r3volved's LR Norco @72v

That should run sweet. I'm making a custom frame for someone ATM, I wonder what the total clearance is for width between the two pulleys?

Took 'er to work today for the first time motorized. Full suspension is absolutely 100% more comfortable ride!

It was soooo sweet finally riding so smooth on a route that my spine has been intimately familiar with for so long!!

This thing is ridiculous...lol
I definitely need to invest in a quality throttle. I've managed to smooth out the acceleration enough to stay on the seat and going to wire in my throttle tamer this weekend too and see if that helps the twitchiness.

Samd said:
That should run sweet. I'm making a custom frame for someone ATM, I wonder what the total clearance is for width between the two pulleys?
Between the jackshaft and the bottom bracket (how tall it is)? Or between the left and right sprockets of the jackshaft (how wide it is)?

Just the width.

Norco is all about the ride. Awesome.

Try a few different throttles,they don't all have the same resolution. Some are jerky, some are nonlinear. Some are both. :cry:

How long did it take to get your batteries once you wired the money? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm nervous as hell to wire money. I was in the bank again today to wire the money and they wanted $45 to transfer the funds. Is there any way around this?

I paid through my online banking. From payment to Quentin - to my door was about a week and a half to two weeks. Super quick and freaking amazing quality.

My battery experience has been:
Quentin (ex-battery.com) - 1-2 weeks to my door with discussion and updates along the way.
Ping battery - 1-2 weeks to my door no communication.
Vpower - 12 weeks (90 days) to my door no communication.

Samd said:
Just the width.

Norco is all about the ride. Awesome.

Try a few different throttles,they don't all have the same resolution. Some are jerky, some are nonlinear. Some are both. :cry:
The kit is about 17cm wide. Outer edge of pulley to outer edge of sprocket (jack shaft) is 15cm. Inside edge of pulley to inside edge of sprocket is 11cm.
The pulley side would need caution in design clearance. You probably wouldn't want to go wider than a 73mm bottom bracket for the small block kit. Big block is wider afaik.

Here's my newest stage of elemental resistance :D
Hacked up some 1/4" closed cell foam matting I found at the surplus store. Turned out to be pretty decent protection.
6aZBc8c.jpg

Now to make a slip cover for it - a la Jon Bozi tshirt skin.

Well I finally got around to mounting a Pelican-type case to the front fork.
jdlNZ0I.jpg

It's my new mobile-toolbox and trunk space - good to finally say goodbye to carrying a backpack everywhere.
JgY6Kz0.jpg

OEqQrPW.jpg

Turned out super easy to mount with just bolts and rubber jacketed clamps - since I'm not holding a bunch of battery weight I can't see much wrong with it (yet) :D

Added a new bolt to my quiver today with 'hub servicing' :D easy peasy!!

Front hub has been clunky in reverse since I got the bike and today I had a clunk on every forward rotation. Stopped and got some bearings, grease and a cone wrench and flew through the repair no problem.
Old bearings were toasted!! I'm glad I didn't do any superman dives.

Picked up some bearings for my rear hub too for a weekend project - though I'm reading that my current rear hub is junk...it's not performing bad right now; I figured I'd grab bearings and overhaul it at the same time though anyway...upgrade only if needed.

Here it is now with fenders
MgWYirz.jpg

bLSC8w5.jpg

I also have a cheap little camera on its way too so some ride videos will be in order :D

Rear hub overhauled today. Bearings were still pretty good, but gummed up real bad. Replaced them anyway. Noticed the axle had some play as I was taking it apart so I'm sure they were getting a thrashing in there. Everything is nice and snug again! Didn't feel too bad before, not sure I'll notice much difference.

I also met up with ES member Trick on the train path while I was on my way home the other day! He's got a sweet 'tricked' out, fully hand-made recumbent. Cool dude - we musta chatted for a good half hour. We've flown by each other a couple times...either time crunched or too distracted to e-notice until it was too late. Glad I got to chat with him this time.

Yep, that was a good meet-up, r3volved. I was wondering what you thought when you heard a complete stranger yell out your ES name.
I recognized your ride from your posted pics and had seen you a few times before. I've been using that spur line (to get back and forth to work) for more than 10 years now, and they finally decided to pave a path down there.
It will be torn up all summer for the build, but its going to be smooth sailing after that. You won't be seeing me in the next two weeks cuz I'm on vacation, have fun and take it easy out there.

Thanks a bunch!
It keeps everything snug to the frame and quite low profile. So far I like it! I think the only better option is inside the frame...would be cool to replicate it wider - similar to the LMX guys (my original ebike inspiration was actually the LMX1)

Nice foam box......
That's what he said. :)

r3volved said:
Here's my newest stage of elemental resistance :D
Hacked up some 1/4" closed cell foam matting I found at the surplus store. Turned out to be pretty decent protection.
6aZBc8c.jpg

Now to make a slip cover for it - a la Jon Bozi tshirt skin.

LOL I downloaded this pic a while ago and now it has more value.

I was going to mention how it reminded me of my open style of fabrication

I use a shadow conspiracy 1/2"
http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/chains/#!/c/1677279/inview=product6928222&offset=0&sort=normal
Their supreme one will hold 1500lbs

I went from a hard tail to this and it feels like I'm floating! I can launch over train tracks at 50kph and just land on a cushion where the hard tail sounded like it was rattling apart. The torque is strong enough to cause a bit of squat on hard accel...even while already in motion. I kinda like it though...it helps me hop stuff easier with a heavier bike.

mate could you take a few close up pics of your rear sprockets and drive line?

I just bought the fouriers kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-speed-cog-fix-disc-hub-Teeth-16T-FOURIERS-Logo-/161775917695?hash=item25aa989a7f

I got the 20t full kit as that is the highest and only way I could buy it. You mentioned running 3 of them, but thats a lot of bits unneeded and also you mentioned a long screw all of them could you give details please?

I see origin 8 have a similar looking product... I mean all I want is the red adapters since they dont have the 23t I wanted... not only that 23 might still even be too fast for me.

cheers.

Ya sure dude, I'll snap some pics after work.

Here is a pic from my last bike (20t + 16t):
PP1OLix.jpg

I use the same setup on the r3norco with the exception of the tensioner...I use this (see link below) tensioner now which is spring driven to provide enough chain length for me to manually flip my chain to the other sprocket set.
Tensioner: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BDW-Chain-Tensioner-for-changing-multiple-speed-to-Single-Speed-NEW-Improved-/231609818225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ed055c71

#1 Great build, been watching for a while, but ES gets you going in all directions! i always liked norco dh frames.im really digging the manual sprocket change with tensioner,im gonna go look that up. :)

beast775 said:
#1 Great build, been watching for a while, but ES gets you going in all directions! i always liked norco dh frames.im really digging the manual sprocket change with tensioner,im gonna go look that up. :)
The reason I went manual swap between sprockets was 100% just because I found I was never changing gears...so I went single speed for drive train strength instead - stronger chain options, no worry of derailleur failure or alignment, no worry of chain line alignment (each 'cassette' sprocket lines up with its relative chainwheel partner), this tensioner seems to maintain the chain engagement better than derailleur and has eliminated chain drop for me.

Just having the option HAS come in VERY handy on several occasions.

The most benefit I've gotten was when I've had to peddle home...bike is quite heavy now and peddling single speed on the speediest setup is not much fun unless downhill...swapping for easier peddle has saved my ass (and legs and back) a couple times now.

The second most benefit is when I've gone hard trail riding...in those cases I prefer lower speed with more climbing torque. For my general commute I always keep it on the fastest, lowest torque setup.

For the amount of time I swap speeds, this setup works excellent.

Back