r3volved's LR Norco @72v

r3volved said:
4E1GzE4.jpg

ex-battery.com

You say 20s but call it 72v is this like lipo 84v hot off?

What's the charger? I have changed to 20s lipo and am now looking for a 20s charger - thinking http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Quality-Electric-Bicycle-Charger-20S-72V-84V-CV-5amp-Li-ion-LiPoly-Battery-Charger/313864_32220904923.html

I just looked at ex-battery website what crappy presented site. no prices........... Where are they based and I am interested in there 10 amp charger did you get that?

I have viewed their website as well and I agree its very amateur. I thought people and "programmers" just copy code from other websites that they like and replace with their own information, cant be that hard. I have looked into it myself, and I hate code!

By the way, what does "IIRC" mean?

markz said:
I have viewed their website as well and I agree its very amateur. I thought people and "programmers" just copy code from other websites that they like and replace with their own information, cant be that hard. I have looked into it myself, and I hate code!

By the way, what does "IIRC" mean?

it means 'if i can recall correctly', iirc... :p

72V liion is 84.4 hot.
Their website is not all that great at all...they're inside the great firewall so steal and modify code doesn't really work as simply as you'd think. I dealt with Quentin directly through here (ES) though. I was hesitant at first, but I would buy from them again! Quality product!
My charger is 5A

r3volved said:
72V liion is 84.4 hot.
My charger is 5A

That's a bit too hot at 4.22v for lipo. I've pmed here waiting for more info on price and if the voltage can be dropped possibly to 83v. Without a BMS I highly doubt I'd ever go higher than 4.15v while manually monitoring.

I am pretty sure Leo @ greentimie can change the voltage. Would be nice to have 3 settings switch for storage, 90% 100% as I have seen some EM3ev chargers have.

To be honest I wish Justin would release his HV statiator soon.

Do you have a bms on those batteries?

They are not Lipo, they're li-ion 18650's.
I use a BMS with everything - 50-60a

I am also waiting for the Satiator-HV!! I want a second backup charger and I've been holding off ordering generic, hoping the HV will be soon!!

Hi r3volved,

Thank's for your great build Log. I would like to know if you use the LR "small" or "Big" block ?

r3volved said:
Small block
I killed my controller last week in the super rain :(
Going to try the Grin Phaserunner

Nice looking, specs, and size, wonder if it really can handle 3kw continuous. 100v 80a peak? that small wow I would buy one too.

EDIT: didn't see ETA 24th September

Can you explain thermal roll back they mention?

Mine shipped yesterday. They build to order right now, or only capable of a couple per day...they're not pumping them out in huge numbers. I'm real happy with grin products and their overall company culture. I'm waiting for the HV satiator *drool*

I think that controller is definitely worth a try for the cost. I could just as easily get another lyen and waterproof it better but I'm also a hacker so the customization and variability aspect of the phaserunner (all grin products) is highly appealing to me.

I don't have any thermistors installed on my motor, so I don't know anything about thermal rollback on that end...I don't know yet if the controller itself has a thermistor to rollback on controller heat. It's a great idea if not.
I guess I'll find all that out next week.

Many thanks again to the grin team

This Phaserunner ended up being a huge pita to setup for this motor. There's too many parameters and I'm not smart enough to understand it yet. It ended up being easier to fix my other controller, but I'm back in biz.

I also whipped up a ghetto chain site tensioner so I can leave the sheets as they are while still able to remove chain without messing the alignment of everything else. Hoping to get a decent one from Mike down the road but so far so good after 30km.
IYNT66Cl.jpg

Sorry bout that controller it looked rather complex, looking at the comments backwards and forwards on its thread I thought you must be in pain being literally off road for so long.

What did you fix exactly on the controller?

Nice tensioner is that a bearing like for a hub motor?

It ended up just being a loose wire from the CA harness. Probably shoulda gutted it right away, just figured it would have been something out of my comfort zone - being inside the controller. Easy solder fix actually...happy dude

It's supposed to rain again today. Wish me luck...

I had it working in sensorless, although rather jerky until up-to-speed and it ran real quiet (at speed) and the controller was cold to the touch after 18 min of commute - motor was slightly warm.

There are just soooo many parameters that I have zero clue about so I'll save it for next project or play around when I have more time. It is really a neat little package and surprisingly powerful

so I can't do it with my direct plug in?

ah well I don't really care about the CA apart from temperature monitoring.... no probs... is there anyway that you can change settings so that when you pull on throttle you can get an average set?

anyways no probs, i got too many other things to worry about like this tank of a controller not coming with an ignition wire or on off switch....

24 hours no reply from vendor is frustrating when I need to keep arcing on off to get things working on the bike.... its unsafe to have to pull wires apart when building. :x

Hey John, there is definitely a way to use it with a standard two wired speedo. Grinn sells one i believe, and their support can tell u how to connect it. Required moving two wires to/from the pads in the ca- did it to mine a while back and am using a walmart cheapie for the pickup.

Btw, both yours and r3's bikes are looking good, hav fun!

Hahah
Sweeeet... Two squad-car sting waiting for me at work this morning! Apparently saw me speeding and tried to first catch me today (haha was cruising, not speeding today suckers) and then they grilled me about my bike and the law. It kinda turned into an ebike lesson for them!!

One of their concerns was that the bike is mine and not the one that was stolen a couple weeks ago. As pain in the ass as it is to get stopped, it was very cool to see them 'investigating' that bike theft!! I'd sure want them to investigate mine if it were even stolen.

All-in-all was a funny stop. After that theft I predicted I would be stopped within two weeks...sure enough!!

Its probably the son of a piggy, or a friend of a pig. That's all.
Someone ratted you out.
I would sue, pig harassment + triple time lost + consultation fee for teaching them the law! Which for lawyers is usually $300/hr, but it was your off time, so that fee there is triple time as well.

Anyone recommend me a good 24x2.35" rear tire?
I am running IRC Kujo DH and they're friggin awesome...looking for something relatively aggressive for winter without resorting to studs or winter rubber...

Back