• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Pro builders advice.

ChrisJTX

100 mW
Hey everyone

Just started my build on a eeb frame and ran into an issue. I'm hoping experienced builders can chime in. Its seems the swing arm bolt will not fit thru where the swing arm insertion point on the frame where the bearing sit due to the (not sure what its called) tube being misaligned within the frame. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to send the frame back from where I purchased it? I'm thinking that part is wielded to the frame? Could I file it away as best I can to try to make the bolt fits thru? If I do so, could it weaken the parts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris
6ee69fd0573e92f083339e18672c4e83.jpg
917d52c2d2c0f9583960e975c81c84d1.jpg
0311bfacae7a8ffcbe7caeb9e54655fe.jpg
b21ad93a80447f93758aa1e18a0f822a.jpg
d0b24a876a4ca78caa35cbf80e3bf375.jpg
3af8c324c12d89a0af0b62446b4ef58b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After a closer inspection, rust is present in the tube....
4bc7a65b8933bfa588d8c58514fa529b.jpg

Looking like crash damage. It will be PITA to make a swing arm pivot that is straight, stiff and sound. You got it new like that? Ask for a refund.

MadRhino said:
Looking like crash damage. It will be PITA to make a swing arm pivot that is straight, stiff and sound. You got it new like that? Ask for a refund.
Its brand new, ordered from em3ev. After fiddling with ot for a bit. I believe it's the bushings. Maybe I could bang it a bit to align it? Not sure about the rust color in there though, thought bushings were plastic.

The "misaligned" part might be a spacer tube whose job is to hold the bearing inner races at the correct distance. If so, it is a floating piece held in place only by the bolt that runs through it. Use a screwdriver to move it into position so you can insert the bolt.

Steel tubing can get small amounts of cosmetic rust inside when it's washed before painting. The paint usually won't cover the inside. That's normal. It's what you'd see if you put a bore scope into a bicycle frame. If this is a spacer tube, there may be no paint on it at all.

Edit:

Note that when it's time to replace the bearings, that tube being able to float around is how you'll access the inside surface of the old bearing to knock it out with a punch.

Chalo said:
The "misaligned" part might be a spacer tube whose job is to hold the bearing inner races at the correct distance. If so, it is a floating piece held in place only by the bolt that runs through it. Use a screwdriver to move it into position so you can insert the bolt.

Steel tubing can get small amounts of cosmetic rust inside when it's washed before painting. The paint usually won't cover the inside. That's normal. It's what you'd see if you put a bore scope into a bicycle frame. If this is a spacer tube, there may be no paint on it at all.

Edit:

Note that when it's time to replace the bearings, that tube being able to float around is how you'll access the inside surface of the old bearing to knock it out with a punch.
Thanks for the info Chalo, greatly appreciated. Your right, it's a floating piece but it wasn't easy getting that sucker to align properly. Had to find a steel tube small enough to slide in the inner tube and bang the opposite side in where I wanted the tube to go to reduce damage to the bearings. All in all not too bad. Might look into finding an after market upgrade on the bushings and bearing. My faith in the ones that came with the frame is low for durability.

Back