LEE Iaccoca 36 Volt 500 Watt needs Controller? Help a girl o

Hello all,
Thank you again for all your interest, time and posts.
Bike is moving, I think at correct speed, all I have to compare it to is a little jap scooter I have, EVG goes much faster (duman- the throttle is new replaced when trying to diagnose this gear problem) but I'm getting a high pitched sound from rear. This may be my brakes as there way out of whack rear not releasing, I keep trying to adjust them but I suck at it, also I messed up the NEW Derailleur getting the rear wheel off and I really suck at adjusting them so I need to get it to a bike shop to do that part.

But before I do any adjusting I am going to take the motor back off and look inside, it did seem to slip a bit, might have just been the roll pin flatting out but I would like to look. Yes I would feel more comfortable if there were 3 Pins but since BOB the Mechanic wont take any money from me I hate to ask him. He said he did not feel comfortable tack welding it because there is a rubber ring in there and he is worried about the heat.I'll know more when I get the motor back off. Icewrench - I think that gear only spun one way after he pinned it, but I will check when I get it off.

I also busted the Control piece that runs the light,horn,criuse,econamey mode, now my light does not work, but I think snellemin has one he said he would sell me. I should have hung it from my garage ceiling like I usually do to work on it.

I also changed the seat post to make it lower, my feet were over a foot off the ground when I stop :lol:

Bad news for me is I brought the battery pack inside last night to charge it and put the Thermal Switch back in it, ( I took it out because I need to get a new one, kind of crustie) I was moving the battery pack from one table to another and pulled my elbow out,heavy SOB, so I'm working one armed today and it is already 89 degrees here in Cinci at 8:00 in the morn.

Great that you had a ride on the bike.
Heinzmann motors are somewhat noisey with the metal gears they use.
When I ride mine sometimes people out walking will turn around to see what that noise is.

To me it looks like that pin is between the hub and the inner race of the one way clutch.

Edit : So the one way clutch did not fail.
This would be another example of where a press fit is a fail.
Good to know.

Thanks Ice, I thought maybe its just the brushed motor, i tried watching tons of you tube videos to hear what a brushed motor sounds like on a ebike but everyone kept playing music in the back ground :x BUT mine does have like a squeeling sound kinda hard to explain, but when I get it back together and brakes adjusted you could let me know if it sounds like yours.

Great that you had a ride on the bike.
Yea was kinda scary had not lowered the seat yet I was way up there! Just a tad bit different than my Jap Scooter :lol:

To me it looks like that pin is between the hub and the inner race of the one way clutch.
But hey if it works that`s great.

Would you have put it somewhere else? I did not understand were gmouchawar welded his.

Bob the mechanic had the advantage of a hands on diagnosis.
The rest of us are just part of the internet peanut gallery.

Where Bob placed the pin would prevent the one way clutch from slipping on it`s mount.
A failure similar to the small gear being loose on it`s shaft.

I was thinking that the one way clutch had an internal fail.

Hey some great advice coming out of this peanut gallery.
AND BOB the mechanic.

someone wrote somewhere sorry can"t find it that the battery chargers on these could over charge the battery. Good to know....

The weld was exactly where the role pin was inserted, except I had the welder do 3 spots 120 degrees apart.
The failure mode is a slipping spindle, just like all the other failed hubs that I have seen.
The role pin is a great idea. You will probably fatigue it eventually as it acts as a spring moving a little every time it is stressed.
I wouldn't worry about if for now. Get the rest of the bike going. When it does you can either add more or use a solid stock cylinder instead.
Here is a picture of my 24V EVG.
1999EVGEbike.jpg

Pretty bike gmouchawar Love the color and your battery pack, mine is sun faded.
Sorry 999 I'm working one armed but I did get the motor back off bike,the roll pin is still perfect in there.
If I can find some help I'll get her back together today. 104 degree heat today would be nice to have some wind in my hair. :)

Hello Everyone,
I got to ride the bike for about a week. Lots of fun but I'm already wanting a faster one. :wink: Great bike trail by me goes for miles, not allowed to ride anything with a motor on it but I have not got caught yet. BAD NEWS the roll pin popped motor back to spinning, so I will not go that route again - weld instead!

Hea Girl thanks for the update and was wondering how it going with that fix. Those bikes have there quirks but look nice. I think if you got the bug you can upgrade the hub to something that is not a project. As there is always some advice here. Maybe there is somebody here on the forum that lives close that could let you try a 48v build and we will have you hooked.

Hi 999,
Already hooked and already want something faster but my bank account says I'll stay with this speed for now. 48 Volt would get me kicked off the bike trail :D I just ordered an extra charger/battery box off feebay can use next year possibly get a different type of battery instead of the SLA.

Here is pic of motor after tack weld. Little over kill on the weld, I asked for 3 small tacks, but hey when you can't do something yourself :roll:
( after this picture) I took my Dremal and ground the tacks down to make them more flat, did a good clean inside.
I put way to much bearing grease in but hope it will spin out.
Ive got a big old Lincoln took out the spare tire so I could fit the bike in the trunk, take it to the park this weekend.
IMG_2862.jpg

Looks like a tattoed love boy now and strong. If you want go shealth keep and eye out for a old comoly moutain bike with good compontes steel. As is easier to work on a project bike if one is running. That mini motorcycle look would get kick off the beach so I dress mine up for the homeless style. What kind of batteries are you running ? Oh lead.

Do you have a picture of your bike would like to see it. Or direct me to it on the Photo & video site.

I just got an Odometer / Speed / Distance Enduro8 for my birthday but haven't got it put on yet. Can't wait to see how fast it is actually going. I don't feel like I am going that fast but I'm sure faster than I think. Not sure how far she goes yet on the SLAs but Ill let you know.

I wanted to ask you guys- since I have the almost new SLAs when I receive the extra battery box, can I put a different kind of batteries in the extra box next year and swap them out when one goes low? or would I have to change the controller or anything since it was made for SLAs. Would like to have the SLA Box on back rack as spare.
I realize there is an entire section on batteries with debates on what people prefer, I can ask this question next spring if you don't want to get into it. I wont be able to afford a LIfepod but maybe something lighter than SLAs

The trick with your lead bellies is they always like to be charged did I say always a high state of charge for longest life even in winter.

Back