My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Just received photos of my EX bike ordered in April through "Frey is with you" program. When it will be shipped is still unknown.

Attachments

• 85FDF8B1211F100FBBEABD8510E057A8.jpg
    85FDF8B1211F100FBBEABD8510E057A8.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 3,295
  • E9C66A2FA606547115E52BBD4FBB2D21.jpg
    E9C66A2FA606547115E52BBD4FBB2D21.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 3,295
Just received the license plate for my AM1000EX "Frey Ultimate Commuter by Kormyr" edition (can't use the acronym for this one :) ), and now we are back to confinement...

Bike_4.png

Bike_1.png

Bike_3.png

Bike_2.png

Bike is almost complete, modifications still pending:
- Dual mount for front Cycliq camera and Garmin (K-Edge said they will release such a mount shortly)
- Bike Tracker, that has been a bit delayed
- RRP Proguard and MudHugger (had them on previous ebike, still not sure if I will install them on this one)
- I may also be considering a lock for the stem: Ixow Stemlock (but it is not available right now), Quick Stop Bike Lock or N-lock for example. Not sure if somebody has feedback on them

New model the Beast has been announced. A limited edition 60V 24.5Ah 70km/h speed-demon and a long-range 52V 28Ah variant will be available soon. Judging from the pictures rear has a long travel coil shock. Most likely front and rear +150mm. Further specs available soon.

Attachments

• 53F71102-535F-4005-996C-C1023F4D50A5.jpeg
    53F71102-535F-4005-996C-C1023F4D50A5.jpeg
    994.6 KB · Views: 2,625
More details: https://electrek.co/2021/01/26/frey-beast-unveil-1800w-electric-mountain-bike-massive-battery/
The 2 different wheel size is interesting, I'm not an expert but it's the first time I see it on an ebike.
We still don't know the weight and price, which would both be impressive I assume :)

Kormyr said:
More details: https://electrek.co/2021/01/26/frey-beast-unveil-1800w-electric-mountain-bike-massive-battery/
The 2 different wheel size is interesting, I'm not an expert but it's the first time I see it on an ebike.
We still don't know the weight and price, which would both be impressive I assume :)

Given similarities to the EX I would say this will weigh 36 to 40 kilos. Unless there is a big surprise and the frame is carbon (which it isn’t) this figure should be fairly close.

My guess for price is $5000 for the base model.

I wonder if this kind of concept e-bike would serve as a base for a potential future EX.
I find this e-bike well done and (on my commuter point of view) promising.
I don't practice DH but I guess it starts to become a bit heavy for this usage.
Again if somebody from Frey is reading, IGH + belt option would definitely move it to the next level :mrgreen:

Kormyr said:
Again if somebody from Frey is reading, IGH + belt option would definitely move it to the next level :mrgreen:
yeah, IGH
Like this: https://wattwagons.com/collections/hydra

Kormyr said:

I guess you’re right in terms of asymmetric setup on a production eBike but I had Frey build my special 79er EX PRO earlier last year 😁
https://youtu.be/os96Z9YEo90

I also upgraded it myself with many additional parts. The Michelin E-Wild tyres make a huge traction difference real world off-road.

Sinbord1981 said:
Kormyr said:

I guess you’re right in terms of asymmetric setup on a production eBike but I had Frey build my special 79er EX PRO earlier last year 😁

I also upgraded it myself with many additional parts. The Michelin E-Wild tyres make a huge traction difference real world off-road.

Wow, nice Glossy one.
I think my EX will look close to yours with the MudHugger and RRP Proguard. The ones I have are a bit bigger (for rainy commuting days)
[strike]Which seatpost is it?[/strike] And is it the "official" frey battery cover?

Also, any recommendation for road-oriented tyres?

EDIT: Just needed to read the video description

Kormyr said:
Sinbord1981 said:
I had Frey build my special 79er EX PRO earlier last year 😁

Wow, nice Glossy one.
Which seatpost is it?
And is it the "official" frey battery cover?
Also, any recommendation for road-oriented tyres?
>> The dropper seat post is the Rockshox Reverb Stealth Hydraulic dropper. It’s a lot better than the K900i they supply by default.

>> It’s also worth upgrading to the Rockshox Lyric Ultimate front forks with short offset as well.

>> Not sure what you mean by battery cover?

>> Why put road tyres on it? It’s a pure off road bike with full suspension. Sorry can’t comment on road tyres for these as I only know about 21-28mm road tyres for my road bikes! Not big fat stuff that you’d presumably want to fit.

Sinbord1981 said:
The dropper seat post is the Rockshox Reverb Stealth Hydraulic dropper. It’s a lot better than the K900i they supply by default.

Agree, I went with the Rockshox Reverb AXS for easy installation :D
We will see for the convenience on the day to day usage and the battery charge frequency.

Sinbord1981 said:
It’s also worth upgrading to the Rockshox Lyric Ultimate front forks with short offset as well.

Also agree, even though for my use case the supplied Lyric is more than enough.

Sinbord1981 said:
Why put road tyres on it? It’s a pure off road bike with full suspension. Sorry can’t comment on road tyres for these as I only know about 21-28mm road tyres for my road bikes! Not big fat stuff that you’d presumably want to fit.

I bought the EX for commuting, I chose it for the Bafang Ultra, Dual battery and suspension combo. Road approval in my country was also mandatory.
So my usage is not similar to most buyers of this ebike. I plan to have 2 tyre sets, a "fat ebike road tyres" that can be ideal for summer road usage and the current ones for rainy/snowy seasons.

Hello everybody, after reading a lot about ebike conversions and failing to find a satisfying solution to convert my all mountain bike because of battery placement problems, I discovered the Frey brand thanks to this thread as a value for money option featuring the powerful Bafang M620 motor. So now I am considering to buy the EX Pro but I am a bit concerned about the weight, some reviewers mention that it is not agile enough. I will be riding it offroad enduro style on all kinds of forest trails, with rocks, big fallen tree branches etc. I also rode enduro motorbikes on these trails and wanted a more agile 2 wheeled vehicle, because dirt bike manufacturers build their bikes for MALE riders only, IMHO - they are just too tall and heavy for me to handle. Those of you that bought the Frey Ex PRO and have experience both with bicycles and dirt motorbikes, can you please share your experience in terms of weight / handling of this bike? Anything else to consider when buying? Meaningful upgrades (especially controller?) Thank you!

zoumerela said:
Hello everybody, after reading a lot about ebike conversions and failing to find a satisfying solution to convert my all mountain bike because of battery placement problems, I discovered the Frey brand thanks to this thread as a value for money option featuring the powerful Bafang M620 motor. So now I am considering to buy the EX Pro but I am a bit concerned about the weight, some reviewers mention that it is not agile enough. I will be riding it offroad enduro style on all kinds of forest trails, with rocks, big fallen tree branches etc. I also rode enduro motorbikes on these trails and wanted a more agile 2 wheeled vehicle, because dirt bike manufacturers build their bikes for MALE riders only, IMHO - they are just too tall and heavy for me to handle. Those of you that bought the Frey Ex PRO and have experience both with bicycles and dirt motorbikes, can you please share your experience in terms of weight / handling of this bike? Anything else to consider when buying? Meaningful upgrades (especially controller?) Thank you!

With one battery the weight 30 kg’s. With both batteries it’s around 34. In size M the bike should be fairly agile. I don’t have any experience on motorbikes. If the trail is suitable for an enduro MC it will be suitable for an enduro ebike.

zoumerela said:

I don’t have a Frey (I want one but haven’t bought yet due to the long lead times/COVID!) but I do have a 17KW hub ebike with a 3x bigger battery, moto tires/wheels and to me it feels like a super light motorcycle. I had a 275 pound DRZ400 and my ebike seams like a super light version at 125 lbs. The EX with both batteries ends up being 50 lbs lighter than my bike so I’d call that an ultra light ebike. I’m 6 foot 4 inches and 210 lbs so take that in consideration on what is light for me. I guess it’s relative to what you weigh maybe? Picture so you know what my bike looks like.

At this point the EX or Beast will be my next ebike.

Tom

Attachments

• CB27E169-7840-4815-82DF-F8B1860E6238.jpeg
    CB27E169-7840-4815-82DF-F8B1860E6238.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2,141
zoumerela said:

Buy a trials bike and if necesssary add a longride seat. It'll do things the Frey couldn't imagine doing and cost the same or less.

litespeed said:
. I had a 275 pound DRZ400 and my ebike seams like a super light version at 125 lbs. The EX with both batteries ends up being 50 lbs lighter than my bike so I’d call that an ultra light ebike.

Tom

Thanks for your insight. Do you actually pedal on that ebike? I am interested to understand when a bike does not feel like a bicycle any more but rather than a motorbike, because I want to feel the experience of an agile bicycle that I pedal and exercise on any trail and not that I am riding a super light motorbike that I should rather use a throttle on. I am seeing a lot of power ebike beasts but I am not sure if they will still feel as bicycles.

Grantmac said:
Buy a trials bike and if necesssary add a longride seat. It'll do things the Frey couldn't imagine doing and cost the same or less.

I did buy a trials bike exactly for that reason - I found no offroad bike that is "ready to ride" and not "ready to race" so I thought a trials bike might do the trick. I personally found it very uncomfortable to ride, even with the longseat. The geometry was not made for long and cosy tours in nature, and quite frankly it was quite dangerous with all that endless torque paired on a super light handlebar. I almost hurt myself with it. So I sold it. The next toy on my wish list is an eMTB, but I really still want it to be an MTB and not an electric motorcycle and I just do not understand where the line crosses between the 2 categories :D

zoumerela said:
Grantmac said:

I did buy a trials bike exactly for that reason - I found no offroad bike that is "ready to ride" and not "ready to race" so I thought a trials bike might do the trick. I personally found it very uncomfortable to ride, even with the longseat. The geometry was not made for long and cosy tours in nature, and quite frankly it was quite dangerous with all that endless torque paired on a super light handlebar. I almost hurt myself with it. So I sold it. The next toy on my wish list is an eMTB, but I really still want it to be an MTB and not an electric motorcycle and I just do not understand where the line crosses between the 2 categories :D
What you need to do is find yourself a used mountain bike that you love and do a medium power conversion.
That is exactly what I did. My bike with everything on it including 70 miles range battery is 38 lbs.
These Chinese bikes are just too heavy. They are 70-80 lbs. :shock: Maybe this is a price per pound type of deal? :oops:
I just don't understand why people pay so much money for them. :roll:
Avian with the battey installed..JPG

zoumerela said:
litespeed said:
. I had a 275 pound DRZ400 and my ebike seams like a super light version at 125 lbs. The EX with both batteries ends up being 50 lbs lighter than my bike so I’d call that an ultra light ebike.

Tom

Thanks for your insight. Do you actually pedal on that ebike? I am interested to understand when a bike does not feel like a bicycle any more but rather than a motorbike, because I want to feel the experience of an agile bicycle that I pedal and exercise on any trail and not that I am riding a super light motorbike that I should rather use a throttle on. I am seeing a lot of power ebike beasts but I am not sure if they will still feel as bicycles.

I always peddle when at bicycle speeds as I can only comfortably peddle to about 22-24mph. I guess I was giving my perspective and believe that the bike your thinking of would suit you well assuming the size fits with your stature.

Tom

I would like someone who has the Innotrace controller and display and an additional voltage display mounted on their AM1000 to review the combination and perhaps share a few tips on the installation.

I’m selling my much upgraded Frey EX Pro ‘special’ if anyone is interested. £4,950. It has every upgrade possible. Please message me if interested. UK collection only.

Adrenaline eBikes Ultimate INNOTRACE FREY EX PRO ‘Mullet’ double-battery eBike
£4,950 available for immediate collection

This includes the INNOTRACE controller upgrade.
This is the most highly specified version of this bike you will find in the UK.
Asymmetric wheel set-up: 29inch front, 27.5inch rear wheels.
Medium-sized frame.
High gloss black paint with embedded gold metallic fleck from the factory.

Base build EX Pro from Frey
++ Double battery.
++ Top of the range upgraded front fork.
++ 29" front wheel, 27.5" rear.
++ Rochshox hyraudlic dropper post.
++ Magura MDR-P disc rotors (220mm front, 203mm rear).
++ Additional battery charger.
++ Gear shift sensor.
++ Brake cut out sensors.
INNOTRACE 3,000 watt controller upgrade. Includes programming interface, dongle, cable, software, additional 'Egg-Rider' style mini controller display.
Rochshox Lyrik 2020 Ultimate RC2 180mm 29er Signature Red front forks with red lowers. BOOST 110x15mm axle. Short 42mm offset.
ODI Elite Pro MTB Lock On Grips 130mm – Red.
Surly 44T Chainring.
Miranda Crank Arms.
Michelin E-Wild Tyres.
Mudhugger mudguards & decals.
Reverse Escape Pedals chrome.
Crank Arm end caps.
Crank Arm "Shimano XT" vinyl graphics.
Custom "Adrenaline eBikes" Chainstay protectors.
Wheel Rim Graphics - "Mavic Crossmax".
Bafang "250W" sticker.
Kick stand, Frey rucksack & various other bits.

Anyone have any luck making their wheels tubeless?

Back