My solar-assisted custom tricycle FOLLIES

amberwolf wrote:

I, too, suffer from the wanderings of tools as they seek shelter from my abuse.

Not a day goes by where I must carefully stalk them in their lairs so I might fix something, and often must use whichever tool I manage to actually catch to do the job of another that has escaped my clutches.

Generally the sledgehammer is easiest to catch, as it is too heavy to run very fast.

Yep, I used to blame it on the kids but they've been out of the house for over 25 years and I still have to search for tools. I too have a place where each tool or tool type belongs, but apparently it's up to me to see that they actually get there.

The Nuvinci/staton setup consists of a track cog with a freewheel thread welded on. The track cog contraption is held on the 171B cassette splines via a snap ring.
The 44-tooth flange gear is machined from a single-piece crank ring gear with a BIG hole cut out of it's center and 6 holes matching the 171B spoke flange holes. (the BIG hole needs to be slightly BIGGER as I was in a hurry to test the setup to fix this part- more futzing to do while waiting on parts to arrive)

I added the 16-tooth freewheel (not supplied by staton) where the washer 'spacer' supplied by staton that goes between the cog sprocket thingy and freewheel is too large a diameter. The sprocket and outer ring of the freewheel are contacting each other via the washer. So I also am fine-machining the spacer with my belt sander (instant size reduction) where a hammer won't accomplish the same task.

As Rassy pointed out and I find rather incredible, the 171B will NOT shift under load.
-what a worthless j/k of a transmission (and I, of course, own one)

@Rassy
-since you're having a conversation with Failbrook.
Would you find out if the 360 can be shifted under load?

I read someplace that it does shift under load. That, plus it only takes about 1/3 turn from lowest ratio to highest ratio as opposed to two full turns for the N171B.

Do a search on N360 and you will find a number of forum members using it. They could probably answer this type of question based on actual experience. Apparently Fallbrook has also made an autoshift version but information and availability is still hiding.

Everything is relative though. If you read some of LI-ghtcycle's posts he was very happy with the N171B manual shift on a two wheel recumbent.

And my auto shift N171B does shift under power, both up shifts and down shifts. That is the main reason I like the 4 turn auto shift developers kit versus the 2 turn manual NuVinci.

let me correct what I wrote with:

My 171B will NOT shift under load

back to 'play' mode

30 dollar trike garage.jpg

The fingers said:
At first, before I read the caption, I thought it was a cutaway view of a very large velomobile! :lol:
that''d be one heck of a velomobile lol

-back to play mode
if it wasn't for play mode I'd be a serious cranky old man instead of the part-time cranky old man I usually am.
I re-packaged my batteries to 'four' cases of 36V 15Ah. Tested a fully-charged and partially charged case today (4.2V and 4.15V respectively) clocking 25 miles north on one and 20 miles north on the other (same route, no wind) until the LVC intermittently actuated on a mountain. (so... scientific)
The north route is far more challenging than the south route
The south route consists of grades approaching 5 %.
The north route consists of grades starting at 5%.

-was fun none-the-less
I wandered on paths I normally couldn't wander on.
note: It's appears to me that the most 'technical' paths I tried to ride were populated by moles. gopher and groundhogs. Hidden hazards.
As mentioned previously blackberry, along with salmon berry are ripe on the vine and getting lots of attention from the local animal populations.

...and huckleberry (hound)
Giant huckleberry at that!
Yum
dismembered bat cage.jpgeasy identification.jpg

I got the rear mini-might motor from Terry @ highertekbikes.com already
Thanks Terry and that was amazingly fast.

This part gives me pause.
I could easily manufacture a hub flange sprocket for the motor and drop it into the jackshaft position.
If front/rear motors take me up the 30% grade that's all I actually need and I suspect they will, as the rear motor can be further geared down to the axle which is already driving 20" wheels. Although not by much unless I wanna go with GIANT track cog sprockets of 80-tooth (doable apparently from affordablegokarts)
I have a dropout adapter for the derailleur arm and the trike came with an index shifter.
Or just bolt on the hub sprocket and power the (hopefully replaced with a working) 171B
-or-
The NuVinci can rest on my shelf of "poor purchasing decisions" or I can try to install it on MT#1 once MT#2 is rideable.
-or-
I can just re-install the MY1018 on MT#1 via the jackshaft freewheel I already have and bury the nuvinci in the money pit I've been digging

decisions decisions decisions

note: I am now soliciting decisions as in :
what would YOU do given the same parameters

-just got a call from sick bike parts.
They're introducing a fixed-gear chainring adapter for 5/8" axles this week(end)
-just in case anyone else is looking to mount chain rings on axles (like me, fer instance)
Also for those trikes that use a 15mm axle, the Stock # 143 brass tube from K&S supply makes an excellent shim to adapt a 15mm axle to a 5/8" axle.
Just add minor machine work to open a slot for the keyway.

-forgot to mention

After 150+ cycles of bulk-charging-only on my first LiPo battery pack (forgot about checking balance) the batteries were all exactly at the same voltage (as far as my DVM can measure accurately or within 100th of a volt)
This pack doesn't feature cell-to-cell parallel connections. Just wired via the discharge terminals.
...this pack has over 500 cycles and isn't showing much capacity loss yet.
-Overcharged to 4.3V a couple of times
-Undercharged to 3.5V once
-irregularly charged to 4.2V
-regularly cycled from 4.15 to (3.95-3.75)

dmsolar finally had the poly panels in stock again, so those got ordered.
Don't let the low price deceive you as they 'add on' a $100 shipping charge for 340.88 total -or- ~$1.18 per Watt delivered.

affordablegokarswhatever just went on my 'special' list of avoidable outlets. 3 business days to email the parts I ordered aren't in stock. (I kinda suspected this might happen)
-now searching for alternative sources for a hub-mounted chain ring gear. (44-tooth or larger)
Hopefully sickbikeparts.com will have what I need soon.
Doing special orders with the LBS is a slow proposition.

ordered stuff from MFG Supply
sprockets will need sum grine--denz

ddk said:
ordered stuff from MFG Supply
sprockets will need sum grine--denz
...and shipped today
warming up the grinding wheelz

Today I had to order more speakon chassis connectors from parts express (amphenal type- cheaper)
-also shipped today

-deals extreme mailed my order on the 3-8
lol.

failbrook hazn't responded yet

Rassy said:
I read someplace that it does shift under load. That, plus it only takes about 1/3 turn from lowest ratio to highest ratio as opposed to two full turns for the N171B.

Do a search on N360 and you will find a number of forum members using it. They could probably answer this type of question based on actual experience. Apparently Fallbrook has also made an autoshift version but information and availability is still hiding.

Everything is relative though. If you read some of LI-ghtcycle's posts he was very happy with the N171B manual shift on a two wheel recumbent.

And my auto shift N171B does shift under power, both up shifts and down shifts. That is the main reason I like the 4 turn auto shift developers kit versus the 2 turn manual NuVinci.
shooulda bought the v-8

a search shows that nuvinci of all types (except your automatic thingy) refuse to downshift under load.
-btw staton didn't offer the auto-thingy when I got around to ordering mine.

failbrook responds with:

nothing about the downshifting under load so I assume (a crappy excuse for not having any facts) that my nuvinci 171B is operating correctly and is it's normal.
i.e it's a pos excuse for a TRANSMISSION.
Even derailleurs sometimes shift under load (when you least expect it - like the spanish inquisition)

...waiting on parts
Welda-fella sez he'd make big holes in sprockets too.

more playtime until stuff rolls in

surprise package.jpg
surprise bulk charger.jpg

rode 45 miles today
My rear-end now can handle 30 miles before it needs a rest.

-new plan includes nuvinci one last time before I give it to Rassy
NEW PLAN.jpg
missing note is the mighty mite 12-tooth drives a 27-tooth gear on the drive-side of the nuvinci
...yep geared for a TOP Speed of a blazin' 12-16mph because this IS the hill-climbing drive. Low gear should be ~2- 3mph

The front mini/controller combination overheats and shuts down 7 kilometers into an 8 kilometer 6-7% climb
(uhuhuhuhuhuhuh...almost to the top)
tested three times with the same result :(

-new plan includes nuvinci one last time before I give it to Rassy
Wait a minute! I already have a complete manual shift N171B on the shelf that I don't ever intend to use because of my preference for the auto shift.

We need to check with LI-ghtcycle. He seemed to like his N171B manual shift. I haven't seen him on the board for a couple of months. Need to check and see if everything is okay. Hope he is just busy with bicycle school.

Anyway, I'll hang on to mine for a while just in case you end up really likeing yours and need a part or something. :D

Plan B for mine is to see if internal parts from the manual shift can be used for replacement parts for the auto shift one that started making noise.

Rassy said:
...Anyway, I'll hang on to mine for a while just in case you end up really likeing yours and need a part or something. :D

Plan B for mine is to see if internal parts from the manual shift can be used for replacement parts for the auto shift one that started making noise.
hope Li-ghtcycle is just bizzy!
I doubt I'll ever get to liking the NV much since it fails to downshift under load (where one actually needs it to shift)
I understand the shimano allfine has no problems downshifting under load...
Might be my nXT purchase

Can't make real progress on the trike until I receive sprockets etc but I managed to put on the brake cables and disassembled one of my gear cages for mounting a fixed sprocket.
My freewheel tool is unusable for taking the freewheel off the mighty mite motor so I'm attempting to buy one with a bigger 'hole' to get over the wiring connectors/axle.
The screw-on threads will have a 12-tooth track cog mounted, assuming the LBS ever actually orders it. Imight have to order one though an on-line outlet (along with the longer control cables for the NV) if I want to get the trike on the road before fall.
Labor day would be a good time...
rear band brake.jpgrear axle space.jpgmeasuring brass shim.jpg

received:
-one $20 12-tooth track cog -(no tool to un-mount the gear cage from the Mighty Mite motor yet) and pretty pricey for a threaded gear where a 6-speed gear cage mounted on a freewheel costs $6.95 - the bane of the 'fixie' BS methinks, as the gears should be selling for about $2.95 each.
-one $5 lock ring (realized it's just a part used on another assembly of a trike/bike where the whole assembly costs $5 or less)
...and a control cable for the N171B that needs the ends removed (cheaper than the 'raw' cable with no ends)

I just love bike parts with their markups / BS / and name brand recognition

(cranky old man mode on)

Mmmm methinks the fix-it experience gives rise to component knowledge and pricing that can make some bike shop prices hard to justify... partic when components are manufactured off shore and can be gotten 2 or three steps down the supply chain closer to the manufacturer...

And thus perhaps a small-sized manufacturers' dilemmaa... immediate availability of single items versus building up one's own "stock" of components and wicked-arsed machinery, and the space and capital required...
Damned Bike shops know that dilemma and it pays handsomely :twisted:

ROCK ON Grumpy old man.

Joe

Having catered to an industry that supported a small clientele, the markup between distributor and list was on the order of less than 30%. (0.333333x)
After Tyco destroyed the electronics distributing industry, mark-ups went up to 10x-30x over their previous 1x-5x.
Bicycle parts are along the lines of 30x-100x or more (ebay mostly) and the clientele is hardly as small a crowd as the industry I dabbled in.

Today (after the fog lifts a bit) -gonna take the motor to the LBS to get the freewheel 'destructively' removed (remove the bearing retention plate) as I don't have a pin wrench that would do the job and I don't want to have one to lose.
It's not like I wanna save the $6.95 part by purchasing a $25 tool for what would likely be a one-time use if I kept it.

(everything I write is the opinion of one, cranky old guy who uses tongue firmly ensconced against cheek)

fogs started to lift
What I love about LiPo batteries is that I can leave them is any state of discharge
What I hate about LiPo batteries is that I leave them in any state of discharge.

I have a new tool, although not directly related to bicycles.new favorite tool.jpg
I bought an extra for Rassy should he stop by anytime lol.

as some of you may know, I decided to use SpeakOn loudspeaker connectors for my battery charge/discharge ports.
Works very well, absolutely no complaints, easy to use, the cable connectors are of female persuasion with the actual connections deeply buried in it's thermoplastic shell...

Deals Extreme stocks four different brands of the same SpeakOn connector (too bad in cable mount only)
Got me curious, to say the least, as the prices varied from less than $1 per connector to about what a normal Neutrik connector can be acquired for in the states
So I ordered all four types :lol:
I ordered them on the 2nd of August and received them today, the 18th of August.
...and they all appear to be quite adequate to the task of connecting large current sources to large current sinks. (rated 30A per connection with 4 poles available in one connector)
So for very little monies* I now have 21 additional connectors, 6 of which shall be used on MT#2 (this build)
-also picked up 100 jsx 6-pos male connectors for building parallel balance connectors for my 5s batteries (which I'll likely never actually build) cause the bag was really cheap.

*very little monies = the price I paid for 6 SpeakOns and their chassis equivalents a while back)

Back