Leaf / leafmotor / leafbike high efficiency 1500w motor

neptronix said:
Baron said:
Is 16*4t the fastest wind they offer? does anyone know if they do a faster wind, 3t?

Don't buy a 3t if it exists, unless you have a 16 or 20 inch wheel. It is just going to be way too fast of a winding. You'd need a 24fet to drive it to it's potential ( >100A ) and even 48v would be too high of a voltage for it in a 26" wheel, lol.
Despite all this reading, this 3 month Ebike 'Newbie' is both spinning, a lil confused yet still committed to my 1st 'Build project,' and the leaf motor you all raved about (Yes I want to pedal and @least 7 speed)... I'm not understanding why the 4T is the overall best for a fast winding, IF as posted 3T does exist. Why too fast neptronix? would it's Torque on the flat suffer badly too?
I've a 24s lifepo4 76.8v nominal - 87.6v charged, cell Prismatic 30ah nominal, High drain 3c(90A)-8c(240A) but only a 50a-100a bms on the batt pack ("to match the leaf motors power," says vendor,) being assembled for me, to be mated 2 a custom Lyen edition 18 FET 4110 Mark 11 High endurance controller and obv the 1500w nominal Leaf. I was hoping the 3T winding on this 72v would be ..."Interesting" on a lighter bike but really meant for a heavier Enduro steel frame setup. Would that just not work right? as a newbie I'm still wrapping my head around it all :| any help explaining again is appreciated guys.

You mention a 3T motor using 72V, but you have not mentioned the top speed you hope to achieve, and also the diameter of rear wheel you will be using. This information would be helpful to find the answer you want.

Sorry Leaf guys, without reading the whole tread yet, I would like to send one motor to Justin so we can have it on the sim. I see that this motor does gain popularity so it could be worth having it there.
So where is best to buy this one and what winding is the best(my guess 16x4)? We know that 4T has most copper fill on MXUS, so that version is popular.
If you want to contribute, you are welcome to join me.

Allex said:
Sorry Leaf guys, without reading the whole tread yet, I would like to send one motor to Justin so we can have it on the sim. I see that this motor does gain popularity so it could be worth having it there.<br abp="682">So where is best to buy this one and what winding is the best(my guess 16x4)? We know that 4T has most copper fill on MXUS, so that version is popular.<br abp="683">If you want to contribute, you are welcome to join me.
This is awesome...Yes please Allex, and thanks for arranging this. :) I had been hoping to see the Leaf show up on the simulator at some stage.

If possible, I would suggest 2 Leaf motors might need to go on the sim. The '1000W' 30mm wide stator version and the '1500W' 35mm stator version. Both in 4T.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers

neptronix said:
It might actually produce more torque because of the difference between torque per amps on your slower wind versus this extremely fast winding.

If you're comparing it to a HS4080, that motor does 80kmh on 72v, whereas the 4T leaf should do 95kmh on 72v. That's more than a 10% difference in speed vs. torque difference.

Sounds like it's time for a new battery.. lower volts, higher amps. That battery sag is hurting you too.
WOW! @72v the leaf motor can do 95kph on the 4T winding? I wish I would've read this comment of yours properly before asking you about the 3t winding for more speed :shock: lol ...95kph is quite enough, although i don't recall a vid of yours being THAT fast, (or is Kph confusing this English Mile man? :wink:
Also when ordering from factory, ppl have said they've had temp sensors installed by factory upon request (and I've also read of 7 speed freewheels? is there a compatibility prob that needs the 7speed freewheel from the factory? isn't it heavier to ship then?) SO, is there anything else I should remember to ask for aside from that and the 4t *16 winding? any help from anyone is always appreciated :D

spinningmagnets said:
You mention a 3T motor using 72V, but you have not mentioned the top speed you hope to achieve, and also the diameter of rear wheel you will be using. This information would be helpful to find the answer you want.
It's for a 26" Mtb wheel on front and matching 26" on a 2.5 bike rim rear, that I want to attach a 7speed freewheel and disk brake on. I said 'Interesting' since I didn't know for sure on a 4t*16 winding. Since then I've read a comment by Neptronix, that @72v not sure exactly what amperage? Motor can get you 95kph on the Leaf 1500 (sounds more like its a 2.5 - 3 kw real world rating,) an that would be more than enough!

4T is standard; I emailed them and asked for heavier phase wires, (3mm), and temp sensor installed before I ordered. This will give you a beefier axle, which is good, and proper sized phase wires for the power we run through these on average. Stock wires are 2mm I think. Get the upgrade as there's no extra cost. Not sure if you can get 4mm phase wires as an option, no one has bothered to ask. Stock winding is 4T so maybe specify this if you really want to? I ordered mine with a 5T which gives one strand more of copper fill, and requires less current for the same speed. A 3T would probably require a new shaft to admit larger phase wires or else you'll be melting something if you abuse the motor. 4T's pull 50-60A easy. I think Nep pushed upwards of 80 into his for grins, and that was with 2mm phase wires from the covers on in. Top speed is 35-40 mph on the flat on these before you start overheating them. Smaller wheels are better. :) I'm doing a 26" just because.

Regarding the cassette hub option: Yes you can buy one. No you should not. 10mm shaft on one side is the reason why. My modified design if successful, will bump that up to 15mm, but requires turning or grinding a new shaft. I had to bore out the cassette body to 1.9mm wall thickness. This could cause the cassette unit to break, and possibly stop freewheeling at speed and start driving my pedals. Either way, I have a backup if that's the case and I don't lose my legs when it fails. It will be harder to build, but far more robust.

That reminds me... I need to order some lathe dogs tonight so I can start working on it in a week or two.

So I just ordered and received my leafbike leafmotor 1500w and it's 2mm phase wire... I messaged them and they replued that "with the cassette there is no room for 3mm phase wire" D= what?? :x

Now I don't know if they are just bullshuting me or what, but if anyone has the cassette with 3mm phase wire can you take some pictures with like calipers measuring it so I can compare and show leafbike?

Also, the motor I have is 5t winding so I'll let you guys know its performance once I get this stuff sorted out and installed =)

Was this the 1000W or 1500W motor? I had them send me a one-off shaft and side covers for a cassette supposedly bored for use with 3mm phase wires, along with a spare wire bundle, all for the 1500W model. ...I should measure those as I never unwrapped them.... I'll follow up in the morning and post back here with measurements and whether or not the phase wire bundle even fits in the shaft.

Phase wire bundle for 3mm^2 phase wires: they crimped then soldered copper ring connectors to this one. Faaaancy.
i-CJGCmqH-L.jpg

Slightly too small to fit the bolts for my Sabvoton, but with a dulled drill bit they should (safely) drill out the fraction of a mm to pass the threads. (Brass and ESPECIALLY copper are very "grabby" when you drill them. Dull the cutting edge at the tip with a couple swipes of a sharpening stone or hone on a spare drill bit to keep them from jamming in the material when you drill. Only takes like 3 swipes; you want to give the cutting edge a neutral rake. Google brass or copper drilling for more info).

Sheath diameter varies a bit but looks like 8mm outer at the thickest sections.
i-J6FQt3D-L.jpg

Tried fitting my 8mm drill bit through the cable hole, and it wouldn't fit. 7.5mm bit does.
i-mkmfngR-L.jpg

Measured it, and hole varies between 7.90mm and 8.03mm, which would explain it.
This looks like it'll be fun fishing the phase wire bundle through... :?

Remember, this is for the 35mm version of the motor. (1500W model) with the cassette option, designed for 3mm phase wires.

I'll probably ream out the hole to 8mm and shove some drill rod in there to measure hole angles when I do my custom shaft.

Cowardlyduck said:
Allex said:
Sorry Leaf guys, without reading the whole tread yet, I would like to send one motor to Justin so we can have it on the sim. I see that this motor does gain popularity so it could be worth having it there.<br abp="682">So where is best to buy this one and what winding is the best(my guess 16x4)? We know that 4T has most copper fill on MXUS, so that version is popular.<br abp="683">If you want to contribute, you are welcome to join me.
This is awesome...Yes please Allex, and thanks for arranging this. :) I had been hoping to see the Leaf show up on the simulator at some stage.

If possible, I would suggest 2 Leaf motors might need to go on the sim. The '1000W' 30mm wide stator version and the '1500W' 35mm stator version. Both in 4T.

Hope that helps. :)

Cheers

Right now I am considering sending 30mm version in. This is so we can directly compare it to 9C and Crystalyte 30mm motors.
If somebody want to help out getting 35mm up as well, you could make a direct donation to the project by sending PayPal to my email address stokgolm @ gmail.com

When you order email first and ask for 3mm phase wires and temp sensor.

Allex said:
Right now I am considering sending 30mm version in. This is so we can directly compare it to 9C and Crystalyte 30mm motors.
Thanks Allex.
It seems to me like the 35mm version is more popular here...including myself, and the 35mm version would be a good direct comparison to the Crystalyte HS35xx motors, so if I had to chose my preference would be for the 35mm 1500W version if possible, but I would be happy either way for these motors to be tested. :)

Cheers

Allex said:
If somebody want to help out getting 35mm up as well, you could make a direct donation to the project by sending PayPal to my email address stokgolm @ gmail.com

i also would say the 30mm by all means, but i would support both :)

Donated $40 to the cause for testing both motors. Hopefully I'm not the only one. :)

If you guys wanna get the 1500W 4T or 5T model simulated by ebikes.ca and are looking for donations, hit me up via PM.

Do we want a 4T to represent a "stock" model? Or go with 5T and get the extra strand of copper fill?

I installed one of these 1500W leaf bike motors on a NYX frame with an Adaptto controller as an ebike build for my wife. I seem to be unable to notice a difference in acceleration between the normal and boost settings (boost is ~100A phase higher), so it seems to be into saturation already.

When I get a few free minutes, I'm going to dyno the vehicle slowly moving up phase current settings in 25A increments until the corresponding increase in torque becomes non-linear, then I will share that data with you guys.

ATB,
-Luke

speedmd said:
Luke, you have a 15,000 W Leaf? :shock: Just a sticky key most likely. Interested in the dyno data for certain.

lol! Thanks for spotting my typo, edited. :)

liveforphysics said:
I installed one of these 1500W leaf bike motors on a NYX frame with an Adaptto controller as an ebike build for my wife. I seem to be unable to notice a difference in acceleration between the normal and boost settings (boost is ~100A phase higher), so it seems to be into saturation already.

When I get a few free minutes, I'm going to dyno the vehicle slowly moving up phase current settings in 25A increments until the corresponding increase in torque becomes non-linear, then I will share that data with you guys.

ATB,
-Luke

Luke, I'm very interested in your data - I'm awful close to pulling the trigger to order one in a 26" wheel. How was your purchase experience?

I'd guess that the saturation point for the 4T would be around 100A or so.. look forward to real testing though :)

Luke, 2mm or 3mm phase wires BTW?

Back