new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This setup will allow me to charge anywhere. There are a lot of outside outlets. Sometimes it is about convenience. I used to do it all the time with the SLA battery pack that came stock with the currie. It is not about re inventing the wheel here. Its about convenience and choices. I can charge anywhere there is an AC outlet easily and quickly. No wasting time plugging and unplugging and setting things up. I can even throw the extension cord outside my window and charge awhile my bike is locked up outside. The cash box has a lock and a handle on the top. I can run a small chain thru the handle and lock everything securely to the bike rack. The only thing anybody can steal is the extension cord. If there is any questions see the picture of both the cash boxes and the switch diagram on this page or the last page on this post. I am not stating that I am smarter than anybody. I am simply stating that I need something that will work for me and it may be a good idea for other ES members who seek portable charging options.

All that is needed to make this work is the switch installed in the side of the cash box, not the top and a smaller power supply for the 200 watt Sky charger. I have a 550 watt power supply Dan sent me and a 400 watt power supply for charging at home. That's fine but I am also looking for portable charging. I will be ordering a smaller 300 watt power supply next month. I know that generous ES members have sent me a lot of things that cost a lot of money and I appreciate that. But I have quite a lot invested in this project also. I am serious about accomplishing this setup. I hope that some other ES members may find my setup useful, safe and very versatile.
Thanks Latecurtis.

Actually there is one more thing that Douge suggested and that is a cooling fan mounted in the bottom of the metal box for operation in hot weather. Doug has a PC fan that would work. I could wire it up to a small 5 Ah SLA battery mounted somewhere. That can happen before summer time.

latecurtis said:
Actually there is one more thing that Douge suggested and that is a cooling fan mounted in the bottom of the metal box for operation in hot weather. Doug has a PC fan that would work. I could wire it up to a small 5 Ah SLA battery mounted somewhere. That can happen before summer time.

You guys don't know the definition of hot. It regularly gets to high 40s here in summer. (Over 115*C for you imperial users - Long live the king! Speaking of which, who is the king of the USA?)

In that kind of weather, my battery comes out of the fridge 10 minutes before I ride, is charged only to 3.9v per cell, rested for 5 minutes to make sure there's no thermal runaway, then back in the fridge.

Since 95% of my trips are between work and home, that works. I don't know what the impact of leaving it out in 48* heat would be going to the shops - especially since a car in the sun can get to about 70*C+ in about 5 minutes.

Sunder said:
You guys don't know the definition of hot. It regularly gets to high 40s here in summer. (Over 115*C for you imperial users - Long live the king! Speaking of which, who is the king of the USA?)

King? We don't brooke no king in the U.S. of A. We had us an Emperor once, Norton I, pictured above and on the $12 bill. We had us a hunta leader, Dubya II, son of Dubya I who wasn't actually a hunta leader. We even have a palace fool who took over, O Duce, as well as a court jester for vice president. But for all that, don't expect to ever see a king of the U.S. of A. We'll stand for a whole lot of wrong doing out of Washington, but we won't stand for no king.

Sunder said:
latecurtis said:

In that kind of weather, my battery comes out of the fridge 10 minutes before I ride, is charged only to 3.9v per cell, rested for 5 minutes to make sure there's no thermal runaway, then back in the fridge.

Since 95% of my trips are between work and home, that works. I don't know what the impact of leaving it out in 48* heat would be going to the shops - especially since a car in the sun can get to about 70*C+ in about 5 minutes.

this is a big problem for the Leaf battery. there was a lawsuit in arizona and southern california over the short cycle life because of the heat. supposedly elon said building a battery without the cooling was the stupidest thing. but it was built by car guys. managers. image people.

[http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=143809*]

Dauntless said:
King? We don't brooke no king in the U.S. of A.

Just a bad joke about your "imperial" system :)

We all have had problems with ebikes. Batteries, controller,motors, wire connectors ect. We all have had great help from E.S. and try to give back. Plus we love to let loose a little. Thanks L.C.

DAND214 said:
At least we are all having fun here :lol:

Dan

That's what these threads are here for, though not everyone realizes it. Sometimes it takes a little extra something to get that message across.

L53iO2l.jpg

[imghttp://m2.uxcell.com/photo_new/20120827/c/ux_a12082700ux0035_ux_c.jpg][/img]

[imghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/690V-50A-12-Terminals-3-Positions-Rotary-Cam-Changeover-Switch-/271498386628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f36909cc4][/img]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/690V-50A-12-Terminals-3-Positions-Rotary-Cam-Changeover-Switch-/271498386628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f36909cc4

I ordered the switch. I don't know if I will get it or not because I just looked and it says it is out of stock. Also I don't know how long it is going to take.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-JST-XH-6S-Lipo-Balance-Wire-Extension-Lead-30cm-for-Dualsky-Align-HexTroni-/151115244204?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232f2ba2ac

Ordered those balance extensions also

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26136__Turnigy_DLUX_LIPO_Battery_Cell_Display_and_Balancer_2S_6S_.html

Will I need this. I am not bulk charging I don't think. Not with a 6s charger. I am going to charge with the switch hopefully if they ship it. Will this balancer help me with the switch set up or not?
I will order it if it will. The 4mm series connector and 3 parallel connectors are all sitting on my kitchen table.

I read the description on the device. I am going to go ahead and order it. If I don't get the switch then this device should balance the four bricks before hooking them all up in parallel to charge. I was not lying about the scorched plug on the one Lipo. It was caused by simply hooking the negative of one brick to the positive of a second. I was attempting to hook up the controller at Dougs house a few weeks ago. Doug was my witness. There was some sparking. The plug lit up and now it wont plug in.

I don't want any more burnt plugs. Im not scared to hook them up as I did not get a shock then. I just don't want to burn any more plugs. I don't even have that plug replaced yet. If that device really works and balances all four bricks then I should not need a switch. I ordered one anyway and will use it if I can get someone to hook it up when I get the plug fixed. If I don't get the switch I should be able to balance all four bricks and hook them up manually until I do get a switch. I am ordering the device now.

Thanks. Latecurtis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ideal-RC-2s-6s-Lipo-Li-Fe-Battery-Balancer-LCD-Voltage-Meter-Tester-/311049398677?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486bfd2995

I ordered this one. I have to create an account with Hobby king if I want to order direct from them. Also e bay has free shipping. Plus I can log on as a guest and ordering is easy. It is all just a big waiting game at this point. Even if I do get the switch first I am waiting for the balancer. I want all voltages to be equal before hooking anything up. I don't want any more scorched plugs. It is ridiculous. If I were not so sick and tired of the heavy SLAs I would order them. I cant live with all that dead weight on my bike though. I was going to order 4 - 15Ah SLAs for the currie but I am going to wait and see how this balancer works. I am going to hook the 3 - beat 22AH SlAs back up to the currie today. I am hoping it can make one more trip to the food pantry next week for 60 pounds of food. I have not heard from Dan. I don't know if he is sending me those steel forks or not. I hope so. For now the trek with the front end kit is out of commission. However its future looks good as I spent quite a lot of money ordering everything I should need to finally run Lipo with it when I get forks.

I bought a digital camera last night also. I left it at my friends house last night drinking. I will pick it up tomorrow. I am also picking up a decent desk top today. I will be able to take pictures of everything together when everything I ordered comes in. Next month sometime I would imagine as slow as the mail is. Thanks. Latecurtis out.

got confirmation on both orders. ETA feb 4 for balancer and feb 10 for switch. That is the latest ETA. not the early ETA. I should be good. Thanks again guys for keeping this post alive.

Latecurtis out.

Latecurtis wrote,
I have not heard from Dan. I don't know if he is sending me those steel forks or not. I hope so. For now the trek with the front end kit is out of commission. However its future looks good as I spent quite a lot of money ordering everything I should need to finally run Lipo with it when I get forks.

I asked you last week. What is the lenght of the steering tube?

I said why send it if it's too short? Others words was I won't send it if I don't know if it will fit.

Dan

115 mm steering tube head tube is 1/1/8 thread less standard. I am at doug's house now on my PC. I just paid it off but going to leave it here for awhile so I can get online. Doug will change the forks if they will fit. I hope they will fit.

1999 trek 930 single track 1/18 thread less. aftermarket Aheadset.

Also Dan I will need the correct Y balance connector. You sent me two. I will need a third one so I can hook up all four bricks you sent to the balancer I ordered. I looked on e bay at one but all three ends were male I think. Not sure it is correct. I think the two ends need to be female right. You would know. Please post a link. I need to order it. Everything else is ordered. I can order it as soon as you post a link. Thanks again for everything Dan. Sincerely Latecurtis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back