sobvoton 7280 controller display goes black upon power up with mxus motor

erthservnt13

100 µW
Greetings,
I have an NBPower 72 volt 3000 watt 80a hub motor with a sobvoton 7280 controller. I ruined the hall sensor due to spinout from a bracket failure. I purchased a new MXUS 72 volt 3000 watt 3k turbo hub motor instead of repairing the NB Power motor. I was told by the supplier of the MXUS that I would be able to operate the mxus motor with the sobvoton controller that I have. I have everything assembled and plugged in. It does not function. When I power it on, the display flashes the NB Power logo for a second and then goes black. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
Moved your thread to the motor technology section since it's not about Electric Bicycles--Bike Mechanical & Structural (the forum you posted it in), but is talking about motors and controllers instead.

I also recommend that you edit your first post to change the title from the useless "please help" to something that describes more specifically what you want / need.

Regarding the actual problem, if you had an axle spinout, that usually shorts phases and low voltage hall signal wires together, which usually damages or destroys the controller along with the halls themselves, and can also damage or destroy anything else that was connected to the controller at the time, such as displays, throttles, etc, if the phase (battery level) voltages were fed into the hall signal or power lines, as those go to or thru many other parts, none of which are designed to run on battery voltage.

Note that it's just as likely that the motor halls are not damaged but the controller inputs or pullups or 5v supply is instead.

There are threads about torque arms / plates / etc to prevent the spinout problem; I'd recommend implementing at least one of the various solutions before attempting to operate the new motor with whatever new controller you replace this one with (or if you get this one working again).

Regarding the actual problem, if you had an axle spinout, that usually shorts phases and low voltage hall signal wires together, which usually damages or destroys the controller along with the halls themselves, and can also damage or destroy anything else that was connected to the controller at the time, such as displays, throttles, etc, if the phase (battery level) voltages were fed into the hall signal or power lines, as those go to or thru many other parts, none of which are designed to run on battery voltage.

Note that it's just as likely that the motor halls are not damaged but the controller inputs or pullups or 5v supply is instead.

There are threads about torque arms / plates / etc to prevent the spinout problem; I'd recommend implementing at least one of the various solutions before attempting to operate the new motor with whatever new controller you replace this one with (or if you get this one working again).
I am grateful for your time and input. I have already acquired what seems to be a vastly superior torque arm from Grin Technologies as well their Statorade and set of heat sinks for the hub from another source. Prior to removal of the NB Power motor, the only error message I received was in regards to the hall sensor. I switched to the 2nd hall sensor, made it about 1/2 mile, then received the hall sensor error message for the second hall sensor. Prior to removal of the NB Power hub, the display functioned, showing the hall sensor error message. if there was nothing wrong with the controller, connections, or motor would the sobvoton controller that came with the NB Power motor operate the mxus motor without any programming input, change to the parameters, etc.?

Amberwolf,
if there was nothing wrong with the controller, connections, or motor would the sobvoton controller that came with the NB Power motor operate the mxus motor without any programming input, change to the parameters, etc.?

Amberwolf,
if there was nothing wrong with the controller, connections, or motor would the sabvoton controller that came with the NB Power motor operate the mxus motor without any programming input, change to the parameters, etc.?

I recently purchased an MXUS 72 volt 3k turbo 80a motor thinking that my old sabvoton controller and UKC1 display from an NBPower motor would function with it. They do not. I have been told that a Kun Ray controller will operate the MXUS motor as long the volts, watts, and amps match the motor specs. does anyone know if this is true? if it is, then what display will function properly with them?

I have a 72 volt MXUS 3k turbo motor that I have connected to a Kun-ray 72 volt 3000 watt 80 amp dual mode controller. I have been told the controller does not require a display to function. It is a different controller than I am familiar with. It does not have a PAS system. It has a 3 speed throttle system that required the aquistion of a new throttle. it also has connections for reverse, high and low level brakes, as well as turn signals and a headlight. I have left them all unconnected. It also has 2 wires labeled self-study that I have been told need to be connected upon first powering up and then disconnected for operation. I have done so. The motor does not function. I am ignorant. I do not know if they are compatible. Please advise.

Edited your title for clarity and moved it out of the bike mechanical section.

Back