Newbie to this forum (today) but I wanted to put my 2-cents

Newbie to this forum (today) but I wanted to put my 2-cents in on my own Phantom X2 (August 1, 2012):

(See a few photos at http://www.RickshawRecords.com/phantomx2)

I paid full list price ($1399) in July, 2012 for a Prodeco Phantom X2 through an eBay dealer, so I wouldn't have to wait the notoriously long time for a Prodeco delivery.

It took 10 days to arrive in CA, but it finally arrived. I chose to have it held for pickup at the local FedEx Office store, so I wouldn't have to worry about being home to sign for it when it arrived. Good choice.

It's advertised as nearly ready to ride - just install the handlebars and seat, but my front wheel was individually packed, and I had to install it too.

Before I get to the details, the bike didn't work when I turned it on.
I did some troubleshooting (and lots of swearing) for about an hour, and finally figured-out that the battery unit itself had the polarity flipped on its output plug. Positive was negative, and vice-versa. I sent emails to the eBay dealer, who simply responded "Oh no... I'll have a Prodeco tech call you." (No other response.) I called Prodedco in the morning, and they had never heard of this problem happening. Luckily for them, I am handy with a soldering iron, so I asked if I could just open the battery and swap the terminals. They agreed under warranty, I did it, and the bike runs fine now. They're supposedly sending me some "free stuff" for fixing it myself.
Now, if this same problem had happened to someone unfamiliar with electronics, they would have had to return the entire bike to Prodeco. Without a meter, there's no way a Prodeco technician could have known if it was a bad bike circuit or battery. I saved them $$Hundreds in shipping, I'll see what they send me.

Inside the battery case is an integrated controller, a fuse, integrated red-LED tail light, and battery status button on the top. All packed-in with foam.

Now, the bike:
Mine weighs 62 lb, fully assembled, with the battery - twice as heavy as my 1990's Trek 800. It has typical Chinese-quality paint and welding... Beefy joints, but not the beautiful, smooth fillets of a typical high-quality weld, and not an awesome paint job. It visually reminds me of budget Home Depot patio furniture, but beefier. I'll keep mine out of the wet weather. It also has an (old?) Phantom X sticker - not the Phantom X2 sticker in the promo photos.

The rims and uni-directional Continental "Traffic" tires seem really light. My rear spokes have a peculiar bend on them, like the motor was rotated in the wheel when installed in the rim. (Cause for concern?? Please see the photos at the link above.) On the brakes, I had to manually true (gently bend) the front disc to keep it from intermittent contact, and adjust the rear calipers per the instructions. It would have helped me if there were photos of the parts they were telling me to adjust. These are my first set of disc brakes, and I wasn't familiar with the terminology.

After adjustment, the bike runs great. I bought it because I have a 7-mile commute with 300+ foot, steep elevation changes on both ends (hill, valley, hill), Even though the motor claims 500W I still have to pedal my 175-lb body in low gear with full-throttle up the steepest sections. I was hoping it would carry me without pedaling, but it doesn't. However, my hills are steep (12-15% grade).
On the flat, level straightaways I'm doing ~23MPH pedaling, (clocked by time/distance) and even a radar speed limit sign outside my neighborhood got me at 22MPH.

Speed Wobbles: I almost learned the hard way that this bike is laterally unstable riding no-hands. I'm coming from the world of fixed, non-adjustable front forks, and I can ride for days without hands. At about 10MPH with no hands, my bike developed a gigantic speed wobble, and I caught it just in time. I've been carefully "testing" it, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike has a peculiar feel - like a fish swimming - something that I've never felt in a bike before. Maybe it's the aft center-of-gravity, maybe its the shocks on the front forks, I don't know. I'm un-comfortable at speed without BOTH hands on the bars.

I thought the Prodeco was a pedal assist option. It is not. (My mistake.) It is a variable power thumb throttle, which you have to manually kept pressed down for power to flow. Thumb gets tired (Waaah!) but the biggest issue is that you can't take your right hand off the handlebars if you are throttling. My hands need the occasional shake to get the blood flowing. (Again, Waaah!)

The water bottle mounting points on the top of the frame are offset slightly. The front one is right on top of the frame, and the rear one is about 12:30, making it kinda crooked in relation to the frame. (Attention to detail.)

Finally, the rubber grips are not well-mounted. On a long ride, the glue(?) softens-up, and the grips "migrate" on the handlebars, to the point of them starting to move several mm towards the ends of the handlebars. Not falling off, but loose, and "migratory." I have to press them back towards the center several times on each ride.

It came with the Phantom X manual because the X2 manual is not finished yet, and not yet available online. It also has a nifty, yet Chinese-cheap "Swiss army" style bike-specific tool kit, and a 3-way hex wrench for the basic adjustments.

I bought it to get past the crazy 150' tall, 15% grade hill immediately outbound from my house, so I could start riding again on the flatter areas nearby. That seems to be working. I love the speed.

Overall, this bike is going to get me out riding again. I had thought about selling my TREK, but maybe I'll keep it for the future... Once I'm back in shape!

- Rickshaw
San Diego, CA USA

(moderator edit: moved this separate review out of someone else's review)

I've been carefully "testing" it, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike has a peculiar feel - like a fish swimming - something that I've never felt in a bike before. Maybe it's the aft center-of-gravity, maybe its the shocks on the front forks, I don't know. I'm un-comfortable at speed without BOTH hands on the bars.

Maybe it's the steering geometry, in which case you are stuck with it, but it could also be down to over tight headset bearings. Worth checking it out.

wow.. finally a real prodeco review from a non phantom(vendor)member..

the no-hands issues are likely caused by head angle geometry, the frame flops when you turn making it impossible for you to body steer. non-neutral...

50yearold guy, i bet the factory cross threaded the axle nut if anything, as a 50 year old experienced wrencher you know better than to use a wrench to start a nut lol.... but the assembly line worker likely is working too slow to keep up witht he belt and has to cut corners..

the entire prodeco thing just stinks..

Ebikes are fun, even a crappy one... a proper ebike is way fun.... and enjoyable to ride and pedal... a quality kit installed on a high end bicycle rocks... and a 2000w+ lithium powered ebike on lipo is a grin inducing menace you never go away from for life!

went back and looked at the pictures.. looks like the shifter is pushed too far into the bend of the handlebars causing it to seperate at the seam... or a rejected batch from shimano ..

the spokes are quite typical, large diameter hub with thick spokes and crossing means bending, not a huge deal as long as the rim runs true and spokes are tight and remain tight ( check them regularly )

welds on the head tube look better than i expected .. :lol:

Ypedal said:
went back and looked at the pictures.. looks like the shifter is pushed too far into the bend of the handlebars causing it to seperate at the seam... or a rejected batch from shimano ..

the spokes are quite typical, large diameter hub with thick spokes and crossing means bending, not a huge deal as long as the rim runs true and spokes are tight and remain tight ( check them regularly )

welds on the head tube look better than i expected .. :lol:

I don't think they are that bad either. Not a show bike, but those look clean enough.

The " speed wobble " cant ride with no hands thing is the headset adjustment, yours is slightly tight. I believe these headsets are unique in the in the sense they only have 1 locknut. Theres the sealed bearing, a locknut, a spacer & a compression cap. You can adjust it where you can ride it no hands & the bike feels better but it's not easy. You got to back off on the locknut just a tad , you have to find the spot where theres no slop/play & the handlebars swing free & easy while the bikes on the centerstand & also you can ride no hands. When you cant ride with no hands due to the headset being too tight the bikes not fun or natural feeling, also I think it's dangerous . This was my first issue with these bikes,

I've ridden my Prodeco Phantom X2 for about 10 days now, so here's a very lengthy, detailed update.

28 Mile Ride:
I had planned a 28 mile roundtrip, out and back, on one of the hottest days so far this Summer. The recently published Phantom X2 spec says Distance: 30-40 miles. So I figured I could go 15 miles pedaling all the way, take a break for 30 minutes, then get most - if not all - the way back home. I made it there - 20 miles with a few detours (Route: http://goo.gl/maps/WHABO) in 1 hour and 20 minutes (15 MPH avg.), including a couple minutes to pop my chain back on after it derailed downshifting up a hill. I pedaled the whole way. Not Olympic cyclist pedaling, but average-Joe pedaling as if I were going 10-12 MPH on a regular mountain bike on flat ground... However, San Diego is not flat. It is ALL hills and valleys. After my 30-minute rest, I checked the indicator on the battery, and it was not "full." It was at 2/3 LED's. (Really, 1/2 - the 3rd LED is red and says "empty".) Charging it for 30 minutes at my destination would have given me about 8% of a full charge - about 2 extra miles. I figured I was halfway through my ride. I'd get back...

...But the battery died just 3 miles into my return trip, (23 miles total) leaving me about 11 miles from home. It didn't noticeably lose power over time, it just stopped assisting me up a hill cold turkey. Uh-Oh.

The 62-lb Phantom X2 is a BEAST on hills when you have a dead battery and you're not a well-trained cyclist. I made it another 4 miles walking up hills and pedaling slowly on the flats. I had to be rescued by my wife and kids about 7 miles from my home. A disappointment yes, but a little silver lining: There was a rose thorn in my front tire, and upon removal, it hissed and ran flat.

My opinions of my Prodeco Phantom X2 after 10 days and about 100 miles:
  • - I wish it had a higher 7th gear. At speed, on flat-level road, I am pedaling too fast at 22 MPH.
    - I wish it was lighter. I cannot pedal it up my local 600-foot long 15% grade without full power, and it is too heavy/awkward for me to carry it up 2 flights of stairs at work - I use the elevator.
    - The paint is not scratch resistant - I leaned it against my stucco house, and it scratched my paint to the metal. (Photo at the link in my previous post.)
    - The spring-loaded "variable power" thumb-throttle is hard to control between Off and Full. Keeping it "in-between" is nearly impossible if you're pedaling and bracing yourself against the handlebars for support. My throttle does nothing for the first 40-50%, then it kicks in. 60% travel of the thumb switch, for 0-100% power, and I notice only 2 settings - Low and Hi. There may be more levels but like I said, it is nearly impossible to hold it steady in-between. For me, it's basically full-on, or completely off.
    - This is a short-commute, 20-mile roundtrip bike. If you are not in great shape, do not run out your battery. I will not be planning 30 mile roundtrips again, and I will be hesitant to take it out farther than 10 miles from a charger. I may contact them about replacing this battery because of the original manufacturing defect.
    - The battery indicator on the battery is not a reliable indicator of power remaining. After 1 hour of charge, it indicated "full" - but took another 5 1/2 hours before the charger turned from red to green, so it was likely only 15% full.
    - No matter what you have read or seen in marketing about the charge time, the charger that came with my Phantom X2 is NOT a 2-hour charger or even a 4-hour charger. I ran the battery completely dead and it took 6 hours and 25 minutes to charge. The charger gets VERY HOT to the touch. I can pick it up gently, but it's too hot to grip tightly with my hand.
    - I used to think regenerative braking would be a waste, but I now wish this bike had it. A simple push-to hold switch for steep hills where you have to stop at the bottom. Maybe a switch that plugs between the quick-release motor connector? (Sounds like a mod for after the warranty??)
    - I am concerned that my battery polarity issue (see previous post) may have compromised my battery and/or throttle circuit. It does not perform as well as I had been lead to believe.
If nothing else, this bike has enabled my 43-year old, family dad, desk-job body to start bike riding again, which was the whole point of my purchase. That probably would have happened with a $600 low-end hub/battery kit, but not as often, or as fast, or as far, or as easy, or as fun. Either way, I'm out riding again. I am not a dedicated daily cyclist and I only have a 7-mile commute, but my car now seems utterly huge and inefficient.

Quality:
Prodeco is marketing these as "Built in the USA" but nearly all (if not totally all) the parts are Made In China, and to me, it shows.* Prodeco bikes are not "MADE IN USA" That is a completely different legal description, and I think Prodeco's marketing may be intentionally trying to mislead buyers that their products are USA-made, when they absolutely are not.
I understood this going in, and I was not confused or disappointed by it, when the bike arrived. Your experience may vary.
Prodeco has targeted the X2 for the mid-high level, rather than another low-end e-Bike. Powerful batteries & motors, beefy frame, disc brakes, simple, effective shifting. (You've seen the converse of this: Cheap everything, just to meet a $600 price tag... But that's not the feeling I get from my Phantom X2.) It is not a $3K professional e-bike, but I'm not worried that the frame will break with average on-road use. I am a little concerned that the less-expensive subsystems like brakes, pedals, shocks, battery and headset will probably wear-out or fail faster than I expect. (Pay now or pay later?)

I could not afford (or justify) a $3K high-end e-bike, so for the $1400 I paid for the X2, I feel like I did good for the money. (However, "good for the money" is not the same as "good".) The complaints I've read about customer support are expected in a company that has grown so fast they cannot maintain stock of their products. The technician who helped me seemed genuinely concerned about my reversed battery polarity issue, but after I fixed it myself, they sent me only a cheap handlebar bag, which I already had from the eBay Auction. Overall, I'm fairly happy so far, but I didn't have a bad experience waiting 5 months for an order. (The eBay dealer had them in stock.)

Prodeco's supply chain is likely at the mercy of Chinese suppliers, who they do not control. (Quality, Price, Speed: Pick 2) I'm happy that Prodeco has taken the leap into mid-priced e-bikes, but they may have overhyped their products, underestimated the US market, and bitten off more than they can chew. In my brief experience so far, the $1400 Prodeco Phantom X2 brings about $999 of value, with about $400 of premium for in-stock delivery, rather than the 5 month wait. (Read: This is what I expected from a $1000 e-bike.) If I had waited for 5 months and paid $1400, I think I would have been upset with the Prodeco Phantom X2.

- Rickshaw

* I don't know how to really pinpoint my impression of Chinese imports without appearing arrogant, but the attention to detail and longevity is noticeably bad in almost every Chinese import I've ever touched... E-bikes, power tools, party supplies, microphones, etc. I usually forego instant gratification and save-up for weeks or months to buy quality products, because I find myself now expecting something "Made in China" to be temporary and full of cut-corners, not robust and complete... My Phantom X2 seems a bit above average, but I got what I paid for... And not much more.

Call them & exchange the battery I was doing 30miles with my 9AH battery 195lb 50 yr. old Man windy long Island Days.

20 miles on a charge ( 36v 10ah ) is typical... ( 10 to 15 wh/mile )

the LED handlbar display is just a bad joke, those were meant for SLA and sucked at that too... but lithium packs retain a very flat voltage curve and will show yellow light for 70% of the trip then drop flat at the end. You really need a joulemeter ( cycle analyst, watt's up, doc wattson etc.. to tell you exacely how much energy you have used since your last charge in actual digital numbers.. this is a must imo if you are going to go near the limits of the pack )

an eZee kit with 14ah LiMn and CA from ebikes.ca would run you nearly 2000$ and you still have to supply the bicycle to install it on.. differences in the experience are night and day... what you got is what you paid for....

I would not want to pedal my A2B Metro very far without power, it's a beast, pre-builts are like that.

my Schwinn with E-bikekit geared mini-motor and 36v Lipo i can easily pedal in contrast..

My norco Chaos ( 1200~1500$ bicycle in it's day ) is heavy, but rock solid at 100v going 65 kph over pot holes, i can run off a curb without even blinking an eye, the suspension just soaks it up, i set it as a single speed ( removed front defaulleur and put a BMX freewheel on the back ) .. pedals well on at 15 kph, smooth and quiet, not so much fun on a hill.. but i never run out of juice on this bike , it's my daily commuter for the past 5 years.

you usually get what you pay for.. 8)

Ypedal, the Phantomx2 has a 12 AH battery, Prodeco claims 30-40 miles per charge which is about right I bet, I used to pedal a lot though I admit but got over 30 Miles many times when I had my Prodeco with the 9AH, this fellows battery came delivered wired wrong & he had to fix it himself { freaking imagine that after plunking down 1400 bucks ? wow } anyways I think he should hold prodeco's feet to the fire here & I bet a non defective battery will perform better for him. From all my critcsims with Prodeco's the range wasnt one of them

getting 30 miles on 9ah ( at 36v ) is only done by pedaling a LOT with properly inflated tires on fairly level ground and not too much wind..

there is no magical dust in any of these bikes.. i can manage 10 wh/km with no pedaling, carefull use of throttle with a CA on the handlebars to keep me in the zone...

I can get this 10wh/km on my KMX trike, A2B Metro, 100v Chaos, e-BMX, etc etc etc... + or - 1~2 wh/km...

Ride on sub 30 psi tires, weigh more than 200 lbs, brake pads rubing, road surface, wind, all those can quickly add up to much different range per charge.

edit : however, i can burn 80+ wh/km the same trike acting like a maniac !!! :twisted:

What it is the prodeco models like the phantoms, Storms & Genisis have tall tires & big wheels, helps with speed & range, your Metro is the is a nice quality bikes but small tire designs dont give you same range & top end

50yearoldebiker said:
your Metro is the is a nice quality bikes but small tire designs dont give you same range & top end

Says who ?

the motor is wound for a faster rpm/v to compensate, the gearing allows pedalilng comfortably at 36v in top gear, i hate the tire profile but they roll nice... and i get my 10 wh/km just like all other bikes.

so doesn't the fact the motor is wound for higher RPM to compensate the gearing = more load on the battery which = less range ?

Anything that increases the magnet speed in the motor is a good thing. Going to a smaller wheel using the same hub, and compensating with higher voltage to keep the same top-speed will lower the amp-draw from the battery. Going to a smaller wheel and then using a different winding to keep the same top-speed at the same voltage is good too, but not as good as throwing a higher voltage into the mix.

Watts = Volts X Amps, but...not all watts are the same. Higher amps X lower watts is the same power in theory, but if you raise the amps (while keeping the watts the same) a lot of battery capacity is turned into heat instead of propulsion.

Also, when drawing too many amps at once, you will not get the same battery capacity. Lower amp-draw (by buying a bigger battery?) will provide the maximum actual Amp-hours, compared to the watt-hours on the batteries label.

spinningmagnets said:
Also, when drawing too many amps at once, you will not get the same battery capacity. Lower amp-draw (by buying a bigger battery?) will provide the maximum actual Amp-hours, compared to the watt-hours on the batteries label.

more accurately, less voltage sag = good.

Ypedal said:
...i hate the tire profile but they roll nice... and i get my 10 wh/km just like all other bikes.

What's your beef with the tire profile? Kenda Kraze, right? I have the 26x3.0 version on my MTB and I'm very happy with it. I wish I could get more of them somewhere.

Chalo

Hi, Newbie here too! Just got my Phantom X2 about 10 days now and out of the box.
I had/have a few issues with the bike:
1. My chain is riding on the kickstand most of the time. I emailed about this to customer support and they have in the works a new kickstand that will fix that issue.
2. After a few days of riding it, my kickstand touches the tire a tab and makes a noise as I am riding, I can touch the kickstand a little and it will clear the tire, but both sides are just a hair from touching the tire.
3. If you fold the bike, the front caliper hits the rear rotor and if you let this hit too hard, I am sure you will bend the rear rotor. So when I pack in the back of my truck, I have to place the packing foam between the two to keep them from touching.
4. I ordered the air pump since it said it was "frame mount", where the heck does it mount. Prodeco said it should have came with mounting hardware to mount where the bottle holder goes. Does this mean I got to pick either the bottle holder or the air pump?
5. On my first weekend out in the woods, I had a great time with it since this was a lighter bike then my other e-bike that I built. Maybe I am a little ruff with it, I am not sure, but I came back home only to find I cracked the battery connector on the bike. Customer service said they will send me a replacement connector. Glued it back together until I get the replacement part.
6. Tonight, I hit the trails this evening and I started hearing my battery rattle, I stopped and check and it was still mounted okay as far as I could tell, it was dark and really could not see all that well. Coming off the trails and over the curb on to the road I lost power, I reached to the back to check the battery and I found it was loose and about to fall off. While still in motion I managed to get a hold of the battery from the back and put it under my arm and came to a stop. Confused, and re-docked the battery and carefully went home. Got home to find that I broke the mounts on the battery, front right rail and the rear catch gone. I think that last drop over the curb and on to the road did it in. :( crap!
7. I ordered just about all the extra that came with the bike, so I thought based on JGS Bikes web site. Well no a smart idea. The optional handlebar grips do not fit with the speed shifter.
8. Again, I order all the options per the web site, so I got folding pedals. Well If I had known, it already comes with folding pedals.
9. Again, ordered options, the kickstand, and guess what, the bike comes with a kick stand too. I have tried to contact JGS Bikes, but they do not return emails, or phone calls as of yet and they had all weeks to do so.
10. The Saddle bag, I got it, but I didn't think that it fits since the battery goes in about the same place, or you have to be really tall have the seat way up there. I kind a figured it was a waste of money if you are too short or do not know how to fit the bike to the rider right like me. Okay, I now have the seat in the right place for my body size, and the saddle bags fits.

Right now, my main issue is with the battery mount being broken and I am sure it was from me hitting the ruff trailed and flying off the curb on to the road. But this is a "mountain bike" shouldn't I be able to be a little ruff on the bike?

I posted a few pictures on the web at https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102659120948896270569/albums/5775957138675807889

With the grips you may have to loosen the gear shifter { small allen key } & loosen the brake levers { also allen key } & reposition them inwards on the handlebars to make room, the originals are OK why even bother ? I had to shim my kickstand with a spacer, glad to see Prodeco is sending you a new one. I can tell these bikes may not be trail bikes, theyre just not made to be ridden hard but they do advertise them as trail bikes & have a warranty for 2 years so in theory you should be set, my issue with them which was the straw that broke the camels back is they didnt stand behind the warranty. Nice people like you spent hard earned $ on a Prodeco & I hope you get your issues ironed out & am satisfied with the product, I personally have a bad feeling/taste in my mouth about this company good luck, god bless :)

I can't address your model-specific issues except to note that most ready-made e-bikes are nasty junk quality items. Caveat emptor.

ZWolf said:
I ordered the air pump since it said it was "frame mount", where the heck does it mount. Prodeco said it should have came with mounting hardware to mount where the bottle holder goes. Does this mean I got to pick either the bottle holder or the air pump?

Most bottle boss mounted mini pump brackets are designed to sandwich between the frame and the bottle cage, with the pump sitting off to the side of the bottle. You might need longer bolts to accomplish this.

Chalo

Back