its now a e-motorcycle

40ah will be over kill to lug around on the bike and I will prob only use 10ah worth on the bike at a time which should be enough. Yes most of the time you will only be pottering around at about 5-10mph but if there is a long hill climb ( at full throttle ) with a couple of stop/starts on the way then this will really bite into the battery also the very short bursts of power needed for popping the front wheel over stuff even you are still only travelling at walking pace, these all add up. My bike in the OP would do approx 10mins of constant demanding trial sections with 10ah or travel about 6-8miles for normal offroad riding ( mx style ) with 10ah so even the trials stuff is very slow, its very intense on the batterys. Putting this into perspective when competing in a trial there are around 40 sections that are marked on and each section will be about 1-2min long everything else will be just riding offroad style.

Hi,

I've just joined endless-sphere and am amazed at some of the builds. I'm very interested in your trials bike build. My beta rev3 is possibly going over to electric, this will be the first time I have done any e-bike/moto build so any advice and tips would be be greatly appreciated.

Stay upright

cyclesguff said:
Hi,

I've just joined endless-sphere and am amazed at some of the builds. I'm very interested in your trials bike build. My beta rev3 is possibly going over to electric, this will be the first time I have done any e-bike/moto build so any advice and tips would be be greatly appreciated.

Stay upright

Hi and welcome to es,
umm rev3 to electric very nice, the rev3 has always been my bike of choice. I have the sherco as it was a very cheap bike to play around with and being a steel frame would be easy to weld lugs and stuff to if needed. The only problem with the rev3 is the petrol tank, being part of the frame it takes up valuable space. I am messing about with a "one mount fits all" universal fitting solution at the moment. Some tips: aim for a total weight of the bike ready to ride at about 60-65kg ( should be easy to do with the rev ) think about what the top speed needs to be ( aim for 25mph for 95% of trials stuff, if you can get it upto around 30 would be better for long climbs ). you need to be looking for a min 3-4kw power for easy route trials and 5-7kw middle route and 7kw+ for hard route stuff ( but this really depends on the weight of the completed bike) . you will get around 8 sections on a middle route and the commutes inbetween ( as long as the commutes are not to far/long ) on about 10Ah ( think about swapable batterys instead of carrying all the batterys on the bike at the same time this saves weight and unnessasary power wastage ) .

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and the universal fit sounds very interesting. I was also thinking about the issues of the petrol tank and aluminium frame. The beta is a good runner and tidy bike, so it might be worth selling it and buying a gas gas, sherco non-runner as the basis for the project. I don't compete in trials, but am lucky enough to have an old quarry close to my house for pottering about. Noise can also be an issue, so a 'quiet' bike seems like the way to go.

I started riding trial style stuff lately, I really like it! My next bike will definitely be geared more towards trial. However keeping pedals on a E-trial sucks :/ I feel like it limits the bike, but loosing pedals means loosing a lot of legitimity to ride on protected trails and do rock climbing on the seafront... Decisions, decisions..

bzhwindtalker said:
I started riding trial style stuff lately, I really like it! My next bike will definitely be geared more towards trial. However keeping pedals on a E-trial sucks :/ I feel like it limits the bike, but loosing pedals means loosing a lot of legitimity to ride on protected trails and do rock climbing on the seafront... Decisions, decisions..

I did start to try and ride cycletrials for a while but I just could not get the whole pedal thing , its another thing that you need to think about when tackling a obstacles ( the pedals need to be in the right plane to clear it ) , its something I have thought long and hard about to have or not to have pedals. I was toying with the idea to have quickly removable pedals just so I can ride to a playgound and remove the pedals once I got there, but now I am going for a full blow trials bike as I have 2 other e-bikes ( with pedals ) that I can just have a play on if I want to, and the full blown trials bike is only weighing around 60kg will will be more than light enough to fit onto a heavy duty cycle carrier for the car to transport it about.

deVries said:
I just wanted to put my 1,000th post "here" in honor of gwhy! :lol:

Any offerings for ES coming anytime soon? :?: This Summer or Fall? 8)

I may have a couple of new things to show you guys :D Soon :wink:

not much to show, but I thought I will post a pic of the bike as it stands at the moment, this is just setup to test the strength of the chains, sprockets and mount. so there is nothing really new here ( at the moment ) but over the next couple of weeks this should change as long as everything holds up to the abuse that it will get in the testing with 3kw. This was the mk2 version, the bearing housings on the jackshaft give up on mk1 after only 500 meters of testing ! at least the mk2 have survived the initial testing of pulling wheelies and bunny hopping :D

left side_1.jpg

Damm this looks so strange! big bike, small motor... is that a 6374?
Just to know, how much does such a rolling frame cost?
I guess it weigths something between 40 and 60kg? it's still not too much considering you have a bombproof frame to bash around at 40kph with really good torque.

I'm waiting for videos ;)

gwhy! said:
This was the mk2 version, the bearing housings on the jackshaft give up on mk1 after only 500 meters of testing ! at least the mk2 have survived the initial testing of pulling wheelies and bunny hopping :D

That bike looks like a monster with no engine. :mrgreen:

Is mk2 a different design than mk1 or just an upgrade to resolve the bearing issues? :?:

Plenty of room for lots more batts. :shock:

Look'n good gwhy! :twisted:

bzhwindtalker said:
Damm this looks so strange! big bike, small motor... is that a 6374?
Just to know, how much does such a rolling frame cost?
I guess it weigths something between 40 and 60kg? it's still not too much considering you have a bombproof frame to bash around at 40kph with really good torque.

I'm waiting for videos ;)

yes a 6374. The bike as it stands weighs 52kg . Rolling chassis are rare but can be bought from anything from £200 up or you can get a running bike for around £600 up ( depending on age and condition ) then sell the engine and exhaust and all the other bits and pieces that you dont need( a good engine would sell for around £200+, and other bits and pieces for another £150. I have plans to be putting around 6-8 kw through it, now this will really bring it to life :D don't get me wrong its fun to ride as it is with just 3kw.

cyclesguff said:
wow, I'm looking forward to seeing more, hopefully soon.

Is the chain from a bicycle?

its a kart chain and sprockets.

deVries said:
gwhy! said:
This was the mk2 version, the bearing housings on the jackshaft give up on mk1 after only 500 meters of testing ! at least the mk2 have survived the initial testing of pulling wheelies and bunny hopping :D

That bike looks like a monster with no engine. :mrgreen:

Is mk2 a different design than mk1 or just an upgrade to resolve the bearing issues? :?:

Plenty of room for lots more batts. :shock:

Look'n good gwhy! :twisted:

just a upgrade for the jackshaft and bearings. loads of room for more battery's :twisted:

This weekend I done some more testing ( well me and my son ) and was just pottering around on halve throttle to see how hot the motor and controller would get, the current limit on the controller was set for around 75A @ 48v. The motor got hot but survived 10mins of continuous riding on halve throttle as in these to small vids. These vids are not very dramatic but as I was out testing the bike I thought I would take a bit of vid. The bike is geared for a top speed of around 22mph and feels very under powered at this power level, I tried the bike geared for 30mph and it would still pull reasonable well but no good for anything off road but would be usable for road use.

[youtube]AYfanT0y5mc[/youtube]
[youtube]hICKgNE8Z8A[/youtube]

bzhwindtalker said:
It does indeed look under-powered... considering it weigths that much. It looks like it needs x3 the power to me!

In the vids is only at about halve throttle so it has a little more grunt than shown but If my calculations are right, 7kw should make it come to life :twisted: , I need to remake the mount for the jackshaft/motor as there is not enough room ( since the bearing mods ) to fit the extra motor :( , In theory I can put upto 14kw of motor/motors into it all in the same space :D so there there will be plenty of options for more power.....

deVries said:
Hey Gwhy! Look'n good.

That two piece mated vertical looking thing is giving me a "hard-on"... :lol:

What is it??? The Big ? :p :twisted:

dude! it's the shock mount. See the threaded bolt just above it, with the shock disconnected?

voicecoils said:
deVries said:
Hey Gwhy! Look'n good.

dude! it's the shock mount. See the threaded bolt just above it, with the shock disconnected?

Its not the shock mount ( the top of the shock is slightly out of shot ) the 2 vertical pieces are the motor mounts, the jackshaft bearings are also not fitted in this pic, so it will become a bit clearer when its all together with the motors fitted.. :D

p.s the threaded bolt just above the mount is a temp thing just to keep the rear brake res in a up right position.

gwhy! said:
voicecoils said:
deVries said:
Hey Gwhy! Look'n good.

Its not the shock mount ( the top of the shock is slightly out of shot ) the 2 vertical pieces are the motor mounts, the jackshaft bearings are also not fitted in this pic, so it will become a bit clearer when its all together with the motors fitted.. :D

I'm glad I asked & waited for the expert reply. In truth, my first thought was Gwhy! is going to climb his mult-motors up that "thing", but then I got sassy about being funny instead. :p

But, three or four motors up that thing would give anyone a hard-on into ebikes, imo. :twisted:

gwhy! said:
voicecoils said:
deVries said:
Hey Gwhy! Look'n good.

p.s the threaded bolt just above the mount is a temp thing just to keep the rear brake res in a up right position.

Ah, got it. My bad.

Back