Newbie Questions

antonbj3 said:
However, the folding function is a quality that is hard to quantify. I've travelled with it on Trains and such and had a really good time using it to explore this summer.
Yeah, there's that. I have a very good commuter bike - but I ride my folding Brompton as much, if not more than, the road bike. Because it can go anywhere. I used to leave it at work so I could ride around at lunchtime.

If you want to keep this, then let us know how much you want to spend. If you want to sell it and get a better one, then get the cheapest controller you can find and call it a day.

antonbj3 said:
However, the folding function is a quality that is hard to quantify. I've travelled with it on Trains and such and had a really good time using it to explore this summer.

But fat tire folders are several times bulkier than regular folding bikes when they're folded. When they come into the shop, they're in the way whether folded or unfolded. A non-folding, full sized regular bike actually fits better indoors.

All the features of small wheel, fat tire folding e-bikes work against each other's benefits. By trying to incorporate all the items on non-cyclists' wish lists, they fail to be good at anything.

antonbj3 said:
Sounds to me like you do have a technical solution in mind? I'd be interested to hear it.

Although I don't have the soldering skills or gear(although gear is easy to get), I'd be interested to know what you'd suggest if I in fact had the skills and gear.

Nope, same advice.

antonbj3 said:
The amount really is flexible. I am interested in all things that increase resale value in proportion to the upgrade cost. Extra Large Capacity Battery, Total Range, Watt, these are things the average consumer understand.

If this is what it boils down to, don't repair or upgrade. If you need to pay someone to change out the components, then that will cut into the profits from your business. You will never get back more than you invest, so if the bike isn't for you then just sell it as-is.

antonbj3 said:
...if I'm already spending 250USD for a 20Ah Battery...
At that price for that capacity, almost guaranteed to be subsatisfactory. Cutting corners, either substandard cells, substandard assembly, substandard materials, false ratings, or all or any combination of these.

Counterfeit cells and battery ripoffs abound in this game, unfortunately. :(

Truly "good" deals on batteries are extremely few and far between.

My advice? Given your stated constraints, replace failed controller w/ a stock unit, and enjoy the bike as it is until you sell it. As stated previously, it is neither a very efficient nor high quality nor high performing machine, but it does have certain qualities you find attractive, and you may discover it grows on you enough to decide to invest more in it in the future (regardless of being able to easily recoup the added investments at selling time). The added enjoyment over x/time may be recompensation enough.

99t4 said:
Truly "good" deals on batteries are extremely few and far between.

Salvage is where the best value lies, in my experience.

antonbj3 said:
He00ebd18125f46d4bc1f23722b264fbfV.jpg

This is the bike in question.

My ebike journey started earlier this year with a very similar model 8)

1F8A5A36-DAF7-418A-8A42-0414F4F163A2.jpeg

So far I have really enjoyed it but now it's a completely different animal :mrgreen:

unless used batteries from hybrid cars
so batteries built from example Chevy Volt battery modules.
so they have a value when they come from low millage hybrids.
I ride my two ebikes powered by packs built from Volt cells.

Ok show me the sliding scale price list on used batteries, Time and Cycles vs value.

Not saying that we don't buy used batteries. Have some used batteries on the way now. It's just buyer beware that you maybe buying nothing of use or get years out of them. Just no way to know how good they are.

Can not buy new batteries, use them, then try to recoup your expense.

I should not have said they have no value they have a perceived value like art or diamonds that has no value to me outside of the industry.

I'm seriously thinking about adding another 1500-3000wh to my ebike and used ev batteries are reasonably priced with what looks like a seller who knows what they are doing.
But on other side of country with a good shipping price.
I need to make a list of ev vehicles and what battery module's they use (volts/ah per module) to do a proper search.
Size is important to fit the bike as some are just to large unless I bring along my bicycle trailer.
What do you do to achieve LVC? Controller?
I have 36V controller, 36V battery with no lvc, 52V with bms lvc and looking at 48v+ ev modules.

miro13car said:
unless used batteries from hybrid cars
so batteries built from example Chevy Volt battery modules.
so they have a value when they come from low millage hybrids.
I ride my two ebikes powered by packs built from Volt cells.

markz said:
What do you do to achieve LVC? Controller?
I have 36V controller, 36V battery with no lvc, 52V with bms lvc and looking at 48v+ ev modules.

You could use one of these low voltage cutoffs, driving a high amp relay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313689214307
s-l400.jpg

That, plus an active balancer, plus a charger that will never exceed the max pack voltage, would give you the functions that matter from a BMS.

Back