Nova Cruz Voloci Scooter/Bike Info

I'm pretty sure I got a bad(bricked) Kelly controller from the factory brand new doesn't work

After having no success with the MY1020 motor pairing I tried it with a few motors i know the KBS series work with and it still does nothing...I have not contacted Kelly and I likely will not since I am short on time with my work schedule

This is my first bad controller from Kelly after purchasing over 10x I really like their products and talk them up usually

GUYS! I may have just stumbled upon another lot of Voloci and Xootr Scooter parts from the late inventor himself(RIP Nathan)! I am still in the process of lining up a date to head up to the estate again!

I will post photos when available! I hope to get some Voloci NIMH battery cases this time. I have no clue what they still have left

Looks like we are not getting together until early February, wish me luck driving 200 miles in the snow!

Did a freezing cold windy winter ride yesterday! It was so cold my Microphone broke before I could even start recording, so I put some music to the vid and sped it up

Thanks for watching as always!

Last edited:
Had a half a day to test out my new Gopro Hero 9 black and wireless microphone system! Threw some charge into the newly build Samsung 21700 40t pack and headed out for a frigid ride! Ended up having to order a Gopro media mod kit for my new Camera so until it comes in the mail(Walmart did not have it on shelf) I used my Iphone 11 with my wireless microphone system, so far so good. I am really liking it, and it makes video editing soooo much easier!

I also got a chance to drill a hole in my Swingarm and screw down the chain guide so it doesn't keep falling off...kinda important when traveling with traffic at speeds over 40mph

Ended up with over 35 minutes of footage, not sure how I lasted that long in the cold. But because it was Sunday and the traffic was so bad, I ended up not using half of the footage since I was just stuck behind cars crawling along much too slow for my liking

I did also ORDER THE NEW QS 90 1000W MOTOR in hopes that I may be able to modify it and replace this MY1020 motor...I knew going into this project that I required a very small diameter motor and my favorite LR motors would never fit in this frame...But everytime I ride the 72v Death Voloci all I can think about is when this motor is going to burn up in a cloud of smoke and where is that pesky smell coming from when I stop at red lights???

All jokes aside this was a very fun affordable project, but since the MY1020 motor is housed inside the Voloci frame with a slight air gap between the original motors casing, it get absolutely zero air cooling what so ever. I still need to drill out the side covers of the MY1020 to see if it helps things a bit. But since its winter I have been putting it off

The QS 90 1000w will need severed modifications to fit in bike, but I decided to pull the trigger and buy one just so i can get it in my hands...only time will tell now

Here is a link to the vid from Sunday, as always if you enjoy the video even just a little bit please like and subscribe to the channel

Last edited:
This battery was originally intended to be used on a Honda dirt bike I was building but I figured I have enough projects going on right now so I just kept it in a configuration that would fit in the 72v Voloci. It was going to get folded in half to be a cube battery...And if i ever do build the Honda it will need a much bigger battery than this

These cells are Eve 7.5a 18650 cells in a 20s10p configuration spot welded with Kweld. It has a 60a continuous BMS which is being reused that was taken out of a junk Ebay BTR pack that has a few cells puff and leak. The worst part of the pack build was extending all the tiny BMS wires that were cut very short

I got these batteries from the 18650 battery store website just like the 21700 40t Samsung cells, if i remember correctly I paid only $2 per cell on a black friday deal (so $400 plus shipping)

Here are a few pics of the build process, I know alot of this build is not perfect but I got it slapped together without spending any more money than the original cell purchase which was my main objective

IMG_6911.jpg
IMG_6912.jpg
IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6914.jpg
IMG_6915.jpg
IMG_6916.jpg
IMG_6917.jpg
Pic of the Ebike corner of my basement over a year ago
IMG_6943.jpg
IMG_8492.jpg
IMG_8493.jpg
IMG_8494.jpg
IMG_8495.jpg
IMG_8496.jpg
IMG_8497.jpg
IMG_8498.jpg
I still have some more work to do on the pack today, but my neighbors car battery died and he needed some help while I was outside cutting the PVC sheeting to cover the sides of the pack. So I used the rest of the daylight on assisting them
IMG_8499.jpg
Threw the pack on charge with the Cycle Satiator and everything looked to be in good condition! I cannot believe it took me over a year to complete this for no reason...it wasn't that bad

These little QS 90 1000W motors are freaking beasts...This is just based on its physical size and how much it weighs. I have yet to even hook it up to a controller but I already know it is going to be a MONSTER!

This motor is so heavy that I cannot even hold it in my hand and put my arm out horizontally...its crazy that they packed this into this tiny little package. I only hope I can manage to squeeze it into the Death Voloci

On a side note we did get out and ride yesterday and I tested out the new EVE 20s10p 25ah pack and it is awesome! Noticeably more power than the 20s4p 21700 Samsung 40T is capable of somehow...which boggles my mind

IMG_8519.jpg
IMG_8520.jpg
IMG_8521.jpg

So we were finally able to meet up with Bob and Ellen the very nice couple who purchased Nathan Ulrich's estate from the University it was donated to in NH of 2020. It was quite the experience spending the day exploring the mind of a genius and here is just a quick glimpse into the eyes of Nathan himself! This man loves Aluminum and half of his house is made out of it...I have never seen anything like it even with a construction background.

Here are a few shots of the outside of the house, Bob and Ellen said they originally purchased the house because of the large garage space for their Porsche collection (Nathan was a Porsche collector) The garage had 3 bay doors and could fit around 8 cars easily with a full metal shop and fabrication room next to it and above it
IMG_8578.jpg
IMG_8577.jpg
The tower of this house hits 100' in the air and boy was it a tad bit scary climbing the 32' extension ladder thru the scuttle hole after already climbing up 5 flights of stairs inside the house
IMG_8576.jpg
IMG_8575.jpg
When bob and Ellen purchased the house it was still down to the studs and was completely unfinished, they have done a ton of work over the last two years and it is looking really nice!
IMG_8549.jpg
IMG_8550.jpg
Nathan liked aluminum a little too much and seemed to use it for all the joists and rafters in his home which I have never seen before
IMG_8551.jpg
IMG_8552.jpg
IMG_8553.jpg
IMG_8554.jpg
Even all of his doors are commercial uninsulated aluminum door which is a pretty bad idea in New England
IMG_8555.jpg
IMG_8556.jpg
IMG_8557.jpg
IMG_8558.jpg
IMG_8559.jpg
IMG_8560.jpg
IMG_8561.jpg
This steel I-beam monstrosity is the only non aluminum item in his house, its 5 stories up and it was intended to be used an a support for a large steel frame green house that was originally going to be the top of the tower. But now it is just there for looks since the top portion of the tower is now made of wood and was placed up top with a large crane truck
IMG_8562.jpg

Nathan was also the inventor of over 20x patents
including an electric wheelchair
Robotics that assisted in the research of the Titanic wreckage
a carbon fiber golf club head
F2000 race car designer
Xootr Scooters
Voloci Electric Scooters
He was also a former Calvin Klein model
He was married to Naomi Cromwell and later Rae Dawn Chong which her mail is still getting delivered to the house...
IMG_8574.jpg
He has tons of Porsche stuff around the house
IMG_8573.jpg
IMG_8572.jpg
IMG_8571.jpg
IMG_8570.jpg
They now have over 1000' of this huge copper cable running thru the building for lightning protection since the original tower was struck by lightning in 2005 and was burnt down
IMG_8569.jpg
This is the ladder you need to climb to get to the top of the still unfinished tower which is over 6 stories high
IMG_8568.jpg
IMG_8565.jpg
A shot of my truck loaded with Xootr scooter and Voloci parts yet again...
IMG_8563.jpg

If your just seeing this post today please scroll back a page and check out all the new posts since they are too long to post in one thread. Here are just a few quick pictures of the stuff that I obtained from the Nathan Ulrich estate just while I was unloading it from my truck.

I finally have a few Xootr electric scooters! Until now I have only seen a picture of one on this very forum thread from another ES member.
I have atleast 4x of them in ruins. Hopefully I will be able to make one full up and running scooter with all the parts but they are actually fairly complex to say the least

Here is a set of Voloci frame rails named the NX30 which must've been another proto-type name before settling on the infamous Voloci name
IMG_8579.jpg
Here is a super cool and sturdy proto-type frame that I am going to try and make into a killer Ebike, but I am not sure my welding skills are up to the task of creating an entire swingarm...
IMG_8580.jpg
Got a box of 20v 20a controllers, not sure what they are for maybe testing purposes
IMG_8581.jpg
Here is one of the coolest items I got this trip, it looks to be some sort of Voloci motor testing bench with two Voloci motors in parallel connected to one shaft. Maybe one of you smarter folks can chime in and tell me what this would be used for, i would guess its used for testing or monitoring efficiency and timing?
IMG_8582.jpg
IMG_8583.jpg
IMG_8584.jpg
Here is a box of Xootr scooter parts and a few Voloci proto-type items including a swingarm and a very cool looking side cover
IMG_8585.jpg
Here is a double sided clown Xootr scooter?
IMG_8586.jpg
Here is one of the massive powered wheelchair motors Nathan was working on
IMG_8587.jpg
Here is a box of brand new in bag Xootr scooter parts!
IMG_8588.jpg
I also have an entire crate full of Xootr scooter wheels
and tons of other bit that I have zero time to go thru at the moment, I probably should even be spending time on this Forum but I wanted to get this out to the public! Please feel free to comment on anything that catches your eye!

This battery was originally intended to be used on a Honda dirt bike I was building but I figured I have enough projects going on right now so I just kept it in a configuration that would fit in the 72v Voloci. It was going to get folded in half to be a cube battery...And if i ever do build the Honda it will need a much bigger battery than this

These cells are Eve 7.5a 18650 cells in a 20s10p configuration spot welded with Kweld. It has a 60a continuous BMS which is being reused that was taken out of a junk Ebay BTR pack that has a few cells puff and leak. The worst part of the pack build was extending all the tiny BMS wires that were cut very short

I got these batteries from the 18650 battery store website just like the 21700 40t Samsung cells, if i remember correctly I paid only $2 per cell on a black friday deal (so $400 plus shipping)

Here are a few pics of the build process, I know alot of this build is not perfect but I got it slapped together without spending any more money than the original cell purchase which was my main objective

View attachment 329678
View attachment 329677
View attachment 329676
View attachment 329675
View attachment 329674
View attachment 329673
View attachment 329672
View attachment 329671
View attachment 329670
View attachment 329669
View attachment 329668
View attachment 329667
View attachment 329666
View attachment 329665
View attachment 329664
I still have some more work to do on the pack today, but my neighbors car battery died and he needed some help while I was outside cutting the PVC sheeting to cover the sides of the pack. So I used the rest of the daylight on assisting them
View attachment 329663
Threw the pack on charge with the Cycle Satiator and everything looked to be in good condition! I cannot believe it took me over a year to complete this for no reason...it wasn't that bad

Sorry to say but that battery is crazy dangerous. Have you missed to add cell insulation between the groups and insulation pads at the positive terminal? You are most likely to get a short circuit due to wear on the cells plastic cover due to vibrations.

Sorry to say but that battery is crazy dangerous. Have you missed to add cell insulation between the groups and insulation pads at the positive terminal? You are most likely to get a short circuit due to wear on the cells plastic cover due to vibrations.
Thanks for your concern, but even major battery manufacturers make packs this same way. They do have a plastic protective layer over the positive already, would another layer make it safer...yes I will agree. But they are certainly not a requirement by any means

see just a few examples of a quick google search below
welding2.jpgwelding.jpg
welding4.png

Don't trust everything you see on commercial photos :)

Attachments

• solder.JPG
    solder.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
It was a joke! I hope your battery does not fail due to missing insulation, I just think its important to bring up since it can be catastrophic if battery groups shorts and its a common fault that is easy to prevent.

Regarding "major battery manufacturers make packs this same way", maybe so but that does not change the fact that its dangerous. I seen multiple builds burn up because of this.

It was a joke! I hope your battery does not fail due to missing insulation, I just think its important to bring up since it can be catastrophic if battery groups shorts and its a common fault that is easy to prevent.

Regarding "major battery manufacturers make packs this same way", maybe so but that does not change the fact that its dangerous. I seen multiple builds burn up because of this.
Yes I see your cause for concern and appreciate your input. I do however own my own home(do not live in a multiplex or city) and put all of my bikes in a 10x12 shed that I built myself so if anything were to go wrong I would be the only person liable. I have been on this forum over a decade and I have yet to have one battery fire...I would obviously post it here if anything were to happen

Forgot to post a video of our last winter ride, we did a couple 1,2,3 go full throttle races and she wins off the line every time! But then I pass her a few moments later...

View attachment 329678
View attachment 329677
View attachment 329676
View attachment 329675
View attachment 329674
View attachment 329673
View attachment 329672
View attachment 329671
View attachment 329670
View attachment 329669
View attachment 329668
View attachment 329667
View attachment 329666
View attachment 329665
View attachment 329664
View attachment 329663
Your battery build looks nice and clean! 👍

2 Questions, why did you choose not to use cell holders?
Also, I noticed on the ends of your nickel strip there’s sharp edges sticking out over the insulated wrap of the cells. It seems that through time with vibration that could dig into the insulated wrap, short-circuiting the battery? I’m a complete noob when it comes to battery building. I’ve been trying to absorb as much information as possible before I start my first battery build.

Attachments

• 63E82A95-3BA4-4F27-86B6-B471FEE80B35.jpeg
    63E82A95-3BA4-4F27-86B6-B471FEE80B35.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 5
Oh, I just seen the other reply someone was asking you about not using insulated rings. I certainly don’t want you to think I’m criticizing either. For me having zero battery building experience, take my comments, questions or concerns with a grain of salt lol
But logically thinking it seems that the nickel strip could eat away at the insulated cell wrap over time.

Your battery build looks nice and clean! 👍

2 Questions, why did you choose not to use cell holders?
Also, I noticed on the ends of your nickel strip there’s sharp edges sticking out over the insulated wrap of the cells. It seems that through time with vibration that could dig into the insulated wrap, short-circuiting the battery? I’m a complete noob when it comes to battery building. I’ve been trying to absorb as much information as possible before I start my first battery build.
I completely agree with you on the overhanging nickel strips that is the one thing i also noticed they should get trimmed down just incase!

Here are some pictures of the last few rides we went on! No problems with the bike other than the motor getting very hot on long rides...but its still working :)

Found some new trails the next state over from ours (CT) and we have been liking them, only about 8 miles from our house and they are lots of fun for now!
IMG_8947.jpgIMG_8942.jpgIMG_8908.jpgIMG_8907.jpgIMG_8905.jpgIMG_8902.jpgIMG_8899.jpgIMG_8898.jpgIMG_8891.jpgIMG_8890.jpg

Back