new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I already said I can lock up either bike to the iron stair rail and drop a 20 foot cord out my front window and charge Lipo outside as long as its not raining or snowing.
Portable on board charging just seems to make sense with Lipo. Anywhere there is an outlet. It is so much better than charging at home exclusively. Also less chance on running the batteries low when far away from home. Just find a plug and plug in and take a break. It makes total sense to me.

I will order tomorrow or Monday. maybe two of those if they make one large enough for the 400 watt mega charger. I have to get going home for dinner now. Thanks for the links. post more if you can. All I need to know is how to hook them up. Thanks. Latecurtis out.

DA-2 Power On
5 (remote) to 6, 7 or 8 (Ground)

Thought about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24V-5A-120W-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Adapter-for-2-1-2-5mm-LED-Strip-Security-Camera-/201095472554?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item2ed23965aa

Pretty damn cheap, and charges your batteries to 95% capacity, rather than 100%, which would lower the chance of fire (marginally) as well lengthen their life.

Hey LC, you need to read some other posts. You would learn a lot. I read many post about anything that interest me. Like how to build a Trashauler. You could learn a lot if you tried. I could just imagine how may read this thread just to get a laugh. I read many that I just can't believe they asked that question but they did and got a good answer to help them. They don\t give their whole life away, all they want is a simple or a complex one if needed.
Every day I learn something, that I thought I knew differently.

You really shouldn't be taking you chargers with you. That type of chargers are not built for that purpose. Too fragile for the rough ride they will get. Especially over the rear tire. They might live and they may not.

Dan

Pretty damn cheap, and charges your batteries to 95% capacity, rather than 100%, which would lower the chance of fire (marginally) as well lengthen their life.

It sounds real good. How does it work. I will order it if I can hook it up. Does it charge all batteries at once or one at a time. I appreciate quality information.
The balancer I ordered that DA posted I ordered. If I had that earlier like two months ago I could have balanced all 4 batteries prior to hooking them up and I would not have a scorched plug. It sounds good the 95% charge. If it is easy to hook up I will order it. I need to get something up and running. I don't get why all Lipo chargers don't have that feature. If it is good for the battery and makes charging safer then it should be standard for all Lipo chargers.

DA-2 Power On
7 (remote) to 5,6 or 7 (Ground)

Which device are you referring to ?

I can use the 550 watt power supply and mega charger at home exclusively and charge outside so I don't have to watch it. It would make life simpler if I did not have to lug that around. However I still would like something portable to simply top off the batteries when away from home. The library downtown is only about 1.4 miles. I am usually there for about two hours. I understand that a 50 watt charger wont do much. 12 minutes of riding for 2 hours is a waste of time. However 24 minutes would allow me to go to the river about a mile from the library and back home. 100 watts is minimum then for portable charging. So if there is something cheap and portable
that will do that I am all for it. I will order something tomorrow at the library. Please let me know how that thing works Sunder. Thanks. Latecurtis out.

Also I like to charge in my downstairs hallway. especially if it is raining or snowing. The 95% charge thing could be used without watching it?
The lipos will be in the lipo bag and inside the metal box. would that be safe enough or not ?

Sounds like you should want to review the concept of bulk charging!

Power on is "REMOTE" to "GND"
DA-2 Pwr-on.jpg

You have to stop thinking of chargers as having any special features to them.

Electricity is electricity. Only two things matter - voltage and current.

That "charger" simply pushes 24v of power to the battery. When the battery reaches 24v, the battery is pushing 24v back and so when two equal forces push against each other, nothing happens.

I'm now going to caveat that in that most chemistries have can benefit from "smart" charging and so yes, some chargers do have better means of detecting full state, or keeping the life of the battery longer, etc.

In the case of this power supply, it isn't designed to lengthen the life of the battery, it just so happens that it stips pushing before the battery is 100% full, where most of the damage occurs. It's like filling a water balloon. If you fill it 100%, its more likely to burst than if you stop a bit before it.

LiIn setting @ 4.10V per cell, is a lower charged voltage than the Lipo @ 4.20V setting.
Most balance chargers offer these settings.

Both your balance chargers should already offer these options.

400w charge into your 400wh battery is possibly excessive.
Might be safer-better to charge at 200w ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/690V-50A-12-Terminals-3-Positions-Rotary-Cam-Changeover-Switch-/271498386628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f36909cc4

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62231&start=975

6srun and charge.jpg

I got the switch but don't know how to hook it up according to the diagram I made.

LC-polarity.png

DA if I ship the cash box, the Lipo bag, the switch and the 3 parallel cables and series cable and put $40 in the box plus whatever it costs to ship it back can you hook it up and install the switch in the top of the box for me. You may have to replace the expanded plug. Not sure. Mabye you can get it to plug in. Please let me know.

As far as the charging is concerned I have a 200 watt sky charger and 400 watt mega charger. I should be able to use either. The package of 10 balance extenders and the balancer I am still waiting on.

The 4.10 setting is the only one I want to use. No 4.20 settings I hope both chargers have the option. If you think it is better to use the 200 watt sky charger for now I will. I can use the 400 watt mega charger when I get 4 of those 16000mah $124 dollar 6s bricks when I get my SSI settlement. It should be good for those correct. That way Dan did not buy me a charger for nothing.

Please let me know. There is no big hurry as we just got 2 feet of snow here and are getting more. Any suggestions on an electric snow mobile would help now.
(just kidding). I do however need to start saving towards a small lightweight gas powered 4 wheel drive pick up truck for weather like this. Maby some day convert it to electric if I can ever afford it.

Wiring.jpg

Position 0: All wires should have no contact. Charge wires will give the voltage of the first bank (1 & 2), controller wires should have zero voltage

Position 1: Wire 1 should be shorted to wire 3, and Wire 2 should be shorted to wire 4. Charge wires will give the voltage of the 6S packs combined - If the packs are out of balance, this will cause a correction transfer over a very short period.

Position 2: Wire 2 should be shorted with wire 3. Charge wires should show the voltage of the first bank only. Controller wires should show the sum of both packs together - there won't be any balancing when the switch is moved to this position.

It should be noted that this arrangement is not possible with just a single three position switch, as it's not possible to short two pairs of wires, without shorting all 4. Without relays, you will either need a massively complex switching system, or risk a short and the corresponding big sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back