My HT35 has been on a diet

Tench

100 kW
I just fetched this back from my tame cnc shop, the motor has now shed 3 1/2lb in weight with just over 2lb of that having come off the magnet ring. There is still no detectable magnetism on the outside of the mag ring. The side plates have given a little up too but will remain hole free. Additional savings have come from a titanium axle.

Good lord, that is fantastic. What's the projected total mass compared to the stocker? Are you going to keep it standard as far as cooling? Oil cooled?

The complete motor is now a 6.25kg, 20% lighter, I think 30% would be possible and even more with vented covers but I want to keep it sealed from mud and grit. I don't think I will need oil cooling as it will only pushed to 3.2kw max.
Reducing the rear wheel weight to see how nice I can get a simply reliable DD hubby to ride off road is the target.

But mainly because I can! sometimes we lose the plot of our original objectives and get carried away!!

Ti axle, CNC weight-loss program... I think you've won the award for "most improved" C-lyte hub motor.

Would be even better with holes in the side-covers. More weight to be saved! ;)

I'm skeptical that useful structural material has been removed. It looks flexy and weak to me.

Nice! Thought about carbon sidecovers if you want to loose weight their but still stay sealed? A E-S member from NZ did it, I'll have to try to dig it up.

Paired spoke holes drilled for a tight fit around 14G spokes would be on my list for any sculpted hub shells.

voicecoils said:
Nice! Thought about carbon sidecovers if you want to loose weight their but still stay sealed? A E-S member from NZ did it, I'll have to try to dig it up.

Paired spoke holes drilled for a tight fit around 14G spokes would be on my list for any sculpted hub shells.
Unfortunately I had all ready bought the spokes before Justins new spoke calculator thread started which brought paired spokes to my attention, otherwise I would have gone with closely paired spokes. next time!

The H series motors would be easy to make CF side plates for with their flat sides, some simple magnesium flanged bearing housings is all it would take.
gogo said:
I'm skeptical that useful structural material has been removed. It looks flexy and weak to me.

That thought momentarily crossed my mind too, but then the spokes are only 2.3mm dia pulling from an aluminium rim via a very fine thread into a brass nipple, the steel magnet ring is not going to be the weakest link.

The motor is now built and laced into a 1.40 x 17 Pro wheel rim and fitted with a Heidenau K46 2.75x17 tyre. It has an 160mm Hope X2 race disc as these are 100g lighter than the 180 floaters I usually use, it also has an aluminium freewheel to save more weight. The total weight for the complete wheel with tyre disc and sprocket is 10.68kg, about the same as a bare X5 motor!! That weight includes 250g of slime in the tube, one thing I wont sacrifice to save weight!

With the tyre inflated to 50psi the wheel measure 22 3/4" tall

You're making my HT35 jealous. :D

Brilliant work!

about as good as it gets with a hub motor/smaller wheel/durable tire and still have pedal clearance.....excellent build!!!

Awesome si love it. Why not drill the sides and vinle wrap them?

this is some serious lighter made motor. great job!
i like that you didn't dill holes in the sidecovers. i'm no fan of this.. we should keep mud and water out of our motors.
also nice painting :)

Back