Nova Cruz Voloci Scooter/Bike Info

I placed a Hobby King order like 3 or 4 months ago I don't even remember. But it finally just came in the mail randomly...I remember complaining the order was not shipping and they gave an excuse of thier US warehouse was moving and they are behind. Then I forgot I even ordered the stuff...
IMG_7128.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg
So while waiting for my new cells to arrive I decided to build a 120cell pack 20s6p out of salvaged LG cells that i had laying around to get a pack to test the new Voloci bike. I also wanted to get rid of some nickel strips and try the Kweld with only 1 spot weld on the cells. I did a test run and it seems plenty strong. Also using 12awg for main lead since they are only about 1' long we wont have an issue with 52a peaks
IMG_7130.jpg
IMG_7131.jpg
IMG_7132.jpg
Now I am finally able to put on balance leads! Since the order is finally here!
IMG_7133.jpg
And charging up the low cell groups
IMG_7134.jpg
Then I started getting the controller and motor wiring started
IMG_7135.jpg

Got the 72v 20s6p test pack taped up and thrown into the bike with anticipation of getting the motor spinning
IMG_7154.jpg
IMG_7155.jpg
Then I took the motor out one more time to install a rubber molding around the frame, and bolted it back in place
IMG_7156.jpg

I was planning to get this bike running this weekend but ended up running into some issues pairing the my1020 motor to my new Kelly KBS72121X. I have used these controllers for years but this new one does not seem to operate the motor at all, I tried 3 different throttles with no luck, when I try to auto identify and cycle the controller power it cogs the motor once or twice trying to auto indentify and then the throttle does nothing...

tried to program it a few times with a pot throttle and then a regular hall throttle, then I turned off the temp sensor, then I set voltage parameters and it wont do anything. Odd since the motor will cog/spin when you try auto identify

Normally I would try another controller to make sure the motor works, but it is brand new and I have no other controllers not in use at the moment

Samuel Slater Experience Webster, MA Electric Vehicle Tour
[youtube]0TEUe7FbDhQ[/youtube]
IMG_7150.jpg
IMG_7169.jpg
IMG_7172.jpg
IMG_7173 (1).jpg
IMG_7175.jpg
IMG_7176.jpg
IMG_7177.jpg
IMG_7178.jpg
IMG_7179.jpg
IMG_7180.jpg
IMG_7181.jpg
IMG_7182.jpg

So I have yet to solve the new Kelly KBS72121X issue with this motor but I think it is due to the hall sensors not working on 5v, But this is a guess since I have never used these Boma MY1020 motors before... I used the $30 controller that came with motor to get the bike up and running to get an idea of performance, but the controller is only 1000w so it is not enough

Last edited:
So I went to Tractor Supply to get some chain links to get this thing rolling sooner than later...
IMG_7199.jpg

Slapped a chain on the bike, the rear sprocket is pretty bent causing some performance issues, will need a new one soon
IMG_7201.jpg
IMG_7202.jpg
Got it outside to try and ride the bike and the motor is still not acting right with this junk controller that has auto identification
IMG_7203.jpg

So I am having issues getting this Boma MY1020 motor to work on any of the controllers I am used to using...Got the Votol EM100 from my dirt bike build wired into the Voloci to try and see if a programmable controller would let me spin this motor better. It does not seem to work much better. I am not sure if I just got a motor with shit halls or what, but this motor is being pretty difficult. I did try 3 controllers already and I have purchased one more 72v 45a sine wave to see if that helps

Last edited:
Second new set of MCS Podium bars this set is the 6.5" rise 27" wide they work perfect on the Voloci

Last edited:
Oh my god this 3000w controller i ordered is the largest controller i've ever owned...I clearly did not read the dimensions while purchasing this thing. But either way the bike finally lives! and now i fear for my rear tire...

Last edited:
Few pics from yesterdays ride, Not sure why I never ordered this 3000w kit with the MY1020 motor to begin with since I saw it on Ebay and it was only 1 state away from me, but I still chose to buy my motor from electricscooterparts.com since I did not want the 3000w generic controller while owning the Kelly...But the kit was only $24 more than the motor and this controller is HUGE, but its actually pretty nice, easy installation, has a built in electric lock and nice long high temp teflon flexible wires. Other than its size it is a winner in my book for the price all day
IMG_7245.jpg
IMG_7246.jpg
link to motor controller kithttps://www.ebay.com/itm/3730101006...entrq:bd3139cc1800a4d6dfe98b67fffc1b68|iid:14

And I am already regretting not putting the kickstand on this Voloci when I built it...having to use another bike to balance it on to take a picture
IMG_7248.jpg

Took a picture of this old car garage before they tear it down like everything else
IMG_7251.jpg
Shot of the bike after my LIPO buzzer shut down my fun for the day :(
IMG_7254.jpg

So how's the acceleration?

That is a big controller, but there is plenty of room for it. I think you're going to want bigger batteries :wink:
Looks like you could possibly mount the controller between the frame and the seat cushion if you needed a higher (and warmer) seat.
Is there a way to re-install the cover that goes over the motor sprocket? Getting your pants leg caught in there could ruin your day.

fechter said:
So how's the acceleration?

That is a big controller, but there is plenty of room for it. I think you're going to want bigger batteries :wink:
Looks like you could possibly mount the controller between the frame and the seat cushion if you needed a higher (and warmer) seat.
Is there a way to re-install the cover that goes over the motor sprocket? Getting your pants leg caught in there could ruin your day.

Acceleration is pretty quick but not as quick as the Kuberg, will need to get some data next ride(top speed, 0-30 time and uphill figures)

I do want to raise the seat a few inches since I am on the taller side, but not sure how I feel about sitting on the controller :p

and I did try to cover the chain but I need to modify the cover so it is 5/8" deeper, the end of the motor shaft hits the cover, and also if I were to drill the center out the chain would then hit the cover also being 1/2" out more than stock. I have plans to get some cutting board material and cut out a spacer I can put behind the cover so I can secure it to the frame

This battery was just for testing purposed and it did its job very well so far! But I do own 80x new Samsung 21700 45a cells for the new pack whenever I get the time to weld it together!

Ok so the Custom 72v Voloci is a bit dangerous, It was a beautiful sunny day and the birds where a chirpin' I decided to take the death Voloci out for a ride with my daughter A and try to get a GPS top speed. I anxiously pull away from the house trying to keep up with her as she flies off down the street with the Ebay dirt bike only to find out I forgot my helmet...Don't worry I loop back around to get it. I turn the GPS app on and throw my phone in the pocket of my shorts and get ready for my speed run. I get up to full throttle and everything is going ok, but the speed just continues to climb as I hold the throttle wide open down the road. It is at this very moment while I am tucked in speed position and staring down at the pavement flying by a mere 30" away from my face that I realize I could get really hurt in a T-shirt and shorts with only just a helmet on if anything were to happen...I feel like the bike could have gone a tad bit more but I let off the throttle as I was approaching the next Stop sign rapidly. I then open my GPS app to realize that it did not even record my speed!! WTF I needed to leave the tab open but I closed the screen!

Either way I had to do the speed run all over again! This is with my 20s6p test pack no BMS

The top speed is 46 MPH and the bike weighs 75lbs
IMG_7319.jpg
IMG_7322.jpg

That's faster than a stock Sur-ron. I bet it gobbles up the battery pretty fast at that speed. Great result, anyway. Huge improvement over the stock motor and seems to fit nicely in the spot. My Sur-ron takes around 4kw to get top speed.

Do you know what the battery current limit is?

fechter said:
That's faster than a stock Sur-ron. I bet it gobbles up the battery pretty fast at that speed. Great result, anyway. Huge improvement over the stock motor and seems to fit nicely in the spot. My Sur-ron takes around 4kw to get top speed.

Do you know what the battery current limit is?

that's what 55amps 4000w?

I do not know what the current is peaking at but this large controller says 65a on it and they usually peak a tad bit higher from my experience, the test pack is 20s6p of 10a rated 18650

The one thing to note is this bike similar to the Kuberg under load/acceleration is not quiet! It sounds loud and pretty sweet

Got a sweet new air compressor that goes up to 120psi! Much more useful and handy than the old Walmart one that maxes out at 30psi and I had to carry around a 12v 7ah SLA brick and plug it into the XT60 every time I needed air!

I was able to seal a few ATV front tires onto the beads of the rims with this thing pretty easily

Attachments

• IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 985
Last edited:
Working on a Voloci website at the moment. it is very crude since I have limited time, But eventually it may come in handy
https://volocielectricbike.com/

That's nice.
You can post a copy of the controller firmware there. I have a copy here if you need it.

I wonder how many were ever made? I bet not many are still running.

fechter said:
That's nice.
You can post a copy of the controller firmware there. I have a copy here if you need it.

I wonder how many were ever made? I bet not many are still running.

That is a good idea Fetcher! I will update the new website next time I have a few moments.

I am not sure how many Voloci's are still in operation, but I am the only person who has uploaded a ride video online in a decade, so they are very rare for sure. I would also be curious to this answer

The website is already a success! With two people already emailing me inquiries! I just wish there was a way to make it pop up on google searches without paying a fortune, I think traffic is the only way for this to happen naturally which will be difficult

Website is acutally showing up on google search now! Steppin' up in the world!
F3DE899A-9369-4527-93ED-36CB1478ADEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally! The Samsung 21700 battery is completed! Got a nice long test ride in with great results!

Last edited:
Back