jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

Nice job on a very technical pack build.

It looks like you did an amazing job on it. That is excellent to see, as a 700V battery requires no less.

Enjoy your racing my friend! That bike should be absurdly fast.

I just hope you don't get any defective cells in there because it will be a pretty big job replacing a bloated cell.
Which is what I just had to do to my No1 pack. The blocks remove like a cassette.
Just 1 cell in block 34 was punctured and bloated causing that block to lose voltage over time and would not sustain any high current loads. I just had to undo the clamp screws and replace the cell. Also because I have 0.8mm air gap between each cell, the bloated cell just consumes the gap and doesn't cause a jam.

Attachments

• CELL 1.jpg
    CELL 1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,301
  • CELL 2.jpg
    CELL 2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,301
Your cassette system is very nice. A screw-termination system would have been good from a maintenance perspective, but the soldered joints conduct much better and generate less heat. I think we'll both have issues with having LiPo cells lying on their sides - they really don't like it. I can technically repair the pack should a cell head south, but you really wouldn't want to if you can help it. I'm working on a battery that accommodates some proper automotive grade cells. I'll eventually have less capacity, but considerably less weight.

When the bike is idle I'll try to lie the pack on it's side to give the bottom cells a rest.

jonescg said:
Yep, 168s 3p. About twice as many volts as I'd like, but that's just how you get the power.

:shock: That's definitely enough to cook ya...

jonescg said:
No track testing today - the weather in Perth right now is atrocious.

Amen to that brother. Saw an elderly bearded chap down the road building a really friggin huge wooden boat...seemed to have a lot of different animals hanging round as well...
Get the feeling the forecasts not looking good for the next 40 days and 40 nights... :lol:

Dark Knight said:
jonescg said:
Yep, 168s 3p. About twice as many volts as I'd like, but that's just how you get the power.
So you cant run 84s 6p and get the same power??

I've been over this a few times, but in short...

The AFM140-4 motor won't put out full power unless it's run at >400 Vrms. This means the inverter's DC Bus needs to be about 640 V. I enquired about the AFM140-3 motor, but was advised by Evo and Rinehart that this motor wouldn't run as nicely. The Rinehart inverters come in two flavours - 360 V or 720 V. Full utilisation of the AFM140-3 would call for 450 V, which was a DC Bus that was too much for the DX and too low for the DZ. I also made my purchase before the Sevcon series were released, which I think go to 400 V DC in operation.

So the best combination was AFM140-4 and a PM150DZ at 620 V nominally.

(Edited fairly important typo)

Its going to be a fascinating race season technologically speaking.
High voltage V low voltage
low amps V high amps
Muscle bike V race bike.
I got 50kg on ya Chris 8)

Sure will be.

What I think is awesome is that in Australia, we still aren't racing production electric motorcycles! After all this time, we still have very limited options for off-the-shelf e-roadracing. Maybe Brett will get a Brammo out on track, but it will be fairly outclassed by most of the other bikes.

I should actually go out and buy some bathroom scales and weigh the machine. Pottz is 70 kg, so that's an improvement on my 85 kg :oops:

You found a way of filling your frame rails with helium yet Dan?

Dark Knight said:
RIPPERTON said:
My rider is 60kg.
You found a way of filling your frame rails with helium yet Dan?
My heavens....you're not putting a jockey on the bike are ya...? :D

I wont be needing Helium I just removed the equivalent of 16 house bricks from the weight of the bike. :idea:

RIPPERTON said:
The Brammo will finish in the championship top 3.
It will finish every race.

That's a bold statement, especially since Brammo thought a gearbox was appropriate on a production electric.

John in CR said:
RIPPERTON said:
The Brammo will finish in the championship top 3.
It will finish every race.

That's a bold statement, especially since Brammo thought a gearbox was appropriate on a production electric.

Only if you want to maximize performance of a low-voltage (<125Vdc) drivetrain. A lightweight gearbox coupled to a lightweight, water-cooled IPM motor IS a very appropriate solution in that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EghIUJUrD7Y

Me too - but the West Australian didn't listen... I asked them to hold off until Tuesday, but they wanted to publish it today. Oh well. Channel 10 came and did a 60 second story on it, but the fairings were off and I wasn't going to reveal them.

However, at the pub, the bike will be in it's full parochial West Australian livery :mrgreen:

It is a sexy looking bike indeed. Solid job fitting everything you did and still have it looking so nice. Kudos.

I will be there on Tuesday with bells on. The Bird is a great little hide out. Great to see Mike supporting you. Cant wait to see it in the flesh complete :D

D

That is a beautiful and beastly powerful superbike my friend! Fantastic job on it! Excited for ride video!

Yup that's some amazing work. Hope you plan to bring that to Canada when you move back here :)

Charging the two half-packs (one at a time... I need a 20 amp socket).

more full charge.jpg

The Cycle Analyst shows 700 V on the screen when the bike is runing, but after a short while it drifts by about 1%. Not bad I guess. Videos will have to wait until Tuesday I'm afraid ;)

Hey everyone,

Just a reminder that we'll be displaying the bike at The Bird, 181 William Street Northbridge tonight from 6 pm. After tonight I'll put a bunch of photos up of the final assembly and stuff, and of course the obligatory first test ride up the street :) We're hoping to hit the drags tomorrow night so we can finally wind the controller up to full power and start to iron out the many bugs we're bound to encounter.

There's a definite front bias to the bike, which we can sort out with some better springs and a re-valve. The only other option is to build a 168s2p battery and ride 2/3rds as far :lol:

jonescg said:
The Cycle Analyst shows 700 V on the screen when the bike is runing, ...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back