new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't, well ... won't be much help for a 60mph eBike.
Bicycle components are not designed for speeds much past 20-30mph.
Failure of any single part can be fatal ... with probability of failure and injury increasing exponentially with every increment of increased power-speed.

See - 20mph or Bust(ed)

eaBike vs eBike vs eMotorcycle

Have you considered buying a cheap motorcycle (Say a Honda Cub) and ripping out the petrol motor, and replacing it with an electric motor, then ripping out the fuel tank and replacing it with a battery pack?

In that case, you would have to get it registered, but it would also mean cops couldn't hassle you.

It'd be both safer, and I think in the long run, cheaper.

Having said all this, I don't know US custom motor vehicle registration laws. In Australia, you need a certified engineer to check about 120 safety items, but as long as the chassis isn't substantially changed, it's just considered a modified version of whatever your base was, and can be road registered forever after that.

Legal with insurance keeps coppers off your back and helps prevent extended jail time for accidentally hurting or killing someone with an illegal motor vehicle.
If you survive ...
10HP motor is liable to twist a bicycle wheel and frame into origami!

Afraid to hook up a 40A controller? ... Wait till it comes time to hook up the 300A battery-controller!

I'm back. A little more down to earth today. I ordered the third Y balance plug. There has been too much snow to ride an e bike. Over a foot. More coming too I guess. I measured the 550 watt power supply. It wont fit in the metal box. I was thinking about mounting it to the rear frame on the back of the currie on the opposite side of the motor. I don't see any way to keep it dry though. Also the currie has the cheap 36V Chinese controller. 44.4V of Lipo wont work.
I might as well get - 3 SLAs for the currie. I wish there was a way to mount the big power supply to the trek with the front end kit. I could use the 400 watt mega charger and would not have to get another smaller power supply for the 200 watt sky charger.

With the two metal cash boxes on the back rack I could tie a piece of plastic over them or even place them both inside a small plastic storage container with a lid. Portable charging has many advantages. Longer trips are possible as long as there is an outside outlet. Also the battery box would not have to be un mounted and unhooked from the controller and moved to a charging area and hooked up. I could simply drop a 20 foot extension cord from my window and charge the Lipos awhile the bike is locked up to the iron stair rail outside my house. I could then ride it again or bring it inside the hallway for the night.

If I can find a way to mount the 550 watt power supply to the trek and keep it dry I will. If not I will have to order a smaller power supply. I may be able to find a 500 or 550 watt power supply that will fit in the cash box. If so I can use the 400 watt mega charger Dan sent me exclusively. That is my plan for the Trek. I will not give up on portable charging. It makes much more sense to me than doing everything the hard way.

I am pretty sure with that switch that I can leave the controller hooked up all the time and the charger and balancer. The switch has a center position which is off. I don't see any way it could short out looking at its design. As long as the parallel connection and the series connection is accomplished after the switch according to my diagram. If anyone sees a problem please let me or DrkAngel know. He posted the link for the switch and I ordered it. All I know is it has to hook up exactly according to my diagram or it would be a disaster. Fire, smoke and Lipo fire. That is why I am going to pay a professional to hook it up.

As far as a 60+ mph e bike is concerned Liveforphysics boasts a 110 mph e bike on my DC motors over 10 kilowatt post. DrkAngel. Have you had a chance to chat with him at all on this forum. He seems to know what he is doing as you do. Very intelligent like you. He just likes to see how far he can push an e bike.
I feel the same way about it and have little or no interest in going motorcycle. I may due to my inexperience not build a 10 kilowatt e bike just yet and maybe go with that motor Dauntless posted. I need to know the voltage limit on the controller in that package deal for $199. If I can push it to 66.6V then I will probably order it someday. He says it will out perform the 1500 watt brushless motor. DrkAngel. Do you think so too?

Also the 20 inch build wont happen for quite awhile. Months from now. My next build will be the fork motor. Like I said before besides speed I have a few personal preference's as far as e bikes go. One is convenience. That's why I insist on the switch and portable charging with everything mounted permanently
to the bike frame. Also the other feature I am seeking is an e bike that pedals almost as well as a regular lightweight mountain bike. You should not be able to tell the difference between the two pedaling. The best of both worlds and very low profile due to the state laws here.

That is why the fork motor build will be next. I am not spending the extra money for the steel brackets that are 1/4 inch thick. I will be using 1/3 inch thick flat steel which I will get in a - 6 foot length and I will cut and drill the pieces. It will be much stronger than the currie motor upgrade. See page 5 of this post about halfway down. I posted pictures of that mount. Those brackets tend to bend when tightening down. The fork motor build if successful should be a very popular option for any builder seeking similar goals. I just neen a small lightweight motor to pull it off. Thanks. Latecurtis out.

Your cheap Chinese controller has 50V caps.
Balance charge Lipo on Li-ion setting ... to keep charge below 50V.

Should work just fine!

Worse case is paying $13 for replacement. See - eBike Toolbox

LFP has custom built frame ... wheels ... motorcycle components!

LFP has an electric motorcycle. L.C. if you rode it you would be on your ass in two feet. You need a daily rider. So focus on that. A good plug and play battery. That's where you need to start. LFP spent over 6,000usd plus for the death bike. And melts motors and blows up batteries and rips spokes out of rims. Plus not for the street.
It runs on a track for an hour to be work on for two or more. Plus more money.

LC
Amp rating on brushless controller?
30A? 35A? 40A? ?

everything is ordered for the trek with the front kit. waiting on forks. Also if I cut the side of the metal box I can get the 550 watt power supply to slide thru it. Wall-mart has a plastic storage box with a lid I can place the metal boxes in for portable charging. It should be done with the switch and 4 lipos in about two weeks when everything comes in at hobby town. They will hook up the Lipos and the switch. It will be my long range bike. (up to 9 miles) with an 25 foot extension cord in my backpack for recharging anywhere.

My short range pick up truck (the currie) needs 3 SLAs for short range hauling (up to 3 miles) I need 3 15AH SLAs and a cheap 36 volt charger. I got $70 in the bank but having trouble finding anything on e bay with free shipping. If you guys know of anything please post it. I would like to order by tomorrow if possible.. Thanks Latecurtis

44.4V 9Ah(measured capacity) =

10mph = 35 miles range
15mph = 24 miles range
20mph = 16 miles range
25mph = 10 miles range
30mph = 6.5 miles range

Figured for level travel ... no hills ... for either bike.

36 volts for the currie with 3 - 15AH SLAS is the plan. I cant find anything of e bay with free shipping under $20 each.

currie is short range. less than 5 miles maximum 10 to 15 mph. will 15 AH work at 36 volts?

36V x 15Ah SLA ... batteries in new condition.

10mph = 25 miles range
15mph = 16 miles range
20mph = 10 miles range
25mph = 6.5 miles range
30mph = 4 miles range

Figured for level travel ... no hills ...

Either motor - cruising speed.
For LiPo: x.66 for each 5mph increase.

44.4V 9Ah(measured capacity) =

10mph = 35 miles range
15mph = 24 miles range
20mph = 16 miles range
25mph = 10 miles range
30mph = 6.5 miles range

Figured for level travel ... no hills ... for either bike.

35mph = 4.29 miles range
40mph = 2.83 miles range
45mph = 1.86 miles range
50mph = 1.23 miles range
55mph = .81 miles range

No go on those SLAs. There is nothing out there on e bay. Amazon wants a fortune for shipping. I will have to order 2 - 6s lipos for the currie for short range. The 4 Lipos Dan sent are for the trek with the new motor. long range. I think all 4 batteries will fit into one lipo bag. I will use the other lipo bag for the currie I guess. The Y plug came in the mail today. I can now hook up all 4 bricks to the balancer when it comes in. The balancer will balance all 4 bricks so they have equal voltage before hooking up any power bullet connectors in parallel or series for charging correct. If that is true then I should have done that before and I would not have damaged a plug. I am hoping after balancing I can make the plug work somehow without replacing it. I want an AC 6s charger for the currie.
I want to make it more simple to portable charge if I have to. The 4 batteries and two cash boxes and switch are for the trek and long range. They will be replaced someday with 4 - 1600mah $125 deals. That is why I am going thru so much trouble and delays.

The currie is for short range trips. about 3 miles round trip. I will wrap them in a lipo bag and find something small to put them in and mount them where one of the big SLAs were. it will be simple to balance and charge with an AC power supply. I am looking at two $40 bricks from hobby king like the ones dan sent. I will order two more Y balance cabels and a cheap 6s AC charger. The want almost $40 for a single 15 Ah SLA. It is ridiculous. As soon as I get the balancer I should be up and running. I may post later at Dougs house. I want to order the Y plugs and AC charger first. I will have more money next week. I hope I don't have to pay too much for shipping. I have about $80 in the bank now. The bricks I was looking at are $40 each. Please post if you can.

Thanks Latecurtis.

I could just use the 4 bricks for the currie and waite on my SSI for 2 16000mah for the trek. All I need is the balancer. If that will prevent the Lipos from spitting fire at me every time I try to hook them up (two times now) Then I should be up and running. The thing is though the currie only has a 36 volt controller. Will 44.4 volts fry my cheap Chinese controller? I could order a cheap Chinese 48 volt controller. However I paid someone to hook up the 36 volt one. I never hooked one up.

latecurtis said:
... The thing is though the currie only has a 36 volt controller. Will 44.4 volts fry my cheap Chinese controller? I could order a cheap Chinese 48 volt controller. However I paid someone to hook up the 36 volt one. I never hooked one up.
Already answered and explained!

DrkAngel said:
latecurtis said:
... The thing is though the currie only has a 36 volt controller. Will 44.4 volts fry my cheap Chinese controller? I could order a cheap Chinese 48 volt controller. However I paid someone to hook up the 36 volt one. I never hooked one up.
Already answered and explained!

Hey LC, don\t you read or remember the posts from other members?
DA posted that your controller should have 50v caps, so it should be fine on 44v nominal.

I sure hope you realize that the small balancer you bought, will take a week to balance 4 packs, if they are very out of balance.
That is what the BIG balance chargers are for.

Stop drinkin and read more about batteries. And don\t play with batteries if your loaded.

Dan

No I remember about the 50 volt caps. I also remember back when I first took out the currie for a test drive after installing the MY1020 motor and it stopped and I coasted into advanced auto. The motor wire in the controller box melted and shorted out probably when the currie motor burned out. I had to fix it with wire nuts. My question is not whether the controller will operate at 44.4 volts but for how long. I should have specified that.

Also a week is a long time for a balancer to work. But I have waited this long. I will probably only be able to use two bricks at first anyway because of the expanded plug. I just need the currie for short runs anyway. The food pantry is about a mile. the grocery store is 1.3 miles. The gym is 1 mile. It should be good for that. I wish I could trade my 200 watt sky charger I paid $50 for for a 6s AC charger. I am keeping the 400 watt mega charger and 550 watt power supply for the trek. I am still doing the switch deal. I paid for everything including the switch. I have two metal cash boxes and am still waiting on that package of 10 6s balance extenders. I got the three parallel cables and the series cable. Plus I have three Y balance plugs now. I only need the balancer now. I will borrow a parallel cable, a Y balance connector and the series cable to get the currie up and running for less than 3 mile round trips.

The library down town is less than a mile and a half. If I get an AC 6s charger I can charge there awhile I am at the library for two or three hours without hauling a bunch of extra equipment (power supplies and chargers). It will allow me an extra mile or so if I need it. I still owe $80 to the guy who upgraded the currie almost a year ago. I should pay him so he don't take me to court. Also if I make it right with him I know he can hook up the switch. He is an electrical engineer with a Masters degree.
That makes more sense than ordering extra batteries when I already have 4 Lipos. Also Hubert the guy I owe money to can change the plug on the Lipo in a minute.
My question is who wants to trade a 200 watt sky charger for a 50 or 100 watt AC charger. If not I will order one. The sky charger is brand new and I will ship it to who ever has a working AC 6s charger at least 50 watts.

lc, if the gym is only 1 mile away why don't you just walk ,cough cough run there? If you are trying to get in shape start pedaling a regular bike. You will be surprised how that will get you in shape. The easy way out did not get anyone i know in shape. Hard work builds character. Good luck in your endevours. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back