Ok, dumb question about C ratings...

todayican2

100 W
I have been seeing discussion about the c ratings of Lithium polymer batteries, can someone please explain what C rating is?

Also, I am looking at using 48v / 550 amp setup for a trike I am thinking about building, what c rating will I need?

One more question, whats the concensus on headway versus sky energy / thundersky type cells?
Thanks

1 x C = 1 hour

so a 10ah cell, at 1C = 10 amps for 1 hour

or a 10ah cell, at 2C = 20 amps for 30 minutes

or a 10ah cell, at 3C = 30 amps for 20 minutes

With a 550amp controller, 1C rated cells, would require you to have 550ah worth of capacity.

Some high end LiPo's claim 30C type things.. ( not that i would recommend such things. ) so a 550/30 = 18.33, in theory, you could make due with a 19ah pack, but you won't go very far! :mrgreen:

Thanks Guys :)

The trike would be road going, highway speeds. so with a 3c cell like the sky energy, 10c burst. with a 60ah cell, im good for 180 amps continuous and 600 burst, right? (if manufacturers claims are to be belived)

Whats the consensus on the headway cells vs the sky energy type cells?
Thanks

maybe you should start small and then work up. try an electric bike frst b4 you may a motor way speed trike.

Headway cells are testing well, it seems. Sky energy are untested by members (T-skys have a less stellar reputation, particularly for hi-C draw.)

todayican2 said:
Thanks Guys :)

The trike would be road going, highway speeds. so with a 3c cell like the sky energy, 10c burst. with a 60ah cell, im good for 180 amps continuous and 600 burst, right? (if manufacturers claims are to be belived)

Whats the consensus on the headway cells vs the sky energy type cells?
Thanks

Can't recomend anything without knowing what the motor is and what you expect it to be pulling.

If you realy are going to be pulling 180 amps, you would have 20 minutes run time.

Couldn't agree more, gain experience with bikes. Mistakes are expensive enough with 20 ah batteries. My plan, ebikes, dirt motorcycles, electric car. Of course , expensive to me may be nothing to you. One big eye opener on the bikes is how much less I need than I thought.

Excellent advice everyone :)
I have built a trike or two already, I may have caused some confusion, I wasnt referring to a tadpole recumbent, more like a small car with three wheels (about 400 to 500 pounds empty)

Back