Motor cuts out on full throttle

daveswin

1 µW
Hi everyone does anyone have the same problem as me .I had a 150amp sabvaton controller that went faulty so changed it to a 200amp sabvaton. Now when I give the bike full throttle it cuts out until I release the throttle? And it never did this before .the bike has a 5000watt qs motor 72v 40amph battery and a 150amp bms ? Any ideas why ?

My bike does that when the battery is getting kind of low. I hit full throttle, and the voltage sags down to the LVC, and cuts power. When I let go of the throttle power comes back.

A 150A BMS should shutdown power to the system when this is exceeded, if it is properly designed and functioning, and monitors current.

So using a controller that can draw 200A (which is quite a bit more than 150A) will then cause it to shutdown the bike whenever it exceeds the BMS's limit.

To fix the problem, you can use the Sabvoton setup software and change it's battery current limit down to what the BMS is designed to handle.

Alternately you can replace your battery with one capable of what the new controller requires. (just changing the BMS to one that allows higher current is not recommended, since it should already be one of the right limits to protect the cells against damage that can cause a fire).

Or just don't use the throttle beyond the point it cuts out, if you don't want to change or replace anything.

Just reduce it to 150A and see if it happens again. So you can still youse the bigger phase amps for more tourque.

A 150A BMS should shutdown power to the system when this is exceeded, if it is properly designed and functioning, and monitors current.

So using a controller that can draw 200A (which is quite a bit more than 150A) will then cause it to shutdown the bike whenever it exceeds the BMS's limit.

To fix the problem, you can use the Sabvoton setup software and change it's battery current limit down to what the BMS is designed to handle.

Alternately you can replace your battery with one capable of what the new controller requires. (just changing the BMS to one that allows higher current is not recommended, since it should already be one of the right limits to protect the cells against damage that can cause a fire).

Or just don't use the throttle beyond the point it cuts out, if you don't want to change or replace anything.
Thanks will try that👍

Your battery can not handle the demand. Program the controller to lower amps or get a bigger battery.

Im having a similar problem with my build. I just installed a sabvoton and I hit about 30 mph, the display says error 30h and then everything shuts off and I have to restart the battery to get it to work again. I can run it around at 25 no problem, but as soon as I get any thing past that is has the same problem and cuts out. What could be the issue?

It’s the same problem. Your battery can’t handle the current draw that the new sabtavon is set to, so you are getting voltage sag and the BMS in your battery is cutting in to shut the battery down to protect it.

You need a higher capacity battery if you are going to run at that level, or you need to reduce the current draw from the controller if you are going to continue to run with your existing battery.

I have a 100 a 3000-5000w Sabvoton controller, paired with a 3000-5000w hub motor my battery is a (20s 5p 72v 60A 22Ah.) How do I adjust my controller settings to my battery output.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412_210455_MQCON.jpg
    Screenshot_20230412_210455_MQCON.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 14
Back