Nine Continents 9C verses Hightekbikes 10H

Status
Not open for further replies.
No hard data, lot's of spin. That's the way mass media works these days, pure propaganda...
My god, HTB_Terry, this forum does not deserve this. People (at least here) are smarter than you think. Give us real data, not spin, please...

I find this thread pretty funny now.

I seems the message is dont buy 9c but buy 9c 4th generation? Dont buy them or buy them!

Well, I'm not into building with 9C right now. But if I would, I'd want to know the truth about performance data of all the motors available. I don't buy bullshit, I want tests and reviews, data sheets and full specs.

This confusion is not any incitative to buy. Wait and see, until reliable info is available.

Gee Wiz, a flakey poofter don't get no respect here atall. :shock: You guys are far too harsh. It instantly drives away all the light entertainment. Offering free dyno tests and all, is over the top. NEXT :mrgreen:

Oh my goodness, I was wondering if there would be any responses to this post. I wasn't expecting this :)
Hey guys, don't be shy, tell me how you really feel ! :D

I guess that title was a bit provocative, it looks like I hit a nerve. This motor is probably the best kept secret in the ebike world. With all the hype and hoopla about the 9C, it gets lost in the noise. So the purpose of the post to was to grab some attention and let people know about this superior alternative to the 9C. It's handy to reference a model name for a product so I hereby pronounce the name of our DD motor to be the "Power Cruiser" with the numerical designation of 10H (10 for the 10" diameter and H for Hightekbikes)

I just read the comments, looks like some people have an axe to grind (thou protest too much!). I do respect the opinions of the elders on here and will respond to some valid points that were made.

First, I should give some of my background info for people who are reading this and don't know me. Like most forums, there are always a few blowhards full of hot air who don't know what the hell they are talking about. When someone makes a major announcement like this, they need to have some cred. I own Hightekbikes and have been in the business for five years. I have been an electronics engineer for twenty years including five at Cisco Systems, the biggest network company in the world. I worked in Silicon Valley for several years where companies take their intellectual property rights very serious. They spend millions on research and development and there is no way they will let some other company steal their designs. When a company releases a product, it should be something new, or an improvement on whats out there, not a copy of something. That's where I'm coming from. I go to China at least once a year and visit the factories and go to the trade shows. I am very familar with the Chinese ebike industry. I've tested about 50 motors over the years, taking them apart and abusing them. When I make a statement it's based on experience, test results, and long term use.

As an aside, someone mentioned something about our selling the Aotema and the company Wilderness Energy. So I will relate this bit of motor trivia. I have to hand it to WE because they found a good company and great motor. They were one of the first, if not the first, to sell large quantities of motor kits and deserve some recognition. They sell a brushed version and a brushless, sensored version. We were the first to introduce the sensorless version to the market. I am not sure but maybe they are selling the sensorless version now. They did not design this motor and it was a stock item. Further they did not have an exclusive agreement with Aotema. In fact HTB has partnered with another company to form Aotema-USA which has exclusive rights to distribute the Aotema motor worldwide. The written contract does grandfather in WE and has no affect on them, so everyone is happy. That's how we do business, proper and legal.

Getting back to the Nine Continents, not to belabor the point but some people are not making the distinction so I will spell this out once and for all, and for the last time. Two years ago 9C was one of a hundred 2-bit factories eking out a living buying off the shelf parts, assemblling them and selling to the China market. Then company A here in the states approached them about producing a new motor for the USA market. Company A spent thousands of dollars and many months designing the 9C maotor as we know it today. Company A gathered components from other companies and these were sent to 9C for packaging. So this was an exclusive kit designed and funded by company A. Nine Continents got greedy and later violated their agreement with company A by selling the kit to company B and C. Do you get it now? I should also correct myself about them making updates and how far behind they are. I have have been informed by knowledgeable sources that the motor has had an update since the original version, and they will continue to update it. No designer? No problem. Here's how it works. Every six months Company B here in the States, buys a kit from company A and sends it to China. After arriving at the 9C factory it goes to the "copy room" where it is examined. Six months later, wala! a new version is released. This is not a big deal in China, it happens all the time. The problem is that you can look and measure all you want, but you will miss a lot of things like subtle differences in the shape of the stator, coil properties, etc. Designing motors is a science. If you don't know the calculations and simulations that went into the design, the copy will never be as good as the original. So they end up being 6 to 12 months behind. Anyway, I don't want to get off into the soap opera aspects, I wanted to stick to the technical arguments.

Some of the advantages of the 10H over the 9C:

1. Thicker wire in the windings and the leads. This keeps the heat down and provides more torque, allowing for more range/power from battery.
2. The rim is offset so that no dishing is required. 9C did copy this, but theirs is still offset somewhat.
3. Eliminated the angled/crooked spoking issue with the 9c motors. This can be an issue with broken spokes.
4. Changed the outer ring (where the magnets are embedded) to a specific type of steel. This was an excellent upgrade as the motors have 5-6% less drag and about 50% more torque when under power,
5. Designed the motors to accept disk brakes standard ISO. Again 9c tried to copy 6 months later but their design is a bit different and the disc does not fit as well.
6.Covers are reinforced with a sort of buttress design minimizing the the buzzing sound characteristic of the 9C

A few people criticized this post as a crass, fumbling attempt at marketing, shooting yourself in the foot yada yada. Sorry guys, you're not getting it. I'm not going to come on here knocking a competitor in the hopes of selling a few motor kits. What I saw was a motor (9C) being hyped and promoted as the best motor out there when in fact it is an inferior copy, while at the same time seeing the superior original design lying in obscurity. I felt compelled to speak out and set the record straight. Some people don't want you to know and want to keep the status quo because they are profiting from the situation. They will rant and rave and attempt to obscure. I'm a big boy, I can take the criticism. I think this is the best forum in the world for technical discussions and information on the ebike industry. It is the appropriate place to make announcements. You will hear it here first.

I love this motor...quiet, powerful, sweet! I know it's better than the 9C but as several people on here have said...Prove It !
I have tested both of these motors, but you won't take my results as ultimate proof nor would I expect you to. Therefore I am going to do three things: first, supply a kit to an experienced and trusted third party tester, second offer a special discount to readers of this forum to get some into the hands of knowledgeable users, and third when I go to China next month, I will take both motors to a testing facility and bring back the computer printout to share with you. So at the end of the "motor shootout" there will be no doubt whatsoever which motor is better. Even my biggest detractors on here will come around and end up saying "oh wow, he was right!"

Special Offer: To the first 5 people who request it, I will sell them this fantastic kit for $250 with free shipping. Please send email or private message.

We won't always agree on everything, but I love the passion of everyone for their particular equipment. I like to hear how my customers are using their ebikes and am always testing the latest products. I sell high quality stuff but so do other companies so if you you feel more comfortable with them, that's fine just get a kit or ebike from somebody and get out of your car! I always welcome feedback and comments. I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone, but I will always speak my mind. I'm not always diplomatic, but I tell it the way I see it.

Great to see that you've come back to this thread, I was a little concerned that the flaming might push you away.

I don't think anyone's doubting your experience and knowledge, but I, for one, would certainly like to see claims validated, particularly where they relate to performance and efficiency.

You've made reference to some numbers with regard to "50% more torque" and "5-6% less drag" and mentioned that you use thicker wire for less heat and more torque (odd one this, as torque is a function of amp turns, permeability and magnet flux, not wire gauge). Now the topic has come up I think quite a few of us would like to see some solid comparative data to support these claims, so I welcome the fact you've offered to send the motors off for independent testing. I know that Justin sells a range of motors, but I think he would be an ideal person to do the tests, as he has a well-established reputation in the ebike world.

Jeremy

I'm glad to see you return too Terry. I've been biting my tounge trying not to comment till things got calmer.

From my personal experience Terry doesn't sell anything crappy. He does try different things, always searching for that "Holy Grail" of hubmotors.

But I still don't see the improvement we ALL need to run 2000 watts and above. Somebody PLEASE send a heinzmann motor to china and get the axle and integrated torque arm copied. As long as we are relying on flat sides of a skinny axle to keep the axle from rotating we are still hugged. We need the thing heinzmann did. the axle is about 1.5" thick on the torque arm side, allowing the integrated torque arm to bear on 1.5 inches of metal, not .3 inches. Then the axle necks down to a normal size axle with normal size nuts that fit normal dropouts. This design also allows a huge space to put as big a wire as you desire into the hub. Simple, elegant, and it works fabulously. If china just copies stuff, they sure are morons for not copying that axle design.

I (for one) would like to know how these so-called "10H" motors are different from AMPED???

You talk about people "copying" products and "stealing" from other companies. Yet you're offering a DD and geared motor that look EXACTLY the same as Amped...

So you have a motor with a diameter even larger than a X5. Do you have a special bicycle rim to allow for the greater spoke angles at one cross, or is this hub going to cause more nipple failures than any hub made so far?

Terry, As long as you are looking/answering here. Is there a spec link on your web page showing a drawing with measurements of your different motors? I very well could have missed it. :oops: I mainly want fork inside meas. needed with washers. Thanks

I wanted to try it for a review, but found out that it would not fit in the 135mm dropout of the bike I intended to use. I have one bike that has 150 mm, but I don't want to rebuild with this one, sorry.

Just waiting for the results of an independent test. For us analytical types, that's the bottom line. Again, I'd like to suggest Justin if he's willing to run his standardized tests. I know he's a 9C distributor but trust his integrity regardless.

Here review of Maxi Might by Johnrobholmes. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23395

He states his Maxi Might cannot goes over 35 mph at 66v and he also mentioned 9x7 9C motor is faster than Maxi Might.

I still waiting for one of other member supposed give us a review using LiPo 44v, 66v, and 88v run on Lyen controller. It apparently this member went complete quiet and haven't update his review. :(

It would be nice have choice configuration on winding IE. 9x7 winding on Maxi Might. I am SURE everyone would madly love buy these for the over volt their project ebike.

Update.

Sorry, I have gotten the five users for the special deal so that offer is closed. Thanks for all your interest. It's still a good deal at it's 10% off price.

-Terry

OK, Please give us review!! Make sure use LiPo setup 44v, 66v, and 88v review thanks!

HTB_Terry said:
A few people criticized this post as a crass, fumbling attempt at marketing, shooting yourself in the foot yada yada. Sorry guys, you're not getting it. I'm not going to come on here knocking a competitor in the hopes of selling a few motor kits.

and yet that's exactly what you did with full malice & intent telling people not to buy from a competitor.
you guess?? the thread title was a little provocative????
talk about who doesn't get it!

if initially you had just stayed on message & stuck to ur six enumerated bullet points without the op/ed of who we shouldn't be buying from then everything u, me, & everyone else have said to this point wouldn't need to exist.
even then only if the "9C did copy this" sour grapes wasn't included in there.
u came on here & just admitted that you are guilty of committing exactly the same sin.
yet your own stench doesn't appear to be as offensive to you.

i've been riding a 10" hubmotor since 2005.
back then the only hubmotors available were WE & 4-series xlyte.
all the 'kids' on the various forums pointed & laughed at the 10" hubs calling them 'frisbees'.
the motor is offset replete with 7 cogs & no dishing required.
spokes have no cross & have not broken a single one in 10k+ miles.
the covers are reinforced with a buttress design & is totally silent.
the torque arm was copied from the heinzman because they hired the chief production engineer who basically built the Evglobal.
this motor has served as the 'inspiration' for the xlyte 5-series (if what the owner of 'electricrider.com' has written is true about asking kenny to make something similar with a larger dia.).
even magic-pie corp has come around to seeing the benefit of increased torque a larger dia hub offers.

so it's not like you've invented anything new here.
i've grown weary of sounding redundant continually pointing out these features wishing that someone would just copy them already.
there's like half a dozen more innovations this motor has incorporated that have yet to be seen on any other hubmotor but i've resigned myself that they'll happen eventually with guys like you who think they've reinvented the wheel.
that's what i find so laughable, the Randy Draper mindset that some 'inventors' have who come on here.
they slap together bits & pieces cribbed from everywhere & slap 'prior art' stickers over top their pix genuinely thinking they've broken new ground.
sure it's an impressive personal achievement & most of the time one that i could never hope to equal but let's not get too high fallutin here.
just because you changed the killing-spree ending of Hamlet don't make you Bill Shakespeare Jr.

HTB_Terry said:
This motor is probably the best kept secret in the ebike world.
Dude, save lines like this for the 2am infomercial.
Please put down your copy of 'marketing to idiots' before you make your next post.

Everyone else.... i'll be watching for your review of this motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back