Need input on my next build..........

Sounds like it will be a neat setup, im sure it will be very impressively put together too
Dougie Lampkin LOOKOUT Recumpence is gunnin' for your title :p

Well, I have started ordering parts. I just e-Bayed $1200 of stuff to pay for this build (or most of the build). :wink:

I just scored a set of Hope Tech4, 4 piston caliper brakeset (front and rear) with floating rotors. The rotors are 180mm front and 160mm rear. I have been looking for these brakes for a while and they tend to sell for $569 or so through e-Bay. I got this entire setup brand new (both complete sets) for $419 with shipping!

SCORE! :mrgreen:

I will be ordering a custom set of wheels, frame, forks, and bottom braket from Tartybikes soon.

Full speed ahead!

Matt

i'm planning to try sturmey archer's fixed gear 3 speed:
http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/2008/09/s3x-fixed-gear-3-speed.html

2 reductions: -37.5% and -25%. it's a fixie so it should be stronger than freewheeling gear hubs. also leaves the possibility of brake regen via some clutch mechanism. also way lighter than the nuvinci i'm using now. don't know whether this one will shift under load (most sa hubs don't).

recumpence have you ever come across Torpedo automatic 2 speed hubs? I had one back in
early 1980s when i raced BMX, this was totally automatic, no cables into it etc
was around the same size as a 3 speed hub same sorta weight to, when you got to a certain RPM
it dropped into second gear ...heres a pic of one

automatic-red-blue.jpg

Dunno if it is an option thought i would mention it anywayz...IF Reid is reading this thread
it would be absolutely PEEEERFECT for your cruiser...

Kim

Hmm, interesting!

I spent a couple hours at the shop today. I machined a 36 tooth front sprocket and ground the teeth off my White Industries 22 tooth freewheel for the FW crank setup.

The rear wheel FW will be a double sprocket (16 and 18 tooth) White FW. The pedal chain will go to the 16 tooth sprocket and I will attach a 44 tooth sprocket to the 18 tooth portion of the dual White FW cog.

I will post pics as I have them.

I am just waiting for my e-Bayed items to clear their PayPal payments so I can order my frame and wheels. :mrgreen:

I detect exotic E-joy approaching!

Matt

for sure the joy is here :lol:
i a little envious as this is the bit i love, buying the parts to make the bike just as you want it, picking the models and colours, components etc, my fave part!!
this should be bullit fast, and have awesome performance 8)
as i said a while ago, first guy to make a fast sub 50lb, reliable, ebike will have good chance of really breaking them into mainstream imo. could be your trials Matt, it needs to be light so that not too much of the "bicycle" flickability is lost, then watch them become mainstream :)

Cheers,

D

I ordered a few sprockets to mess around with. I have still got to just make a frame decision and go with it. I am liking the 20 inch Onza Limey. It is a bit spendy, though. But should be about perfect for my project.

Next is to decide on wheels. I have been looking at trilas wheels because of the width of them. I also like the 19 inch rear, 20 inch front layout. That does reduce my tire choices, though. However, I will be doing mostly street bashing, which is what many trials tires are made for.

We shall see.

Matt

Hi Matt,
I very much like where you are going with this and will be watching closely :D . I have just started a thread of my own along the same lines http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8319 . I plan on using a frame for 26" wheels( as I have 3 to play with ) but run 20" wheels as this will give far more room on the frame to mount stuff. I am using alex rims 20"front and 19"rear but will be using front suspension I currently have a set of zoom forks that are really nice and are adjustable ( and I had they just lying around waiting to be used ) the height of the forks gives me back the bb clearance after using 20" wheels.

Looks good!

My build is turning out to be a mish-mash hybrid of this and that. I ended up ordering (off e-Bay) a never run, new in the box, 2005 PK ripper. That was a $174 score! That frame is not a trials frame, but it has all the features I want and I do not need to make a subframe for the seat. Most everything else is trials, though. I like wide trials rims, tires, cranks, etc.

I will begin a separate build thread when my parts begin to arive.

Matt

Just so we are clear what everyone is up to:

gwhy! is branching out into the "Trials Ebike" category.

Recumpence is branching out into the "Trick Riding Ebike" category.

:?: Is this a fair assessment of categories?

...these bikes are being designed for very different needs.

:D I think this is a fair assessment .. but to be honest we both what the same things Strong, light, small, good brakes, predictable power delivery, extrem torque, The only thing that may differ is the top speed which i think matt have said he is aiming for 25-30mph I was thinking more of a max speed of 10-15mph . But if It is possible for a top speed of 25-30mph and keep the extrem torque ( the sort of torque what im thinking about :twisted: ) Then this will be perfect to take on some mototrials sections :wink:

nice choice matt. i picked up a 2008 pk ripper team last year and put a 5 speed sturmey archer hub on it. don't plan on doing any tricks on the pk though. the wheelbase is too long and head angle too low for flatland or vert. with my gear hub, even endos and bunny hops are a chore. that's without batts or motor. however, slap some comp pool slicks on this and you've got a sick city racer.

This is a team frame too (euro bb, CNC frame stifteners, etc). PKs are OK for flatland. But, the steep head tube angle makes for interesting technique requirements to do some flatland. It also makes for sketchy top speed stability. However, the bike should handle well up to 25mph or so.

Ultimately, I want to be able to do some very aggressive street riding without breaking anything. So, the bike will be a maximum of 40 pounds. My old flatland bike in my teens was over 30 pounds. So, this bike should be pretty close.

Basically, I want to be able to do mild trials, some basic flatland, and hard street riding.

Safe, you have it figured out. :wink:

Matt

ya, the cnc'd parts are nice--you can run the gear shift cable thru those dropouts. that frame is still made in taiwan (not outsourced to china) so the welds are still decent. i've bought frames from china where the entire rear triangle was welded crooked (off by 2 cm).

for tricks, i'd try take as much weight off the bike as possible. maybe put the batts & electronics in a camelbak hydration backpack and throw some ice in there to cool your hv110. watch out for condensation though ;)

Wow, perfect rim!

I will order right away. :mrgreen:

I plan on running a 30C lipo pack as small capacity as I can. I may go as small as 3AH (12S) to save weight. I am also shaving weight from every area I can.

Oh, did I say this bike will be for sale when it is done? I want to see if there is a market for really wild creations, sort of the Orange County Choppers of E-bikes. :wink:

Matt

fat rim !!!! what tyres will you put on that ? 44mm ?? :shock:
that would be a way cool company 8) i'll work for you :wink:
how will you sell it Matt? you need to sell it with no liability or garantee if possible.ebay?

Cheers,

D

I am not looking for some big business building E-bikes. But, I will mention it in my build thread and on the blog I will run for the bike. Anyone who buys it will be into high-end stuff anyway. I am not too worried about liability. Heck, I used to build RC helis for sale. :wink:

Matt

yes i see, i was kidding at the mention of occ choppers for ebikes.
Although if i did work there i'd probably end up being "mikey" :wink:
BTW any news for me? im guessing not yet :)

Cheers,

D

Your FW just showed up yesterday.

I should have your large pulley within the next few days.

Other than that, I need your motor or the specs for mounting so I can machine the mount. After that, I will send it is for anodizing along with my drive. My frame is black, so a black drive would be cool. 8)

Matt

Hi Matt,

thanks for the info, im still waiting for garys review of the hacker before i decide on motor but i wouldn't worry about it too much, tbh final fitting will be done at jozzbikes anyway and steve has a small mill etc so we could put the mounting slots ourselves if it comes to it.
My eno turned up yesterday? :shock: no way, i got mine yesterday too and they were ordered at the same time, seems it takes them as long to get to you as ship them to the uk!! lol
anyway not to worry,black all round is fine so send mine when you send yours, i have a little time still, hopefully it will come together soon as i'm hoping to get my bike picked up this saturday and my cranks and everything are here so when the GB arrives it's all systems go!!!

Cheers Matt, it's going to be a corking season 8)

D

I think you guys have something here with the Uberlight Street Hucker. With these bikes being just a hair over the weight of thier nonmotorized counterparts, the arguments against are minimal. If you buy 2 super high quality batteries and take your bike to the nearest ride park, be it the indoor one in Cleveland, or the local BMX track, you could do a session while charging the other pack. The similarities to the whole RC fly-refuel-pose-fly scenerio are obvious. Plus, you have my generation of riders looking to green means to get our rocks off without making alot of noise (or draw attention).

Matt, if you send your finished ride to a high profile rider like Dave Mirra or the like, I bet they will be impressed and want one, no matter the price.

That is..... IF it meets or exceeds YOUR expectations.

This is going to be BIG! From UK, Taiwan, AUS, and SoCal. I will see you down here for the X GAMES 2009, and yeah, go ahead and reserve a spot at Interbike in Las Vegas.

ps did you get my pm?

etard said:
I think you guys have something here with the Uberlight Street Hucker. With these bikes being just a hair over the weight of thier nonmotorized counterparts, the arguments against are minimal. If you buy 2 super high quality batteries and take your bike to the nearest ride park, be it the indoor one in Cleveland, or the local BMX track, you could do a session while charging the other pack. The similarities to the whole RC fly-refuel-pose-fly scenerio are obvious. Plus, you have my generation of riders looking to green means to get our rocks off without making alot of noise (or draw attention).

Matt, if you send your finished ride to a high profile rider like Dave Mirra or the like, I bet they will be impressed and want one, no matter the price.

That is..... IF it meets or exceeds YOUR expectations.

This is going to be BIG! From UK, Taiwan, AUS, and SoCal. I will see you down here for the X GAMES 2009, and yeah, go ahead and reserve a spot at Interbike in Las Vegas.

Scorpa are due to release a E-Trick bike in the summer as long as they dont go bust in the meantime :D
http://www.sev-world.com/en/etricks.html
But do seem to be a tad under powered to be a real fun bike and will be a big pricey aswell :?

Back