Looking for 2nd Charger for A123 pack

johnxsi

1 mW
I'm looking for a secondary charger for overnight charging on my 48v(/52V) 13.5A A123 pack (my main charger will stay at work).

What do you all recommend are for a cheap low amp charger. Ping? Hobby king?

Thanks!

Cheapest one on ebay, for the criteria you stated. But my experience with that sort of cheapie 2 amp charger was that several lasted just a month or two at most, before finally getting the lucky one that lasted. You shouldn't have to pay much over $30 for cheap plastic 2 amp units.

On the other hand, the two 5 amp ping chargers have been flawless for years. Might be worth springing for the better 5amp from ping, or similar king pan 5 amp charger wherever you can find it cheapest.

what does the /52V mean?

if you have 16S of the A123 lifepo4 then they charge up to 58.4V when full so your charger has to put out more than that. ping adjusts the chargers to 60V on his black plastic 5A chargers.

the kingpan chargers can be adjusted too.

Love that 2a ping 61.2v is that high for a A123 ?. Can't easy or be adj. It's 3yr. old. And has been thrown around a little. The 5a ping was set at 59v. it can be easy adj.don't know how low or high, mine up to 74.1v. Works great. What's you end voltage ? Is for travel and home ?

I've heard my pack referred to as 48v, 52v (on Cellman's site) and now 58v. So I have been a bit fuzzy on what charger I'm actually looking for. Good to know I need something that can hit 60v.

I want to have a charger at work and home, so was figuring a second 2A charger for overnight charging would be cheaper. But if it's only the difference of $20 it or so it sounds like a decent quality 5A Ping is the way to go.

Thanks all!

Might be more than another $20, between a cheap generic 2 amp, and a, from ping, 5 amp kingpan charger. The kingpan metal case 5 amp chargers can be adjusted, so set it for exactly the same voltage your current charger put out.

Bms battery sells a charger similar, and they will set it to the voltage you choose.

Back