Q100 Hubmotor problem

Slowrider

100 mW
I made a go kart for the kids using this kit Q100 24V250W-350W Front E-Bike Kit with LED Meter - RPM : 201
It worked fine but was a bit to slow at 24V so I used 36V battery instead, now the speed was okay but the controller got really hot.
So I ordered aKU93 450W 9Mosfets High Speed Controller that should work on 36 and 48V, but now I have a problem with the motor cutting of when I hit max on the throttle.

Please check the video to see the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPXaFQPJhg

What is the problem do you think ?

Her is a video of the go kart running with the old controller at 36V :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gm7Raem10

I suspect something about the load the Q100 was seeing powering the cart was forcing the kit controller to run max. Amps all the time, causing it to over-heat.
The KU93 will not work with the Q100, it's a commutation speed issue.
for my Q100's systems that are run under harsh conditions, I use this controller;

http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2014-3K-SAUG.5TSEX

That is the version that comes with the 810 display. I'm not sure the the BMS Battery S890 display will work(I think so), but the connectors will not be there for your disply if you don't order the "display" controller.
They sometimes list these controllers on Ebay(saves on shipping), but the last time I ck'ed, they were not on there.
Looks like a happy driver :D

The KU93 is 22 amps. If you have a 10ah battery, it's probably got a 20A BMS, which will cut the power when you go over 20 amps. What battery are you using? 22A is a bit much for the Q100 anyway. It would probably be a lot better for both your battery and motor if you reduced the current from the controller to about 18A by crimping or filing the shunt.

motomech said:
I suspect something about the load the Q100 was seeing powering the cart was forcing the kit controller to run max. Amps all the time, causing it to over-heat.
for my Q100's systems that are run under harsh conditions, I use this controller;

That is the version that comes with the 810 display. I'm not sure the the BMS Battery S890 display will work(I think so), but the connectors will not be there for your disply if you don't order the "display" controller.
They sometimes list these controllers on Ebay(saves on shipping), but the last time I ck'ed, they were not on there.

Thanks for your replay.
I agree that the load is quite high and force the controller to run max amps and may causing it to overheat. The motor however is not warm at all.
But what you are saying that is that the KU93 is not compatible with the Q100 ?

I can get a new controller but I would rather buy it from BMS Battery, could you please check if any of these is a good match.
https://bmsbattery.com/21-controller

Both my kids loves the cart, the plan is to use 36V on the street and then it would be cool if the controller could run 48V when there is a bigger open space so it is safe to go faster.

d8veh said:
The KU93 is 22 amps. If you have a 10ah battery, it's probably got a 20A BMS, which will cut the power when you go over 20 amps. What battery are you using? 22A is a bit much for the Q100 anyway. It would probably be a lot better for both your battery and motor if you reduced the current from the controller to about 18A by crimping or filing the shunt.

Thanks for you're replay.

I am running Lipo battery 10S and 12S, good tip about filing the shunt if I get it running correct as I do think it would be a bit high without this mod.
But if you see the video it is shutting of at max throttle. The problem is at both 36V and 48V, I also did a check with a new Q100 motor as I thought i might have damage the one in the cart.
But the problem is the same on both motors. Could it be throttle ? I am using the one that came with the 24V kit.

Slowrider said:
motomech said:

Thanks for your replay.
I agree that the load is quote high and force the controller to run max amps and may causing it to overheat. The motor however is not warm at all.
But what you are saying that is that the KU93 is not compatible with the Q100 ?

I can get a new controller but I would rather buy it from BMS Battery, could you please check if any of these is a good match.
https://bmsbattery.com/21-controller

Both my kids loves the cart, the plan is to use 36V on the street and then it would be cool if the controller could run 48V when there is a bigger open space so it is safe to go faster.
KU93 will not clock fast enough for Q100(high pole count, compound gears).
BMS Battery does not offer a good match for you application, unless you want to go with the large S12SH and cut one shunt.
9-FET Elifebike controller has perfect LVC's for both 10S and 12S.
It is the one you want.
Trust me, I have built a half dozen Q100 systems.
ELB ofers service on par with BMS B.

It's not a problem with the throttle. If you're using lipos without a BMS, it won't be an over-current issue either. The Q100 is a bit sensitive regarding controllers, so I've got a feeling that the solution will come from a new controller. You are running with hall sensors and they are properly connected?

I'm trouble-shooting a Q100 that has lost at least one Hall today.
It will sometimes start up, but as soon as a load is put on it, it goes all spastic.
That is with the ELB 9-FET, which is susposed to be able to run sensorless.
Will try an Infineon sensorless later, but expect the same results.
I sort of remember running a Cute sensorless w/ a KU62 a couple of years ago, but now I'm not so sure.

KU93 will not clock fast enough for Q100(high pole count, compound gears).
BMS Battery does not offer a good match for you application, unless you want to go with the large S12SH and cut one shunt.
9-FET Elifebike controller has perfect LVC's for both 10S and 12S.
It is the one you want.
Trust me, I have built a half dozen Q100 systems.
ELB ofers service on par with BMS B.

Thanks for the tip concerning the controller, I have ordered the 9FET from Elifbike that should be here any day now.
I will test it and post an update here.

motomech said:
I sort of remember running a Cute sensorless w/ a KU62 a couple of years ago, but now I'm not so sure.

I've done that when troubleshooting. one controller is sensorless, the other is not (as I recall the one that accepted the LED

looks like they now have a KU63/65?
"Type 3: Hall sensor and sensorless compatiable, without 3-speed switch, learning itself by a switch. LVC=30/31V(36V) 20/21 V(24V)."

Slowrider said:
Thanks for the tip concerning the controller, I have ordered the 9FET from Elifbike that should be here any day now.
I will test it and post an update here.

Good call!

I have also had luck making sure the 6FET controller was outside in the fresh air and mounted on a heat sink...

Got the go kart up and running with the Elifebike controller, it works perfect except for one odd issue!
Sometimes the throttle gets stuck at wide open, so when I let it go back to zero throttle it is still at wide open. To fix this I just snap the throttle one ore twice fast
and it stops but this is not very safe for my kids! Any Ideas to fix this ?

Slowrider said:
Got the go kart up and running with the Elifebike controller, it works perfect except for one odd issue!
Sometimes the throttle gets stuck at wide open, so when I let it go back to zero throttle it is still at wide open. To fix this I just snap the throttle one ore twice fast
That is the cruise control!
Dis-connect the wht. wire w/Blu. trace.

motomech said:
Slowrider said:
That is the cruise control!
Dis-connect the wht. wire w/Blu. trace.

Wow, did not know about this cruise control :oops:
Will try to disconnect asap. Many thanks for your help, as I said the got kart is running perfect now. It is faster and tops out at about 30 kmh.
The motor and new controller is barely warm, great combo :D

Back