My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Ecyclist said:
Stanleybb50 said:
Ecyclist said:
Stanleybb50 said:
Anyone know a compatible rack for my AM1000? I think it's a v3? Looks like I got it in summer, '19. It has the welded 4 mounts on the rear triangle. Any good universal ones I could get that utilize them?

I like how the frey one looks personally - just rather order something Stateside for quicker receipt.

Thanks in advance! 🍻
Installing a rack on the rear triangle is not a way to go. The only way is to have your load suspended.
How much weight are you going to carry?

Frey is so responsive on getting back to me. They suggested I order stateside too, as shipping it would be $250 alone.

It would all depend, but only as needed maybe at camp, or 🤷 but it's a nice option. Why not though as the mounts seem pretty strong?

I searched and saw a mention about being able to allow the axle to support? If so, not sure how/etc myself..

Thanks for the help!
It is never a good idea to carry unsuspended load. The load is bad for a wheel, and a bad road surface is bad for things you carry.
I built an electric bike and took it with me for a road trip to Japan.
I used Topeak RX BeamRack.
https://www.rei.com/product/743341/topeak-rx-beamrack-with-side-frame-e-type?cm_mmc=email_tran-_-return_conf-_-20190915-_-itemdesc&ev36=&RMID=RSPU_Sterling&RRID=49711918&ev11=&mi_u=49711918
That rack is good for about 20 lb. but I rigged it in an unorthodox way and could load my weight (170 lb.) on it. I loaded it with about 50 lb. of gear and covered with it 800 miles.
If you are interested in something like that, I can post some photos, assuming I can find them.

Sounds like a great idea! Did you connect back to the rear of the lower seat tube portion of the frame?

*Would love to see the pics 👍🍻

I think it'd be cool to carry a 25lb or so cooler (total with beverages/food) for a picnic or something would be cool to be able to carry..

Hard or soft side cooler transport with the Frey would be sweet while camping

Stanleybb50 said:
Ecyclist said:
Stanleybb50 said:
Ecyclist said:
Installing a rack on the rear triangle is not a way to go. The only way is to have your load suspended.
How much weight are you going to carry?

Frey is so responsive on getting back to me. They suggested I order stateside too, as shipping it would be $250 alone.

It would all depend, but only as needed maybe at camp, or 🤷 but it's a nice option. Why not though as the mounts seem pretty strong?

I searched and saw a mention about being able to allow the axle to support? If so, not sure how/etc myself..

Thanks for the help!
It is never a good idea to carry unsuspended load. The load is bad for a wheel, and a bad road surface is bad for things you carry.
I built an electric bike and took it with me for a road trip to Japan.
I used Topeak RX BeamRack.
https://www.rei.com/product/743341/topeak-rx-beamrack-with-side-frame-e-type?cm_mmc=email_tran-_-return_conf-_-20190915-_-itemdesc&ev36=&RMID=RSPU_Sterling&RRID=49711918&ev11=&mi_u=49711918
That rack is good for about 20 lb. but I rigged it in an unorthodox way and could load my weight (170 lb.) on it. I loaded it with about 50 lb. of gear and covered with it 800 miles.
If you are interested in something like that, I can post some photos, assuming I can find them.

Sounds like a great idea! Did you connect back to the rear of the lower seat tube portion of the frame?

*Would love to see the pics 👍🍻
No, but you are on the right track. Unfortunately for that you would need a bike specific custom made brace.
I connected the rack with the frame of the saddle.
I used 1/8 Dyneema line and a small shackle. Any cheap line will not do.
After you have everything hooked-up, you will need to preload the line just like a guitar string by sliding the rack clump down the tube. Everything has to be very tight. My rack is off now, but I can put it back together and take more photos if you need it.
It is a very simple set up but it works. It removes most of the load from the weld that is the weakest link of the rack.

Attachments

• Avian set up for Japan.JPG
    Avian set up for Japan.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,543
Saymon Vasilman said:
Hello to all riders!
I read this whole topic and wanted to start ordering Frey! But I found very bad news that now Bafang ULTRA motor has CANbus protocol instead of UART. :(
Does this mean that now I will not be able to tune the motor using a cable and softwhere? And can't use the motor with the EGGRIDER DISPLAY?
Has anyone already received a bike with the CANbus protocol?

I know some people ordering Bafang Ultra motors by other methods have reported receiving BBS Ultra motors that use entirely CANbus controllers...

However I haven't seen one first-hand yet, nor have I seen any Frey owners reporting that theirs has a non-UART controller:
So far, it seems like Frey is still shipping UART programmable Bafang Ultra powered bikes? (Personally I hope that continues.)

Ecyclist said:
file.php

Good lord, man! How many cells are you running, there?

I asked the manufacturer Frey about the new CANbus motors. They said that in the near future all ULTRA motors will be with CANbus. This will not allow programming the motor or using the EGGrider. :cry:

Saymon Vasilman said:
I asked the manufacturer Frey about the new CANbus motors. They said that in the near future all ULTRA motors will be with CANbus. This will not allow programming the motor or using the EGGrider. :cry:

Any idea whether "in the near future" means 'bikes we're still putting together now', or whether it means 'we expect to start using those soon, so order one of the remaining old ones ASAP'?

Perhaps a better question would be "Do you have any UART programmable G510s in stock & if so how many of those could we order right now?" ;D

At the time I asked about programmability on the AM1000, Frey offered a programming cable which I did add to our order, but the lot is not due to ship until middle of October... If it doesn't support the settings I asked about I'll be sorely disappointed! (In particular, the PAS & Torque tabs.)

As it is, feels like Bafang is killing much of the appeal of their motors in the future; or at least their controllers? (Do they even sell Ultras without a controller? I didn't see that on their site.) Without the ability to fine-tune a motor's response for each bike+rider setup (or even for changes to that setup!) they'll underperform chronically, & then be all the more worthless for use on other builds. I can't imagine a locked down CANBus motor retaining anywhere near the resale value of a UART programmable one.

I would not choose to buy a bike with a Bafang drive that cannot be tuned.

Hi guys.

Really sad to report my AM1000 frame broke this morning.
To say I'm feeling gutted is an understatement as I've really only used my bike on roads, with the worst the frame has had to endure are the odd speed bump.

Rather than sympathy, I guess I'm really looking for some advise on where to go from here. Has anyone else had the same problem and what did you do. I've just emailed Frey and to be honest, I'm feeling a bit nervous about their response, I'll update when they get back to me.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2021-08-07 09.18.29.jpg
    2021-08-07 09.18.29.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2,323
  • 2021-08-07 09.18.45.jpg
    2021-08-07 09.18.45.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2,323
I'm not surprised. I don't think anything like structural engineering was applied to that bike before it went on sale. A little prior art, some rough guesses, and a sense of market demand got stirred together and had a price tag slapped on.

If they're good, and the bike is pretty new, they'll send you a replacement frame. If not, you're on your own.

scrambler said:
If you are out of warranty and they don't send you a frame, this looks like a clean break in a centered location that a welder should be able to fix fairly easily.

Thanks for your advice Scrambler, I didn't think a weld would be strong enough to take the forces going through that area, not that I know anything about welding. I'll definitely look into it though

Hi Daniel,

Your AM1000 is 3.0 version. As we have replied you yesterday, we will prepare a present 5.0 version AM1000 frame send to you as our support. it will cost about 2 weeks to make it ready.

Best Regards,
Ivy Wang

DaninSpain said:
Hardcore said:
Which AM1000 version is that? (How old) looks like 3rd gen.

Not sure which version, I bought it in Feb 2018

DaninSpain said:
Hi guys.

To say I'm feeling gutted is an understatement as I've really only used my bike on roads, with the worst the frame has had to endure are the odd speed bump.

Rather than sympathy, I guess I'm really looking for some advise on where to go from here. Has anyone else had the same problem and what did you do. I've just emailed Frey and to be honest, I'm feeling a bit nervous about their response, I'll update when they get back to me.

Frey have very Kindly offered to send me a replacement frame free of charge including shipping.

I'm gutted that this has happened, but it has, and to be honest I could not have expected a better response from Frey. The bike is 3 1/2 years old, and although it's had an easy life (1600 road miles), Frey have no real obligation to me at this point in time. Their response to me is a reflection of how they run their business and view their customers 👏🏻

All I need now is to find someone qualified and willing to rebuild my bike 😩

Will further update as the story progresses.

DaninSpain said:
Consider doing it yourself!

It may seem daunting, but REALLY ... building a bike from the frame up is not difficult. It is detail-oriented but very straightforward. I know I had a fair bit of trepidation before I did my first but once one of them is behind you you'll realize it was in fact fairly simple. I'd keep a garage space open, put a bike stand in the middle of it and take your time. Or if you are single... a corner of your living room or even a spare bedroom (working in air conditioning beats a hot summer garage).

I think I might buy a new headset rather than trying to bash the existing one out of the frame and press it back into the new one. Good time for an upgrade, really. If cables run inside thru the frame, maybe do new ones of those too (new housings, new derailleur cable).

MoneyPit said:
DaninSpain said:
Consider doing it yourself!

It may seem daunting, but REALLY ... building a bike from the frame up is not difficult. It is detail-oriented but very straightforward. I know I had a fair bit of trepidation before I did my first but once one of them is behind you you'll realize it was in fact fairly simple. I'd keep a garage space open, put a bike stand in the middle of it and take your time. Or if you are single... a corner of your living room or even a spare bedroom (working in air conditioning beats a hot summer garage).

I think I might buy a new headset rather than trying to bash the existing one out of the frame and press it back into the new one. Good time for an upgrade, really. If cables run inside thru the frame, maybe do new ones of those too (new housings, new derailleur cable).

Thanks for your advice MoneyPit, it would be a tempting project, except I don't have the required space available.

DaninSpain said:
DaninSpain said:
Hi guys.

Frey have very Kindly offered to send me a replacement frame free of charge including shipping.

I'm gutted that this has happened, but it has, and to be honest I could not have expected a better response from Frey. The bike is 3 1/2 years old, and although it's had an easy life (1600 road miles), Frey have no real obligation to me at this point in time. Their response to me is a reflection of how they run their business and view their customers 👏🏻

Will further update as the story progresses.

Reading your recent posts here, has been a roller-coaster!

Very glad (& a bit impressed) that Frey is standing behind your bike, 3 years in. They seem very dedicated to their motto!

This week I got an email that the Frey AM1000 we ordered here has been assembled, tested, & sent to packing! I had never placed an order via Alibaba before, so Ivy & Cecilia's patience & help in getting this far, has been very much appreciated!

Frankly I can't wait to lay hands on this ebike & see which of our use cases it will cover best! (I suspect I won't need to do much to it, if at all, for the majority of our riding! A dropper seatpost sure seems like something I'll want!)

I'm in talks w/ Frey for a new bike, I'm from Europe so I wondered if any other Europeans have suggestions on what kind of shipping to use.
Frey themselves are pushing for sea shipping and they're saying that trains are problematic due to the Covid situation, but I don't know if that's for real or just some excuse, so I wonder what you guys would suggest.

Thanks

Train is a real problem, there are a lot stuck at border crossings due to covid and bikes have been stolen without insurance covering....

HerrDoktor said:
I've been running the Frey for just over 2 weeks. Whilst my first impression was "Damn it's heavy", I've got to say, I'm extremely impressed with is thus far.

It will comfortably travel at 25mph and give me approx 35 miles. Travelling any faster and the battery life plummets to mileage in the low 20's

The front and rear fenders/ mudguards are excellent; the rear particularly so. It's not some cheap, ill-fitting plastic piece. It seems to be shaped aluminium that performs its job as well as the full race blades on my road bike!
REAR WEIGHT: 275g
FRONT WEIGHT: 76g

The rear rack, like the rear fender is made of a aluminium and of excellent quality
WEIGHT: 950g.

Opting for 2 batteries and 2 chargers was well worth the added cost.
WEIGHT EACH: 3586g

The front and rear lights are quite dim so can't say I'd recommend them to be honest
REAR WEIGHT: 55g
FRONT WEIGHT: 126g

The dropper post functions as expected. I've not weighed it

GRIPE
I've one gripe, when on the smallest sprocket, the chain slaps on the chain stay like no bike I've ridden before.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Incidentally, FedEx gave me a bill for Import Duty/ VAT of £122.48

Hi There, just curious what groupset you’re running? Trying to understand if its a derailleur with a clutch. Thanks.

Duncan75 said:
I'm in talks w/ Frey for a new bike, I'm from Europe so I wondered if any other Europeans have suggestions on what kind of shipping to use.
Frey themselves are pushing for sea shipping and they're saying that trains are problematic due to the Covid situation, but I don't know if that's for real or just some excuse, so I wonder what you guys would suggest.

Thanks

You can trust Frey mate. They are doing a really good job.

FlyingFinn said:
Got today confirmation from the bikeshop. Rear hub’s freewheel had failed on my two-week-old FAT1000. New better quality DT Swiss hub was 259€ and replacement work including new spokes only 78€ which is a bargain.

Contacted Frey today concerning the return of the hub.

Hi guys,

My hub failed today on my AM1000 v5. Which one do you recommended?

jeron said:
Duncan75 said:

Thanks

You can trust Frey mate. They are doing a really good job.
If comes to doing a good job I only trust my girlfriends. :lol:

Saymon Vasilman said:

Speaking of EggRider, I have 1 on my EX with dual battery, and remaining % is completely off.
For example:
1) I start with 100%, then after 5min of moderate ride it shows 89%, when I turn it off and on again it goes back to 96%.
2) After a 20km ride it goes all the way from 100% to 0%, then 60-70% after rebooting

I did not do any modification on the settings, is there a place where I can set the battery capacity?

Back