Question about using 52v with BBS02

Xray

100 mW
Does using a 52v battery with the 48v 750w BBS02 cause any long term problems? I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing a complete system and I'm trying to decide between 48v and 52v. If the watt hours are similar between the 2 batteries is there any advantage one way or the other?

It should be fine if the kit you are buying is using the upgraded FETs ( They switched mid July 2015 )

Ive been running 14s ( 58.8v ) on my BBS02 29er cyclocross fine with the new controller for about 4 months. The old controller popped if it was at the ege of its limits.

Raged said:
It should be fine if the kit you are buying is using the upgraded FETs ( They switched mid July 2015 )

Ive been running 14s ( 58.8v ) on my BBS02 29er cyclocross fine with the new controller for about 4 months. The old controller popped if it was at the ege of its limits.
Just wondering what that means "popped "? Did that render the controller unusable and needing repair? Or could it be reset by disconnecting /reconnecting the battery?

dilkes said:
Raged said:

Just wondering what that means "popped "? Did that render the controller unusable and needing repair? Or could it be reset by disconnecting /reconnecting the battery?

Popped as in dead and get a replacement controller with the upgraded FET's.

FWIW, I've been running an "old" BBS02 with a 52V, 10 ah Luna battery for a few months, but relatively gentle (30 mph max) use; no problems yet.

I run 62.0v HOC on 15s lipo on a vintage bbs02 - one fo the first made. Still going fine.

What's 52v? They call 13s "48v" It charges to 54.6v. and they call 14s 48v, unless they call it 52v. it charges to 58v. Both are less than a typical 48v controllers max voltage for the capacitors inside, which is generally 63v.

So don't go above charges to 63v. Personally, I like 14s, but 13s is increasingly the standard, and the bafang is surely designed with the intent to run it at 13s.

Agree; mine is 14s, 52V nominally, but measured to 58.8 fully charged.

Just curious, I'm assuming you need to change the LVC when switching from 13S to 14S (41V to 43V), am I wrong?

puregsr said:
Just curious, I'm assuming you need to change the LVC when switching from 13S to 14S (41V to 43V), am I wrong?

Only when you go down in voltage. Your BMS should protect your battery before the LVC does.

Raged said:
Oh... I was using a 48t chainring... which probably loaded it a bit too much as well.
52t is fine to, unless you lug the motor, it's not the chainwheel it's the user.

I have hundreds of hours of hard riding on BBS02's with 52v batteries (16S LifePo4). One blown controller early on, after that I got smart and used smaller chainrings.

Doesn't like full throttle on hills when it is already hot and spinning too slow. If you spin it fast you can beat the piss out of it with impunity.

All old Mosfets.

Karl

Back