Roadster E-Board Build (videos added 15/06/14)

Cheers man.

Got a few bits and bobs sorted finally. The motor is now mounted as it will be:

epvIiOj.jpg

ZRAwrK0.jpg

V1g0Qj2.png

JKQzrYx.jpg

It looks like the motor will foul the deck when the truck is mounted but I have measured it and I'm pretty sure it clears. There are a few other little niggles to iron out but overall I'm pretty chuffed. Can't wait to get it all built!

daverobson08 said:
It looks like the motor will foul the deck when the truck is mounted but I have measured it and I'm pretty sure it clears.

luckily, the pics are your favor to believe so :twisted: keep going, this looks really nice !

Yeah I originally planned on the pulley fitting round the hanger rather than just the axle and originally I was going to use a different wheel with wider bolt spacing.

It was bored out to 50mm diameter on a lathe. I have a retaining plate to hold the pulley on but it adds a little too much thickness. The nuts hold the pulley on fine, the washers are just there to spread the load.

Just took her for a little spin up and down the road. It's brilliant fun! :D I had a few observations:

> The turning circle is huge! I don't know whether this is due to the long wheelbase, the wide wheelbase or the tightness of the kingpin. Either way, it's like trying to steer a train compared to the street skateboards I am used to from when I was younger!

> It won't start up from stationary with me on it. It only takes one or two pushes to get it going but it would be nice for it to start by itself.

> It slows to a stop quite quickly. When I release the throttle, it is a little unnatural how quickly it stops! This probably just takes a little getting used to though.

> It cogs if I don't increase the throttle gradually to get it up to higher speeds (I think this is normal though?)

> It is scary! I did push it briefly to max throttle but I had visions of loose wheel nuts in my head and I had to slow down again!

Overall I am very pleased. With a few little tweaks I will be even more happy. I definitely need to get some grip tape on the deck. It is raining at the moment and it doesn't make for a very stable platform!

Unfortunately, I don't think they are selling them anymore. I have contacted the seller to see whether he will restock them or tell me where he purchased them.

That being said, I had to grind out the hubs to fit them on a 10mm axle. Should fit fine on an 8mm axle though. They don't spin very evenly but they're alright (look at beetbocks Urban Commuter thread for similar issue with wheels).

EDIT: Scratch that, I just found them! :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-mountai..._Skateboarding_Skating_ET&hash=item43c7262636

Murfix said:
I didn't compare to a 6s setup, so I don't know how much better it is, but I do know this: I can't go much higher in gearing ratio, because the sprockets will be larger than my wheels... so there's my limit. I'm currently using 45/8 teeth, so 5.625:1 reduction.

Im using 7" wheels on my current build and initially thought about using a belt (quieter and nicer looking) but achieving the the gearing ratio was diffciult (6:1) also was advised against using sprockets with less than 6 or preferably 7 teeth catching due to belt slip, the minimum pulley that had 6 tooth hold was 16..... so that generated a 16 tooth sprocket to 96 tooth pulley.. and I was unable to find one that big.. so I went with #25 chains and sprockets.. it has worked well so far... although louder and less stylish..
Regarding 8s charging use a double charge lead and charge them in parallel, no hassle there and you can save some cash compared to the big 8s charger...

Just use regular mountainboard skate trucks like MBS ats or Trampa skate trucks in the front, they turn way better than these MBS Vectors. Vectors have pivot cups both in front and back that keeps the hanger/axle from rotating. A skate truck has only one front pivot cup, allowing the hanger to actually rotate.

Pediglide said:
Just use regular mountainboard skate trucks like MBS ats or Trampa skate trucks in the front, they turn way better than these MBS Vectors. Vectors have pivot cups both in front and back that keeps the hanger/axle from rotating. A skate truck has only one front pivot cup, allowing the hanger to actually rotate.

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised the difference until you just explained it! So you think I could get away with just one of these trucks at the front? Do you think wedging them would help?

daverobson08 said:
Pediglide said:

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised the difference until you just explained it! So you think I could get away with just one of these trucks at the front? Do you think wedging them would help?

Yes, a mountainboard skate truck in front. I also got my skate truck wedged and it carves really well. I also tried a board like yours (carve-one from ebay) and those boards are narrow, i think about 8" width. It does not put a lot of leverage on the trucks so turning is quite minimal.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. I'll be sure to pump the tyres up as much as poss Pediglide and I'll get an MBS skate truck ordered for the front. Hopefully my drive mount will fit on it and I can stick one on the back too.

Any ideas why it won't start with me on it?

> I weigh ~85kg / ~190lbs

> 192kv Turnigy SK3 6374

> Geared 17:60

> 125mm wheels

Wheels too big? Geared too low? I eat too much for my lunch?

looks ok to me (mine starts from standstill with 140mm wheels, 10/30 ratio, 6S, 180kV 6374 unsensored motor, 90kg...)
I see one thing left : the ESC... timing ? start up parameters ? (plenty of parameters to play with and potentially produce some magic smoke :p ) ...I think yours is quite uncommon...

daverobson08 said:
...Hopefully my drive mount will fit on it and I can stick one on the back too.

Any ideas why it won't start with me on it?

From the looks of it, if you use MBS ats trucks, it's possible.

That's just how non-sensored brushless motors starts, they need a bit of a push because the ESC cannot read any feedback from a stationary motor.
You could try this, http://e0designs.com/products/hall-effect-sensor-board/ or bruno's sensored motors. I haven't have a sensored setup so I cannot comment.

The thing that you really have to worry about is, how is that small motor going to hold up trying to stop you from WOT.

How is the wiichuck controller working? I have been interested in playing with arduinos for other projects, but making a controller seems like a cool way to cut ones teeth on.
Also that Toro ESC seems like a good pick, but I am curious on how its handling that demanding application. I am doing a similar project on a Carve board, see pictures below, and am trying to pick a ESC but don't really wanna burn up a couple before I get one that works :evil: I'm trying to avoid spending $200+ US on a Castle Creation ESC.
Great build. Looks really clean. Cant wait to see another video of it cruising around. 8)

made_in_the_alps - Yes I hadn't thought about the ESC, that's a good point. It's tough trying to understand the ESC settings in Chinglish!

Pediglide - Nice link, I'm pretty sure my ESC has a sensor port too but I might be wrong on that one.

Crsbones - To be honest it isn't! I had a lot of trouble with it. Some people have had more luck but bluetooth is definitely not as reliable as 2.4GHz. Check out this thread for more info on people's progress: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57316. So far the Toro has been fine with my limited testing it hasn't even got warm. The bluetooth is handy as is the power switch. Can't complain about it at all. It still needs some longer range/hill/braking tests though.

I got my friend to take a quick video earlier on today. Nothing exciting, I'm still getting to grips with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXeJsq--Kg

HHDo45a.png

I would switch the trucks around. The end where the motor is has a higher angle than the other, you would want that to be your front end...kind of like having it wedged. I'm liking the clean, minimalistic look.

Also, putting really gritty griptape on it will make your feet more planted to better initiate turns. I would go with these:

http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/vicious-grip-clear-cut-clear-griptape.html
http://www.lucidcleargrip.com/products/lucid-grip-heavy

Pediglide - I hadn't even realised that! Now that I look at it, there is definitely a difference. Thanks for that :) I think the tyres definitely need properly inflating. They seem to be difficult to fill up with a bicycle pump. I might invest in a digital compressor or just a foot pump.

Back