 10ah of battery it had a total weight of 51kg but this was a little to heavy for the poor old tiny motor.

So what motor are you planning, how much battery, and what top speed?

What is the typical wet weight of a gas trials bike?

Will you be able to be lighter or about the same with your conversion?

Sorry for all the questions. but I have never done trials before, and it sure looks to be fun, and as long as you are not trying some of the really crazy stunts, it seems relatively safe, as the speed is not real high. There just isn't a lot of info on this forum, and I haven't got the time for other places.

drewjet said:
So what motor are you planning, how much battery, and what top speed?

What is the typical wet weight of a gas trials bike?

Will you be able to be lighter or about the same with your conversion?

Sorry for all the questions. but I have never done trials before, and it sure looks to be fun, and as long as you are not trying some of the really crazy stunts, it seems relatively safe, as the speed is not real high. There just isn't a lot of info on this forum, and I haven't got the time for other places.

A modern ( newer ) gas bike will be a bit lighter than the one I have ( with gas engine) which is around 75kg-80kg ready to ride.
After conversion with around 30/40Ah worth of lipo it will be around 60kg ready to ride. Top speed will be around 22mph ( but I have a few plans to make it 2 speed and try to gear it even slower ) the plan is to use 2 outrunners on a common shaft ( If I can make it fit to save space) Im estimating about 7kw at this speed should be enough to have some serious fun. Its about one of the safest and cheapest forms of motor sport to get into and I love it. Its more of a personal challenge rather than competing directly with others and you only ride what you feel comfortable doing and your skill set. When I had it running before with only 2.5kw @ 22mph it was usable as a beginners bike but You need more power once you start needing to pop the front wheel over stuff.

Thanks for the input, it seemed about what I thought, but far better to get info from someone who knows than me guessing. Do you really think you need 40 AH worth of battery? My uneducated guess would say that due to the low speed and not always being on the power that 15 to 20 would be enough, but again that is why I am asking as my experience level is zero.

I was thinking of an Astro 3220, as I have a spare right now, It is good for 7 to 10KW bursts so with an optical sensor from Burtie, I think would be the ticket.

Again thanks for your insight into this

Back