New battery advice

pjwalmsley

10 mW
I'm seeking a high performance utilitarian (and ideally secure) ebike.

I had a 48v (52v charge) 40amp ebike. It's an circa 2006 trek with front suspension and cable/rib brakes. It has a cycle analyst, nice continent standard hub motor, and a gen 2 grinfineon infineon 40a controller.

My sister dumped the bike and left it running ruining my battery (100 cycles and i got $250 towards a new one...). I wish the cells were replaceable/diagnosable - this appears to exclude higher end batteries which are necessary for my commute.

I think I want to replace the battery with a similar one - a 3emev triangular pack (any advice on 32e vs 30q?). From NH, so I have a 18 mile hilly commute and my old 13ah cell barely made it to work and back - i'm looking to upgrade a bit. Additionally the hills really took a toll on the nice-continent motor (burning after an 8 second touch after an average hill).

Eventually I want to replace my bike with a fatbike or maybe a lively full suspension bike (ideally a trek fuel with hookworm tires). I commute on a busy road so the faster the better (30mph-50mph vs the 20mph-30mph of the 9c). It would also be great to be able to have more pedal assist (poor with 9c motor). Considering a (big block) lightening rod kit.

I don't like the idea of a tail mounted pack after using an in frame pack. A backpack pack wouldn't be bad. Eventually I want something that can handle the woods and wet/cold/salty weather better. Do you guys think another triangular pack is a smart move or is their something better (for offroads, waterproofing, etc)?

Advice on a new battery?
Any advice on what to get component wise after a new battery. (say 2017)

Any recommendations for a higher quality throttle - using a low quality plastic twist throttle/break combo that came with my kit.

Finally, If anyone has suggestions on how I might combine/eliminate my downhill/freeride (banshee wildcard), commuter (trek 4300), and trail bikes (an ironhorse yakuza) i would.

Thanks!

Hmm, you clearly want a lot more than a new battery. The number one problem for commuting above 30 mph is simply going to be how to carry all that battery. Unless you go to 7" wide, its not going to fit in a triangle anymore. Now you need something a lot different than a regular bike.

Going longer is one way, my last two bikes can carry 2000 wh of battery easy. (48v 40 ah). But I have more in mind 80 miles at 15-20 mph, or 40 miles at 30 mph. But in any case, a cargo bike of some kind can carry a 30 pound battery.

The other option is the frames coming out lately, that look like a stealth Bomber. EM3ev has one I think, among others. Then you can carry a big ol battery in the middle, and the width won't bother you because there is no pedaling at 35 mph anyway.

yep, hes still got frames.
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=47

Back