Leaf / leafmotor / leafbike high efficiency 1500w motor

neptronix said:
If you order the default winding, the 4T..
For a 26" wheel, you will want a controller and battery capable of pushing 60 amps continuous during acceleration or hill climbing in order to hit the top speed of the motor and have decent torque.

60A x 48V = 2880W peak.

Your continuous wattage at 100% speed will be about 2000W, or approx. 41A continuous.
You'll want nothing smaller than a 12FET 4011, or preferably 3077 FET controller in order to do this. I run an 18FET 4011 controller myself with this winding, because i wanted large amounts of thermal overhead, as i run about 90-100 amps. Even the 12FET 3077 ( lowest resistance FET type is the 3077 ) would get hot on 80A.

For this winding, i would use either a RC Lipo type pack above 20AH or A123 pack around 20AH as well in order to deliver the needed current. 20C Lipo would work.

If you want something other than the two above chemistries, you're going to need 40-60AH worth most likely, if you're dealing with a 2C-5C chemistry. 1C is out of the question unless you can figure out how to jam 50-60AH into the triangle.

The 4T is an amp guzzler, not a volt guzzler..

Hi neptronix, I was looking into purchasing a leafbike motor and while researching on the reliability of leafmotor brought me to your valuable post and testing of leafmotors. If you are still active on the forum I would like to seek your opinion on my build. I am doing up a motorised kick bike and will be using the new 16inch leaf bike motor, which peter mentioned to me in an email that default winding 4t default rpm is at 731.

I will be using the new LG MJ1 pack at 28AH coupled with 18fets controller pumping 60amp throughout.

My kick bike runs 20" front 16" rear, and motor is going to be in the rear. The new/updated 16" 1000w.

You think the default rpm be capable of doing 40mph with a 180pounds weight?

crossbreak said:
@ reibenreve
which battery voltage do you use?

@ madin
yep they do the 2T wind. But i wont get another one of these nice frames. Was an individual piece. He stopped replying after i did not want to buy one of his hubbie frames

ah silly me, I missed out that part. I'll be running 48v setup.

the HS3548 is similar to a 4T leaf. so you are looking at 28mph, 16" tire is too small for a 4T.
file.php

Attachments

• !2015-11-29 19_34_09-Motor Simulator - Tools - Iron.png
    !2015-11-29 19_34_09-Motor Simulator - Tools - Iron.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,969
ups, i didn't read that u wanna go for the 30mm stator. This one must be a bit higher kV, which should result in a ~10% faster top speed. Still i think the 3T fits your small rim much better than a 4T. 40mph on a kick bike are a little insane if you ask me :shock:

Just a heads up about the ebikes simulator to anyone who might not know.

I recently learned, that instead of using the cursor to move the dotted speed line to a speed you will be riding which is what I was doing, you really use the throttle, this drastically changes the efficiency.

crossbreak said:
This is what a 3T would look like at 48V / 60A. You'll gain a little more range with the actual leaf, as it is ~90% efficient at that load/rpm, not only 85% as the HS3548

Thank you crossbreak for chipping in, how were you able to get that data on this particular simulation? I am not very familiar with the ebikes simulator yet. What system did you choose?

I actually emailed Peter (leafbike) on the same day I posted in this thread, this is his reply.

3T winding , about 850RPM.we can make. But it’s too fast,may not good for cable,motor,hall.. We never test this 3T before.We don’t recommend 3T.

Now I wonder.. :shock:

Thank you crossbreak for chipping in, how were you able to get that data on this particular simulation? I am not very familiar with the ebikes simulator yet. What system did you choose?
Extrapolated. Insert 3T/4T times the current limit (45A) and 4T/3T times the battery voltage (64V)

reibenreve said:
I actually emailed Peter (leafbike) on the same day I posted in this thread, this is his reply.
3T winding , about 850RPM.we can make. But it’s too fast,may not good for cable,motor,hall.. We never test this 3T before.We don’t recommend 3T.

sure it's a too fast winding for a mountain bike with 26". But u dont have a

crossbreak said:
Extrapolated. Insert 3T/4T times the current limit (45A) and 4T/3T times the battery voltage (64V)

reibenreve said:

sure it's a too fast winding for a mountain bike with 26". But u dont have a

But strangely, he knows that I am pointing to the 16 inch though based on the email conversation we had since I asked about phase wires and windings. I'll check back with him again.

Hi Reibenreve, I have some 600 rpm mxus 28mm motors in the for sale section, which will be a lot cheaper and have a v2 core with temp sensor, I'll send you a pm.

reibenreve said:
But strangely, he knows that I am pointing to the 16 inch though based on the email conversation we had since I asked about phase wires and windings. I'll check back with him again.
I understand that. Not many people out there who built a vehicle with such tiny tires that shall go 40mph :twisted:

can't find that exact link to that 16" motor. can you plz post it

crossbreak said:
reibenreve said:
I understand that. Not many people out there who built a vehicle with such tiny tires that shall go 40mph :twisted:

http://leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/bldc-12-14-16-18-inch-electric-motor/updated-16-inch-48v-1000w-front-brushless-hub-motor-wheel-electric-bike-motor-983.html

This is the link.

Does anyone know the exact number of poles (or is it pairs that are required?) the 1500w leaf has? I need it to setup the speed info on my CA v3, at the default 23 the speedo is wrong... I currently have my controller locked on (I blv) 40a nom 80a pulse trial setting, until I get my lyen USB >TTL cable fixed for my controller BUT the bike seems stuck at about 22mph top speed and I'm unsure why, surely it should be over 30? do I have to majorly setup my CA?

What do you guys think is a good match, for a DIY mid-motor setup. The Leaf 1500W or the Leaf 1000W. I want it to be a hill and stair climbing beast. I am roughly 300lbs.
I can go 24T, 30T, 36T, 40T, 48T and maybe a 50+T, with all 3 of my 44/32/22 cranks still in place.
Motor placed either inside the frame, or "IF" there is room between the front wheel and BB.

crossbreak said:
reibenreve said:

An update from leafbike,

"We made 6 pcs 16 inch 48V 1000W front 3T before.And ship to Turkey.
3T may reach max about 50kmh on flat road.But not sure.We not recommend this 3T
Also,if make 3T,we may use thick phase wire(3mm phase wire),it takes about 7-10 days to customize shaft.
Now our 4T use 2mm phase wire and use standard shaft. If not load on this 16 inch 4T,max speed is about 46kmh.
If 3T,max speed will over 50kmh No load it.
Best Regards
Peter"

Looks like he's very convinced that 3T vs 4T difference is minute.

1 more lb for a 50% higher power rating.. there's little point to buying the 1000w :)

neptronix said:
1 more lb for a 50% higher power rating.. there's little point to buying the 1000w :)

it is almost 2lb or excatly 0,8kg ;) :p
15% less stator width vs 11% lower weight so yes the 35mm Leaf will have higher power per weight, but rather 20-25% instead of 50%.
don't think much of the manufactuer rating..

If I get Leafbike motor, choose a voltage and wheel diameter, then...a 5T would run at 30-MPH at WOT, and a 4T would run 30-MPH at 80% throttle, what would the consequences be (other than the 4T having higher speed available). Would the thicker wire of the lower turn-count run cooler? Would PWM of partial throttle make the controller run hotter?

Back